Can someone sell me on Mad Men?

I haven't seen a single episode yet and I've been sort of interested in maybe starting to watch. However, nothing or no one has been able to truly sell me on the time investment? Can someone do me a favor and sell me on why Mad Men is worth a 7 season endeavor?

thanks!

Comments

• This show is well worth your time. It has amazing characters ... it's smart ... funny ... and has good drama as well.
    And they really put you "into" the 60s - I was born in the 70s, so have no idea what it was "like", but this show went to a lot of trouble in setting the tone, and look, and feel of the sixties, and evolved right along with the times.
  • This show is well worth your time. It has amazing characters ... it's smart ... funny ... and has good drama as well.
    And they really put you "into" the 60s - I was born in the 70s, so have no idea what it was "like", but this show went to a lot of trouble in setting the tone, and look, and feel of the sixties, and evolved right along with the times.

Thanks! I am sure i will eventually give it a try. Is there maybe a definitive episode to watch in order to be like "yea, this show is (not) for me."?
    April_May_June
  • It's a slow burn. Similar to the wire, the whole is more than the sum of its parts.
    Hatorian
  • Hatorian said:

Thanks! I am sure i will eventually give it a try. Is there maybe a definitive episode to watch in order to be like "yea, this show is (not) for me."?

I think the very first episode pretty much shows you everything the series wants to tell.
    ghm3ksa1001Hatorian
  • @AntManBee That's not good cause I too wanted to be convinced to give it another try after watching the pilot and having no interest in seeing another episode. 

I'm typically a sucker for a well made period piece and I was interested in the ad agency part, so I really couldn't stand how the show seemed to be 90% about Draper being a fucking douche instead of something actually interesting. 

I also wrote off The Americans because of the idiotic way that pilot ended with taking stupid risks because his neighbor is an asshole and camping out all night in the garage. I typically don't like to judge a show by its pilot but they both just lost me immediately.
    Hatorian
  • @ghm3 They definitely go more into the ad agency business aspect, but yeah, the show is definitely centered on Don Draper, his family, work, and all of his glorious douchiness.

I want to tell you to give it a few more episodes, but it sounds like it's just not for you.
    Hatorian
  • I'm not into the Mad Men thing. I watched the first season and the second season premier and I just couldn't do it. I will totally say that I get why I'm on a bit of an island. It's a beautifully made show, and I recommend giving it a shot for just that if nothing else. Ultimately it's on me and I have a similar problem with a lot of Scorsese movies. I get that I'm witnessing amazing filmmaking (or in this case tv making), but I couldn't find a foothold to bring me to care. It's my own personal hang-ups though. I definitely recommend watching it if nothing else for it's top to bottom construction.
    Hatorian
  • A lot of people take away different things from it. For instance, I know a few people who grew up in that era and enjoy it for the nostalgia. Some people just enjoy the pure drama.

I love all the cultural and historic references and how they play a part in how these characters relate and interact with each other. Then there is the personal angle as I also work in a client-based business, so I'm amused by and can relate to always having to please clients.

Hatorian
  • Give the whole first season a chance. If you get through the last episode "The Wheel" and still aren't on board, it's probably not for you.
    hypergenesbsteph_bHatorian
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, it's unfortunate that you have to go through the entire first season to get to "The Wheel", but that to me, is worth the price of admission alone, and if you've never experienced long form storytelling like this before, is the part where you go "aha".  That scene plays so well because of the 12 hours it builds on.  I used to argue this with Mad Brew all of the damn time.  Yes, you have to be patient, but slow build character studies can get their hooks into you the way more "accessible" escapist fare usually doesn't.

That said, Mad Men isn't everybody's cup of tea, but my hope is that if you have the time, to commit to at least the first season.  And you have to *watch* it.  You can't passively take in this show while reading your cell phone or cooking dinner or clipping your toe nails or whatever, it's brand of magic just doesn't work that way.
    steph_bHatorianAntManBee
  • Thanks everyone! Seems like i just need to jump in the deep end and watch the first season and see how it goes.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Once I am done with BrBa, I'm going to give mad men a shot!
    FlashGordon
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    It's interesting, I will recommend and pretty much insist on Breaking Bad to everyone I've ever met. But it's quite the opposite with Mad Men. I have to know a lot about the person before I tell them to watch it, because it's not a show with mass appeal. It's hard to sell, because there's no One Minute or Crawl Space that you can watch off hand and be hooked. It takes investment, but the payoff is sooo worth it.
    HatorianA_Ron_HubbardAntManBeesteph_b
  • Thanks Ashley. That's kind of how I feel about it. I haven't seen any single moment that has "hooked" me. And it seems to be a slow burn period type show that requires a specific taste. Great summary.
  • @Hatorian I'm in a similar boat, but I have seen some mad men maybe the first half of Season 1, so this thread is a help.

I know i'll love it, it's just the commitment. 

