SPOILORE / "Tinfoil" topic archive *SPOILERS*

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited April 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard - I'm pretty sure only Euron has been casted, and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out Victarion (which frankly, I'm ok with, there are only so many flashbacks to beating his wife to death one can handle in the book) as a character entirely, and put Asha/Yara in his role in terms of sailing to Meereen, especially since she's already off her book-plot trajectory.
    jenandtonic1208
  • RE: today's podcast (which was terrific).  In a perfect world, now that the show has caught up, it would be great for Jim to read the books, but clearly that's a well-nigh impossible task considering how busy you guys are now.  Personally, I don't mind Aron explaining aspects of the book differences, because I'm sure there are pure show watchers who are also getting edification from this process, and as a book reader, frankly I've forgotten a lot of things!
  • @dochielomn can you just play it directly from the site:  http://baldmove.com/game-of-thrones/season-six-preview-spoilore-edition (ie through desktop or mobile browser)?
  • voodoorat, thanks!  Wasn't sure if it was hosted on the website or not since I just go directly to the forums part of it.  I can just download the MP3 and upload the file into my device and play it that way.  Thanks again!
    voodoorat
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Personally I thought @Jim was a good addition; even a lot of book readers are coming back into it after the show's offseason and are rusty on the book lore, and besides he'll be more or less up to speed pretty quickly.  The back-and-forth rapport I think feels more natural than the prior professorial spoilore show (although that was fine too, I guess in the end it's up to you guys anyway what you want to do).
    Elisabrowniefive
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard I liked having Jim as a part of the cast. It would be annoying if you were just lecturing to him, but I like his questions and speculations. Sometimes they remind me of a theory I hadn't thought about or a detail I hadn't grasped.

I don't understand how fresh eyes wouldn't be an asset.
    browniefive
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Maybe you were kind of kidding but you should ABSOLUTELY read the Dunk and Egg books. I did the audiobook version, read by Harry Lloyd who played Viserys in season 1, and they were AWESOME. Just get A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. It's all three books and the whole thing is about 9 hours (to listen to). It's great GRRM writing but focused on one storyline. It's wayyy less dense than a normal GoT book. You'll be kind of surprised how much it helps flesh out your regular book knowledge. Just a thought though. Not trying to tell you how to live your life! Ha
    Elisasteph_b
  • jenandtonic1208jenandtonic1208 Alabama
    edited April 2016
    MrX said:

@A_Ron_Hubbard - I'm pretty sure only Euron has been casted, and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out Victarion (which frankly, I'm ok with, there are only so many flashbacks to beating his wife to death one can handle in the book) as a character entirely, and put Asha/Yara in his role in terms of sailing to Meereen, especially since she's already off her book-plot trajectory.

@MrX you're right. We are only getting Euron. The trailer shows Yara kissing a woman with a teardrop tattoo, so she must be in Volantis. So I'm guessing she's going to Mereen instead.

Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I think they merged Victarion with Asha.  
    jenandtonic1208steph_b
  • CarnivalArtsCarnivalArts New Orleans
    I just finished the spoiLore cast and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I liked the solo versions as well, but I like it more with your and Jim's dialogue. I've read the books and listened to most of the archived theories, but I'm not geeked out enough to remember all that. Your concise explanations to Jim are entertaining and usually contain much that I've forgotten. I hope you don't get a deluge of people telling you its too elementary for them. I quite enjoy it and hope you keep it just the way it is now.
    ElisaMelonusk
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard. @Jim. I personally love experiencing Jim's SpoiLore education. I've heard most of the theories you guys discussed several times, but I didn't find the explanations tedious at all. It's like watching a movie you've seen a million times with someone who has never seen it. You just want to experience it again through them and see their reaction. Keep up the good work!
    jenandtonic1208Melonusk
  • MuyiwaMuyiwa Ocean, NJ
    Shum said:

@A_Ron_Hubbard. @Jim. I personally love experiencing Jim's SpoiLore education. I've heard most of the theories you guys discussed several times, but I didn't find the explanations tedious at all. It's like watching a movie you've seen a million times with someone who has never seen it. You just want to experience it again through them and see their reaction. Keep up the good work!

I fully agree. Jim's reactions add a great dimension to the Spoilore cast.

• CoolHandLukeCoolHandLuke Texas
    edited May 2016
    This ish right here is why I forked over the scrilla. All this tin foil in one spot has to be worth a couple of credits.
  • Was finally able to listen to the original (pre-season) spoilore cast as well as the most recent one, just wanted to say that I enjoy @A_Ron_Hubbard explainign some things to @Jim.  I've read all of the books but I finished them awhile back (at least over a year ago if not closer to 2-3 years ago) and I can honestly say that there are plenty of small details which I don't really recall.  So when A_Ron brings them up and points them out to Jim, I appreciate the reminder.
    Elisa
  • I, too, really enjoyed having Jim on the cast. I'm a bit rusty myself of some of this stuff myself, as it's been a while since I've read the books and I've only read them once and have probably forgotten a ton. So I really don't mind if there's some re-hashing here and there as you bring Jim up to speed. 

Also, I didn't start listening to the Spoilore until last season as I hadn't caught up with all the books by then, so I am not even up on all the theories from your earlier shows.

• LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    I always liked the Daario = Euron in the books, BUT I think it's pretty safe to say that's not going to possible in the slightest in the show. Which is fine; 

my new one is Hisdar the dude we saw stabbed last week is really the leader of the Harpies. 
    I think they possibly stabbed him in a non-lethal way, and he'll have the last fro-ey laugh. 

