HBO's Rome is Amazing

I'm 8 episodes in and I am just floored by how great the story, writing and acting is. Truly premiere television. Such a shame only 22 episodes were made. Check it out if you haven't already.

Titus Pullo greatest character of all time? Yes, yes he is.
FreibergApril_May_JuneElisaFlukesalexander.klassen

Comments

• I really loved this show. 

At at first I hated Pulo, but he became my favorite. 
    April_May_JuneElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Yes, yes it is. I'm glad you tried it... too few people do.

Antony/Atia forever.
    April_May_JunemjmulladyBroRad33
  • I really liked the first season but was a bit underwhelmed by the second.  It suffered the same problem all Roman entertainment does for me, from ‘Cleopatra’ to the History of Rome podcast, once Caesar dies I tend to lose interest (um, spoilers for a 2000 year old historical event, I guess).  That said I wish they would have been given a chance to work out the kinks over a like 5-6 season run, I think it could have been very good.  Tobias Menzies is excellent as Brutus, maybe the first thing I ever saw him in and now I’ll watch him in anything.
    April_May_JuneDoctor_Nick
  • Rome is one of my favorite shows!  It was so damn good!
    It still breaks my heart that they only made two seasons.   :'(
    ElisaCapeGabe
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'll have to gauge my wife's interest in this. We need something to watch together that has not-too-long a run. I appreciate the recommendation.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It is really fantastic. 
    Elisa
  • Funny, I think I remember enjoying this show while it aired.  I remember bits and pieces and that's mostly of those 2 roman solider guys and following them around.  Was just typing a potential spoiler but then realized that the original poster hasn't finished the series, so to be fair, I deleted it. 
  • Yeah the first season is amazing, the second was less so in my estimation.

I should start a post about how Deadwood Season 1 is oddly compelling.  
    Freiberg
    Alright, so we watched the first episode last night. We think we dig it. I'm glad they brought Caesar and Pompey to a head right away. I was worried that would drag on.

I don't know if first episode stuff is really spoilers, but
    I really felt for Octavia. She's forced to divorce a husband she loves, gets fucked by Pompey, and then he turns around and marries the widow instead. My jaw dropped on that reveal.

• I loved season one but I remember season two feeling very rushed.  HBO declined to renew the show for a third season so the writers had to speed up the pace.
    Freiberg
  • For anyone with an interest in history - especially ancient Rome, you can't recommend a better show. Some of the best written characters on HBO too btw - and that's saying something. 
    Freiberg
    Teletype said:
    I loved season one but I remember season two feeling very rushed.  HBO declined to renew the show for a third season so the writers had to speed up the pace.
    Those period-pieces are insanely expensive to produce. It isn't a coincidence that we saw Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale in what seemed like a premature manner. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    If you want more Rome, you can roll straight into I, Claudius. It takes place about 9 years later. Though the Augustus in "I, Claudius" doesn't bear any resemblance to the Octavian in Rome. He's more of a likable chump than a ruthless power player. 
    Flukes
  • If you want more Rome, you can roll straight into I, Claudius. It takes place about 9 years later. Though the Augustus in "I, Claudius" doesn't bear any resemblance to the Octavian in Rome. He's more of a likable chump than a ruthless power player. 
    I haven't seen I, Claudius in a long time. I wonder if it holds up. If I remember correctly it's shot with that 1980's jarring crisp videotape look. It might be a bit jarring going from Rome to that.  :) 

I recently re-watched Rome and it was so well acted. Everyone comes just to edge of overacting but it all comes off fantastic. James Purefoy is the definitive Marc Antony for me, exactly how I always imagined him.
    ElisaFreiberg
  • CapeGabe said:

