Episode 709 - "Severance"

Director: Scott Hornbacher
Writer: Matthew Weiner

Comments

• There was something a little off about her upper lip - I'll pass.
    steph_b
  • tom_g said:

There was something a little off about her upper lip - I'll pass.

my buddy dated that girl for a few years. her mom is andie macdowell.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited April 2015
    I love that Ken is going to be their client after they fired him in such a shitty way. >:)
    As a woman, I hated the way Joan & Peggy got treated in that meeting. It was horrible, and even more horrible that they had to sit there and take that. Ugh.
    And I was SO glad to hear Don and Megan are getting a divorce. The ads they used to promote these final episodes featured her pretty heavily, so I'm afraid that we haven't seen the last of her, but hopefully it won't be too much.
    And ... I'm a bit confused about the waitress at the diner - is she a prostitute? Or was the $100 she was talking about the tip Roger left the last time they were there?
  • edited April 2015
    cmm said:

tom_g said:

I-There was something a little off about her upper lip - I'll pass.

• I love that Ken is going to be their client after they fired him in such a shitty way. >:)
    As a woman, I hated the way Joan & Peggy got treated in that meeting. It was horrible, and even more horrible that they had to sit there and take that. Ugh.
    And I was SO glad to hear Don and Megan are getting a divorce. The ads they used to promote these final episodes featured her pretty heavily, so I'm afraid that we haven't seen the last of her, but hopefully it won't be too much.
    And ... I'm a bit confused about the waitress at the diner - is she a prostitute? Or was the $100 she was talking about the tip Roger left the last time they were there?

I'm a bit confused about the waitress at the diner - is she a prostitute? Or was the $100 she was talking about the tip Roger left the last time they were there?

I think she was absolutely referring to the hundred dollars that Roger left from the previous visit. However, I Think she is very familiar with this scenario and how it played out- man leaves outrageously large tip, man returns expecting something for it other than wait service.
    AntManBee
  • Some thoughts:

Those Peggy & Joan scenes have spin-off written all over them.

I'm thinking the waitress is a generic stand in for Midge/Rachel/Sylvia/Flaky school teacher.

Peggy is looking so good this season. ANd HOT DAMN Stan. 

I cant even with the mustaches. 

The mink pitch parallels the London Fog "limit your exposure" pitch with the whole nekkid lady in a coat thing.

I love this show so hard - so bittersweet. 
    AntManBee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm a little bummed they jumped ahead in time so much. It's not that we left the 60s, it's just that they're going to have to play catch-up and the show is so much more interesting when things are happening in the present. Peggy's date was the most gripping storyline, and that includes the sexist meeting and tete-a-tete with Joan which prompted it.

It's just that the Mad Men seasons, when taken as individual seasons, have always been a bit of a slog in the beginning with payoff in the second half. I had hoped season 7 wouldn't be two mini-seasons. I had hoped Weiner would say fuck 'em and have this next episode pick right up with the drama of the buyout. And Lou! Don's triumph over Lou. I wanted to see that.

It's still my favorite show. I mean, I'm literally complaining that Mad Men is not more conventional, which is weak.
    steph_bAntManBee
  • How long was the jump exactly? I know we pick up April 1970 but I cant remember where we left off. 
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @steph_b  Approximately nine months.  We left off in July 1969, and Nixon's speech was April 30,1970.

steph_b
  • Thanks, mamacita!  
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @steph_b  You're welcome.

@cmm That was Rainey Qualley?  I knew she looked familiar.  Her sister, Margaret, plays Jill Garvey on The Leftovers.  I didn't think anything was weird about her upper lip.  Both she and her sister are beautiful.  That's what happens when you let two models breed.
    AntManBee
  • So we're about nine months after the events of the 7A finale....long enough for Roger and Ted to grow those awesome mustaches.  I wonder if we'll see more significant time jumps between these final episodes?  The song "Love Hangover", which was used in the season promos, was a hit in 1976.  Perhaps this great series will end with a dose of Bicentennial fever?

Overall a solid debut for the final half-season....can't wait to see how they wrap things up.

• I'm not sure what to think about this premeire, I know it wasn't bad. 
  • Yeah, it was a strange episode.  I'm still not sure why Don is obsessed with that waitress.

• AndrewAndrew New York
    The wine spilling on the floor looked so much like blood that, when coupled with his fever dream of choking a B out and stuffing her under his bed, I'm convinced Don will end up killing someone.  He'll have an option of running away again or facing consequences, hilarity will ensue.
    AntManBee
  • @steph_b  You're welcome.

@cmm That was Rainey Qualley?  I knew she looked familiar.  Her sister, Margaret, plays Jill Garvey on The Leftovers.  I didn't think anything was weird about her upper lip.  Both she and her sister are beautiful.  That's what happens when you let two models breed.
    nail on head. def rainey.
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    Andrew said:

The wine spilling on the floor looked so much like blood that, when coupled with his fever dream of choking a B out and stuffing her under his bed, I'm convinced Don will end up killing someone.  He'll have an option of running away again or facing consequences, hilarity will ensue.

Ha. When seeing the wine, and the way the girl was hovered over it, I immediately imagined it being Don lying on the floor covered in blood. In fact, about 3/4 through the episode, I had convinced myself that Don was already dead, lol. (It didn't help that Jon Hamm was looking younger than ever, for some reason.)

Vulture has a pretty awesome recap, for anyone looking to delve into the episode.

steph_bAntManBee
  • I love your podcasts, gentlemen, but not knowing who Mike Nichols is....yikes. Free pass this time as you guys do pods on tv and not cinema. ;)  And kudos to looking it up and not faking it.
    steph_bAntManBee
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited April 2015
    I think I am possibly as attracted to Stan as A.Ron is....possibly. 

I ship Peggy and Stan hard, they are just perfect foils of each other and the actors have a lot of cute natural chemistry. I think the reason I really don't ship Peggy and Don is that it would never feel like an equal relationship. I don't think if they could completely shake the master, student thing. But Peggy and Stan are equal ground. 
    steph_bAntManBeeAmelia
  • I still have nightmares of this:

• Really enjoyed this podcast. One comment on the Pete-Ken dynamic: when Pete says 'and I would be happy to give you a reference' or something like that to me was clearly meant to show Pete thinks he's above Ken and it seems that is how Ken took it. Only a superior would serve as a future job reference.
    steph_bAmelia
  • I could be wrong, but I don't think we saw Don Draper drinking alcohol in the season premiere.  Maybe he's officially off the juice now, and just a good old-fashioned sex addict.

• "Mildred Pierce" was also made into a famous movie staring Joan Crawford. I'm guessing Roger was thinking of the movie not the book.

Regarding Ken, he hasn't written anything in a long time, so he's probably scared he doesn't have the goods to be a writer anymore. If I'm remembering correctly, at some point in the past, Roger forced him to choose between writing and his career at the firm. So he sacrificed both his eye and his dream to be a writer for that soul-sucking job. It's very hard and scary to go back to writing after years of not doing it; it's much easier to take a job he already knows how to do that is also offering the promise of sweet revenge.

Also, Peggy and Stan 4evah! Who needs the high-maintenance nightmare that is Don Draper?

AntManBee
  • @Amelia Yeah, Roger's ultimatum to Ken happens in S4 suspiciously after a dinner party at the Campbells. But it's revealed in S5 that he was still writing, just under a different pen name.

I imagine he stopped at some point during his handling of the Jaguar account in '68.All the stress and losing his eye was probably so soul-crushing that he just gave up on his creative outlet.
    steph_bAmelia