405 - Quite a Ride

Director: Michael Morris
Writer: Ann Cherkis

Comments

• So, that was cool
    MurderbearJoshuaHeter
  • Yea, that gave me that Breaking Bad feeling.
    JoshuaHeter
  • AMC app isn’t letting me stream. Sad
  • edited September 2018
    I was half-hoping to see Jesse at the Dog House, but I know that is wishful thinking. I know that A.ron says that Jesse would be too young during the timeline of Better of Call Saul, but I disagree. In Crawl Space, the Mexican doctor mentions that Jesse is 25. That means that he was approximately 24 when Breaking Bad began, and about 26 when it ended. 6 years prior would put Jesse at about 18 in the Better Call Saul universe. Definitely old enough to be hanging out at the Dog House with Badger and Skinny Pete and Combo. Whether or not Aaron Paul could pull off an 18 year old Jesse is another issue...

No Nacho was a bummer :(
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    They might need to get in contact with Marvel for a Jesse cameo. The tech they used to make Robert Downey Jr and Michael Douglas look young in flashbacks is pretty incredible. 2018 Aaron Paul may have a hard time pulling off young Jesse. Still, I'd love it if he ever did show up.
  • So,

I was the one who wrote in last week to catalog all of the mentions of Nebraska, Kansas City, etc. In the show. Both Jim and Aron were skeptical we can draw any conclusions about this (specifically about Kim showing up in the Gene timeline).

Well, buckle up people...

The movie Jimmy begins to watch in this episode is Dr. Zhivago. In it, two potential lovers Lara and Yuri are separated (in part) by the Russian Civil War. However, they are later reunited in the city of Moscow. 

In BB / BCS, perhaps Jimmy and Kim are separated (in part) by the events of BB (which involves a Civil War of sorts), but potentially they'll be reunited in a part of the country (Nebraska) with a climate not unlike the climate in Moscow.

Boom. Nailed it. 
    MurderbearMrX
  • edited September 2018
    They might need to get in contact with Marvel for a Jesse cameo. The tech they used to make Robert Downey Jr and Michael Douglas look young in flashbacks is pretty incredible. 2018 Aaron Paul may have a hard time pulling off young Jesse. Still, I'd love it if he ever did show up.
    Aha! Yeah, Marvel could hook them up. But, honestly (and maybe this is a controversial opinion), I think the whole young Jesse thing is more about affectation than how Aaron Paul actually looks. I mean, you take Aaron Paul, get him clean shaven, put him in a beanie and clothes 3X his size and have him jumping around, throwing out Yo Bitch's left and right, and generally acting like season 1 Jeese, he could convinably pass for a  teenage Jeese. I mean he would obviously look older than season 1 Jeese, but I don't think it would break your immersion. Just the contrast between where we left Jeese at the end of season 5, and then seeing him young and happy again would give him a much more youthful affectation. 
    Murderbear
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited September 2018
    @Murderbear I can’t tell if you marked my post as insightful sarcastically. I want there to be something here, but it feels like I’m squinting *pretty* hard to make myself see it.
    No man, I like it! It's the best kind of crazy theory I enjoy!
    JoshuaHeter
  • They might need to get in contact with Marvel for a Jesse cameo. The tech they used to make Robert Downey Jr and Michael Douglas look young in flashbacks is pretty incredible. 2018 Aaron Paul may have a hard time pulling off young Jesse. Still, I'd love it if he ever did show up.
    Aha! Yeah, Marvel could hook them up. But, honestly (and maybe this is a controversial opinion), I think the whole young Jesse thing is more about affectation than how Aaron Paul actually looks. I mean, you take Aaron Paul, get him clean shaven, put him in a beanie and clothes 3X his size and have him jumping around, throwing out Yo Bitch's left and right, and generally acting like season 1 Jeese, he could convinably pass for a  teenage Jeese. I mean he would obviously look older than season 1 Jeese, but I don't think it would break your immersion. Just the contrast between where we left Jeese at the end of season 5, and then seeing him young and happy again would give him a much more youthful affectation. 
    I agree with this. I think Aaron Paul could still pull off young Jessie quite convincingly with a little help from hair/makeup and wardrobe. In those videos he and Brian recently did for Omaze charities in the RV, Aaron still looks much like he did in BB with a buzz cut. The right outfit and Aaron acting out young Jessie could easily pass, I think.
  • So,

I was the one who wrote in last week to catalog all of the mentions of Nebraska, Kansas City, etc. In the show. Both Jim and Aron were skeptical we can draw any conclusions about this (specifically about Kim showing up in the Gene timeline).

