AT&T CEO compared HBO to Tiffany's and Netflix to Wal-Mart

https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/12/hbo-vs-netflix-walmart/

Reading his quote, I don't think he was trying to take a shot at Netflix, so much as just painting a picture of the marketplace for the two streaming giants. It's an apt comparison, and will continue to be as long as AT&T doesn't mess with a good thing and Netflix does what it does.

HBO is the boutique shop that has a smaller but dedicated customer base who trusts their product. Subscribers have a high amount of confidence that what they are about to watch is going to be baseline good, if not incredible, with very few misses. Netflix blasts it's platform with thousands of original shows, docs and movies in hopes of scoring on a few major hits each year. They can't dump as much money into each project as HBO can, so the production values are more spread out, and it's more difficult to gauge what you are going to get with each original content they put out.

It's not a bad thing to be the boutique shop or the Wal-Mart of an industry. I have subscriptions for both and think I get a great value for both.

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Or at least Zales. :lol:

I sub to Netflix when there's something I want to see, and I immediately cancel after subbing because I'll see it within a month. I think they've only gotten 3 months from me this year? I wonder if they'll ever change that model.
    All the Chickens
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    so who's this lovely fella?

Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    ^^^^  It was so funny to hear ARon say that he thought The Shane Co. was just a midwest thing.  I *always* heard their commercials on the radio when I lived in the Bay Area and thought they were just a Bay Area thing.  
    Chinaski
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    He went to Jared
    Teresa from ConcordChinaskiMichelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    HBO has sort of lost its cache to me. I gave it up recently and don't miss it. We'll do it a la carte for the final GoT season but there's nothing else there that really grabs me any more.

Meanwhile I watch Netflix all the time- quality stuff, shit stuff, I don't care. It's become my main source of entertainment since we cancelled cable... And kind of already was. Hulu and YouTube are kind of tied for second (regular old YouTube, I don't have YouTube TV).
    ghm3Elisaken hale
  • Tiffany's might be a bit much and Walmart is a little patronizing, but I agree with the concept. I do like that it seems like AT&T is getting the picture of what HBO is and how they can compete. Trying to out do Netflix at what they do better than anyone else will only make HBO worse and Netflix better. 
  • I think he overreached a bit. He would have been served a bit better with Target to their Walmart
  • Tiffany's seems like an apt quality comparison.  There's no one doing TV better than HBO.  90% of those "Golden Age of TV" shows people talk about are on HBO.  I have my doubts that HBO will be able to significantly increase their output while maintaining that quality, so maybe the Target / Walmart comparison will be more accurate within a few years.
    KingKobra
  • Jim said:
    Tiffany's seems like an apt quality comparison.  There's no one doing TV better than HBO.  90% of those "Golden Age of TV" shows people talk about are on HBO.  I have my doubts that HBO will be able to significantly increase their output while maintaining that quality, so maybe the Target / Walmart comparison will be more accurate within a few years.
    Fair point. My snarky remark was aimed more towards his speech on his vision of their future where it seems he is going to go for quantity over quality. Plus I'm always annoyed with people who had nothing to do with building the success of something join the company and brag how great they are.
  • This is actually a really terrible comparison, it's completely improper and makes no sense. It's shocking how awful most people seem to be at making properly logical analogies/comparisons. 

It's baffling I have to even type this but Tiffany's and Walmart aren't even remotely the same thing nor do they compete with each other in any way whatsoever. No one fucking goes, "I was gonna get my wife a tennis bracelet at Tiffany's but then decided to get one at Walmart" just like no one fucking goes, "I was gonna get a necklace at Walmart but decided to get one at Tiffany's instead." They do not compete with each other. 

There's plenty of apt comparisons to actually make instead:

McLaren vs Toyota 
    Omega/Rolex vs Timex/Seiko
    Ruth's Chris vs Outback
    Five Guys/In-n-Out vs McDonald's/Burger King 
    etc.

These are very different brands that may not be direct competitors but are at least in the same industry doing the same thing, and are in no way mutually exclusive.

It's completely reasonable for someone that owns a McLaren 720S to also own a 4Runner.
    It's completely reasonable for someone with a $10,000 Rolex to also own a $100 Timex or Seiko.
    It's completely reasonable for the same person that likes Ruth's Chris to also like Outback.
    It's completely reasonable for the same person that prefers Five Guys or In-n-Out to also go to McD/BK sometimes. 

But I bet there's a shitload of people that go to Tiffany's that have never set foot in a Walmart, and vice-versa.
  • I'm not sure this is worth debating, but the quality of a comparison is normally judged in how well people understand what you are illustrating. I think most people understand this basic comparison without getting lost in the particulars of whether or not those companies or brand names he is comparing to also have many of the same customers.

KingKobra
  • edited September 13
    Did they though? The very existence of this article questions this. 
  • ghm3 said:
    Do you think this article wouldn't be written if he had instead made the Rolex vs Timex comparison? Any comparison made of quality vs quantity is going to be taken as a slight by some, even if it's appropriate.
    KingKobra
  • ghm3 said:
    Do you think this article wouldn't be written if he had instead made the Rolex vs Timex comparison? Any comparison made of quality vs quantity is going to be taken as a slight by some, even if it's appropriate.
    No, I don't, at least not in a way that resembles how it is. I don't think there would be any articles about him "dissing" Netflix if he compared it to Toyota. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited September 13
    I feel like we're having a much more boring version of the Silicon Valley "Mean Jerk Time" scene conversation here. Netflix is only Toyota here if you're talking about a Toyota sedan. I'm not sure I can agree that if he had made a much more strangely detailed comparison of Netflix being a Toyota Camry vs HBO being an Aston Martin Valkryie, there would be less articles about him dissing Netflix. At least not after everyone googled those cars to compare their MSRP value.

At the end of the day, you're either saying that the other company has more quantity and less quality than you, or you aren't.
    KingKobra
  • I feel like we're having a much more boring version of the Silicon Valley "Mean Jerk Time" scene conversation here. Netflix is only Toyota here if you're talking about a Toyota sedan. I'm not sure I can agree that if he had made a much more strangely detailed comparison of Netflix being a Toyota Camry vs HBO being an Aston Martin Valkryie, there would be less articles about him dissing Netflix. At least not after everyone googled those cars to compare their MSRP value.

At the end of the day, you're either saying that the other company has more quantity and less quality than you, or you aren't.
    I’m with you on this one. The comparisons were made because they were something people can easily associate with. If he had made a different comparison there would still be an article, but they’d just have to explain what the comparison meant. People associate a specialized quality with Tiffany while they associate Wal-Mart with more of a large “general store” quality. The comparison works in this case (IMO). Target and Wal-Mart are basically the same thing. It wouldn’t make sense comparing the two. 
    All the Chickens