Directed by John Shiban
Cinematography by Marshall Adams
Edited by Chris McCaleb

Coverage on Heisenberg Chronicles for 4.04
Murderbear

Comments

• hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited August 2018
    This is the third BCS episode directed by John Shiban, a long-time member of the Villigang. He wrote four episodes of Breaking Bad, and directed one (3.06 "Sunset"). His previous Saul eps were remarkable examples of direction: Rebecca and Sunk Costs. I'm expecting greatness. 
    Dummy
  • Quick Question: What does the Villigan have against group therapy?? He loves having characters unload in group therapy lol
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    So, I said it on the Instant Take chat but I do think that Nacho was hoping that he would have a chance to take out the cousins. MAYBE he was feeling guilty about just sitting there and was legitimately trying to help them but I think he would rather kill them and hope Gus can take over the Salamanca area and get him out. (Obviously never that simple)

But I'm really wondering how the Salamanca family survives into the Breaking Bad time. Between Don Hector in a coma, Tuco being in jail, Nacho is practically on death's door...they are pretty damn weak right now. I know the cartel would never let it stand if Gus took them out but damn, they seem like they could be squashed at any second if he wanted right now.
  • So, I said it on the Instant Take chat but I do think that Nacho was hoping that he would have a chance to take out the cousins. MAYBE he was feeling guilty about just sitting there and was legitimately trying to help them but I think he would rather kill them and hope Gus can take over the Salamanca area and get him out. (Obviously never that simple)

But I'm really wondering how the Salamanca family survives into the Breaking Bad time. Between Don Hector in a coma, Tuco being in jail, Nacho is practically on death's door...they are pretty damn weak right now. I know the cartel would never let it stand if Gus took them out but damn, they seem like they could be squashed at any second if he wanted right now.
    Isn’t that kind of the point though? Regardless of how weak he is Don Hector is “untouchable”. Gus knows he could easily crush Salamanca’s if he could, but doing so would be the kiss of death for him and everyone connected to him.  
  • I really enjoyed this episode. We are starting to see everyone move forward instead of meander around. We see two major acts of defiance (Kim and Mike) with both characters being semi damaged and stubborn (not to mention intelligent). I’m looking forward to the rest of this season. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @KingKobra Yeah, you're right. It just seems kinda boring to me. We know they are doing at least another season and I'm sure there will be lots of drama and I'll love it but it's almost like they are already in a holding pattern until Breaking Bad.

This is the only BCS episode I haven't completely loved. Still liked it, don't get me wrong. I love this universe and everything about it. It just feels like I'm already starting to see how they are stretching things (not just Fring V Salamanca) out maybe a little more than necessary.

Also, anyone have guesses on what Kim is up to?

Also also, can we put the silly forgery theories to bed now? We don't necessarily know what she's up to but it seems pretty evident that she wasn't going to the court house last week to steal any old Charles McGill stationary.
    KingKobraKela15
  • @KingKobra Yeah, you're right. It just seems kinda boring to me. We know they are doing at least another season and I'm sure there will be lots of drama and I'll love it but it's almost like they are already in a holding pattern until Breaking Bad.

This is the only BCS episode I haven't completely loved. Still liked it, don't get me wrong. I love this universe and everything about it. It just feels like I'm already starting to see how they are stretching things (not just Fring V Salamanca) out maybe a little more than necessary.

Also, anyone have guesses on what Kim is up to?

Also also, can we put the silly forgery theories to bed now? We don't necessarily know what she's up to but it seems pretty evident that she wasn't going to the court house last week to steal any old Charles McGill stationary.
    I can see where you’re coming from and it’s always a difficult situation of prequels when the “main” show has already aired. We know where this story ends up so some of the drama/suspense is taken out of it. I still find much of it interesting though as we are filling in some of the spaces. I’m in no rush for us to reach close to BB days at all. 

