Sharp Objects Ep. 7 - Falling

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writers: Gillian Flynn & Scott Brown
KingKobra

Comments

• *i only watch the show zero book or spoilers for me* 1. Mama beat her to hell she wasn’t hurt, munchousins by proxy 
    2. This is a tyler Durden thing. This isn’t real. Her sister is her or she is her sister but she as a 40 year old doesn’t exist! And if she does she is in a padded cell! 
    If she curt her curls off and this other girl did. It’s some kind of projection of her reality into some other place.... i can’t place it but this isn’t real. 
  • 10 min in and I realize I should have paid more attention to @A_Ron_Hubbard’s MBP theory from last week. I will need to go back and relisten to see what the clues were. 

Also, I’m craving a grilled cheese. 
    Blusister
  • edited August 2018
    A few things:

1. Alan is a complete shit. Once Adora kills six or seven more of his daughters he might stand up to her. Honey I'm drawing the line at a dozen girls, half being mine!

2. That is creepiest I have ever heard The Everly Brothers. Turns out it's an old song that's been covered a ton of times. First time I've heard it

3. What is with this author? She writes some of the scummiest women ever. Are there any nice women in her books? I guess Margo in Gone Girl, but that might just be because Carrie Coon played her!
    KingKobramajjam0770Blusister
  • That was a tough one to watch...I feel sick. 
    Jdavis2037
  • Um, so Alan doesn't find it at all odd that Adora has her little apothecary kit to mix her "bitter and sweet" concoctions instead of just giving Amma Advil and Pedialyte for her hangovers? And Marian before that? Was he always just like, "ah yes, it makes perfect sense and is not-at-all suspicious that my loving wife is creating healing potions with god-knows-what powders for our daughters in vials and bottles like fucking Gargamel"?
  • Well, that was the cheeriest episode yet....The music on top of what was going on just took it to a different level. When you have a small “close knit” town EVERYONE is family.....should have seen that clue earlier with how much everyone treated each other like family (even if poorly).fck this show is so good, but emotionally I feel damn dark after watching it. 

Freiberg
  • Camille apparently went to the Jimmy McNulty school of trapping suspects. 
    MurderbearrkcrawfCapeGabeWa1kingDistanceAww_PHuuCkroxbombersShum
  • edited August 2018
    I really liked this episode. I was a little annoyed at the beginning because I feel like I heard MBP "speculation" pretty early on, and it was obvious what was coming based just on the previously on. But, I got over it and got sucked in by the performances and just the depravity of it all.

A lot going on but here are some thoughts:
    • The scene at the bar in "Bean Town" mirrored Camille's earlier encounter at the bar with John. In this case, she orders two shots, but she doesn't know he's there so they're presumably both for her.
    • Amma's phone case feature's the daisies we saw on Ann's bike. After this episode, I think this may just mean that Jackie empathizes with these girls.
    • They don't back down on Willis being a bit of a creep, but I guess it ends up being okay police work? At least, he gives the docs to Camille, still pretty gross.
    • Amma seems fairly healthy for having been given "the blue" before. Maybe Adora is ramping things up? I guess she's got herself a stronger cocktail than Oxy, MDMA, and alcohol.
  • I really liked this episode. I was a little annoyed at the beginning because I feel like I heard MBP "speculation" pretty early on, and it was obvious what was coming based just on the previously on. But, I got over it and got sucked in by the performances and just the depravity of it all.

• The scene at the bar in "Bean Town" mirrored Camille's earlier encounter at the bar with John. In this case, she orders two shots, but she doesn't know he's there so they're presumably both for her.
    • Amma's phone case feature's the daisies we saw on Ann's bike. After this episode, I think this may just mean that Jackie empathizes with these girls.
    • They don't back down on Willis being a bit of a creep, but I guess it ends up being okay police work? At least, he gives the docs to Camille, still pretty gross.
    • Amma seems fairly healthy for having been given "the blue" before. Maybe Adora is ramping things up? I guess she's got herself a stronger cocktail than Oxy, MDMA, and alcohol.
    Camille knew John was there. The dude at the karaoke bar told her to check out Bean Town. And while I don’t think Dick Willis is a saint, he is a detective. He’s investigating (good leads) and he’s rightfully pissed off at Camille fucking John. Everyone has their own morale code, but it’s fucked up in at least 3-4 ways by mine. 
  • I really liked this episode. I was a little annoyed at the beginning because I feel like I heard MBP "speculation" pretty early on, and it was obvious what was coming based just on the previously on. But, I got over it and got sucked in by the performances and just the depravity of it all.

