SPOILORE / "Tinfoil" topic archive *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Thanks for this! I was running out of podcasts. Should keep me occupied until the new season starts. 

its sad to think there will be no Spoilore soon. Damn you GRRM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  •  The Tin Foil segment was my favorite part of last season's podcasts. A Ron, I'm curious if you've seen Preston Jacob's videos on You Tube. Not sure if he's active on Reddit or not but I love his videos. He really dives into the Tin Foil theories and offers a lot of alternatives that are fairly convincing. For instance he doesn't believe R+L=J or the Grand Northern Conspiracy. Right now he's in the middle of a series about the Iron Islands and the possible Euron/Daario/Corsair King connection. He also started a series comparing each episode of the show to the books. 

At the very least it might be good fodder for future Spoilore sections. 

ElisaFlashGordonahauntedworld
  • my personal favorite tin foil theory is that Mance is Rhaegar. There is a lot of stuff in the book to support it and it's pretty fun in a "Luke I am your father" kind of way. But finding out that Mance is expendable enough to kill off in the show kinda shoots it all to shit. It would be a fun one to cover. There is a lot in the texts to support it even though its most likely not the case.
    krislfrazier
  • I for one would be very interested in a history section of the podcast should you run out of tinfoil theories.
    FlashGordonHatorianngwils02ahauntedworldBigSmelltreerocksmostlywright
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited April 2015
    Hey @Shum do you mean a history of the Westeros universe ? Or a real historical comparison ?

I'd like to hear either personally. These wiki's basically form a huge part of what westeros history is actualy based on for anyone who's curious. Obvious comparisons by GRRMs own admission being, the Heptarchy-as in 7 Kingdoms,  War of the Roses - House Lanister/Lancaster Vs House Stark/York, The Wall- Hadiran's wall , The Faith of the Seven basically equating the Catholic church & the old gods being paganism etc. The Essos stuff more roman history, but it's interesting to me anyway

On a side note this is funny , goes on a bit but good

• @FlashGordon   That's way funny!  I was talking about a history of Westeros, but I agree that a historical comparison could also be interesting.  A Ron has talked about using the histories and lore from the DVDs to supplement his Spoilore sections, and I think a history of Westeros section would be another great opportunity to use those.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Love the tinfoil aka spoiler preview - big ups :D
  • How about a guest on a spoiler/history/lore cast? Aziz from History of Westeros? Or Stephen Atwell? He's a historian who runs a blog comparing chapter by chapter of the books to true history where applicable. He has guested on a few different podcasts.
    FlashGordon

• Here is a list of some theories. Most I have heard about already but a couple are new to me.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/game_of_thrones_theories_best_jon_parents_azor_ahai-2015-04
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT
    R+L=J / I want this to be true and GRRM has indicated as much. I just wonder how it will be revealed? On the other hand it may not really matter in the end.
    manhattnik
  • CJwriter said:

R+L=J / I want this to be true and GRRM has indicated as much. I just wonder how it will be revealed? On the other hand it may not really matter in the end.

I have also wondered how this will all unfold if the R+L=J theory holds true. Especially if you combine it with the grand northern conspiracy, which I am also inclined to believe for the most part.

I also feel like there is still a lot of ground to cover, and I wonder if GRRM will be able to consolidate everything into two books without it feeling rushed or the reader feeling cheated in some way. It's taken him so long to get to this point, and several books, and I'm expected to believe he can tie everything together and provide a satisfying ending between Winds and Spring? With his history of world building and fluff? I dunno...
    steph_bCJwriterngwils02
  • uncle_guncle_g CA, USA
    edited May 2015
    Related to the R+L=J....

Can I ask a question about the old 3-headed dragon prophesy?  

I can't remember the precise context it comes in in the books and in the show, but does it HAVE to refer to 3 contenders to the throne or 3 prominent people currently alive?  

Could it maybe just refer to the fact that Rhaegar may have actually had 3 kids?  Aegon, Rhaenys and...Jon Snow/Stark-garyan?

I don't recall this possibility ever having been talked about...but I've got the memory of a sieve.

I saw in the Tinfoil archive listing that the Dany Prophesy has been touched on, but can I request that this specific aspect of it be blown up into it's own tin foil investigation?  

