SNL

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
My god, they've been on fire the past two weeks. The Rock, then an all star turn NY Michael Keaton? How did I forget how funny he was? They also had the most right in parody of Scientology I've ever seen.

Am I crazy or is the best cast since the Will Farrel glory years?

Comments

• its been a solid season with a few misses. I haven't seen the Keaton one yet but the last 2 episodes were great. Chris Hemsworth's American Express ad and Thor interview. The Rock's Bambi trailer and WWE promo skit. Excellent stuff. Definitely the best season in years. 
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I know everyone has their own cast that they consider THEIR CAST. The majority of MY cast has left in recent years (Jason Sudekis, Bill Hader, Kristin Wiig, Andy Samberg, etc) so I still consider this a rebuilding time. Considering that, they've been doing fairly well of late.
  • I've got to add the occasional SNL to my rotation. I was a big watcher in the Farrell days, and ever since I have poked my head in from time to time, but I haven't seen anything for a couple of years now. I'm glad to hear they're on an upswing. I'll give it a look.

Just a sidenote, has anyone else seen the sketch where Will Farrell played an airline pilot and John Goodman was the host and cobras overran the plane? Best SNL line ever (Will Farrell, after having been bit by a cobra): "This has become a death flight. A death flight with a choice of chicken or pasta." The sketch was so hated by everybody that it doesn't even make the re-air version of the show, but it's the best sketch ever.

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited April 2015
    @TravisI also like the really weird stuff, and man the Keaton episode this weekend was a goldmine for that.  The "Michael Keaton Easter Special", his routine with Cecily Strong about the professor that was creating a "Smart House", the opening monologue / musical "Will You Play Batman/Beetlejuice With Me Michael Keaton?"... just all surreal and brilliant.  

BTW, do you have a video or episode for that Pilot sketch?  I'd love to see it and can't find it anywhere.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

@A_Ron_Hubbard Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely watch that. I'm so glad Hulu carries SNL these days.

RE the pilot sketch: It totally sucks. It's as if the thing doesn't exist. I can tell you it's called When Cobra's Attack from the John Goodman/Paula Cole episode (Season 23, episode 12, 2/7/98), but I can't seem to find it anywhere. There is a site called sidereel that lists it in the rundown but I don't know the site and I always get hesitant. Basically, I only really remember it because a friend of mine used to tape them on VHS when it ran and we would hang out and watch them and that one blew all of our minds so much that we watched it many times over the course of a year or so.

• I watched some old episodes recently and man was Phil Hartman a legend. Forgot how awesome he was in SNL and the Simpsons. Top 3 cast member all time.
    Travismajjam0770
  • I found myself googling the cobra sketch from above today and found this thread, then in trying to see if it had landed on youtube I found this other sketch that is another one of my favorites. Super weird one with Ferrel, Chris Parnell, Molly Shannon, Tim Meadows and Rachel Dratch. 100% worth a watch. There is some fun breaking down in the middle. Also, based on the sketch we tried naming a band we had The Vondrooks. Unfortunately no one ever got it and we eventually gave in and changed the name. Anyhoo, Ferrel just crushes this one.

Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Travis said:
    I found myself googling the cobra sketch from above today and found this thread, then in trying to see if it had landed on youtube I found this other sketch that is another one of my favorites. Super weird one with Ferrel, Chris Parnell, Molly Shannon, Tim Meadows and Rachel Dratch. 100% worth a watch. There is some fun breaking down in the middle. Also, based on the sketch we tried naming a band we had The Vondrooks. Unfortunately no one ever got it and we eventually gave in and changed the name. Anyhoo, Ferrel just crushes this one.

haha that's one of my fav SNL skits! 'A Palomino?, they're beautiful! yes! they're gorgeous!'

they also had this one with Ferrel as the crazy doctor:

Travis
  • @Chinaski Hey man! How've you been doing?

That sketch was awesome. I'm surprised that I hadn't seen it before. I thought I had seen all of the ones from that era. What a wonderful surprise. I love the whole thing with him calling her Molly Shannon. That made me smile. He is so damned good at playing that character. The whole "I love Hungry Hungry Hippos. They have tournaments?!" Great sketch.
    Chinaski
  • Casual Friday Will ferrel sketch is hilarious...
    TravisChinaski
  • Hatorian said:
    Casual Friday Will ferrel sketch is hilarious...
    Was that the one with his American flag Speedo? That one was hilarious.
    Hatorian
    Travis said:
    @Chinaski Hey man! How've you been doing?

That sketch was awesome. I'm surprised that I hadn't seen it before. I thought I had seen all of the ones from that era. What a wonderful surprise. I love the whole thing with him calling her Molly Shannon. That made me smile. He is so damned good at playing that character. The whole "I love Hungry Hungry Hippos. They have tournaments?!" Great sketch.
    been good, was away for a bit.

yeah that casual American spirit day sketch was great. how bout the angry boss one? don't this it would fly nowadays

Travis
  • Glad things are good, man!

I'm bummed. I think my boss is a little too hip to me being a bit slacky lately so I can't watch right now. I watched about a minute of it before thinking better of it. Ha! I'll catch it in a bit. I think I've seen it though. I totally got a flashback to the sketch when Sarah Michelle Gellar was hosting and they did the "I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS! PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF ME!" skit. Ferrel is just so good at the gear shift, angry guy.

Is Ferrel the GOAT (isolating to just work on the show itself)? I think he is in my book, but they've had some pretty amazing cast members.
  • Travis said:
    Hatorian said:
    Casual Friday Will ferrel sketch is hilarious...
    Was that the one with his American flag Speedo? That one was hilarious.
    Yep!
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 15
    Chinaski said:
    I thought the A's just bummed you out extremely hard this time.  :grimace: lol  :)
    Good to see you back.
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    I thought the A's just bummed you out extremely hard this time.  :grimace: lol  :)
    Good to see you back.
    haha thanks! they did kinda bum me out but not to that extreme. hey they got a couple of gold glovers, the defensive player of the year and manager of the year :)
    Michelle
  • Travis said:
    Is Ferrel the GOAT (isolating to just work on the show itself)? I think he is in my book, but they've had some pretty amazing cast members.
    Granted I think this question depends on how old you are and such, but I think a lot of people might argue that Eddie Murphy is the SNL GOAT.
  • top 5. hard to choose 1. I mean someone like Tina Fey would rank higher if you consider acting/writing. but just by characters on the show...

Phil Hartman
    Will Ferrell
    Chris Farley
    Eddie Murphy
    Bill Murray

then 2nd group
    Mike Myers
    Adam Sandler
    Kate McKinnon
    Jon Belushi
    Gilda Radner