It’s a slow poisoning until she is ready to give the “final doses”. This is why they prefaced her sister being in and out of the hospitals (as well as Amma having her own lengthy history). Adora is a powerhouse in the community that easily quiets any negative news (probably with help from Sheffif). 
    johnnytruant
  • That episode was really fucking hard to watch... like watching train wreck, one painful frame at a time. 
    EMAW42
  • edited August 2018
    So are we supposed to get the impression that Adora is giving a super high dose to Amma in this episode to try to kill her quickly, or is this just her normal procedure and she only wants to take her to the hospital to make a public show of taking care of her? The dead sister obviously was poisoned over a long period of time.
  • KingKobra said:
    I really liked this episode. I was a little annoyed at the beginning because I feel like I heard MBP "speculation" pretty early on, and it was obvious what was coming based just on the previously on. But, I got over it and got sucked in by the performances and just the depravity of it all.

It’s a slow poisoning until she is ready to give the “final doses”. This is why they prefaced her sister being in and out of the hospitals (as well as Amma having her own lengthy history). Adora is a powerhouse in the community that easily quiets any negative news (probably with help from Sheffif). 
    I forgot they showed Amma's medical history too. I guess I thought they implied more deteriorating health in Marian, which doesn't seem in evidence in Amma. Maybe medical tech at the time made it easier to present Marian as "sick" (given the hospital bed and such) whereas with Amma she leans on "curing" her hangovers.

I have a bold prediction that Vickery won't be complicit in this, but the evidence isn't there to support it.
  • It seemed at first like Vickery knew about the poisoning and helped cover it up. With the look on his face at the end I’m wondering if he didn’t believe it before but is starting to now?
    johnnytruantWa1kingDistance
  • edited August 2018
    The end game, I think after seeing the dang next week previews and the beginning of this episode again:

The only reason I’m putting this in spoilers is because it takes a bit of “next week on”. 

Camille sacrifices herself to save Amma and many more. From the flashes it seems Camille always fought the poison, but both of her sisters unfortunately gave into it and made it “easy”. In the preview it shows Adora saying “Ive been waiting so long for this”, which I think connects to Camille finally taking the blue bottle without fighting. 

• It seemed at first like Vickery knew about the poisoning and helped cover it up. With the look on his face at the end I’m wondering if he didn’t believe it before but is starting to now?
    I think he just preferred to be in the dark. When he was talking to Jackie he made some comment about preferring to pretend some issues in the town didn't exist. Then at the end when he is talking to the 2 girls he warns them about a a drunk guy running them off the road and they say something like "or a woman...". That's kind of been one of the themes this whole show. Everyone assumes the killer is a guy for multiple reasons. When the girls said that to him it looked like things just started to click in his head. 
    KingKobraMurderbearFreiberg
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited August 2018
    Way better episode than the last few. Even though all the awful people continue to get more awful, the episode actually went somewhere and is bringing things together nicely. 

I don't think Adora is going to end up being the actual killer, and we may never find out who actually killed the girls. It's one thing to slowly poison her daughters over a period of years and an entirely different thing to brutally murder two girls. I can't see her pulling teeth or even depositing the body in the alley. At the very least, she had an accomplice.

I could see Alan being the killer and likely doing it behind Adora's back. Perhaps Adora was actually trying to help Ann and Natalie. She found two girls that actually needed her help, and Alan murdered them as an act of revenge for Adora taking away his daughters. He's also got a ton of pent up frustration that could probably be released by pulling some teeth.