G
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The dragon has 3 heads - prophecy that Master Aemon and Rhaegar both believed.  Some think it has to do with Dany's 3 dragons and their dragon riders.  The dragon riders are rumored to be Dany, Jon and either Tyrion or Bran.  Or Bran could help Jon fly.  It's all related to the prince that was promised and azor ahai.  Not sure if ARon has covered this.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, it's in the Dany's prophecy one.  Might be some updates on that this year.  I need to listen to that one again to see if I touched on Tyrion's skill in designing riding aparatus (Bran's saddle) and how that might come in handy with him being a dragon rider.  That and the fact that he's the high born bastard son of the Mad King.  ;)
    ElisaHunter
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited May 2015
    @A_Ron_Hubbard did you do a SPOILORE on the Tower of Joy?  Now with Rhaegar and Lyanna being the latest info dump on the show...I thought perhaps this could be revisited. The tourney at Harrenhal. The runaway.  How did Ned know where Lyanna was?  R +L = J, Ashara Dayne, Rhaegar from Ned's POV, all the clues in Book 1, etc??? 
    That's the first one.  I think it was fairly comprehensive, but I might have missed an angle or two.
    steph_b
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I thought your coverage of RLJ was very strong and covered all of the evidence.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Oh ok sorry no memory :P
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    This morning I stumbled across a pretty new theory about the Pink Letter being written by Theon. He had previously proposed that it had been written by Mance but has since changed his mind.  I learned about the blog in the comments of the History of Westeros/Radio Westeros Book to Show podcast for S5E4. Its a Word Press blog dedicated to ASOIAF by a guy called cantuse. He has a lot of good essays - some more plausible than others but all well thought out and presented. Most of you may know it about it already but it is new to me. 

It seems like the Pink Letter may have already been covered in the Spoilore cast but if not it would be a good one to cover - or touch on again if its already been covered. I hope it comes up in the series though because its such a fun topic of debate in the fandom. 

Elisangwils02MrMatt
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    What about Bloodraven + Sheira Star = Melisandre?
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited May 2015
    @Elisa, you mean the one I did last week, haha?  That is some short term memory right there.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    AW FRACK sorry @A_Ron_Hubbard I listen to way too many ASOIAF podcast hahaha.  
  • Just listened to today's cast (spoilore)...

Wouldn't the common thread that gets Arya to kill Cersei be the crown's debt?

Crown/ Lannisters owe money. Iron Bank hires faceless men. Ayra is assigned the kill. 

Clean and Easy plot resolution of 2+ plots. 
    Elisa
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    Ugh that terrifies me. What if gold will be there shrouds is because the FM kill Tommen and Myrcella over the crown's debts to the Iron Bank. I really wouldn't want to see Arya or any other FM kill Tommen and Myrcella. I feel icky now.
    I don't think the faceless men work that way. They'd only accept as payment something that is very dear to the person taking out the contract. In other words it would cost the iron bank more, far more, to collect than it would to write the debt off. But who knows in the TV version.
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited May 2015
    Aren't they assassins for hire? Isn't there a scene in season 1 of the show where someone mentions hiring a faceless man to kill Dany?

Also there's the theory that Euron hired a FM to kill Balon.

Maybe it's just my own head cannon but I'm pretty sure you can hire them out.

The wiki says the price is high or dear. If something happened to Mace, perhaps injured or something happened to Loras or Marg or both - Mace could conceivably offer up his fortune to take out Cersei's kids. Or even forfeit his own life.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @steph_b yes, the FM are assassins for hire.  That little kid with the scorpion gift was an FM hired by the warlocks or so I recall.  

Yes in the books there is that theory about Euron.  

I just don't think Mace is that smart...maybe the Queen of Thorns....

I wonder if she is going to collude with LF again in the show hmmm.
  • ShumShum Utah
    In the books, the scorpion is given to Dany by the sorrowful men. I'm not sure if they mention a specific group in the show or if they just say it was Pyatt Pree.
    steph_b
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT
    Daario = Euron, wtf?!? That is some wacky tinfoil. o.O

steph_b