Record Collection And Vinyl Talk

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2018
    Man, I need to figure out how to manipulate the arm on my record player to replace the needle. This is really making me want to bust out some albums. It also doesn't feel like it makes sense to expand my collection until I sort it out. For what it's worth, I think my next targets are going to be Daniel Rossen's Silent Hour/Golden Mile ep and do my damnedest to find Fionn Regan's The End of History, maybe some Okkervil River.
  • Travis said:
    Man, I need to figure out how to manipulate the arm on my record player to replace the needle. This is really making me want to bust out some albums. It also doesn't feel like it makes sense to expand my collection until I sort it out. For what it's worth, I think my next targets are going to be Daniel Rossen's Silent Hour/Golden Mile ep and do my damnedest to find Fionn Regan's The End of History, maybe some Okkervil River.
    Do you have a pic so maybe somebody here can help out? I'm no expert, mine is standard mount so it was almost economical to get an all-in-one cartridge/stylus replacement to get fresh cartridge wiring. 
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for saying that. The damned arm won't raise high enough to actually see what you're doing so I haven't been able to tweak in the needle which just sort of popped out one day. I'll take a picture of it tonight, maybe take another run at just solving for it too. I bet I'm just missing something really silly and simple, but I just haven't been able to figure it out yet. It's just one of those 5 or 6 in one, self contained unit things I think it's a Victrola (I miss my old one, but it died and we don't really have a full stereo anymore so I couldn't really justify the expense of getting something like that again). Thanks!

EDIT: Oh man. I'm a silly person. They totally have a support function on their website. Only took me like a year to arrive at that idea. (head slap) I think I can finally get this done! Thanks again!!!
  • That feeling when you find a R.E.M. live bootleg from 1985 among the stacks.
    Travis
  • Just bought my first 3 vinyl records and now I need to get a record player. Any recommendations? 
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 30
    @Naugustine Depends on how serious you are about the whole thing. For my purposes, since I enjoy vinyl more for the ceremonial aspect than the enhanced sound quality, my Vitctrola box was very reasonably priced and is nice because we don't really have anywhere that makes sense to lay out a speaker system it's self contained, and I could play tapes on it if I had any which is a nice little bonus that may come up someday. I have at times wished that it sounded better, but it ultimately suits my needs just fine and I'm happy with it.

If you're more serious about sound it's not the best. I mean it sounds fine to me, but I've never been a huge audiophile (which is kind of ironic considering I went to school for audio engineering many moons back). There would be better sources than me for advice on that front, but if you just like having records and want "replacement level" sound. A Victrola all in one type of deal isn't a bad way to go. I would avoid the Crosleys. I had one once and it didn't achieve the sound that even I required to make it worth it. I guess you get what you pay for.
    Naugustine
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I have an Audio Technica LP 120. it's about $250 but I play mine 4-6 hours a day. I play it through my Sonos system so I can hear it throughout the house. 
    TravisNaugustineCecilycdrive
  • I have a pretty decent collection. I dunno how I could share it.. list them I guess?

Interested I’m seeing what you guys have on your shelves.
    Naugustine
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I have an Ion Audio iPTUSB Portable USB Turntable sitting on top of a Sony ps-lx250h cause I’ve been too lazy for 5+years to buy a replacement stylus for the Sony.  

The portable is fun to bring poolside or camping. Also the USB allows you to digitize records.  I could never be a hardcore audiophile with a fancy expensive unit. Same as Travis about ceremonial reasons. Nostalgia for physical media and album art.
    NaugustineTravis
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Since I have all of them out, I'll start with my Neil Young vinyl collection

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere 180g reissue
    After the Gold Rush
    Journey Through The Past
    Harvest
    Time Fades Away Reissue
    On The Beach Reissue
    Tonight's The Night
    Zuma
    American Stars 'n Bars
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust
    Live at Massey Hall 1971
    Live at the Roxy: Tonight's The Night
    Hitchhiker
    Songs for Judy
    NaugustineTravis
  • edited March 30
    Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll definitely look into those 

My very weak collection so far is 
    Metallica Kill Em All 
                 Ride the Lighting 
                 Hardwired ... To Self Destruct
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 3
    I don't have a very large collection. I had a decent one but gave them all away when my record player broke and we were downsizing for a move. Been slowly working on rebuilding over the last couple of years though. Maybe I'll just go by bands to avoid a long list, also I'm at work so this is off the top of my head.
    Paul Simon/Simon and Garfunkel
    Sharon Van Etten
    Wye Oak
    Department of Eagles (In Ear Park is a wonderful, should be much more widely known album)
    Beck
    Sufjan Stevens
    Rural Alberta Advantage
    Herzog
    Warren Zevon
    Elvis Costello and the Attractions
    Fleetwood Mac
    a couple of jazz and classical collections
    Shearwater
    Elliott Smith
    Peter Schilling (gotta have Major Tom, man!)
    Tears For Fears
    Depeche Mode
    Dexter Gordon
    ...starting to blank out, but you get the gist.
    Naugustine
  • Good lord, a couple hundred. I should sit down and list what I have for just knowing, though. Tons of 80s stuff—pop & indie, some even earlier like early Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, complete Echo & the Bunnymen, Pink Floyd, lots of reggae, some Ella and jazz, a few early 90s country. A Lot of punk 45s. 
    NaugustinefidozTravis
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    fidoz said:
    I have an Audio Technica LP 120. it's about $250 but I play mine 4-6 hours a day. I play it through my Sonos system so I can hear it throughout the house. 
    That's so funny, we have the EXACT SAME set up!  It feels like cheating to have the sound of vinyl coming through finely made technology throughout the house.
    fidozNaugustinecdriveTravis
  • Vinyl through a Sonos?! FOR SHAME!