The movie Jimmy begins to watch in this episode is Dr. Zhivago. In it, two potential lovers Lara and Yuri are separated (in part) by the Russian Civil War. However, they are later reunited in the city of Moscow. 

In BB / BCS, perhaps Jimmy and Kim are separated (in part) by the events of BB (which involves a Civil War of sorts), but potentially they'll be reunited in a part of the country (Nebraska) with a climate not unlike the climate in Moscow.

Boom. Nailed it. 
    Moscow = Nebraska. You heard it here, folks  ;)
    JoshuaHeter
  • Dummy said:
    So,

Boom. Nailed it. 
    His theory is fairly plausible. Why else would Jimmy be watching that particular movie? And what was in that secret box Jimmy took from behind the Constitution? I'm not saying it's definite, but it wouldn't surprise me based on the trail of bread crumbs Joshua has pointed out.

JoshuaHeter
  • This is another episode where very little happened yet I find it all so intriguing. Watching how Mike and Gus choose to approach these engineers is satisfying unto itself, even as I can't imagine any other TV show handling it this way. It says plenty about Mike and Gus' character that they show basic kindness to these men- even as they're wearing a hood and must be terrified of that fact.

Why did Gus choose the German engineer over the French one? Gus is a cautious man. The French engineer was too confident and sure of himself. The German was full of doubt and kept emphasizing the dangers and risks. Is that the same conclusion you all drew, too? I thought him being sick from the car ride is a bit of characterization. He's sensitive to risk- he's sensitive to bumpy car rides. Caution itself is born of a sensitivity and awareness to the risks you are taking.

I see Jimmy extracting revenge on those who robbed him. Will he reconnect with the motorcycle gang for revenge? Mike? The thieves probably assume Jimmy is a vanilla scaredy-cat who will never show his face in that part of town again. Not likely.
    Eine Frau
    @JoeJoeB88 Someone said in the chat last night it could be that the German guy was talking about past jobs and Gus is too secretive for that kind of attitude. I like that idea. But I also think it's just a feel thing and Gus wasn't feeling it. The second guy seems way more practical.

I'm really glad they are getting into the amount of work it would take to build a super secret underground lab. I guess I always assumed it was there when they built the place and maybe Gus had some stuff moved around to cover the entrance. That's a crazy huge undertaking though doing it this way!
    KingKobraNervousRhinoNotacult
  • JoeJoeB88 said:
    This is another episode where very little happened yet I find it all so intriguing. Watching how Mike and Gus choose to approach these engineers is satisfying unto itself, even as I can't imagine any other TV show handling it this way. It says plenty about Mike and Gus' character that they show basic kindness to these men- even as they're wearing a hood and must be terrified of that fact.

Why did Gus choose the German engineer over the French one? Gus is a cautious man. The French engineer was too confident and sure of himself. The German was full of doubt and kept emphasizing the dangers and risks. Is that the same conclusion you all drew, too? I thought him being sick from the car ride is a bit of characterization. He's sensitive to risk- he's sensitive to bumpy car rides. Caution itself is born of a sensitivity and awareness to the risks you are taking.

I see Jimmy extracting revenge on those who robbed him. Will he reconnect with the motorcycle gang for revenge? Mike? The thieves probably assume Jimmy is a vanilla scaredy-cat who will never show his face in that part of town again. Not likely.
    Re Gus: I do agree on the too confident part. The French contractor dismissed most of the risk and had a very tight timeline. The German while confident that it could be done laid out all of the possible risk before hand, which is what I think Gus was looking for (someone who wasn’t trying to take the job lightly). 
    NervousRhinoEine Frau
  • I recently read an interview with Vince Gilligan, where he talked about making a confident-looking show, and his confidence in writing, and he said: 

"Sometimes confidence can lead you to accept the first decent idea instead of to really strive to even discard that and go for the ultimate great idea. So in a weird way, I think confidence is overrated sometimes. Lack of confidence can actually get you farther if you have the right amount of time and the right tools and the right people helping you." – Vince Gilligan 

So, I definitely think that his feelings toward confidence and confident people is influencing the german/french engineer choice with Gus and Mike. 