I recently re-watched Rome and it was so well acted. Everyone comes just to edge of overacting but it all comes off fantastic. James Purefoy is the definitive Marc Antony for me, exactly how I always imagined him.
    Almost the entire cast is outstanding.  My only minor quibble is with Cleopatra, but she’s so much bigger than life I’m not sure who could have convincingly pulled that character off (besides Elizabeth Taylor).  Purefoy was great as Antony, but for me the defining Antony will always be, speaking of ‘Cleopatra,’ Richard Burton, he just brings such an appetite for life to the character.
  • For me Ciaran Hinds will always be the definitive Julius Ceaser.  He's a great actor, and was so perfect at that role!
    ElisaDoctor_NickJaimieTCapeGabe
    For me Ciaran Hinds will always be the definitive Julius Ceaser.  He's a great actor, and was so perfect at that role!
    I pretty much can't see him as a different character as that is where I discovered him. He is one of the best actors I have seen. Just fantastic. I'd watch him in about anything. 
    ElisaApril_May_June
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, it was funny when Julius Caesar was King Beyond the Wall. 

And Tobias Menzies at least go to shake it up a bit in my estimation in the Terror after Brutus and Edmure Tully (not have not seen Outlander)

It was funny The Terror had Caesar and Brutus together again. 
    ElisaApril_May_June
  • Yeah, it was funny when Julius Caesar was King Beyond the Wall. 

And Tobias Menzies at least go to shake it up a bit in my estimation in the Terror after Brutus and Edmure Tully (not have not seen Outlander)

Check out Munich for some craziness: Caesar and James Bond join Nero (Star Trek’s Nero not another Roman emperor, sadly) as Israeli assassins!  In all honesty the movie is really good, but I can’t see the cast without thinking of their other projects first.
    JaimieT
    Freiberg said:
    Yeah, it was funny when Julius Caesar was King Beyond the Wall. 

Check out Munich for some craziness: Caesar and James Bond join Nero (Star Trek’s Nero not another Roman emperor, sadly) as Israeli assassins!  In all honesty the movie is really good, but I can’t see the cast without thinking of their other projects first.

Also see John Carter (of Mars). Caesar AND Mark Antony (Hinds and Purefoy), both reprising their roles as "general" and "assistant to general." And Atia (Polly Walker) voices an alien. Someone was a fan of Rome...

I'm not sure why that movie did so poorly in the box office. I think it was the title? Taking out the "of Mars" removed it of its character. It was super fun. Pixar's Andrew Stanton wrote/directed it too!
  • My husband and I are currently watching Grey's Anatomy for the first time on Netflix.
    We were both super surprised to see Kevin McKidd!  We were like 'Oh wow, it's Lucius Vorenus!'  And we have fun calling out 'Thirteeeeeen!' whenever his character on Grey's Anatomy gets upset.    :D

JaimieTFreiberg
  • It's right up there with following Wire people.  Like did you know that Bunk is currently Jack Ryan's handler?  And Lieutenant Daniels made it all the way to police chief.... of LA.
    Freiberg
  • Well I just finished the show. 10/10 fucking incredible. Titus Pullo 2020 lets make it happen people!

On to Deadwood! 
    JaimieTApril_May_June
    Well I just finished the show. 10/10 fucking incredible. Titus Pullo 2020 lets make it happen people!

On to Deadwood! 

Deadwood, nice! Subtitles might be your friend with that... I'm doing subtitles on my (very slow) rewatch.
  • edited September 2018
    Subtitles? Why is the sound quiet or they just speak gibberish?

Ive never seen the show before so looking forward to it. 
    edited September 2018
    Subtitles? Why is the sound quiet or they just speak gibberish?

Ive never seen the show before so looking forward to it. 

Um, closer to them speaking gibberish yeah. ;) It's like The Expanse for me. New words + accents or mumbling. Also they speak very quickly.
    edited September 2018
    We're four episodes in now. Thanks for the recommendation everyone. :)

The show actually makes me feel pretty smart by revealing twists in a way that is very gratifying once they penny drops.

For example, the double-fake out about Niobe's child is revealed when Niobe breastfeeds him.

I like it when I go "hey, that doesn't seem quite.... OOOOOOOH"

ElisaJaimieT
  • I rewatched last year and loved it almost as much as the first time. Shame they had to cancel it. I bet it was expensive as hell. 
    Elisa
  • I’d love to get a commission on the pilot plus one other episode. James Purefoy said it was Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones. 
    JaimieTElisaFlukes