Captain Marvel, y'all

I was all in at the Blockbuster Video shot. So, so glad this isn't going to be a traditional origin story movie.

KingKobraTravisFrakkin T

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    That Blockbuster thing was awesome. Really smart.

This looks good, and I hate superhero movies.
    All the ChickensTravisrkcrawf
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Love a good origin story. But when she punched that old lady in the face, that really sold me. I'm all in.
    Travisphoenyx1023rkcrawf
  • Yup, I'll be at the theater opening night.
    Travis
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited September 18
    New poster. On the bottom left, is that... Is Ben Mendelsohn also playing her cat in this movie? He has so much range.

Frakkin TTravis
  • That was a good trailer - I feel like it didn't give away 3/4 of the plot, and got me sufficiently looking forward to the movie. Also as previously mentioned, she punched an old lady in the face. And it'll be fun to have Fury and Coulson teamed up again!

Also, it has me hyped for Avengers 4 and for her to come save the day.

Frakkin TTraviscdrive
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I'm more excited for the villains they are introducing in this film than the main character. 

Before the pitchforks and torches come out, I've just never been a Carol Danvers fan. She's had her personality/motivation/power set changed so many times in the comics in the last 15 years it would make your head spin.  

However, the Skrulls are very cool villains and give the possibilities for lots of interesting stories.  If this leads to a MCU version of the Secret Invasion story from the comics, I can deal with Carol. 

Travis
  • I just watched the trailer on mute be cause im in a waiting room and i was shitting excitement YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! :)
    edited September 18
    rhcoop said:
    I'm more excited for the villains they are introducing in this film than the main character. 

Before the pitchforks and torches come out, I've just never been a Carol Danvers fan. She's had her personality/motivation/power set changed so many times in the comics in the last 15 years it would make your head spin.  

However, the Skrulls are very cool villains and give the possibilities for lots of interesting stories.  If this leads to a MCU version of the Secret Invasion story from the comics, I can deal with Carol. 

Yeah, they leveled up her characters powers in recent years to make her "the most powerful Marvel character" for.....reasons. But each comic story is a universe in itself and the power levels are very rarely consistent throughout. 

I just hope that they don't have her blasting through Thanos like she's Superman toying with Steppenwolf. It would be kind of unbelievable and anticlimactic, especially if he still has the stones melded to his hand. Although I'm assuming there's going to be some other big bad show up in Avengers 4 as well.

As far as villains go, I like Mendelsohn playing the head Skrull and getting a look at Ronan before he goes crazy, as well as his other Kree underling who appears to be on Captain Marvels team (played by Djimon Hounsou)

rhcoop
  • I assume there is going to be some major twist by the end that explains away why we haven't seen or heard of such a powerful hero in the MCU so far. None of the "gods" or intergalactic heroes/villains have ever mentioned her.

Where was she when Xandar was being attacked by Ronan (who she knows and who is in this movie)? Where was she when Xandar was attacked and destroyed by Thanos? Where was she all this time while Thanos has been going around and exterminating half of all life on each planet, or a multitude of other major events that have affected parts of the universe she would normally be nearby in, not including the attacks on Earth. 

I really think there is going to be an answer for that here, although I don't know what. Maybe she's from a separate timeline, and Fury's special beeper can communicate with her through alternate dimensions? 
  • I assume there is going to be some major twist by the end that explains away why we haven't seen or heard of such a powerful hero in the MCU so far. None of the "gods" or intergalactic heroes/villains have ever mentioned her.

Where was she when Xandar was being attacked by Ronan (who she knows and who is in this movie)? Where was she when Xandar was attacked and destroyed by Thanos? Where was she all this time while Thanos has been going around and exterminating half of all life on each planet, or a multitude of other major events that have affected parts of the universe she would normally be nearby in, not including the attacks on Earth. 

I really think there is going to be an answer for that here, although I don't know what. Maybe she's from a separate timeline, and Fury's special beeper can communicate with her through alternate dimensions? 

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the movie does to explain her absence.  Perhaps it's along the lines of Captain America being frozen/asleep for like 50-60 years and waking up in the future.

Yea my first guess after seeing the Infinity War post-credits scene is that it had to do with inter-dimensional shenanigans. Perhaps the MCU timeline that we are are familiar with to this point diverged from something that happens in Captain Marvel and she was marooned in an alternative timeline/dimension. That would also explain why a Skrull invasion hasn't been mentioned in the MCU at all (unless it's truly a "secret invasion" in the movie and the general public never knows about it).

Also if inter-dimensional mechanics are introduced in Captain Marvel it could also lead directly to a way for the Avengers to reverse the death of all the people that Thanos snapped away.
  • rhcoop said:

Yeah, they leveled up her characters powers in recent years to make her "the most powerful Marvel character" for.....reasons. But each comic story is a universe in itself and the power levels are very rarely consistent throughout. 