The one thing that worries me is the "Prove you're not dead" line. I don't think the show will be better if they try and pull something like Camille is actually Marion and the real Camille was killed by Adora because she wouldn't take the blue, or even worse if Camille isn't a real person and just a split personality of someone else or some nonsense like that.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 2018
    Feels a little out of left field that we seem to have suddenly learned that Amma has a lengthy mystery medical history of her own and isn't just some wild child who runs around at all hours of the morning as she appeared.  If we had had that information there would have been a lot less mystery.  

Murderbearghm3majjam0770Pangsduncanpowers
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Feels a little out of left field that we seem to have suddenly learned that Amma has a lengthy mystery medical history of her own and isn't just some wild child who runs around at all hours of the morning as she appeared.  If we had had that information there would have been a lot less mystery.  

Yeah, I do believe that in the beginning of the season Adora says she's aways been a "sickly little thing" but that's really it I think. It did sort of come out of left field.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I wondered if Adora was checking in the other girls to the hospital under the guise of them being Amma. It seems impractical now that I say it out loud, more than the hospital staff would ever go along with. 
    @KingKobra I appreciate the spoiler tag... it seems like watching those are pretty spoilery and except for one week I've avoided it.
    KingKobra
  • Hunkulese said:

I don't think Adora is going to end up being the actual killer, and we may never find out who actually killed the girls. It's one thing to slowly poison her daughters over a period of years and an entirely different thing to brutally murder two girls. I can't see her pulling teeth or even depositing the body in the alley. At the very least, she had an accomplice.
    Yeah, after reading this I would have to agree. A scene of Adora yanking teeth out and fainting after each one would be amusing though.
    Murderbear
  • Nope, still Adora.

Alan obviously helped Adora RE: the teeth business.

I mean, if he can be an accomplice to Adora poisoning his daughter, he can probably comply with anything.
  • Also, if there is some fight-clubish split personality thing going here, I'm calling bullshit. There has been absolutely no reason to suspect that so far.
    BlusisterFreiberg
  • hitmy said:
    Nope, still Adora.

Alan obviously helped Adora RE: the teeth business.

I mean, if he can be an accomplice to Adora poisoning his daughter, he can probably comply with anything.
    John may not have been bullshitting when he said they have a tool at the hog farm for removing teeth. And it's established that both girls are biters (and even bit Adora in the past?). But yea she likely had some help.
    Pangs
    edited August 2018
    duncanpowers
  • So what was the brown folder we saw? I thought that was pictures of the dead girls? Was that just Amma's medical history?
  • rkcrawf said:
    So what was the brown folder we saw? I thought that was pictures of the dead girls? Was that just Amma's medical history?
    The one Willis dropped in Camille's car was a bunch of medical request forms (like for an autopsy) on Marian, made by Jackie. The requests were all denied.

I think this was different than the folder Amma found in Camille's room, which looked like the case file with the pictures.
    JaimieTrkcrawf
    rkcrawf said:
    So what was the brown folder we saw? I thought that was pictures of the dead girls? Was that just Amma's medical history?
    The one Willis dropped in Camille's car was a bunch of medical request forms (like for an autopsy) on Marian, made by Jackie. The requests were all denied.

I think this was different than the folder Amma found in Camille's room, which looked like the case file with the pictures.

Which is so sobering now that I have a better understanding what she was thinking. I mean I knew she was trying to get away at that point, but I didn't feel confident saying she thought her mother would kill her. I feel more confident saying that now, and so maybe it was the first time it occurred to her her mother killed these children, or maybe she already knows that and it was a sobering reminder of what is coming.
  • edited August 2018
    I think the implicit parallel Jackie draws between the blood mary, and "the blue" is interesting.

For once, Camille seems to be utterly uninterested in gulping down any booze at hand. My feeling here is that this is related to her dawning realization on the demise of her sister, and therefore has a source of action (confronting Adora).  

However, Camille does drink when commanded to, which Jackie comments on. Something the lines of "you drink when you're told, and it gets easier."

I think we're led to believe that, much to Adora's frustration, Camille never submitted to Adora's poisonous administrations. However, Camille has been poisoning, and harming herself. 

I'd kind of be disappointed if the finale had Camille subjecting herself to Adora (I'd like to see Adora and Alan go down in flames), but there is something of a thread there I think.
    JaimieTroxbombersPangs