Star Wars: What's your favourite....?

Just an open discussion about your favourite Star Wars movie, moment, character, plot, scene, etc

For me my favourite part of Star Wars is the last 30 minutes or so of Return of the Jedi. The 3 part battle is still in my mind some of the best epic film making ever. The 3 battles (endor, space and Death Star) are so well interwoven that it's just an amazing end to the trilogy. You never stay with one scene too long and each battle is epic in its own way. Luke's battle with his father and the emperor is so well cheorgraphed. The size and scale of the space battle truly feels like the empire vs the rebellion. And the battle of Endor is still good fun, especially for the younger Star Wars fans.

Return may not be the best movie but I don't think you'll find a better conclusion or battle elsewhere.
TravisTaraC73trippy

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    RotJ has always been underrated in my book.  I'd prefer to watch it over ANH any day.  I get that one has to be "the worst", and I really with George had stuck with the Ewoks being a Wookie slave camp that gets liberated by Han, Chewie, and Leia (can you even fucking imagine how much cooler that would have been?!), but everything that happens after "If you will not turn to the darkside, then perhaps she will!" is epic and perfect.  And the entire Jabba sequence from start to finish is gold. And the speederbikes in Endor?! Half of the reason I play Destiny is so I can zoom around on one of those things.

But my absolute favorite moment is the asteroid chase sequence.  The music is so great.  If I'm riding my motorcycle, and I'm not humming the theme to "Airwolf", I'm humming Johnny Dub's "The Asteroid Field" theme...

That's why I could never back Trek in any Trek v Wars argument.  Captain Picard gets caught in a dangerous asteroid / mine field?  Creeps forward on one quarter impulse.  Han Solo?  Floors it. 

hypergenesbHatorian
  • Empire. All. Day. Long. 

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."
    Hatorian
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    ESB. No contest.

The ATAT battle is awesome, and come on is there anything cooler than cloud city? The only scene with a non-Jedi using a light saber is great, and Han channelling Macguyver to keep Luke warm was awesome.

hypergenesbA_Ron_HubbardHatorian
  • trippy said:

I go with ROTJ.  As others have stated, the finale with Darth, Luke, and Palpatine is just great.  The emperor (aside from the jabs he gets in Family Guy-"Something Something Something Dahk SIDE")  is just fantastic.  "oh.... you want this, don't you" (tapping lukes lightsaber). 

btw Luke would be a shitty poker player.

I agree that the ewok's suck, but  I can logic that away the suckage a bit.  If there were Wookies there,  I think that would have clicked onto the emperor's force/prophetic/"it is as I have foreSEEN" radar, i.e. they wouldn't have built the deathstar there, or had more security on the slave camp or something would have been planned to have prevented the success of the rebellion strike on endor.  But the Ewoks, to the emperor, they were basically on the same level as squirrels or birds i.e. beneath notice.  Thus their aid  to the rebels was not foreSEEN and thus they weren't planned for and thus Palpatine takes a ride down the deathstar chimney.

But they still sucked, but I can overlook them.

I like that logic Trippy. I can ride with that.

• RotJ has always been underrated in my book.  I'd prefer to watch it over ANH any day.  I get that one has to be "the worst", and I really with George had stuck with the Ewoks being a Wookie slave camp that gets liberated by Han, Chewie, and Leia (can you even fucking imagine how much cooler that would have been?!), but everything that happens after "If you will not turn to the darkside, then perhaps she will!" is epic and perfect.  And the entire Jabba sequence from start to finish is gold. And the speederbikes in Endor?! Half of the reason I play Destiny is so I can zoom around on one of those things.

But my absolute favorite moment is the asteroid chase sequence.  The music is so great.  If I'm riding my motorcycle, and I'm not humming the theme to "Airwolf", I'm humming Johnny Dub's "The Asteroid Field" theme...

That's why I could never back Trek in any Trek v Wars argument.  Captain Picard gets caught in a dangerous asteroid / mine field?  Creeps forward on one quarter impulse.  Han Solo?  Floors it. 

I wonder what kind of movie we would have got if ANH was made after knowing it would be a trilogy. i agree ANH is the weakest link but I think a part of it has to do with it not fitting into the trilogy, the lower budget and everyone finding their feet.
  • Also the end of RoTJ gave us the infamous meme "It's a Trap!" that's gotta be worth something...
    TaraC73
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I know Empire is the standard, and I love the hell out of it. But Return of the Jedi has some amazing moments too, Jabba's palace, Hans return, Yoda's death, and the final fight scene between Anakin and Vadar...so good. I also don't hate the ewoks...I liked them as a kid and I never grew to hate them like so many did :) They may be a bit silly, but not more silly than anything else in Star Wars.
    hypergenesbTaraC73CoryHatorian
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

The Phantom Menace is the best movie...

