Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan S1 (spoilers possibly)

kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
Amazon released it’s new show on its streaming service today. If this isn’t a huge hit for them then I would be surprised. I’m on episode 3 and I’m  glued to it. John Krasinski is Ryan in great casting. The Wires Wendell Pierce is playing Greer, who was played by James Earl Jones. Lots o action, drama some humor in a smart show. I’m not a big Clancy fan, I saw the  big movies and they were good except Sum Of All Fears. I think he would endorse this program. Looks like a good Labor Day weekend binge. Anyway feel free to comment. 
KingKobra

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Ummm, don't you mean JIM Ryan?? (this is actually pretty damn funny)
    https://youtu.be/AQhmAWyBkIs
    kingbee67BrieanneKingKobraShumiMatty94FreddyTravis
  • Just saw on Twitter Ramin Djawadi did the score for the 1st season. 
  • Only on ep2 but pleasantly surprised so far. 
    kingbee67
  • Just finished episode 2 and this show has a lot of action. This is not a deep show, but the action keeps things moving. Don’t want to go into too many details, but if you’re a fan of these types of movies or shows, it might be right up your alley. It’s homeland on steroids if I had to make a comparison. 
    kingbee67
  • edited September 1
    I just finished it, I have a few issues with it here and there and there was one whole C plot that I didn't like but overall I enjoyed it very much. It's really well cast and John Krasinksi and Wendell Pierce are particularly good together, there's a line that Greer says to Jack in the last episode or two that made me laugh out loud.

Overall I'd describe it as a more intelligent 24 compared to traditional Clancy fare, but it's still pretty true to the spirit of the series. 
    KingKobrakingbee67
  • just realized this is a carlton cuse project. a.aron's out.
    Elisa
  • A drone stops a rape and I don't know how I feel about that. 

• This show is more than competently made, acted, etc. There's some enjoyment because of that.
    But this story has been done a thousand times over in the last 10-15 years. I kept hoping there was going to be something unique, but nope. Not a single zig, when you expect zag. It's zag around every corner. 
    Elisaswimmythafish
  • edited September 4
    Jack Ryan is like the other side of Holden on The Expanse being the paladin in the party. Both try to do the absolute right thing. Everything works for Ryan and Holden sets the solar system on fire. Maybe since Amazon has The Expanse now they could cryo-freeze Ryan and have a crossover buddy series:The Paladin and The Boy Scout.

I read the most of the early Clancy books when they came out and enjoyed them at the time. The problem that has always been in adapting him is there is a lot of nerdish stuff that doesn't translate well on screen.

Even if it is Jack Ryan light it was entertaining enough for me to binge it. I would watch a second season.

Especially since it looks like the from the ending next season is in Russia

• @CapeGabe was that last part supposed to be in spoiler tags?
  • Only through 3/4 of the way through Ep1. I kept thinking, what about this is going to be different than S1 of Homeland? Or Zero Dark Thirty? or 24? Or a number of other CIA Analysts Gets into the Wild story? Some of the setup is a bit too on the nose, in the pilot.
  • rkcrawf said:
    Only through 3/4 of the way through Ep1. I kept thinking, what about this is going to be different than S1 of Homeland? Or Zero Dark Thirty? or 24? Or a number of other CIA Analysts Gets into the Wild story? Some of the setup is a bit too on the nose, in the pilot.
    That is Jack Ryan, this isn’t an original work so what you see will be large retreads if recent shows which themselves could be lead back to the JR movies which can lead back to similar shows and movies. This show knows it’s lane and for the most part sticks to it. It’s not groundbreaking in any sense, but what it does, it does well. I’ll also add if you have a DolbyVision or HDR10 capable set this show is beautiful to watch. 
  • Not a bad series, it got sloppy towards the end, I wasn’t really sure what was Suleiman’s objective, was it starting an ebola outbreak or killing POTUS, was the son radicalized, did he just miss his mom and sisters. Lots of paths taken that ended nowhere. For a first season, overall wasn’t bad, they need to tighten up narrative, even if slightly at he expense of character development, which was probably the best part of the show, especially with Suleiman and the drone pilot.
  • KingKobra said:
    @CapeGabe was that last part supposed to be in spoiler tags?
    WTF? How are you supposed to use that? Obviously too complicated for my tiny brain.
  • CapeGabe said:
    KingKobra said:
    WTF? How are you supposed to use that? Obviously too complicated for my tiny brain.
    Put [ ] around Spoiler before the text then put [ ] around /Spoiler after the text. 

Should look like this once done:

this is a test
  • CapeGabe said:
    KingKobra said:
    I think I'm OK now

• adobo1148 said:
    Not a bad series, it got sloppy towards the end, I wasn’t really sure what was Suleiman’s objective, was it starting an ebola outbreak or killing POTUS, was the son radicalized, did he just miss his mom and sisters. Lots of paths taken that ended nowhere. For a first season, overall wasn’t bad, they need to tighten up narrative, even if slightly at he expense of character development, which was probably the best part of the show, especially with Suleiman and the drone pilot.
    Ok here are my thoughts on some of your questions in spoiler tags since this show is still young. 

the attack was against the president. The other victims were just “stage one” to get the president. 

As far as bis son goes, I think he cared more about his mom/sisters than following the radicalized philosophy of his father. This was especially the case when he learned Suliman lied to him about what happened to them. He was a follower, not a leader and thus followed Suliman, because it was his dad, not because he was radicalized. 

• kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    edited September 4
    Finished this up last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Found myself wanting more which I think is the main thing you want after a season of TV ends. I mean, its not going to win any major awards or anything but it was fun with some solid acting from Krasinski and Pierce. They made a good duo and played well off of each other. The whole plot towards the end I don't think was anything shocking, like pretty much guessed what was going to happen. But I think that is ok because it made sense and fit into the story. I'd rather have that then try and "shock me" with something crazy plot that doesn't really make sense. There is such thing as being too clever for your own good, thankfully I think they avoided that and just made a solid opening season to this show.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    KingKobra said:

adobo1148 said:
    Not a bad series, it got sloppy towards the end, I wasn’t really sure what was Suleiman’s objective, was it starting an ebola outbreak or killing POTUS, was the son radicalized, did he just miss his mom and sisters. Lots of paths taken that ended nowhere. For a first season, overall wasn’t bad, they need to tighten up narrative, even if slightly at he expense of character development, which was probably the best part of the show, especially with Suleiman and the drone pilot.
    Ok here are my thoughts on some of your questions in spoiler tags since this show is still young. 

the attack was against the president. The other victims were just “stage one” to get the president. 

As far as bis son goes, I think he cared more about his mom/sisters than following the radicalized philosophy of his father. This was especially the case when he learned Suliman lied to him about what happened to them. He was a follower, not a leader and thus followed Suliman, because it was his dad, not because he was radicalized. 

I also think the son plot was intended to be left open, I think he says something like "we'll see" at the end. Which makes sense with story, we don't really know how much of an influence his dad ultimately had on him. Some scenes he seemed to idolize and love his dad, others he seemed scared and confused about his dad. I am ok with that part not being answered.
    KingKobra
  • KingKobra said:
    rkcrawf said:
    Only through 3/4 of the way through Ep1. I kept thinking, what about this is going to be different than S1 of Homeland? Or Zero Dark Thirty? or 24? Or a number of other CIA Analysts Gets into the Wild story? Some of the setup is a bit too on the nose, in the pilot.
    That is Jack Ryan, this isn’t an original work so what you see will be large retreads if recent shows which themselves could be lead back to the JR movies which can lead back to similar shows and movies. This show knows it’s lane and for the most part sticks to it. It’s not groundbreaking in any sense, but what it does, it does well. I’ll also add if you have a DolbyVision or HDR10 capable set this show is beautiful to watch. 

I had a hard time with this show. Predictability is one thing. The absurdly unbelievable plot logic was Indiana Jones level silly to me. It’s just not believable and comes out cheesy when everything’s so heavily produced and perfect. It just doesn’t fit for me. I’ve never read Tom Clancy, but I’ve always assumed, (maybe wrongly) with the girth of those books he would take his time with these things. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • Notacult said:
    KingKobra said:
    rkcrawf said:

I had a hard time with this show. Predictability is one thing. The absurdly unbelievable plot logic was Indiana Jones level silly to me. It’s just not believable and comes out cheesy when everything’s so heavily produced and perfect. It just doesn’t fit for me. I’ve never read Tom Clancy, but I’ve always assumed, (maybe wrongly) with the girth of those books he would take his time with these things. 
    Have you seen any of the movies? (Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Hunt for Red October, Sum of all Fears, Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit). The show is closer to Shadow Recruit as far as feeling goes IMO, but as he gets older things do kind of change. It won’t be for everyone that’s for sure, but since I have a history with the series and others like it, the show seemed “fine” as far as plot goes (not sure what issues you had). 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited September 5
    I got derailed for a few days but I finished the season last night. I like the eight episode format. It kept me interested in it and didn’t have to stretch to fill ten or thirteen episodes. I like drama or comedy before action but I’m still on board with this show. Doubt it will make my greatest hits list but I will watch season two. 
    I think there are things I’m not about with this show but it’s just minor for me.
  • Carlton Cuse and Graham Roland did an AMA yesterday about the show:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9esc5x/hi_were_creators_and_executive_producers_carlton/

interesting highlights 
    they are already 2 1/2 months into shooting Season 2 
    they started writing the show 3 1/2 years ago.

looks like Amazon is putting some real money behind this one with the way this is shot (multiple cities and countries at the same time ala GoT). It now makes sense why we got the story we did for season one instead of something “current”. 
    CapeGabe
  • Ummm, don't you mean JIM Ryan?? (this is actually pretty damn funny)
    https://youtu.be/AQhmAWyBkIs
    This is great. In the first episode when Jack is manipulating his colleague in the Treasury Department into putting a freeze on the bank account for him, I thought that could be a scene straight out of The Office. Jim pulled those same shenanigans with his co-workers. 
  • I haven't started it yet, hoping to get into it soon. Just looking for confirmation, this is the origin story of Goldenface, right?
    All the Chickens
  • Travis said:
    I haven't started it yet, hoping to get into it soon. Just looking for confirmation, this is the origin story of Goldenface, right?
    Almost got me, had forgotten about that. 
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 11
    Threat Level Midnight!!!

...and more importantly:

• Only two episodes in, but I'm having trouble with the foxlike super mastermind's terrible cell phone security tactics.  Guess he never watched the Wire or took any lessons from, say, Bin-Laden....
  • Finished this last night, it kept me entertained through all 8 episodes. Wendell Pierce is definitely the best thing it has going for it. The plot defintly isn't much elevated over your average 24 season or a post- season 2 Homeland, but I wasn't expecting that out of Tom Clancy IP.

The whole drone pilot subplot was pretty bad though. Especially the bizarre tangent with the freaky middle aged couple ... And then he just takes a yellow cab from Turkey to Syria?? And he apparently absolves himself of his crippling guilt by buying $20K worth of eggs from the family of the guy he killed??