What is the most ridiculous thing you've seen in a movie

TravisTravis CA
edited April 2015 in Movies

So, I'm listening to the BS Report with Simmons and Wesley Morris and in talking about Furious 7 they have segued off into ridiculous things that happen in action movies (ie in Speed when the bus jumps as opposed to "falling straight down into a fiery abyss" as Simmons said) so I thought this may be a fun topic.

I'll set the bar low, but hilariously low, as that is typically the best way to start. Though there are things that are far more ridiculous this one has stuck with me and came to mind instantly when they started on the subject: Vanilla Ice was once in this total train wreck called  "Cool As Ice" and when we meet his character he bunny hops a 4 foot fence on his motorcycle (the ground actually meets the fence on a slight down-slope). Also, there is a dude on a zebra print black and neon green crotch rocket and a ridiculous soundtrack. This may be the most early 90s thing I've ever seen in my life. If only David Silver could have been a member of his gang.

https://youtu.be/4Iy4DLp0WQU

Comments

• JimJim
    edited April 2015
    It's easily the cold fusion-esque explosion from Chain Reaction (1996) where Keanu Reeves outruns a nuclear explosion on what amounts to a souped up moped.

(the explosion starts around the 1 minute mark)
    A_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • And let's not forget about the infamous scene in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull in which he survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator.
    TravisTaraC73
  • Or Dennis Quad running away from cold weather on The Day After Tomorrow.
    FlashGordonTravisghm3
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 2015
    When Will Smith storms over to a spaceship thing with absolutely no idea who or what is in there and then tears it open and punches the alien inside. Nearly 20 years later and Independence Day still infuriates me.
    TravisTaraC73
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Dee said:

When Will Smith storms over to a spaceship thing with absolutely no idea who or what is in there and then tears it open and punches the alien inside. Nearly 20 years later and Independence Day still infuriates me.

"He knocked out his outfit." -Patrice O'Neal on the subject of Will Smith punching the alien in Independence Day
  • Killer grass and trees. - The Happening. 
    TravisReni
    Nicolas Cage has made a whole career out of trying to one up himself on ridiculous roles. Between "Wicker Man" and "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans" alone he nabs close to 30 of the top 100 ridiculous movie scenes.
    Travisghm3Jim
  • Freddy said:

Nicolas Cage has made a whole career out of trying to one up himself on ridiculous roles. Between "Wicker Man" and "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans" alone he nabs close to 30 of the top 100 ridiculous movie scenes.

The whole movie for Wicker Man makes my most ridiculous list!
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

Not a movie, but I think Daryl and Carol in the bus definitely has a place in this conversation. Especially for the fact that they shot/edited it so incredibly poorly.

@Jim That clip is hilarious! In Chain Reaction I also would also add simply "Keanu Reeves: Nuclear Physicist" on its own. Almost as bizarre as "Keanu Reeves does Shakespeare." (one of the worst performances I think I've ever seen, not THEE worst, but certainly up there)

AntManBee
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Having just seen Furious 7, I'd have to go with that one. Even after the theatre all basically agreed to turn our brains off before-hand there were still a dozen scenes that made me go WTF!?

No Spoilers, but I'm 1000% sure that if you climb onto the hood of your own vehicle while at high speed, the vehicle doesn't simply continue to drive straight as an arrow at the same speed (and how DO you get onto the hood w/o touching the steering wheel and making said vehicle turn?)
    TravisTaraC73
  • A lot of James Bond films have plenty of ridiculous action sequences. The most ridiculous I've seen in Roger Moore's 80s Bond films (all the skiing stunts, driving a car on it's side, riding a helicopter/plane in the sky).
    TravisA_Ron_Hubbard
    Nicolas Cage and Keaneu Reeves need to do a serious buddy cop movie just for the sake of this thread.
    JimTravis
  • It's too hard to choose. But I will go slightly OT and say the most ridiculous thing I've seen in New Media in the past decade was Bill Simmons taking the college dorm pop-culture bull session and popularizing it as some quasi-artform. I'll give him his props for being able to do so but as a starting point for discussing the artistic merits of pop culture, Grantland's Top Five lists and knock out brackets feel like they do more harm than good. Not to mention that reading Grantland or listening to it's podcasts makes you feel that if you don't get on board with Kanye West as The Living God of all that is Pop Culture then you're doing it wrong.
    Hatorian
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Freddy said:

God bless you for reminding me of this video:  
    FreddyHatorian
    edited April 2015
    ^^^Case closed, ladies and gentlemen.
    Hatorian
  • edited April 2015
    @Jim Not to shit all over your selection but I can't help it. Did you know that there was a survivor at ground zero of the nuclear bomb detonation on Hiroshima? I'm not talking about people that lived for a few weeks or months, I mean survived with a normalish life, like into old age.

There's a very intriguing NatGeo episode that covers it:
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, but did they survive by outrunning the explosion on a moped?  That's the crucial absurdity, not that anyone could survive a blast.

Hell, I saw Wolverine and some WW2 soldier do it last year, to say nothing of Dr. Jones.  It aint' that hard.
    TravisHatorianksa1001
  • JimJim
    edited April 2015
    There are a lot of "ridiculous" things in horror films but one of my favorites is a woman getting her face frozen and then smashed in Jason X.  Made even more ridiculous by how much the guy playing Jason is groping the actress as he pulls her over to the counter.  I'm sure she was pissed as soon as the director called 'cut'.

There are about a thousand horror comedy films that are insane and ridiculous.  Warwick Davis bursts out of some guy's dick in Leprechaun 4 in Space...
    Hatorianksa1001
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard He didn't actually outrun it though.. and the scene of the explosions closing in on him is such normal cliche '80s/'90s action movie nonsense, you'd have to call out almost every action movie ever from that era. There are so many movies/TV shows of people surviving explosions that in reality would have ruptured and liquefied their organs from the shock wave.

Anyway, I'll go recent with my pick. I submit the entire piece of shit known as Elysium, but if I have to pick a specific scene of hilarious absurdity (the movie is literally chock-full of them) I think I have to go with this hilarious nonsensical bullshit:

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @Jim I assumed that "accidental" groping was a "perk", no?
This discussion has been closed.