Book readers: Whats your favorite book?

For me I'd rank them as follows,

A Storm of Swords
A Dance With Dragons
A Game of Thrones
A Feast For Crows
A Clash of Kings

If I hadn't seen the show before reading the first book I probably would have been more impressed with it. But I read Storm before I watched the show and it blew me away. All the crazy shit GRRM packed into that book, Jaime's characterization, Red Wedding, Joffery, Oberyn, and LSH at the end. ASOS definitely has my favorite epilogue as well.

What do my fellow readers think?

Comments

• A Storm of Swords = A Dance With Dragons.
    A feast for Crows = A Game of Thrones
    A Clash of Kings.

Now... It gets really complicated if I were to talk about the Dunk and Egg novellas and the released Chapters from The Winds of Winter and the short story from Dangerous Women. Suffice to say there is a lot that I enjoy more than some of the novels!
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Those comparisons make sense. Feast is so much better to re read once you've gone thru Dance. I love the Dornish storyline. I've only have read Victarion and Arianne tWOW preview chapters and have heard crazy things happen in an Arya chapter but no specifics. Have not read the Dunk and Egg. Gonna have to get on that at some point here in the near future since it doesn't seem likely were going to get The Winds of Winter any time soon.
  • Yeah, the Ayra Chapter is pretty intense. :smile:

A lot of people hold the opinion that A Feast for Crows is boring but I genuinely really enjoyed it, even on my first read through. Sure, it wasn't action heavy but it was still very secreted in exploration and politics.
    Raiyne
    I loved Feast on the first read too. The new characters and settings were exciting. A few Brienne chapters lulled and got a little boring for me when she was just wandering around but that was about it. All the Cersei stuff was super interesting. Can't wait to see the walk portrayed on the show
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    1. A Storm of Swords
    2. A Dance with Dragons
    3. A Game of Thrones
    4. A Clash of Kings
    5. A Feast for Crows
    I might like Feast more on a second read, but I remember the first time I read it, I gave up about 1/3rd of the way through and started skimming for my favorite POVs and to see if the good guys ever start winning. My second read, it was still tough going, but half way through I started really enjoying some of the Dornish plots which develop more in Dance. And really, I'm more of a ASOS >= AGOT = ADWD = ACOK >> AFFC guy myself. In other words, Storm is slightly better than the other three, and Feast trails quite a bit. I still dread the Ironborn stuff on a re-read.
    uncle_g
    edited November 2014
    I personally think the Ironborn stuff is super interesting. Maybe it's just because I like pirates. But I agree the first read was rough at times but I think Euron is really fucking cool and I want to learn more about him. Victatrion is one dimesional, but he's gonna insert himself into the main story in tWOW so I'm excited for that. Like I said in my comment above, the Brienne chapters were the boring ones for me. Seemed like GRRM said, fuck it lets just have her wander around for a handful of chapters and have not much happen, but at least i'll get to show off more of this made up world I created. The chapter where Sandor is supposedly the gravedigger caught my attention though. Once I heard about that theory I re read it a ton of times. I'm convinced the gravedigger is the Hound now.
  • MihaiMihai Timisoara, RO

I might like Feast more on a second read, but I remember the first time I read it, I gave up about 1/3rd of the way through and started skimming for my favorite POVs and to see if the good guys ever start winning. My second read, it was still tough going, but half way through I started really enjoying some of the Dornish plots which develop more in Dance. And really, I'm more of a ASOS >= AGOT = ADWD = ACOK >> AFFC guy myself. In other words, Storm is slightly better than the other three, and Feast trails quite a bit. I still dread the Ironborn stuff on a re-read.

Maybe you're right. On the other hand, while I too dreaded Feast on the first read (partly because of what you said on the podcast), subsequently when thinking about it I slowly came to the conclusion that it's probably the most complex and best social commentary of the bunch. I began loving that book solely listening to conspiracy theories, the History of Westeros podcast (which is really good and insightful but has quite obnoxious hosts) and remembering details that at the moment seemed to drag forever; I can't wait to read it again.