I just hope that they don't have her blasting through Thanos like she's Superman toying with Steppenwolf. It would be kind of unbelievable and anticlimactic, especially if he still has the stones melded to his hand. Although I'm assuming there's going to be some other big bad show up in Avengers 4 as well.

As far as villains go, I like Mendelsohn playing the head Skrull and getting a look at Ronan before he goes crazy, as well as his other Kree underling who appears to be on Captain Marvels team (played by Djimon Hounsou)

I'm kind of hoping that Thanos teams up with the Avengers in some fashion in A4 to fight against some other big bad like they did in the Infinity War comic (I doubt they'll be introducing Magus though since they had Adam Warlock show up). With the Fox-Disney merger they technically could bring in Galactus...
    Murderbear
    edited September 18
    MrX said:
    rhcoop said:

I'm kind of hoping that Thanos teams up with the Avengers in some fashion in A4 to fight against some other big bad like they did in the Infinity War comic (I doubt they'll be introducing Magus though since they had Adam Warlock show up). With the Fox-Disney merger they technically could bring in Galactus...
    I'm not going to be shocked at all if Thanos does something to sacrifice himself to defeat some other threat and/or help reverse what he's done. They haven't characterized him in the MCU as someone who cares about his own life anymore or being the all powerful ruler.

It would be cool to get Hela back as the main villain to satisfy some of the Lady Death subplot from the comics, although in a different capacity. Her and Captain Marvel fighting eachother would be quite the show.

The problem is that they filmed everything and no casting or set information about a big character like that was leaked. Other set photo spoilers appear to be leaked, but nothing about a new main villain. Of course most of this s CGI and mocap, which doesn't need a big actor on set or in the streets.filming.
    MrX said:
    rhcoop said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that, I can't imagine they would waste Galactus on the next movie.  That will be saved for the FF franchise they will start up soon IMO.   

If this was the comics, another worse villain would make total sense, but I think it would be too much to bring in another big bad into the movie universe after building Thanos up since the first Avengers movie. I think it would be too hard for the general movie going audience to roll with it.

I hope they have a good explanation why she isn't around and nobody has ever heard of her if she's so dang powerful. 

Just the set up for her in Infinity War just didn't make sense. If Fury can get in touch with her whenever, why on earth would he wait until the last possible second when all this bad stuff was happening?  

Seems very forced from a storytelling perspective to me.  
  • rhcoop said:
    MrX said:
    rhcoop said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that, I can't imagine they would waste Galactus on the next movie.  That will be saved for the FF franchise they will start up soon IMO.   

If this was the comics, another worse villain would make total sense, but I think it would be too much to bring in another big bad into the movie universe after building Thanos up since the first Avengers movie. I think it would be too hard for the general movie going audience to roll with it.

I hope they have a good explanation why she isn't around and nobody has ever heard of her if she's so dang powerful. 

Just the set up for her in Infinity War just didn't make sense. If Fury can get in touch with her whenever, why on earth would he wait until the last possible second when all this bad stuff was happening?  

Seems very forced from a storytelling perspective to me.  
    In this regard, how much time had passed between the start of Infinity War and the end of Infinity War?  Clearly SHIELD was broken up and it didn't seem like anybody was really talking with Nick Fury so maybe he didn't know the extent of the threat.  I have absolutely zero comic knowledge and might be completely proven wrong with this but to me it doesn't seem like it's been long ordeal other than Thanos has had to travel to multiple places across the galaxy to get the different stones.  How fast do his ships travel?  Did Infinity War take place over a few days, a few weeks, a month???
    rhcoop said:

In this regard, how much time had passed between the start of Infinity War and the end of Infinity War?  Clearly SHIELD was broken up and it didn't seem like anybody was really talking with Nick Fury so maybe he didn't know the extent of the threat.  I have absolutely zero comic knowledge and might be completely proven wrong with this but to me it doesn't seem like it's been long ordeal other than Thanos has had to travel to multiple places across the galaxy to get the different stones.  How fast do his ships travel?  Did Infinity War take place over a few days, a few weeks, a month???
    I'd think Nick Fury is smart enough to see the news on TV or just look up and think "Well damn, looks like the world is coming to an end, I better get in touch with this super powerful hero I know so they can help."

Don't forget he's supposed to be a super spy, he'd know what was going on as soon or before the heroes did. 

I'm just saying it doesn't make sense for him to wait until he's literally disappearing before pushing that button. 
  • Pretty sure the text message scene in the trailer is supposed to mirror the text he sends in Avengers. 
    darwinfeeshy
    edited September 19
    Hatorian said:
    Pretty sure the text message scene in the trailer is supposed to mirror the text he sends in Avengers. 
    I don't remember him using a special device to communicate with the the Avengers. Agent Coulson went to Stark Tower to grab Tony. Nick Fury physically went to Cap to get him to help while Cap was beating the shit out of a punching bag in his gym. Black Widow, under the direction of her boss Nick Fury, went and recruited Banner/The Hulk in whatever 3rd world country he was hiding in. Hawkeye was turned into a bad guy in the opening scene. Thor came to Earth on his own because he was looking for Loki. 

