Mooncakes

For some reason I can’t post an image right now but it’s mooncake season. 

Just wanted to know who else from the BM community loves these? They are a heart attack waiting to happen but my god so good. 

Not sure how to describe them for those who haven’t tasted them. There’s really no equivalent. They are amazing. I’ll post a pick when I can. 

darwinfeeshy

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    What is a mooncake!
  • I was really excited to try one until I saw it is filled with Red Bean paste and egg yolk, but hell, I'll still try it!
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2018
    Shum said:
    I was really excited to try one until I saw it is filled with Red Bean paste and egg yolk, but hell, I'll still try it!
    If you get a chance I’d reccomend it. Not sure what Red Bean paste is but it shouldn’t put you off. 

The egg surprisingly provides a nice change of taste to the sweetness of the cake. You’re only meant to take a piece of the egg alongside the cake when you slice it. Each “cake” is meant to be cut into 4 pieces or more. 

The picture i provided is how is how you’re supposed to eat it. You cut one cake into 4 or more pieces and only eat one slice in a sitting. More than that is excessive. 
  • That looks great and I'd be down to try red bean paste, but that yolk... *shudders*
  • You can actually get them with no yolk or even better double yolk!
  • Hatorian said:
    You can actually get them with no yolk or even better double yolk!
    I used to love eggs, but lately they make me gag (even if I can just slightly taste them in things like sponge cake or ice cream). So I'd go for the no yolk version. Either way, I'm in Europe so probably not gonna happen, especially as I never even heard of this before!
  • I immediately looked them up on wiki, damn they look and sound amazing 
  • Reni said:
    Hatorian said:
    You can actually get them with no yolk or even better double yolk!
    I used to love eggs, but lately they make me gag (even if I can just slightly taste them in things like sponge cake or ice cream). So I'd go for the no yolk version. Either way, I'm in Europe so probably not gonna happen, especially as I never even heard of this before!
    Yea they are definitely an eastern thing and usually only available a few times a year
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    When I was in Singapore it was their season and they were everywhere. I should have tried one then.
  • I've never had a Moon Cake. Would a good dim sum place stateside have them?

In other news I also now want a Moon Pie for some reason...

TaraC73Murderbearvoodooratmostlywright
  • @Shum  Beans in Chinese cuisine are usually sweetened. That's why they are in this dessert.

I like mooncakes, but living in America has really blasted any nuance out of my palette. All of our food & snacks are so rich. I find that mooncakes are a tad bland for my American tastes, especially for a dessert.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Love mooncakes but my favorite are sun cakes and pineapple cakes.  
  • @darwinfeeshy. Cool, that makes sense.  I love dipping egg mcmuffins in maple syrup, so this doesn't seem that crazy to me.  Although if this ends up not tasting like an egg mcmuffin I'm not sure if I'll be happy or disappointed.  My relationship with mcmuffins is very complicated.
    mostlywright
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    never heard of em but they sound good! there are several Chinese bakery's by my office so i'll def keep an eye out.

my mind thought Moon Pies when i saw this thread pop up (like @Mrx brought up) Moon Pies will always remind me of The Green Mile.

Image result for moon pie green mile gif
    TaraC73
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Should be able to find them at traditional Chinese bakeries. I’m sure CA, NY and other areas with a large local Chinese population may have one. 

I found this

https://www.tripping.com/explore/9-best-places-to-get-mooncakes-in-the-us
  • Never understood the Asian love of sweetened red bean.
  • edited September 2018
    Just got this box from my girlfriend's brother and his Taiwanese wife. Will write back with a review once we eat them. The flavor is listed as "Lava Custard".

Hatoriancdrive