310 - Stingers

WoW

Even with the pace of this season I didn't see that "coming out" scene coming. Pretty intense.
Elisapavlovsbell

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    That was unreal, so well acted, well worth the wait. That really should have ended the show, I couldn't believe there was more episode.
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Loved this episode. Is Stan putting everything together? Defector? Martha? Etc?
    pavlovsbell
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I love that this season set up the Kimmie thing so you thought it was going to be Philip being basically forced into being a creepy perv, when in fact that storyline has been mostly used to compare with Paige's life. When Philip looked at that photo and realised how unhappy Kimmie was with her father never being around was a great example of "show, don't tell".

I wonder about Pastor Tim though - when he was going on about how Philip should treat Paige as an adult that sounded like classic older guy grooming behaviour. I wonder if HE is going to turn out to be the creepy perv in this whole story.
    ksa1001pavlovsbellElisasteph_b
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited April 2015
    @Dee I'm with you. That entire convo he was having with Phillips' back turned, I had little doubt that if he said the wrong thing he would get his throat ripped out.

As for the episode, I guess we know why they made Paige start looking more grown in this season, they knew this arc was coming.

It's been a running gag in my house that the daughters of families on TV shows are always the smart ones (that know what's going on with the parents/show), and they make the sons seem like total dumasses that just linger in the background.

The Americans is continuing this proud TV tradition following others like; The Sopranos, Homeland, Mad Men, Heroes, etc

PS: Loved the Peter Brady voice change that Henry is going through. We heard it everytime he spoke in this episode.
    pavlovsbellElisasteph_b
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Brilliant episode.  Easily one of the best of the series and certainly the most important one so far.  I love how telling Paige became not about recruitment but an act of love, which is really what the show is -- all the spy stuff is a way of exploring love and allegiance.  After a season of Elizabeth hellbent on telling Paige over Philip's objections, she crumbles when Paige forces their hand.  Elizabeth can't get the words out, so Philip is the one who starts.  It was a masterful way to flip the dynamics and overall really just incredible.
    ElisaAmelia
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited April 2015
    Dee said:

I love that this season set up the Kimmie thing so you thought it was going to be Philip being basically forced into being a creepy perv, when in fact that storyline has been mostly used to compare with Paige's life. When Philip looked at that photo and realised how unhappy Kimmie was with her father never being around was a great example of "show, don't tell".

I wonder about Pastor Tim though - when he was going on about how Philip should treat Paige as an adult that sounded like classic older guy grooming behaviour. I wonder if HE is going to turn out to be the creepy perv in this whole story.

All the more reason that it is disappointing that BM dropped covering this - the perv thing was never going to happen.  It has in fact been a great story line.  Great episode, great season, great show.  Big hole in the BM empire.
    ksa1001ElisaDrewAlgorecon
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @tom_g In hindsight I wish A.Ron has stuck it out because it didn't go in the direction it looked like it was going to, but to be fair, I was convinced that Philip was going to sleep with Kimmie and then just spend the rest of the season feeling mopey about it. The twist on that plot really surprised me.
    hypergenesbElisaCorychrisk
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @ksa1001 boys mature at an older age that's all.  I don't think Henry is a lot less smarter than Paige, just different priorities.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited April 2015
    @Elisa Like "TRON" and pictures of the former neighbor-lady (what a creep)
    Elisa
  • Something is definitely going on with Pastor Tim. I'm thinking he might've been sent by the Center after all. He worked very hard in this episode to push both Paige and Philip to a confrontation.

Stan is suspicious about Martha but unwilling to reveal the suspicions to his superiors. Maybe he starts trailing her and ends up finding out about Clark/Philip in the finale.

ElisaAlgorecon
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @ksa1001 I raised two sons...so yeah lol spot on really.  Totally agree @Amelia Phillip & Elizabeth better watch out for Pastor Tim.  I am enjoying the defector angle as well as Nina's though very slow burns.  
    Amelia
  • It would be very VERY interesting if Pastor Tim were sent by the Center, as it was predicted by ARon.  An excuse to get back in??  Maybe a year end wrap up??
    Amelia
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I still don't get an off vibe about Pastor Tim.  I think it's more interesting to keep him as a positive influence in Paige's life, because it will make her more conflicted as the story progresses.  His actions in this episode were consistent with what a mentor might do, but especially a clergyman who sees a chance to possibly grow his flock.  Elizabeth has been going to church with Paige for months, so Tim may think there's a chance he can convert her and possibly even Philip if they go on the mission.  Mostly I think he's just trying to help a kid who's in pain.  
    Ameliasteph_b
  • Great show, damn they really built it up and it showed in spades with the Paige reveal.
    Elisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Saul, Justified and this were a 1-2-3 punch last week, one night after the other. Arguably the best episodes for each too, though I think I actually liked Elizabeth and the old woman better than this one. But this is where the show has been heading, so it's a big payoff. 

Interesting that this happens right about the time Martha is in danger of being found out. Makes me wonder if we're headed for a big change in direction in the season finale. 
    pavlovsbellElisahypergenesbksa1001