4.06 Piñata

Written by Gennifer Hutchison
Directed by Andrew Stanton
Cinematography by Marshall Adams
Edited by Chris McCaleb

Andrew Stanton is a filmmaker known for writing and directing Pixar movies (A Bug’s LifeFinding NemoFinding DoryWALL-EMonsters, Inc, and the Toy Story films)Stanton recently directed two episodes of Stranger Things. This is his first episode working in the Heisenverse. 

4x06 coverage on Heisenberg Chronicles
MrXNatter Cast

Comments

• Really liked how this episode balanced all the character threads ... had a great Jimmy-Howard scene, a chilling Gus monologue, some fun German warehouse shennanigans (Kai - when Mike is looking at you like that,  STFU), a lot of movement on the Kim career front (and that scene where she tells Jimmy also is great), and of course Jimmy's pinata revenge plan.
    KingKobra
  • Well they set up what happened to Kim. Her becoming partner will for sure set her up on a more comfortable life path. I’m wondering if she can stay there without sabotaging herself. It was also good to see the scene of her and Jimmy as mail clerks. That scene may show just how good Jimmy actually is. He didn’t know anything at that point, yet still pushed though and got his degree. 

I know it has to be a a red herring, but Kai doesn’t seem long for this world. He’s a sh*t stirrer and that won’t fly with Mike. 

Gus planning to keep Don alive just to make him suffer may be one of the coldest things yet. This is a long game and payback is a mofo. 

As for Jimmy, finally getting his crew together. He spent a pretty penny getting those phones, but I guess long term that’s a small investment compared to all The clientele connections he’ll get. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man, this was an episode with some dark, chilling stuff. Kind of from all angles. Even Kim's disclosure to Jimmy seemed cold, or at least a bit colder than we are used to from her. You can't help but wonder how much of her decision was made by Jimmy's decision to not seek professional help. Or perhaps she saw that he wanted to do what was right for him (not calling about therapy) and decided she needed to do what was right for her also. The most relatable, sympathetic person in the episode was Howard. I've always been pro-Howard, but he's never been the most sympathetic...this show. 
  • Howards End was released in 1992. Does that jive with the timeline ? 
  • adobo1148 said:
    Howards End was released in 1992. Does that jive with the timeline ? 

So that would set the flashback in winter 1993, about 10 years before the main storyline. I think that works.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It's weird, I really loved this episode but I don't really have a whole lot to say about it. I got that feeling from others in the instant chat last night too. Not a whole lot of talk. Just a well made, solid character driven episode.

One thing I really liked was in the opening scene with Kim and Jimmy, after Chuck was reveling in his success with Howard, Jimmy said to Kim "That'll be you someday." And with all the confidence in the world she said "Yup." No humbleness, no "Oh well I hope so too Jimmy..." She was fierce and determined and knew exactly what she wanted. I loved it.

I also liked Jimmy's notebook being a big factor in her decision. I think she was looking at all the different types of law he could potentially practice in (copyright, gaming, retirement, criminal etc) and every one under her name was Banking Law, Banking Law, Banking Law. I'm guessing she was already toying with the idea of joining another firm but I think that really cemented it for her. She doesn't want to be trapped. And honestly, I wonder if she sees this as a way out from Jimmy. She's not dumb, I imagine she suspects ol Slippin Jimmy could be rearing his ugly head again.
    KingKobraDoubleA_RonJoshuaHeterAww_PHuuCk
  • What is the mark up on a pre-paid phone, and how many does Jimmy have to sell before this is worth his time?  Not exactly blue Meth type money.

I really like that there is not a clear Jimmy v Chuck theme to this season - seems like the direction for the second half of the season is wide open.
    I wondered the same thing @tom_g I asked the guys last night what they thought he was selling those phones for and they figured a hundred bucks. Don't know what the actual cost on them is though.

Found this article from 2005 about prepaid phones. The phones range from 39.99-249.99. And Jimmy's came with 350 minutes which could be between .05¢-.15¢.

https://www.consumer-action.org/news/articles/2005_fall_newsletter
  • I wondered the same thing @tom_g I asked the guys last night what they thought he was selling those phones for and they figured a hundred bucks. Don't know what the actual cost on them is though.

Found this article from 2005 about prepaid phones. The phones range from 39.99-249.99. And Jimmy's came with 350 minutes which could be between .05¢-.15¢.

https://www.consumer-action.org/news/articles/2005_fall_newsletter
    I'm behind one podcast, but, will be in the car for 4 hours tomorrow.
    Murderbear
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    I wanna go to Camp Ehrmantrout.
    FlukesMrXFreddy
  • At some point the cost of building the super lab will compel Gus to find someone to produce a product in order to make the entire enterprise profitable. I’m guessing we get a flash forward of Mike telling Gus of the cost overruns of the build and Gus desperately needing a chemist who can deliver and.........end of series.
    MurderbearJoshuaHeter
    edited September 11
    I've always imagined the series ending with Saul in his office and Francesca says over the intercom "Mr. Goodman, I have a Walter White here to see you."
    "Send him in." 
    Cut to black.
    Credits.
    tom_g said:
    What is the mark up on a pre-paid phone, and how many does Jimmy have to sell before this is worth his time?  Not exactly blue Meth type money.
    It has always struck me that it was less about the actual money he was getting from the phone sales and more to do with something to keep his hands busy. Jimmy hasn't mentioned anything about being in dire need of money like he has expressed in the past. We have received montages of him bouncing the ball, painting windows, and in general feeling like he is in a rut. Its a boredom, low-level heist thing than a money thing. 
    I've always imagined the series ending with Saul in his office and Francesca says over the intercom "Mr. Goodman, I have a Walter White here to see you."
    "Send him in." 
    Cut to black.
    Credits.
    Except it would be a Mr. Mayhew or something, because Walt was posing as Badger's uncle when he went to meet with Saul for the first time. 