I have about 300 records and it would be worth cataloging at this point just to know. 

This morning's spin is Beck - Sea Change and man is it great sounding. 
    Kate23Travis

• Just bought my first 3 vinyl records and now I need to get a record player. Any recommendations? 
    The range of answers here go from a standalone 50-60 box (I wouldn't recommend it unless you are strapped for cash) to infinity amount of dollars. However, I have about 200 bucks into my old Kenwood turntable, another 200 in a couple of Klipsch bookshelf speakers, and 60 bucks in an old analog kenwood receiver I bought back when pawnshops were a thing. Eventually the vinyl channel blew on the receiver so I got a standalone pre-amp for another 200. These components all came at different times over the years as I became more able to afford upgrades. Vinyl is, for those of us addicts, a life long obsession. That is why I don't recommend one of those standalone Victrola looking boxes (also they are just plastic mock-ups that only look cool for about 5 minutes), but rather get the bare essentials in components and then you can upgrade bit by bit over the years if you find yourself getting drawn further in. 

The Audiotechnica turntables recommended above are very good  and probably considered the standard at their price-point. There are, however, cheaper options that will do just fine for you starting out (Pioneer, Crossly, Denon etc.)

But that's just like one old stoner's opinion... man
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Byrdie said:
    Vinyl through a Sonos?! FOR SHAME!

I have about 300 records and it would be worth cataloging at this point just to know. 

This morning's spin is Beck - Sea Change and man is it great sounding. 
    I used to listen through a preamp and bookshelf speakers but the the ability to listen anywhere in house won out. Sea Change is amazing and in my collection. 
    Byrdie
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    This morning's spinning has included Chuck Berry's Golden Decade, Elvis Costello "This Year's Model" and Matthew Sweet "Girlfriend."
    ByrdieKate23Travis
  • Have Golden Decade and This Year's Model as well  (Don't want to go to Chelsea ftw amiright?). RE: Sonos I am moving into a bigger place in a couple months and will have to make the decision between a Sonos type solution and/or running several hundred feet of speaker wire and switches etc. 
    Travis
  • This all inspired me to put on Steppenwolf Monster (don't ask). 

First LP& 45 you bought & maybe still have?

45: Blue Cheer, Summertime Blues

LP: Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed
  • LP - Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy - Found it for 75 cents in a salvation army bin in like 1998
    Traviscdrive
  • Byrdie said:
    LP - Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy - Found it for 75 cents in a salvation army bin in like 1998
    Deal of the year!
    I remember being really really young with birthday money and tagging along with my older sisters in K-Mart, looking in records while they were busy with makeup. These super cute guys said "I can't believe all that noise comes from just 3 guys," I'll never forget it. They threw the 45 on top of the bin, walked away, and I snatched it up lol. I still remember the thrill of listening to it for the first time!
    Traviscdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 1
    Pretty psyched, just placed an order for Yo La Tengo's ICFtHBaO, Wye Oak's the Knot, and probably most exciting-ly The Silver Jews' the Natural Bridge. Between that and my wife picking up Beck's Mutations for me recently I've got some fantastic new stuff to spin (now I just need some time to sit down with them).
    Kate23cdrive
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Picked up a slew of new old stuff. Cuts - Cuts, Jeff The Brotherhood - We are the Champions, Fingerprintz - The Very Dab, Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic, Joan Jett - I love Rock n Roll, Girlpool - Powerplant.
    TravisKate23cdrive
  • edited April 2
    The first LP I picked up was an original ‘65 pressing of Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited. Still sounds great.
    fidozKate23cdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 3
    Oh man, I remembered that (Beck's) Mutations was really good, but damn. That record is amazing! My wife totally rules. 

Felt great to break the seal on The Silver Jews' The Natural Bridge last night too. That record is so underappreciated.
    Dammit - I always knew Amy Poehler was in a Yo La Tengo T-Shirt back in the day on UCB after she ate Spaghetti Jesus, but I never knew a picture of her made it a Yo La Tengo 7" cover!!

This is a frivolous purchase for 14 euro and $15 shipping but I kinda have to have this in my life now.   

Travis
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Travis said:
    Oh man, I remembered that (Beck's) Mutations was really good, but damn. That record is amazing! My wife totally rules. 

Felt great to break the seal on The Silver Jews' The Natural Bridge last night too. That record is so underappreciated.
    Natural Bridge was my introduction to The Silver Jews.  So good. I don't have it on vinyl though. I do have American Water. 
    Travis
    Kate23 said:
    Byrdie said:
    LP - Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy - Found it for 75 cents in a salvation army bin in like 1998
    Deal of the year!
    I remember being really really young with birthday money and tagging along with my older sisters in K-Mart, looking in records while they were busy with makeup. These super cute guys said "I can't believe all that noise comes from just 3 guys," I'll never forget it. They threw the 45 on top of the bin, walked away, and I snatched it up lol. I still remember the thrill of listening to it for the first time!I
    I raided my Dad's side of my parent's closet at 14 and found Houses of the Holy, which I've held onto.  This hand-me-down stereo system I just got from our neighbor had a turntable so I went hunting for records in the house.  I too remember the 1st time with that album really well.  Who is Led Zeppelin? Wow this album art is nuts.  Then putting it on and having my mind 'sploded by Song Remains the Same & Rain Song.  
    Kate23Byrdie