Personally I think Kim is trying to spark that fire again. She loved being a trial lawyer and just being there in the room she is trying to get that feeling back. She’s in a rut both mentally and physically and being in the courtroom is something that gets her juices flowing.  
    Murderbear
  • This is a reminder to me that even when the show is at it's worst, it's still better than most of what is out there. I'd put this close to "worst". I thought the best part was Mike calling out Shawn from "The Good Place", but it didn't have the emotional punch it needed to be a great scene. The action scene was fairly lackluster, Jimmy being bored at a store wasn't interesting until the end, and the Kim story line still needs some more context to be really engaging. I still don't think it's bad...I just probably won't be looking forward to a re-watch of it. 
    Murderbear
  • It feels like they're getting bogged down by too many minor plotlines since none of the characters are interacting. For the most part, they're all good scenes, but each moves the story forward at such a slow incremental pace. Even at it's best this series hasn't been very "exciting," but when even the character development slows down it's becoming a slog. 
    Murderbear
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    If they think havin a cliffhanger ending with Mike finding his new mission will get me to tune in next week. I don’t think they should bother. If anyone sat thru the window painting scene. Most likely they are watching next week. Just sayin.
    Murderbear
  • edited August 2018
    I liked this episode. There may not have been a lot of payoffs but for once I like where all points of the story are going. 

It seems like all the other seasons had at least one storyline I was forced to follow and didn’t give a shit about but this season I think all of them are interesting. 
    KingKobra
  • MichelleMichelle California
    It sounds like I'm not the only one who thought this episode was 'meh'.  I'm finding that I have less and less interest in the show with every new episode.   I feel like they realllly slowed down the action with Jimmy and Kim - I kind of feel bored by their lives right now.  The only thing keeping me semi-watching is the situation with Nacho.  Something huge needs to happen really soon to make me sit back up in my seat and take notice.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited August 2018
    I find I’m really only interested in Nacho and, to a lesser extent, Kim. We already know where Jimmy, Gus and Mike end up. I assume that Nacho is alive in early Breaking Bad since the first sighting of Saul is when he asks Walt if “Ignacio is behind it” or whatever. But then, he can’t be, because why would he then not have been part of either Don Hector’s or Gus’s stories in B.B.? 

That’s what I am waiting to find out.
    Kela15
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Week 1:
    "This guy here is not a widower. He's a tourist looking for sympathy."
    "Thank you, Mike. We've all seen Fight Club. We get the idea."

Week 2:
    "This guy here is getting all the details of his story from the bulletin board in the lobby."
    "We've seen The Usual Suspects too, Mike."

Week 3:
    "I look around this room and I see dead people."
    "Enough already, Johnny Blockbuster."

Week 4:
    "When I was a kid, I had this sled named 'Rosebud.'"
    "That's it, you're out of here."
    bazjenster
    I'm not much of a psychic, but I woke up today knowing for an absolute, metaphysical certainty that I'd be hearing the words "Judge Neelix" come out of Aron's mouth :)
  • With Kim recommending therapy to Jimmy any chance we have a Marie cameo? Is Kim sending Jimmy to the same therapist?
  •  When Nacho's Dad finds him at his house, I could have sworn i saw the RV combo sells to Jesse. Will we get a combo cameo? Is Nacho a connection to Combo who gets us to an Aaron Paul Cameo?
  • We havent seen the outside of the veterinarian's office, or have we? Im betting the veterinarian's office is in the same shopping plaza where Saul sets up shop.
    jtmy92
  • adobo1148 said:
    We havent seen the outside of the veterinarian's office, or have we? Im betting the veterinarian's office is in the same shopping plaza where Saul sets up shop.
    I think we have a few times, they drive up to a brick building and go in. 
  • We are in that typical Villgould Boom-Bust cycle. The story is slow now, a lot of balls are being tossed up in the air, but none of them have landed yet. In a few episodes all of these balls will shatter against the floor in an explosive episode that brings everything together and reminds us why we like this show.

Balls thrown up in this episode-

Jimmy sliding deeper into being a straight up criminal again.This is what his friend in Chicago wanted him to do. Just hustle and steal every night of the week.

Kim is having a crisis of conscience. Eventually her paralegal and Mesa Verde are going to want answers as to Kims commitment to her solo practice. And Kim will need to find those answers herself.

Gus is on edge and plotting very aggressively to expand his territory. What is the next stage of his plan involving Mike and Nacho?

Mike is doing whatever he wants regardless of what Gus or Lydia think. It seems he ultimately earns Gus' full respect. How is this accomplished with the seeming tension between them currently?

hypergenesb
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Decent season so far, but wow this was a bad episode.