Elisa
  • Is there any Valyrian tin foil that explains Hodor's loss of intelligible speech?
  • Old Nan said she was kicked in the head by a horse, I think. She told Bran when he told her that Theon said at least Hodor knew his name. She said his name was actually Walder (changed in the show) and that he had been kicked in the head.
    CoolHandLuke
  • I think I remember that. I guess it's just hard for me to accept the answer to a "What happened?" in Game of Thrones is "dropkicked by a horse".
  • I always totally bought that story. If there was anything more to it Old Nan would have been all "my sweet summer boy!"

Now I'm not sure, for about 20 seconds I thought we were going to see it happen.

"Hodor! You're talking and your name is Willice!"

**kick**

"Hodor!"

Also, I think the last Hodors were Hodor saying "YOU KNOW MY NAME! My name is WILLICE!"
  • Just adding my name to the list of listeners who want to keep hearing you explain things to Jim. I'm a show watcher who started listening to the SpoiLore casts this season, so the Q&A helps me out.
    CoolHandLukeBwgameofhome
  • I don't think Old Nan ever says he was kicked in the head by a horse, she just say his real name is Walder and that when he started saying Hodor everyone started calling him it. 

After seeing the latest episode in which we see Hodor as a boy in Winterfell I have a bit of a tinfoil theory about where it came from and why it's Hodor.

It seems likely that Hodor relates to something that he experienced at the point where he lost the ability to speak, and that it is a remnant of something he was trying to say to people. I think he is trying to say 'UNDER', not a million miles away when you say them out loud. My theory is that Hodor being a young boy in Winderfell either goes exploring, or more likely is forced/dared to go down into the crypts by Ned/Benjen/Bobby B. He goes further down than anybody has been for years and sees something (possibly a dragon??) that scared the senses out of him. He runs back up, out of his whits, and is trying to tell everybody that there is something UNDER, but all he can manage is Hodor.

This is definitely tinfoil, but the other theories I have read just don't seem to add anything to the story. Hodor warging into a horse, what does this do, we already know about wargs, what could he tell us that can't be told by anybody else in Winterfell? Hodor is the name of the Great Other, why would he know this, what difference would it make?

If Hodor has seen something under Winterfell it gives Bran something to do, he will find out that Jon is a Targ, and then be told that there is something of great importance under Winterfell. Bran needs to get to Jon to tell him, this gives Jon a reason to go to Winterfell, otherwise I can't see why you would abandon the Wall, even for a family member, when he has seen that the White Walkers are coming and everyone is going to die anyway.

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My tinfoil on Hodor is that something happened to him when he saw Rhaegar and Lyanna running off or something related to them.  Maybe a horse kicked him in the head.  Dunno.
  • How about this for Tinfoil: The showrunners listen to this podcast and read this forum so they knew what parts of the story to clean up this week? Seems like they went out of their way to either confirm or closeout multiple things we discussed here.
    gjulleen
  • Tinfoil theory:

That wasn't Shaggydog. That was a different direwolf head. Shaggydog is the true Ghost of Winterfell. He's going to murder all the Bolton men.

Please.

Not another direwolf :-*{

Please.
    Duncan MacElisajluzaniaCarl-0268
  • Reddit stuff...Is there any evidence to bring to the table that would support the theory of Lyanna birthing twins, Meera is actually Jon Snows twin? Ned taking Jon and Howland taking Meera would be a sure fire way that neither would ever break the oaths they made at the Tower of Joy. I can't really see any reason why Meera is still relevant for the story. Surely it can't be just to protect Bran. The Child of the Forest scene with them outside the cave seemed to work really hard to establish something important for Meera. 
  • It appears that the High Sparrow's story puts to bed the Sparrow = Howland Reed theory. Him's just a poor cobbler...
    Duncan Mac
  • It appears that the High Sparrow's story puts to bed the Sparrow = Howland Reed theory. Him's just a poor cobbler...

Yes, I am glad they are putting some of those to rest. As a book reader from before the HBO series, I found a lot of the theories very interesting, and a testament to how intricate of a story GRRM had created. But now so many people are married to these little side stories that they freak out when things don't go exactly as they have convinced themselves that they would based on tin foil... This was a very gentle let down I thought.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited May 2016
    There is always the possibility that Doran amounts to more in the books, or that say the High Septon is Howland Reed in the books.  The books have the benefit of being thousands of pages long.  So yeah Doran and Howland Reed probably won't be major players in the big final battle of the series, but that doesn't mean we won't get a ton of really interesting side stories out of things like this.  Hell some of the best stuff IMO are the little details that get cut from the show.  Or for example Lady Stone Heart.  She isn't coming I don't think, so she probably doesn't amount to much.  That doesn't change the fact that zombie Cat was cool as fuck.  

And my main beef with Doran was they cast freaking Dr. Bashir and then he had like two lines.  
    Elisa
  • Carl-0268Carl-0268 Kathleen, GA
    Now that Jon Snow and Arya have had life changing events in the last episode (Jon resurrected and Arya becoming a "No One") do you think they will be able to Warg? Remember Bran could not Warg until he fell from the tower ( life changing event). One of the double D's said something like " of course Jon will be different after he is resurrected, or why kill him in the first place" something to that effect. Also, I think the show runners missed an opportunity when in the books Arya "warged" through the cats eyes to beat one of her trainers when she was blind, or maybe HBO didn't want to show Jon and Arya's wolf dreams (which both have in books) and stick to just warging, hopefully they go with warging.

Carl A.
    Club Baldmove member since 2016