Telltale has massive layoffs

looks like Telltale May be shutting down or massively pulling back it’s releases:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/17888162/telltale-games-layoffs-the-walking-dead

Sad we wont get GoT season 2. 

telephoneofmadnessdarwinfeeshyMelonusk

Comments

• I blame it on them not having released another Game of Thrones Telltale like they said they would.
    KingKobraDoubleA_RonFreddy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I mentioned it in the "What are you playing thread." It is really too bad. They had a bunch of layoffs back in November as well. It, unsurprisingly, seems like a pretty huge issue with management. I think we could have predicted that this was a possibility. They bit off SO many properties. For a while we just saw them focusing on The Walking Dead. But they ramped up super quick after they got accolades for The Walking Dead. Just from memory they like 5 seasons of The Walking Dead (including Michonne and others), Guardians of the Galaxy, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Borderlands, they were planning to do Spider-Man, two seasons of Batman, The Wolf Among Us (Fables), Minecraft, and Game of Thrones. So it looks like S2 of GoT, S2 of The Wolf Among Us, and Stranger Things will never happen. Bummer all around. 
  • That article links to another article that gives more details about the company's problems:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

Sources say the culture of the studio never properly adapted from its indie mentality to one more appropriate for its larger size. Tribal knowledge persisted over clearly documented processes, and a lack of communication among employees bred confusion. “Very rarely people were writing things down on a wiki or a confluence page or any sort of documentation,” says a former employee. “People were shifting so often that you would hear a version of a story that was actually weeks old, and the person telling you has no idea because that’s the last thing they heard.”
    I've seen this. People form little cliques and freeze out the other employees, to try to make themselves unexpendable. Apparently when 300 people are doing this it collapses your company.

Giovanni
    edited September 22
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

New reports are claiming the team that is remaining employed are doing so to finish the Minecraft series for Netflix. The last season of The Walking Dead will essentially be unfinished with only one or two episodes being released. 

I pre-ordered the season pass months ago. Garth will remember that decision. 
    KingKobraMelonuskFlukes
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I can't help myself. I do it all the time. It has never really bitten me like this though. Outside of having a pile of games that I don't know when I will get to. You are right though...
  • some of those guys in the article are the guys who do (or used to do, really) the idle thumbs podcast and founded/work at firewatch developer campo santo: sean vanaman and jake rodkin (along with chris remo, nick breckon and others).  they got bought by valve earlier this year.  for once i have my finger on the pulse of gaming news!

they're pretty great guys by the way, imo.  they're also the ones who filed a dmca takedown for one of their games on pewdiepie after one of his idiot racist outbursts.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    It's brutal for everyone who lost their job.

I genuinely enjoyed pretty much they put out, but I think what ultimately did them in was their decision to never pivot away from the episodic release schedule. More often than not, there was a weak episode or two somewhere in the middle, which were fine as part of the larger story, but really soured the season when that was the one piece of content you got for two months. Imagine if we had waited a month to see this weeks episode of Better Call Saul and had to wait another month before the next one. I stopped buying Telltale games before they were done because of that and as a result, never paid more than 50% of what they charged before the game was done. I know a lot of people just stopped buying them altogether for that reason.

I do think Telltale had some of the best writers in the entire industry and hopefully, they're not looking for work long.
  • edited September 22
    Looks like they got no severance, no nothing. Brutal.

Yup, spread too thin. TWD the new frontier I did not enjoy, and did not finish. With that being said, kinda tragic that nobody will finish "the final season"

Wonder if Jason will be able to interview Melissa about this.

• Man, this really caught me by surprise. I thought TellTale was solid as a rock, their shitty engine aside.

The Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2, as well as The Wolf Among Us, are landmark titles in video game history. This is not ignoring the fact that Telltale released a lot of garbage, but they still put out some great games. I personally enjoyed the Tales From the Borderlands series, as well.

RIP TellTale, but their storytelling spirit will not be lost. Firewatch and Oxenfree, two great games made by TellTale alumni, have received critical & commercial success. I hope the same will be true for the rest of the staff that has recently been laid off, but my faith in capitalism isn't that strong.

Best of wishes to all those affected by these recent events. #GameDevsShouldUnionizeASAP

• Pewds actually has a pretty spot in take in this here

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I know it's a shock for these people, but their futures are bright.  They have experience.  This is how you fail upward.

This is the perfect economy to get laid off in.  You can get re-hired with a 20% raise and/or move to a more steady industry.  The real nightmare is getting laid off during a recession when there are simply no jobs available.
    hitmyFreddyDoubleA_Ron
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    This is also a bummer because they had been talking about working on a new game engine. Some of their animations and movements were really bad. It was starting to feel a little stale and samey.
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Telltale finally went off the rails.
    DoubleA_Ronkevinriles
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 23
    Can we not rally the troops and buy Telltale? Fan owned, Bald Move managed?
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    THIS needs to be the Bald Move video game! I want my Bad Guy Jim and Bad Guy A.Ron playthroughs!
    Freddy
  • edited September 23
    I'm pouring one out for Telltale by playing through The Wolf Among Us again.

I love their craft. Also, I know it's bad to speak ill of the dead but damn, their engine really sucked. The stuttering is ridiculous.
    Murderbear
  • I loved Wolf Among Us and the Game of Thrones game. I loved that they took a small but noble house and let us explore the world. 

I really wanted to see what happened to the Forresters. 
    DoubleA_Ron
  • God dammit I’m always a day late and a dollar short on these threads
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    looks like the remaining folks are now gone as well..

What a fucking mess. This Telltale thing is heartbreaking. 
  • Man I really really liked the first two seasons of TT's TWD. I'd be interested to know how this past season started out seeming. Did the guys do a play through yet?

Anyway one of the animators/programmers posted this awesome thing on Twitter (not sure if the link will work) and seems to have a few other goof off things he made while working there in this thread.

KingKobra
  • I know that Kirkman gets a lot of shit for a lot of good reason around here (I maybe think he deserves slightly less, but only SLIGHTLY). In any event I tip my hat to him here

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/07/telltale-the-walking-dead-picked-up-by-kirkman-studio/