Whatever they are trying to accomplish with Jimmy's and Mike's characters, they failed.  And the gunfight was mediocre at best, while Kim just bummed around the courtroom.  The End.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I actually liked the gunfight - I think it was more important to see it from Nacho’s POV while he is realising more and more how trapped he is and how crazed and ruthless the Salamanca twins are. His confusion at first about what was happening and then his resignation as he goes to join them was great. Michael Mando is pretty much MVP of this whole series, in my opinion. 
    MurderbearKela15chrilew
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I didn't dislike it as much as other folks. I actually liked it better than last week's episode. But I can't really put into words why. Not a ton happened, but I think that is how I felt at this time last season. Then we'd get a barn burner like Chicanery. I have faith. One thing I did like was Jimmy's painting. It seemed to contrast the careful, detail oriented Wexler/McGill logo he was working on last season before he just ripped the tape off the wall to go confront Chuck. Here we see him just going to town with broad strokes all over the windows. No big revelation with noticing that, but I have to imagine it was intentional. 
  • StephenStephen New York
    I'm pretty sure Jimmy takes the job in the phone store because of Kim's expression when he makes his clearly disingenuous offer to squeeze therapy into his schedule, which she knows to be significantly devoid of commitments. Announcing the presumably full-time job gives him a plausible, even laudable reason to postpone confronting any of his issues including the facility with which he has just obviously lied to Kim about considering her suggestion. Jimmy gauges, correctly, that this will be a gesture significant enough to get her to drop the subject for a while, even if Kim sees through him on any level, which I believe she does.
  • JoeJoeB88 said:
    We are in that typical Villgould Boom-Bust cycle. The story is slow now, a lot of balls are being tossed up in the air, but none of them have landed yet. In a few episodes all of these balls will shatter against the floor in an explosive episode that brings everything together and reminds us why we like this show.

Balls thrown up in this episode-

Jimmy sliding deeper into being a straight up criminal again.This is what his friend in Chicago wanted him to do. Just hustle and steal every night of the week.

Kim is having a crisis of conscience. Eventually her paralegal and Mesa Verde are going to want answers as to Kims commitment to her solo practice. And Kim will need to find those answers herself.

Gus is on edge and plotting very aggressively to expand his territory. What is the next stage of his plan involving Mike and Nacho?

Mike is doing whatever he wants regardless of what Gus or Lydia think. It seems he ultimately earns Gus' full respect. How is this accomplished with the seeming tension between them currently?

While I agree that we'll likely have some explosive episodes coming a lot of these "balls" were thrown a couple of episodes ago. This feels more like we're starving to appreciate a good meal, than laying a foundation for something great.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited August 2018
    Don't know if it was discussed already, but I saw in a tweet yesterday that the Hummel thief is the Vamonos Pest Control owner.  Apparently it's true.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Ira

LOL at this though

Murderbear
    "There's no money in kooks."

I think as podcasters and podcast fans, we can all say that hanging out with kooks is its own reward.
  • In regards to the question about Saul (or more accurately, Gene) working at the Cinnabon out of all the possibilities for a place to go and a job to have: 

In Breaking Bad, before the scene where Saul says the line about "best case scenerio I'll be managing a Cinnabon", we get a scene of Saul getting prepped by the Disappearerer, and when Saul looks at the computer screen, he asks "Nebraska, whose in Nebraska?" and the guy says, "You. From now on."

So, before Saul has that scene with Walt, he already knows he is going to Nebraska. My theory is that, sitting down in that bunker with Walt, Saul was probably already thinking about what he was going to do once he got there, and he came up with a plan to live in Omaha and get some regular guy 9-5 job. 

He probably just said the Cinnabon thing as a throwaway line to Walt, but maybe once he got to Omaha, there really was an opening for a Cinnabon manager. This is a coincidence, but not nearly as big of one as Saul randomly saying that line and then ending up in that job and place. 
    JoshuaHeter
    In regards to the question about Saul (or more accurately, Gene) working at the Cinnabon out of all the possibilities for a place to go and a job to have: 

Thing is, if you were being Disappearered for your protection, would you even tell Walter White which state you were going to? Let alone which job in which city?

samartian