American Gods S2 ... does not sound promising

Looks like it's gone off the rails. Which is too bad, I quite enjoyed season 1 and was looking forward to seeing how they tackled the rest of the book. Oh well, hopefully Good Omens on Amazon will be good (the cast is amazing!)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/american-gods-sidelines-new-showrunner-delays-frustrations-1140946

Comments

• Come on STARZ, I just really want to see Jonathan Tucker with more screen time as Low-Key.
    Elisa
  • edited September 12
    As a non-book-reader, I thought the first season was good. I wonder what Neil Gaiman didn't like about it. I also don't understand why it's so hard to write the scripts when there's already a novel.
    Elisa
  • Yeah, this sounds like a Walking Dead level shit show.  It seems like Starz fired Fuller for budget reasons and then got upset when the show didn't look as good.
  • As a non-book-reader, I thought the first season was good. I wonder what Neil Gaiman didn't like about it. I also don't understand why it's so hard to write the scripts when there's already a novel.
    I believe they covered most all of the novel in season one, so season 2 May be “original”. I know there were articles posted in previous AG threads in regards to what he didn’t like (usually it’s when someone goes off from the written page).

I would say the toughest thing even if there are books and novels is making what is written work for the screen. If GoT (for instance) stuck to the book, we’d probably still be plodding through book 4 or 5 material and many fans would be “out” because of how “slow” it had become. 
  • I’m was disappointed to hear this when I saw it on Reddit. They had just started filming a little while ago and it seemed things were back on track. This show has been kind of cursed in all its delays and overages (which has happened again in this season). I can understand being budget conscious, but one of the great things about season one were the visuals and “feel” of the show.  
  • KingKobra said:
    As a non-book-reader, I thought the first season was good. I wonder what Neil Gaiman didn't like about it. I also don't understand why it's so hard to write the scripts when there's already a novel.
    I believe they covered most all of the novel in season one, so season 2 May be “original”. 
    There's still a decent amount they haven't covered, including the biggest plot twists from the book. They're really trying to stretch it out though. I think even with all of the filler they've added to the plot, they should have been done with the entire story in two 8-episode seasons.
    KingKobra
  • Ah, there's a lot they haven't covered.

KingKobra said:
    I believe they covered most all of the novel in season one, so season 2 May be “original”. I know there were articles posted in previous AG threads in regards to what he didn’t like (usually it’s when someone goes off from the written page).

I would say the toughest thing even if there are books and novels is making what is written work for the screen. If GoT (for instance) stuck to the book, we’d probably still be plodding through book 4 or 5 material and many fans would be “out” because of how “slow” it had become. 

KingKobra
  • Thanks guys, I guess I remembered wrong. 
  • I have read the book (which is fantastic), and absolutely loved the first season.  I was sad when it was announced that Bryan Fuller was no longer showrunner because I feel he did such a good job.  But I hoped that Jesse Alexander could pull off a great second season. 
    Now Jesse Alexander is leaving, and this doesn't bode well for the show at all.
    This makes me sad.  They have such great source material with the novel, and they did a great job with the first season ... it's a shame there's so much trouble behind the scenes.   :(
  • I'm not going any further with this, and my memory of the first season is imperfect, but in fact I believe there's an important subplot for the rest of the book that hasn't even put in its first appearance yet.

KingKobra said:
    Thanks guys, I guess I remembered wrong.