I watched all 'The Sheild' over the last month or two, because it's not too complex you  can watch while doing other stuff without missing out on much. As A.Ron says Mad Men seems to require the attention it deserves when watching, so I'm still trying to persuade myself to get on with it and commit.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    TaraC73 said:

imageimage
    FlashGordonTaraC73Hatorian
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    I cannot sell you on it. Well, maybe I can. I started to watch the first season when it first came out, and I totally lost interest after a few episodes. I started watching again a couple years ago and now it is one of my favorite shows, I definitely think its one of the best shows... my favorites not always being the best. I don't know what it is... Maybe my appreciation for TV shows evolved or maybe its that I matured or maybe the show just gets better after season 1. I would credit Netflix for making it available to binge watch. I would also definitely credit Baldmove. The show is filled with artistic nuance, and I don't think I would "get it" or appreciate it half as much if I didn't have Jim, A.ron and the Baldmove community to enlighten me.
    CoryHatorianAmbitiousBukky
    Frakkin T said:

TaraC73 said:

imageimage
    New profile picture. Thanks!!

Frakkin T

• Thanks! I am sure i will eventually give it a try. Is there maybe a definitive episode to watch in order to be like "yea, this show is (not) for me."?

I think the first episode is as good of a place to start as any. You get all the great stuff I mentioned, as well as a pretty good "hook" at the end of the episode that makes you want to learn more about Don Draper, and the world he inhabits.
    Hatorian
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    One thing you have to know about that show - you have to watch ALL of it. It's not per episode extravaganza where you can just tune in any time to watch what's happening. It really important to watch all of it. Every person I have ever met who doesn't like it is because they watched episodes out of order or skipped a season.
  • Yeah, it's unfortunate that you have to go through the entire first season to get to "The Wheel", but that to me, is worth the price of admission alone, and if you've never experienced long form storytelling like this before, is the part where you go "aha".  That scene plays so well because of the 12 hours it builds on.  I used to argue this with Mad Brew all of the damn time.  Yes, you have to be patient, but slow build character studies can get their hooks into you the way more "accessible" escapist fare usually doesn't.

That said, Mad Men isn't everybody's cup of tea, but my hope is that if you have the time, to commit to at least the first season.  And you have to *watch* it.  You can't passively take in this show while reading your cell phone or cooking dinner or clipping your toe nails or whatever, it's brand of magic just doesn't work that way.

How many seasons have you guys podcasted? I'm in the "never seen it, but it's on the bucket list" camp for Mad Men. Re: BM podcasts, I know you guys keep the show feed trimmed to 20 or so, because any more and iTunes will delay the release date, but when the show does conclude, have you guys thought about reposting your entire coverage? That would be a huge incentive, and quite frankly a bonus, for those of us who haven't seen the show yet to binge watch.
  • Not saying the first 2 seasons aren't good, but you have to get through them to fully realize the show. Seasons 3 thru current are amazing. I've never watched a show with characters so fully realized. It's safe to say it's my favorite show ever. I can put on any episode at any time and be amazed by what I missed. It's the only show I go back to often. Do yourself a favor and watch this show. 
    AmbitiousBukky
    Judd B said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that you have to go through the entire first season to get to "The Wheel", but that to me, is worth the price of admission alone, and if you've never experienced long form storytelling like this before, is the part where you go "aha".  That scene plays so well because of the 12 hours it builds on.  I used to argue this with Mad Brew all of the damn time.  Yes, you have to be patient, but slow build character studies can get their hooks into you the way more "accessible" escapist fare usually doesn't.

How many seasons have you guys podcasted? I'm in the "never seen it, but it's on the bucket list" camp for Mad Men. Re: BM podcasts, I know you guys keep the show feed trimmed to 20 or so, because any more and iTunes will delay the release date, but when the show does conclude, have you guys thought about reposting your entire coverage? That would be a huge incentive, and quite frankly a bonus, for those of us who haven't seen the show yet to binge watch.
    Im listening to their breaking bad backlog and, while its a pain in the ass to do on the iPhone on safari, all of the old episodes are still on their website and you can listen directly in the browser. Like I said, not ideal for "on the go" listening, but if you're at home on a laptop or in for a long car ride where you can listen to a whole 1:15:00-2:00:00 cast it's still doable :)

or you could just use a different app---I don't have an iphone anymore but when I did I used Downcast--every episode of every podcast is in the feed
    I have downcast and can't get any of the season 4 or 5 breaking good casts on it - I can only get the newer ones (the re-watches of 1&2)
    Unless I'm missing a way to get older episodes?
    really? that is weird
  • TaraC73 said:

Judd B said:

Im listening to their breaking bad backlog and, while its a pain in the ass to do on the iPhone on safari, all of the old episodes are still on their website and you can listen directly in the browser. Like I said, not ideal for "on the go" listening, but if you're at home on a laptop or in for a long car ride where you can listen to a whole 1:15:00-2:00:00 cast it's still doable :)

I'm hoping once Jim & A-Ron finish their Season 3 Rewatch coverage and wrap a bow on their BrBa coverage, they'll re-release their entire catalog on iTunes.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, our stitcher feeds have all the episodes.  We keep them trim just so iTunes doesn't screw us.  I think we're looking into when shows go off-air to open up the catalog.  The reason we keep them trim, if you haven't heard it yet, is that when your feeds get a certain size, iTunes starts to update your feed slower and slower.  The feed size is supposed to be much higher than 20 episodes or so, but unforunately we've found when we flirt with going much higher than that, for our biggest shows, anyway, that our feeds get sluggish.  A few times with Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, our feeds didn't update for 48-72 hours after the episode published, which sucks for everyone.  Hasn't happened since we went slim and trim.

Obviously for a show where podcasts aren't currently being produced, that's not a concern.  And as others have commented, you can access them all on the website, although it's not nearly as nice as with a dedicated pod player.