802 - The Morning After

Director: Jennifer Lynch
Writer: James Wong

Unfortunately, we won't be able to release an Instant Take for #ahs tonight, because our cable is fooked! AHHH! We'll get it out ASAP, likely tomorrow evening. Feedback will be Friday as planned! Sorry!
cdriveMichelleKingKobraElisa

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oh shit yeah that’s tonight! 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm ready for some craziness to start setting in, now that the first episode is out of the way and the table's been set.  Bring on the coven, bring on the antichrist-end of the world-demons vs. witches awesomeness.  Also, my favorite character this season, one miss Coco St. Pierre Vanderbilt (Joan Collins is running a close 2nd)!  She's so over the top ridiculous that I'm loving it.  "With all the thought that went into this place they don’t have a single bag of Pirate’s Booty in the pantry?!?!??"  :lol:
    TaraC73
  • If you haven't seen it - find the 1980s ABC TV movie, The Morning After.   Very good for its time.
    TaraC73
    "Cooperating".  Who was the brain child behind that one?  lol
    KingKobraElisaalina_macTaraC73
  • Michelle said:
    Well everyone needs to be cooperating with the cooperative. That cheesy line was intentionally eye rolling I think. Something that made me really iffy is that they introduced Bates as an Android?!? 
    MichelleElisa
    My Uber driver was right! Singularity.  AI is going to be the virus that pushes the button, man. Bates is a fucking robot.  
    KingKobraElisa
    edited September 20
    KingKobra said:
    Michelle said:
    Well everyone needs to be cooperating with the cooperative. That cheesy line was intentionally eye rolling I think. Something that made me really iffy is that they introduced Bates as an Android?!? 
    Yeah!  I was like, wtf???????  So I wonder if Venable is as well - maybe that's why they're neither grays nor purples.  Maybe they're droids who long to take over, ala Westworld (I'm not serious with that, but ya know).

I gotta say though - robots are one thing I did NOT want in this season. 
    KingKobraTaraC73
    RIP Granny Evie!  :cry:
    cdriveTaraC73
    edited September 20
    Michelle said:
    RIP Granny Evie!  :cry:
    To be honest though, her outro song was fucking savage. She let her grandson have it. Pouring some burnt champagne tonight. 
    MichelleKingKobraElisa
  • Jamie91Jamie91 Pennsylvania
    edited September 20
    Tonight, I express myself with the use of colons:

The Preferred Title of the Episode Should Be: Fuckception.

Fact: Ryan Murphy is an out gay man.
    Fact: Ryan Murphy was raised Roman Catholic

Murphy's Attempt at an Allegory: The two teenagers are an Apocalypse-style Adam and Eve. (Come on, notice how Emily  has to convince TImothy to bone. She wants to leave the bunker and leave Outpost 3/ The Garden of Eden. She's curious and she's constantly provoking him to explore, be curious, etc.

Prediction:  Michael Langdon/ The Devil is going to force her (Emily) to give in to a temptation that damns Timothy (as Adam).

Reproductive Prediction: Emily just got knocked up. You KNOW we're obligated to have another pregnancy.

Genuine Question for All Straight People : If you didn't know Ryan Murphy wrote this ,would you smell homophobia from tonight's episode? 

Rubber Man Observation: He has only ever appeared to people who are attracted to men i. e. Vivien, Chad and Patrick (the gay couple from Season 1) and now Mr. Gallant.

Overall Thoughts: I liked it a whole lot ,and I'm totally onboard. But my God, this episode was a Fuckception.

Elisaalina_macTaraC73
  • Am I the only one who thinks this was a steamy pile of shit? The pilot was ok, this was just awful. I didn’t find one thing I liked about this episode. 
    tom_galina_mac
  • did not see androids coming

How long till the weekly Westworld 'everyone is a robot' speculation?
    In a show that tends occasionally to fly off the rails in spectacular fashion this certainly can't help.

Next week's guest star is Anthony Hopkins as the head of the Cooperative.

alina_mac
  • edited September 21
    I thoroughly enjoyed the subtle and not so subtle animosity between Evie and Mr. Gallant during the snake dinner scene. Evan Peters burying his face in his hands when Evie describes eating chilled snake soup at a fancy dinner in Kuala Lumpur made me laugh out loud. 

When Langdon first shows the bottle of suicide pills, I thought that the container was obnoxiously large for the amount of pills inside. Wouldn’t it make more sense that at one point the vial was full of these pills? What if we learn that Langdon/The Cooperative used them to murder the residents of the other outposts? I hope it wasn’t just a random choice by the prop department to include because Cody Fern looked like he was using a lot of finger strength to stretch-hold this bottle between thumb and forefinger. 

The hairdos of the grays are RIDICULOUS. They look like little dildos on top of their heads. For an establishment firmly against copulation, you’d think they’d avoid using such overt phallic hairstyles. Or...did Mr. Gallant design their updos?? That would make a little more sense. 

Michael Langdon character design: Totally agree with Cecily on her Interview with a Vampire comment. He straight up looks like Tom Cruise’s Lestat with a Connie Britton wig.
    alina_mac
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited September 21
    I'm not going to be surprised at all to find out that there is no "Cooperative." It's just Michael Langdon/AntiChrist/ The Beast/The Dragon. Langdon setup each of these survivor bunkers and destroyed the world, and he has been going to each of them just to do the same thing he is doing at Outpost 3 and creating chaos. There probably is no Sanctuary/Eden. It's just a fictional objective to give these people so that he can turn them against each other. 