So (for me)
    4: Feast for Crows (weird, but the more I think about this one I love it more; also sets up new regions)
    3: Storm of Swords (lots of action; love the way it completely reshuffles the board at the end)
    5: Dance with Dragons (pretty interesting, bit large, but continues the "new regions" thread from 4 and sets up interesting new threads)
    1: Game of Thrones (it's the setup, starts kind of slow)
    2: Clash of Kings (wasn't bad, but seems the most forgettable of them all)
  • ReelHeadReelHead Bochum, Germany
    My order would be:

5. Clash of Kings
    4. Feast for Crows
    ---------------
    3. Dance with Dragons
    2. Game of Thrones
    1. Storm of Swords

"Clash" doesn't really works for me. There are a lot of great moments, but I think that it feels a little to static overall, while "Feast" is at least full of different characters and regions.
  • I just really hate reading about Victorian. I mean, I really really hate it. More so than Brienne and Reek and Bran combined. I don't even actually mind Brienne chapters. :smiley:
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    A little background, once I read the joint feast/dance 'novel' (from boiled leather website) it just made me love those books so much more. Separate not as good especially Dance. I wanted to throw the book because I didn't fell that Darnerys journey advanced as much as it should. That said I love feast with the greyjoys, jamie, cersei and the Starks daughters.

Here's my list

1. Storm of Swords
    2. Feast/Dance
    3. GOT
    4. Clash

Taking them separately or as published

1. Storm of Swords
    2. GOT
    3. Feast
    4. Clash
    5. Dance
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Oh I really enjoyed the Dunk n Egg novellas, princess and the queen short story too. Right now I am diving into The World of Ice And Fire monster history book.
    gan, I'm the same way. I don't mind Asha, but Victarian and Europe can fuck right off.
    edited November 2014
    oh damn Aron, why dont you like Vic or Euron. Just curious? Is it because theyre complete one sided assholes? (because that's kind of why i enjoy them. Does that make me an asshole?)
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Victarion is an idiot but gotta love him. He's an egomaniac warrior, hell bent on glory the old iron born way. Now Euron is an evil mad man but he interests me because he's traveled to some of the more magical places in Essos and has a macabre agenda. He reminds me of Randall Flag in the Stand. He gives me the creeps.
  • Mike SnowMike Snow Portland, ME
    I guess I'm in a different camp on the Greyjoys cause Victarion is the only one whose chapters I find interesting other than Theon's. I like where they're going with his storyarc sailing to Slaver's Bay in search of Dany to have her for himself instead of being Euron's errand boy. That being said, I'm really intrigued to learn more about Euron because of where he's been, and his possible involvement in Balon's death.
    Yeah, Victarian is kind of cool, but he's a fucking moron. I hate stupid villains. Euron seems like a euro trash bond villain stick in Westeros. Plus, I think the iron born culture is just a Shit Fest. I don't think they could rule their own ass let alone conquering half of the Riverlands and building Harrenhall, as little as 300 years ago. But I'm ignorant of viking history. Maybe a nautical kleptocracy could be more than an annoyance to inland people. I mean, the mongols were a land based kleptocracy, but as John Green points out in crash course world history, they're basically the exception that proves very civilization rule in existence.
  • MihaiMihai Timisoara, RO
    May I indulge in a little off-topicity so we can all admire the great ways Victarion's name is misspelled? :))

- Hey Victorian!
    - It's Victarion.
    - Nobody cares, Victarian! Fuck you
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT
    edited April 2015
    1 Storm of Swords
    2 Game of Thrones
    3 Dance With Dragons
    4 Clash of Kings
    5 Feast For Crows

I believe Feast and Dance read better the second time. It was difficult to connect with new characters the first time through. Frustrating. Storm was a great wrap up for the first half of a story that was probably meant to be a trilogy (which just became to big). Game was I terrific. I dropped the book when Ned lost his head. "WTF?!? GRRM just killed the hero of the tale!"

• steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited April 2015
    AFFC is much better on rereads. First reads are generally for plot. Subsequent reads allow focus on detail and AFFC is so rich with info about the struggles of the common folk as a result of the highborn and their stupid wars.

Once you're not in a hurry to find out what happens next you can sit back and let Martins world open up before you and just marinate in all the care he takes developing this rich world and all its characters. I never tire of reading anything in the ASOIAF universe.
    ElisaRaiyne
  • KenzieKenzie Sanger, Tx
    I'd rank them as:

A Storm of Swords
    A Game of Thrones
    A Dance With Dragons
    A Clash of Kings
    A Feast For Crows

The first two I've read multiple times as they just never seem to get old. Both of them are books that will always be fun to read. I didn't really enjoy Dance the first time I read it but after rereading it I immensely enjoyed. I don't pick up on stuff easily (it embarrassingly took me forever to put together that the singer in Theon's storyline was Mance) so it helped when I reread it after browsing the asoiaf subreddit that I knew Manderly was up to some serious shit and that there were theories out there like the Grand Northern Conspiracy that relied heavily on Dance. I don't really like Feast as a lot of it pretains to the Greyjoy's and the Kingsmoot and I don't find those storylines interesting at all.
  • I like the show very much but I just can't imagine ever reading any of the books. My impression is that it's basically a cross between medieval Tom Clancy with pages of minutia and more Lost-esque vagina smoke monster magic stuff... and incest. Lots more incest. 