I don't know that the device at the end of the Infinity War is an interdimensional comm device, but it's definitely supposed to be some special old school intergalactic beeper tech (because of the 90's motif) that sends a message directly to her wherever she is in the Universe. 
    rhcoop
  • @letrbuck2006 I assumed Infinity War lasted maybe about a week.

@rhcoop Maybe Fury knew that there was an incident in NY but as soon as Thanos' henchmen left, probably didn't know the full extent of the catastrophic threat to feel he needed to involve Captain Marvel. For example I'm sure he didn't know what was going to happen in Wakanda or that Thanos could simply fuck the universe with a finger snap. In fact it seemed like the Avengers only shared the information to each other but not publically. 
  • Hatorian said:
    Pretty sure the text message scene in the trailer is supposed to mirror the text he sends in Avengers. 
    I don't remember him using a special device to communicate with the the Avengers. Agent Coulson went to Stark Tower to grab Tony. Nick Fury physically went to Cap to get him to help while Cap was beating the shit out of a punching bag in his gym. Black Widow, under the direction of her boss Nick Fury, went and recruited Banner/The Hulk in whatever 3rd world country he was hiding in. Hawkeye was turned into a bad guy in the opening scene. Thor came to Earth on his own because he was looking for Loki. 

I don't know that the device at the end of the Infinity War is an interdimensional comm device, but it's definitely supposed to be some special old school intergalactic beeper tech (because of the 90's motif) that sends a message directly to her wherever she is in the Universe. 
    At the end of infinity war nick fury is sending a message to someone on a device before he disappears. 
  • Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:

At the end of infinity war nick fury is sending a message to someone on a device before he disappears. 
    Oh, yeah, we're on the same page. That's what I was referencing. I thought you meant that the scene was a call back to the original Avengers movie and Fury sending them a message in a similar fashion.
    Hatorian
    @letrbuck2006 I assumed Infinity War lasted maybe about a week.

@rhcoop Maybe Fury knew that there was an incident in NY but as soon as Thanos' henchmen left, probably didn't know the full extent of the catastrophic threat to feel he needed to involve Captain Marvel. For example I'm sure he didn't know what was going to happen in Wakanda or that Thanos could simply fuck the universe with a finger snap. In fact it seemed like the Avengers only shared the information to each other but not publically. 
    The conceit of his character in the MCU and the comics is that he always knows what is going on, almost ahead or at the same time as it is happening.  It's like Batman levels of knowing things. 

That's why I think its silly he was holding her in reserve for "reasons". 

if I had Jimmy Olson's Superman signal watch, I think I'd push the button as soon as I knew shit was going down. 
  • rhcoop said:

The conceit of his character in the MCU and the comics is that he always knows what is going on, almost ahead or at the same time as it is happening.  It's like Batman levels of knowing things. 

if I had Jimmy Olson's Superman signal watch, I think I'd push the button as soon as I knew shit was going down. 
    I don't think that is the conceit in the MCU. He has, or at least had at the height of the SHIELD, an insane amount of intelligence of what was happening on Earth because of how they are connected with the worlds intelligence community and their tech. But that is all information after the fact through investigation. He's not magic.

They knew about the Asgardians because Thor landed on Earth. They weren't shocked by the idea of aliens when Thor showed up on Earth because they had already encountered the Skrulls in the 90's, as well as Captain Marvel.

Nick Fury doesn't know who or what has landed in New York, because how could he? There's no tech or intelligence community who could discover that information for him within hours of the invasion (we're meant to think that the space New York spaceship fight is happening at the same exact time as the fight with Captain America and Vision in Europe).
    The only way he could find that out is if Tony or Cap tells him, and they go off the grid pretty quickly.

Also, since he didn't contact her during the first invasion of New York with Loki, it's apparent that whatever understanding they have is something where he can/should only contact her with the most dire of need when there is no one left to help or it's out of their league to handle. That's either because she isn't just off on some other planet and can easily travel to Earth, or some other reason that I'm sure we will find out at the end of Captain Marvel.
  • edited September 19
    rhcoop said:

I think my biggest reason for being OK with Nick Fury not having the knowledge of what's going on during Infinity War is because he was always a part of SHIELD and got the knowledge through them, or at least that's what I assumed.  They were always the all knowing, unlimited budget so on and so forth but SHIELD clearly got broken up and we really don't know what exactly Fury has been doing in the meantime. 

There is no right or wrong answer here and it might be addressed in Captain Marvel or possibly Avengers 4 but for me personally I won't think negative on it if they don't address it.