But I did have a similar idea that the show would end with Saul having just secured his gaudy office, he walks in hopeful and arrogant as hell. Next shot, we see a gaunt Walter White walking out of a cancer treatment center that is in the same strip mall. I am not sure that timeline checks out. And based on more of what we have seen, we will need some conclusion to the Gene stuff that ties the whole story together in a nice package. So I don't think my previous idea will really work. 
    MurderbearJoshuaHeter
  • edited September 11
    So much piñata trauma. Jimmy should have at the very least forced the douchebags to pay back what they stole, I don't like how he seems to have just let them off the hook for stealing from him and kicking the crap out of him, I don't buy that he's going to be taken seriously and respected without at the very least evening that out. 

I really liked the warehouse parts, even though it makes no sense. They're in a huge warehouse but they only get two 2BR trailers? Wtf why? There's absolutely no reason for that. The most obvious easy thing to do is to simply get them each an RV or popup camper trailer to roll up in the warehouse, or honestly just simple built-up rooms like at conventions, and have a few built-up bathrooms in the warehouse for everyone to use. I'd also put a single larger kitchen/cafeteria out there that's much better some crappy RV/trailer cooking. 

Murderbear
  • ghm3 said:
    So much piñata trauma. Jimmy should have at the very least forced the douchebags to pay back what they stole, I don't like how he seems to have just let them off the hook for stealing from him and kicking the crap out of him, I don't buy that he's going to be taken seriously and respected without at the very least evening that out. 

I really liked the warehouse parts, even though it makes no sense. They're in a huge warehouse but they only get two 2BR trailers? Wtf why? There's absolutely no reason for that. The most obvious easy thing to do is to simply get them each an RV or popup camper trailer to roll up in the warehouse, or honestly just simple built-up rooms like at conventions, and have a few built-up bathrooms in the warehouse for everyone to use. I'd also put a single larger kitchen/cafeteria out there that's much better some crappy RV/trailer cooking. 

Keep them comfortable but not too comfortable. They are there to work. They’ve been given comforts, but at the same time won’t be coddled. You’re being much too nice to the help :p  
    @Garthgou81 Shit I forgot about the Badger's uncle thing. And yeah, you're right, realistically it should end with Gene stuff. I could just picture it so easily in my head, it's the only ending I could forsee.
    This week's movie reference: Titus, "Hark Ye Villains..."

DummyAww_PHuuCkKela15
    Good episode, but, uh, they foreshadowed another Hummel Heist(tm), didn't they? Young kid, just out of college, probably prone to losing things, doesn't know the value...easy pickin's for ol' Hummel Heistin' Jimmy. 

And to think I used to make fun of my folks for watching Matlock. 
    Murderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 12
    That Gus story was bone chilling. And loving seeing Mike run a team. Just the way that camera monitor said "hey Mike" tells you everything you need to know about Mike's management style. Firm, yet surprisingly friendly as long as people do what he asks.

Have to be honest though, I'm not a fan of the rest of the show this season. Don't hate it, but find myself thinking "hurry up and get back to the Mike and Gus show."
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited September 12
    Does anyone have a take on why Jimmy shit on Howard? It looked like he was about to leave, but then turned and really lit into him.

I have a couple of thoughts, but nothing seems quite right. Anyone else?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm re-watching now. anyone notice the similar color schemes with Kim and Jimmy?
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited September 12
    @Murderbear @Garthgou81

I liked MB’s idea, but yeah the Mayhew thing, and they’ll likely end on Gene.

That said, it would be a cool Easter Egg if they showed “Mr. Mayhew” being buzzed in (or whatever) before they cut to another scene or something.

That said, how plausible (if at all) that we’ll see any of the following characters in the Gene timeline...

1. Kim
    2. Walter
    3. Jesse (not holding my breath)
    4. Howard
    5. Bill Burr (Kubi?)
    6. Force Ghost Chuck
    7. Someone else significant from BB / BCS
  • Re/watching B.B. on a trip and noticed the bank Walt uses to get the money for the RV is Mesa Verde. Probably already been mentioned but that was cool to notice. 
    MurderbearChinaskiJoshuaHeterAww_PHuuCkDoubleA_Ron
    Does anyone have a take on why Jimmy shit on Howard? It looked like he was about to leave, but then turned and really lit into him.

I have a couple of thoughts, but nothing seems quite right. Anyone else?
    I feel like that was how he thought he could motivate Howard. A little bit of tough love. I'm sure Jimmy does actually feel some guilt towards Howard and HHM for how things went with Chuck. So despite his prickly attitude towards him, he probably genuinely hopes they turn it around.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Loved the cold open because it gave me an “A-ha” moment. Kim and Chuck talk legalese. Kim obviously admires Chuck. Jimmy has no fucking clue what they’re talking about. Embarrassed, and hating to come in second to Chuck, Jimmy begins his law degree studies. Jimmy didn’t become a lawyer because he loves the law. Jimmy became a lawyer because he felt left out. There is no way that motivation leads to a successful career. So...a-ha! Now I know why he fails and becomes Saul. 
    Hatorian said:
    Re/watching B.B. on a trip and noticed the bank Walt uses to get the money for the RV is Mesa Verde. Probably already been mentioned but that was cool to notice. 
    Does he? Holy shit. I’ve never heard that. How cool. 
  • Another interesting point on this is that it’s a Credit Union and not a bank. 

A credit union is basically a not for profit  bank. We know Kim is a justice warrior. So maybe she ends up getting Mesa Verde to be a not for profit Organization. 
  • Hatorian said:
    If you're watching that on your phone, how did you take that picture?
    Aww_PHuuCkMurderbear