Did I hit a triple 20 or am I off the board?
    pavlovsbell
  • For me:
    Storm of Swords
    Dance with Dragons
    Clash of Kings
    Game of Thrones
    Feast for Crows

It's really hard to put this list together since I actually enjoyed Feast (even the first time) and yet I still have to put it on the bottom.
    I think it's somewhat strange that SoS is almost everyone's favorite when you consider all the bad things that happen. The Arya chapter following the Red Wedding tore me up. I put down the book for about a week after reading that and literally mourned for poor Arya after getting so close to being reunited with Rob and her mother. Of course I mourned Rob too but wasn't very sorry about Cat ;)
    Dance has to come second because I'm a Stark-ist and nothing have me more joy then when I realised what was in Lord Manderlay's pie. I'm also a Stannis supporter. I've always felt that the reader gets a very one-sided picture of who Stannis is until we get to Davos chapters and until we see him out of the grasp of Melisandre. I feel that Stannis sees Mel as a means to an end. However she does weild more power over him then he realises. Now that she is at the Wall and he is about to lay siege to Winterfell, I think Stannis will come into his own and unfortunately die liberating Winterfell. I also really enjoyed Dance for the Barriston chapters. There were many good tidbits in those chapters.
    I enjoyed the Victarian chapters. I prefer hearing about him rather then Euron who just creeps me out. Victarian is such a huge fool and I can't wait to see what horrible fate will befall him in Meereen.
    CJwriterElisa
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    edited April 2015
    In terms of the overall story, ASOS is the crazy shit. I can see why it is a fan favorite. But, I think AGOT is amazing. It is beautifully written. Many of the issues regarding flow and timeline that make the other books confusing at times don't happen in AGOT. It is paced really well and has some of the most memorable dialog. I love how balanced it is in regard to composition and how seemingly well thought out it is from beheading to beheading.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @ghm3 you are totally missing out and way off base.
    CJwriter
    Come on, he's not THAT far off base.  I don't think I would have made it through Game of Thrones had I not seen the show first.  Being thrown into a middle of a world I don't understand with dozens of characters I don't know is my kryptonite.  I can watch something like that, something like The Wire or Game of Thrones, but I can't read it.  
    ghm3
  • A Storm Of Swords was definitely the most gripping for me, I couldn't put it down.
  • Come on, he's not THAT far off base.  I don't think I would have made it through Game of Thrones had I not seen the show first.  Being thrown into a middle of a world I don't understand with dozens of characters I don't know is my kryptonite.  I can watch something like that, something like The Wire or Game of Thrones, but I can't read it.  

Agreed 100%
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    @ghm3  You're not wrong.  It's a matter of personal taste.  I read the books first and liked certain aspects of them (e.g., the buildup to the Red Wedding), but GRRM's writing style is not for me.  I think he's in dire need of an editor.  There is world building, and then there is pointless (imo) meandering and endless descriptions of food, garb, and environs.  I ended up skipping entire chapters, especially in the last two books.
    steph_bghm3
    @pavlovsbell  Same.  First time through Feast and Dragons I just read for Arya, Brienne, Jaime, Jon, and Tyrion.  Really bit me in the ass when things started to converge and I was completely lost.  Second time through was much better.  I remember as a kid being dismayed when I realized The Two Towers and Return of the King were two parallel story structures, and I was going to have to read all the way to the end before I'd find out what was going on with Frodo and Sam, and I had similar angst reading Feast and Dragons.
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited April 2015
    I can see why @ghm3 might get that impression of the books without having read them. What rubs me wrong is dumping on the books without having read them in a thread about which of the books is your favorite. Kinda trolly. But I guess us book fans are guilty of plenty trolling behavior ourselves.

Ive never read Tom Clancy so I can't attest to the accuracy of the assumption. But I do agree with @pavlovsbell that it's not the world's best writing. I do find it entertaining as hell tho and what he does well - he does really well.