For me to poop on!

A_Ron_HubbardHatorianTaraC73
    Between Ben's death, Han getting frozen and Luke getting maimed, and Yoda's death, that was about all the feels little boy me could handle.  When I think of Old Yeller, Bambi, Dumbo, etc, I just can't believe how relatively toothless kid's entertainment is nowadays.
    TravisTaraC73HatorianDaveyMac
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

This may be a little controversial, but I'm just trying to keep it 100 here. I am not a fan of the Gungans.  

I also will support the RotJ > ANH opinion. This isn't to say that I am not a fan of ANH, but for sheer watch-ability it is far from a flawless movie. It gets awfully slow for quite some time. It's great, don't get me wrong, but RotJ is both more fun and paced much, much better. I definitely take Empire as the best.

The one thing I will give Phantom Menace is the award for the best light saber. Darth Maul was just pretty bad ass in general, but particularly that two sided light saber was totally awesome.

HatorianJovial_Falcon
    @Travis - don't forget about the pod racing sequence - that was awesome!
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

I liked the pod racing, but along with the cool racing you got frequent spliced in examples of the "over-kid-friendly-fication" of the movie. They just cuted the whole thing up too much with all the "poo-doo" and overly cartoony animation. I felt like there was a good movie somewhere inside of Phantom Menace, but it was just way too deeply buried under cgi cuteness and terrible dialog and Gungans and (I know he's a kid and I probably shouldn't, but) Jake Lloyd's incredible awfulness. I feel like in an alternate universe that movie was made correctly and it was fucking great. Unfortunately...

(as a disclaimer, I haven't seen it since the theater (or maybe once not long after it hit DVD) and there has been a ton of quasi confirmation bias (basically none of my friends liked it either so we all complained about how much we didn't like it to each other, thus further harshening our opinions) that has take place over so many years, so my memory may be creating a harsher picture than is really necessary)

TaraC73
    I really liked jake Lloyd, it's Hayden Christensen who fucked up the anakin character, IMO. I also kind of liked seeing the child greedo (though he was probably a child same species as greedo - not actually greedo)... Of the prequel trilogy ROTS is #1 but PM isn't far behind at #2 whereas AOTC is a steaming pile of shit and doesn't even deserve a ranking :p
    Travis
  • I don't know. Jake Lloyd didn't do it for me. Not that Hayden Christensen was much better, but even grading on the child actor curve Lloyd was pretty brutal for me.

I did like RotS. I haven't seen it since it first hit DVD, and I don't remember it terribly well but I remember liking it. Unfortunately my most vivid memory of the movie is Darth Vader's "NOOOOOOO!!!" which probably isn't the best thing to take from the movie, but I remember being very satisfied. I only saw AotC once and all I really remember is being really underwhelmed. I highly doubt that I'll get to it, but I kind of would like to re-watch all 6 at some point before the new ones come out. I think the ultimate take away though is that Lucas missed the boat and blew an amazing opportunity in doing so. It really is a shame.

TaraC73
    That he did. I hope and pray that Disney does justice to the new movies. I want to do a marathon as well, maybe it's time to introduce my 3 year old to the movies. She knows some of the characters by osmosis, and regularly chooses star wars products over other choices (yogurt, fruit snacks, prizes) so she's off to a good start :)
    HatorianTravis
    One summer my brothers and I watched ANH like 100 times LOL!! I could watch it every day of my life and not tire of it. same with ESB. :)
    I can't blame any of the actors.  It's George Lucas' fault.  What, Natalie Portman can't act?  Samuel Jackson lacks screen presence?  Shit, look at Harrison Ford in Star Wars, it's not exactly his best work, I'd go so far as to say the only reason Han works at all is because of Ford's natural charisma and chemistry.

Then, you take Empire, and have Irvin Kershner on board, and everything is AMAZING.  George should never be allowed to direct actors again. Photography and shot composition?  Sure.  Effects?  Absolutely?  Big ideas and mythology?  Of course.  Dialog and the nuts and bolts of plotting... no.
    trippyTravisTaraC73DaveyMacNick
  • I dont know anybody personally that has not seen Star Wars but I heard Sam Witwer say something that I find interesting.

'If you ever have the chance to show someone all the Star Wars' movies for the first time, show them in this order: 4,5,1,2,3,6' I guess it would build up Luke possibly turning to the Dark Side like Anikkan did when Luke is in all black in Rotj. You get the ' I am your Father' line which most people found to be bullshit at the time. Then you get to see Anakin's story and the last thing you see in Sith is that he really is his father. I found this to be pretty interesting.