To what end? No idea. The antichrist wants to reign over hell on earth, not immediately kill every living human.
    MichelleElisa
  • If that was Tate Langdon in the rubber man suit, as it has been in the past, did Evan Peters just fuck himself? Oh, Ryan Murphy, you rascal you.
    alina_macElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 21
    If that was Tate Langdon in the rubber man suit, as it has been in the past, did Evan Peters just fuck himself? Oh, Ryan Murphy, you rascal you.
    If it was Tate then Hell has one “hell” of a gym. Guess it’s not too surprising for there to be a lot of personal Trainers in hell considering pride is a deadly sin and my Facebook is full of people posting at the gym . Black suit dude was fucking ripped. 
    alina_mac
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited September 21
    Hatorian said:
    If that was Tate Langdon in the rubber man suit, as it has been in the past, did Evan Peters just fuck himself? Oh, Ryan Murphy, you rascal you.
    If it was Tate then Hell has one “hell” of a gym. Guess it’s not too surprising for there to be a lot of personal Trainers in hell considering pride is a deadly sin and my Facebook is full of people posting at the gym . Black suit dude was fucking ripped. 
    Tate was just a ghost. His hell was living in that stupid house for eternity. I did notice that the rubberman was more jacked than Evan Peters, but I remembered he looked like that in Season 1 too and it was Tate.

Of course this version of Rubberman could just be some demon following Michael around.
  • Hatorian said:
    Tate was just a ghost. His hell was living in that stupid house for eternity. I did notice that the rubberman was more jacked than Evan Peters, but I remembered he looked like that in Season 1 too and it was Tate.

Of course this version of Rubberman could just be some demon following Michael around.
    In suit, Rubber Man is played by the same actor who did it in season one. We won’t know RM reveal until it actually happens. 
  • KingKobra said:
    Hatorian said:

In suit, Rubber Man is played by the same actor who did it in season one. We won’t know RM reveal until it actually happens. 
    Yeah, that 's what I was thinking. The body looks about the same as season 1, and it didn't seem to matter that the body didn't match up with Tate's/Evan Peters body despite it being him. Ryan Murphy's not sweating those particulars, plus there could be some supernatural thing where when Tate's body morphs when he becomes the Rubber Man alter ego.

I can't recall exactly, but didn't he morph into some monster in season 1 when he was scaring the shit out of Violets friend in the basement?
    KingKobra
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    I know there were deaths and surprising reveals this episode, but I think I was kind of ... bored? I defended the season premiere on a Facebook last week because I had high hopes for such an ambitious concept. “ARMAGEDDON!” “APOCALYPSE!” But this episode was like Ryan Murphy saying, “No, seriously, you’re spending the entire season in THIS bunker with THESE characters and that’s all there is.” 
    ElisaHatorian
  • I too am not feeling this  claustrophobic bunker vibe so far, but I feel like there's going to be some bizarre Ryan Murphy turn soon. I just can't see them staying in that bunker with things the way they are for long, just from a storytelling standpoint.

I think they are about to launch into crazy town. They did release a scene photo of Jessica Lange this week, and she's definitely not in the outpost bunker. I'm hoping it's not just a flashback from Michael Langdon's POV.
    Elisaalina_mac
    edited September 22
    @A_Ron_Hubbard, I'm going to get us back to 7 (seals) or 4 (horsemen) here.
    @cdrive said in the thread for episode 1:
    "Also there were a total of 10 outposts.  The 2 kids were told this by the male cooperation agent in the tank when they were being driven to the outpost."
    Okay so even if we started with 10, 3 have been overrun.  That leaves 7.  Langdon says that three more won't last through the year.  That leaves 4.  Surely the last 3 will be overrun before our outpost is, so that would mean that of those remaining 4, our outpost would be the 4th breached/'seal broken'.  Bring on the apocalypse and Death on the Pale Horse (the artwork that is in the vignette in the opening sequence).  Taste it, @cdrive!  lol

I refuse to give up on this theory!  I'll die on this hill, just as @Cecily will die on hers trying to make Asylum happen.

Also, I've been thinking about something else.  How did Coco's father (who was in Hong Kong at the time)  know that Los Angeles would be hit by the nuclear blast within an hour (his words while he was Facetiming with her).  He also had time to arrange a private jet to take her *somewhere*.  How did he know when LA would be hit, and where was he intending the plane to take them?  Was the plane programmed to arrive at the outpost the entire time?  Aside from this, there is also some talk from Venable (I think, or maybe Langdon) about the Cooperative's benefactor(s).  There are people who are funding this whole operation.  Coco's father was a billionaire.  Is it possible he was one of the benefactors, and that's how he knew when LA would be hit and it's also why he got ahold of Coco to tell her to get to the private jet?  He said he had reserved 4 spots, but that he, his wife, and their son (Coco's brother) couldn't make it.  I think he planned to 'miss' the plane all along, maybe out of guilt for aiding the funding of the eradication of most of the world's population?  If he did truly intend to make the plane, he still would have been a major player in this worldwide disaster.
  • I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations about how much storage space these people would need for the candles they must be getting through. My very conservative estimate is around 33 cubic meters for a 2-year supply. But realistically, they must literally have a skyscraper filled with candles underneath this base. That must be why they're eating the little gelatin cubes. Gotta make space for the candle skyscraper.
    Michelle