Here is the full interview if anyone is interested: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/breaking-bad/60217/vince-gilligan-interview-breaking-bad-10-years-on

• Does Kim "love" Jimmy?  Why would she be with him.  If I were the male equiv of Kim (handsome with a career), and I were dating the female equiv of Jimmy, I'd stop and ask myself some questions.
  • tom_g said:
    Does Kim "love" Jimmy?  Why would she be with him.  If I were the male equiv of Kim (handsome with a career), and I were dating the female equiv of Jimmy, I'd stop and ask myself some questions.
    In a way she does, but we always comments like “how does she/he stay with them”. Yet, we see over and over that love and other connections can overcome what are seen as shortcomings. Jimmy makes her feel “alive” and he makes her laugh, two important things for her. He’s also been a “constant” in her life, when everything else is chaotic he is there as a baseline. 
    Dee
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    So last week, Mike calls out a group therapy tourist and this week Howard is tending to insomina-related facial wounds?

I think I know what they're referencing, but I'm not allowed to talk about it :)
    AspiewithalibrarycardEine Frau
    We've had our first color appearance of Saul/Cinnabon Gene...

• Hello A.Ron and Jim - love the podcast!  I think Kim is dealing with Chuck's death by doing everything she can to make Mesa Verde fire her.  Working for them reminds her of Chuck and she doesn't think she deserves that job.  Maybe she's punishing herself by working with low-life criminals.  I think she wants to rebuild her law career by starting at the bottom and doing everything herself - with no help from Jimmy.
    Murderbear
    Snapping the phone in two prevents you from accidentally using it again.
    JoshuaHeter
    Jimmy is watching Dr. Zhivago because even Russian literature has faster moving storylines than this season :)
    Dummy said:
    C'mon...I mean I know the Electoral College is an outdated mechanism but it's not THAT much of a shit show. Yet.
    MurderbearJoshuaHeter
  • hey guys... come on, yeah Jimmy said "sa'll good man" in reason one when he was doing the Rolex scams in Illinois. But he literally created the Saul Goodman character for the commercial caper just last season! He does a whole Saul Goodman commercial and even introduces it to Kim....

Also, we aren't meant to think Jimmy is RIGHT when we see him tearing up the therapist's phone number... we know it's a bad idea. It's not like Saul turns out well. We see him in complete shambles and how Saul ends up in this actual episode. It's supposed to be very clear that Jimmy is totally desensitized to his feelings. 

Aron, you saying that the Villigang is "anti therapy" because they have Jimmy (who is a career criminal and an eventual scumbag) say no to therapy is extremely reckless... 

Saul is a scumbag. Jimmy doesn't turn into Saul by taking therapy seriously and working on being a better person... 

Right now Jimmy's either repressing his feelings or is completely desensitized. Vince & co are clearly not shitting on therapy. That's such a shallow take of the situation. 

Tom_A said:

Aron, you saying that the Villigang is "anti therapy" because they have Jimmy (who is a career criminal and an eventual scumbag) say no to therapy is extremely reckless... 

Okay, but if Kim brings out the talking pillow, we riot :)
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited September 2018
    Another great "Insider Podcast" this week - with the coolest detail being that they shot the teaser on film like Breaking Bad, even though BCS is shot digitally, so it would really look and feel like a scene from the Breaking Bad era

And I echo their (on the insider cast) sentiment about getting really excited when Saul says "tell 'em Jimmy sent you" to Francesca .... Saul and Jimmy worlds are colliding post-Breaking Bad! ... it's gotta be Kim right?!
    JoshuaHeterDee
    What's in the box? Coffee. It's clearly freeze-dried Dead Man's Brew.
    JoshuaHeterJim
  • Gus clearly has an eye for educated professionals...the German engineer, Gale, and oh yeah - Walter White.  It makes sense that he would choose the meticulous German scientist instead of the over-confident tunnel digger.