Its a shame I cant 'Eternal Sunshine' myself and go back and do this but I thought I would mention it to see if anyody else would agree or disagree.

Even tho most people navigate to ESB, great thread @Hatorian
    TaraC73TravisHatorian
  • Yea. that sequence has a name. I can't remember what its called but my cousin sent it to me awhile back. 
    Ha! We just discussed the flash back sequencing of SW on the BCS cast today.
    TaraC73Jovial_Falcon
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    I really need to re watch the new trilogy. I haven't watched them in years. While I re watch the original trilogy at least once a year.
    Kind of dreading that the digital SFX has outdated like most digital SFX of that era.
  • For purely sentimental reasons IV is my favourite of the George Lucas Star Wars films, but I fully expect SW7 to become my favourite. I have a lot of faith in JJ Abrams
    Jovial_Falcon
  • I listened to the commissioned A New Hope podcast over the weekend and I totally loved it. Great job guys.

Anyhoo, I was thinking about reading one of the books. I never got around to it in the past and it sounds fun. Should I go for the Thrawn Trilogy?

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2015
    Thrawn trilogy for sure but now that it is not canon it loses its luster a bit. You may want to wait as there is a book coming out in the next few months that is supposed to bridge the gap between 6 and 7. but if you don't care about canon Thrawn trilogy is amazing. 
    Travis
  • Thanks @Hatorian. I'll have to do a little thinking to see if I ultimately care about canon or if I'm just looking for a good read. I appreciate the heads up about that.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2015
    In 1977 I was nine years old. I was visiting my grandparents in Ill. My uncle took me to the movies to see a movie I knew nothing about. After that the world changed. I had only seen movies that were made for kids or movies that were made for adults. I came back home to So.cal. I went straight into the street to get with my friends and get there thoughts. None of my friends knew what I was raving about. Had I seen a special screening? I will never know but it came around quick enough. They had built a new multiplex theater in my hood( it had 6 screens huge at the time). Anyway I spent that summer with all my friends racking up viewings of that movie. So Star Wars(a new hope was not the title until so much later) has to be my favorite.
    Travis
  • I can't blame any of the actors.  It's George Lucas' fault.  What, Natalie Portman can't act?  Samuel Jackson lacks screen presence?  Shit, look at Harrison Ford in Star Wars, it's not exactly his best work, I'd go so far as to say the only reason Han works at all is because of Ford's natural charisma and chemistry.

Then, you take Empire, and have Irvin Kershner on board, and everything is AMAZING.  George should never be allowed to direct actors again. Photography and shot composition?  Sure.  Effects?  Absolutely?  Big ideas and mythology?  Of course.  Dialog and the nuts and bolts of plotting... no.

A couple of good Terrence Stamp quotes here on George Lucas as a director. http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/terence-stamp-calls-george-lucas-boring-director.html
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'm sure lots of you have already seen them but the Plinkett reviews are the definitive take on the prequels. I watch these once a year or so because I'm a huge dork and I find them really, really funny, but there's a ton of great insight into what goes into a movie and the ways they failed in some of the most basic aspects. The character exercise they do at the end of the first part is great and is really helpful when thinking about any sort of story. It's hard to get people to watch them because each one is about as long as the movies themselves, but if you like the first segment you'll probably like all of it.

If you're wondering, the character he's doing he made up when making a similar series of Star Trek reviews because he thought he sounded like an annoying nitpicker just talking in his regular voice. He decided to do them as an ageless serial killer with a drawl instead. It also lets him throw in some jokes and skits so its not just someone complaining about Star Wars for an hour and a half. 

He also did Avatar, Crystal Skull, and a shitload of other movies. 
    kingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @bizmarkiefader no I have never seen this and now I gotta watch every one he has made. That was long but I never considered a lot of the things he pointed out. I also laughed a lot. His sense of humor is as twisted as mine. Anyway that was great thanks for sharing it.
    Red Letter Media reviews are amazing, but I watch them despite the crazy voice and serial killer skits, not because of them.  That shit would usually be a straight up "nope", but his criticism and commentary are so on point and so devastating that I watch anyway.

Also, I'd recommend reading the Thrawn trilogy regardless of it's cannon status.  I have my quibbles with Zahn, as far as his understanding of the sense of scale of the SW universe, but he had some really clever ideas on how to make some flaws of the original trilogy into narrative ideas.  For example, how he explained the complete collapse of the Empire after the Emperor's death was pretty nifty.  The Noghri were a great contribution to the Star Wars universe as well. 
    Travis