The Romanoffs

124»

Comments

• A revenge/twist story is usually a crowd pleaser, unless it's loaded down with this much bloat. All the filler in this episode, and pointless dead ends, took away any tension I should've felt building within the episode itself. 
    I agree with kudos for casting but demerits for not ageing with makeup, were they that afraid of revealing the twist too early?
    I think it didn't even live up to the one-sentence synopsis.
  • Well it is over now.  The last episode was not the worst.  I think if the ending was different, and if they didn't try to force the Russian nesting doll structure, it may have been one of the best of the series (not exactly high praise, since the series was fairly mediocre in my opinion).  It is hard for meto separate real-life politics from shows that take on issues that are so sensitive and topical and the ending struck me as a step backward in how it portrayed trans people whereas before it had previously handled the topic with some depth and insight.  Just judging the story on its merits without putting politics into it - it still was not a great ending.  As others have brought up, how did John not recognize his own family's story?  And it seems to me that Simon/Candace has a legal claim to all Romanoff heirlooms since he is the only biological offspring of a Romanoff in the family.  Though less dramatic for TV I would have liked to see him beat Ondine in court rather than murder her beloved innocent son.

Other minor comments: 
    I knew the drink was poisoned as soon as it showed up.  Guess I am conditioned to be suspicious of drinks from strangers in all situations.  

Is group therapy a finale crutch for Matt Weiner?  I immediately thought of Mad Men finale during the group session.  

Did the Jack character say the Romanoff miniseries was about to air on TV?  That would have been an interesting story to know how the series got filmed after one lead actress left with drug issues and another died at the start of filming.  

Without the awful and tone-deaf episode 5, I think I would be ranking this series higher than I am.  It was a self-indulgent mess in many ways but did have a lot of strong moments.  I like that it was ambitious and is not a cookie-cutter type show.  Just wish it had been more quality overall.  

JoshuaHeter
  • Is there a Bald Move wrap party somewhere so we can all celebrate that the series is over?

This series was such a mess. Even the episodes I might have liked if they were in some other show just seemed clunky and off but I just can't put my finger on it. It might be that there were just so many horrible people in this series that I always felt uncomfortable.

Whatever, we're done! We made it! Raise your glasses everyone, I don't have a toast here, just drink until you forget you wasted your time on The Romanoffs.
    MichelleGiovanniblacksunrise7
  • edited November 2018
    Ah, I’m f’d. I’m watching the train scene and feeling like the guy...I’m on an 8 hour meta ride stuck next to someone telling a mildly interesting story about something I don’t really care about. By the end, even if there was a valid point, I’m so annoyed that I’ve tuned out.

If someone says it was worth the previous time spent, I’ll rewatch the last one with more attention. 
    Giovanni
  • rkcrawf said:
    Ah, I’m f’d. I’m watching the train scene and feeling like the guy...I’m on an 8 hour meta ride stuck next to someone telling a mildly interesting story about something I don’t really care about. By the end, even if there was a valid point, I’m so annoyed that I’ve tuned out.

If someone says it was worth the previous time spent, I’ll rewatch the last one with more attention. 
    What if Weiner poisoned us before the episode ended and we don't know it yet?
  • rkcrawf said:
    Did you at least get the beacon all set up?

• I only continued to watched this show to listen to Jim and Aron and in my feelings of disappointment. What's crazy to me is that people love, I mean LOVE, this show. An ad popped up in my instagram feed for the show. I decided to look at the comments. Who comments on ads?! People that liked this show. That's who. 
  • @Sara that is interesting. I checked The amazon reviews out of curiosity and they are split with roughly equal amounts 1 star and 5 star reviews and very few 2-4 star,  making an inverted bell shaped curve. Seems like people either loved or hated the Romanoffs.  Amazon  stopped allowing more reviews apparently before all episodes aired so who knows if this reflects reality. 

I cant say I only watched because of the bald move coverage though it was a big part. It was kind of an interesting train wreck in my opinion and I was curious how each episode would turn out. But I don’t think it was a good show that should be continued.