4.08 Coushatta

13»

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    tom_g said:
    Why didn't Mike take the Germans out of town for R&R if there was such concern for loose lips sinking Superlabs and Germans being obvious? 
    One does not date two people at the same time that are closer than 75 miles from each other.  Sometimes distance is a good thing.
    Better yet, why not rent out a cabin(s) in the woods and ship in strippers/call girls. Emphasis on the call girls. Sending a bunch of testosterone driven young men who haven't had contact with women in months to a look, but no touch strip club just sounds like a disaster on paper. I'm surprised it went as well as it did.
    tom_gDoctor_Nick
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited September 2018
    Except there is no way the ABQ DA is going to go to any of that trouble for a minor crime.  They are barely willing to go through that for a murder.
    Agree if it's just about Huell, but it's reasonable that the DA might make this a personal mission.  I doubt they'll do DNA analysis, but she has all the letters in her possession and all she has to do is a little bit of legwork. Check the website. Check the county records for structural fires in a church. Call the phone numbers in a week or two.

There's a lot of paper leading back to Wexler and McGill. It's not like the DA has to go hunting for suspects.

She knows Huell was defending a burner phone salesman. She'll be able to quickly discover that the numbers she's been calling are burner phones. That right there gets her on to Jimmy.
    edited September 2018
    Okay, general commentary:

Agree that this episode was an odd turn and the characters are in a place that feels unearned. That's the bad, but it bends without breaking for me because the characters are in a place that has a lot of potential. I like Slippin' Kimmie Breaks Bad as a concept. They just haven't set it up as well as they should have. Had they, however, I'd be happy with where we are.

The "audience guesses your secret plan but dismisses it as too dumb" is not unprecedented in the Badverse. Huell even played a part last time: the poisoning of Brock. We all figured out Walter's manipulation of Jesse, but dismissed it as silly because there's no way Huell could have gotten those cigarettes. 

Again, in that case, the actual story place wasn't a bad one: Walter manipulating Jesse into betraying Gus. It just felt like the actual plotting didn't land as it should. 

And now the bag of fraudulent letters (and list of burner phone numbers, and server logs of the fraudulent website, and CCTV photos of Jimmy mailing letters in Louisiana, and...) are the Walt Whitman Poetry Book of Better Call Saul. There may be twists and turns coming, but right now we have a slow burn as the DA figures out the scam. Maybe it'll wrap up next week (I hope so) or maybe it'll drag into the middle of next year.

On Breaking Bad, we knew the plot was going to unravel once Hank was on to Walt. That was the big character payoff for Hank. The two men could not coexist with mutual knowledge of each other. They dragged that out for years...paralyzed Hank...gave him a hobby...made his partner the #WorstCopInNewMexico .. all to delay the inevitable. 

On Better Call Saul, we know that the closer we get to Full Saul(tm), the sooner Kim meets her fate. As Breaking Bad wraps up with Hank, Better Call Saul wraps up with Kim.

And so now we know that there is physical evidence linking Kim to mail fraud. And whatever scams are coming that she wants to "do again" will just provide more opportunities.

Doctor_Nick
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited September 2018
    Could BCS end with a flash forward of Elwood - Gene, picking up 'Joliet' Jake - Kim after a stint in federal prison, stemming from this scheme?
    Hatorian
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited September 2018
    I'm so glad someone mentioned the yellow makeup. BCS is not the only show that does this. Bosch on Amazon does it fairly often - there was an older coroner whose makeup was particularly bad. They also like to go for those warmer tones on Bosch, so I think ARon may be on to something with the color filter. I bet whatever they use for foundation or general coverage suffers under those filters. So the more of that is needed, the worse it looks. They're trying to age Odenkirk down by about 15-20 years, so it stands to reason he'd stand out. 

There are other shows with the same issue, but I can't think of them off hand.

Edit - found this on reddit about 13 Reasons Why

https://www.reddit.com/r/13ReasonsWhy/comments/62tji1/everyone_looks_so_yellow_bad_makeup/
  • I get mad whenever they end the insider cast with some one doing their  best "Better Call Saul!!"

Noone can crush the delivery.....even bob barely gets it, and they always clap like the person nailed....

I almost feel like it they have a joke to never get it perfect....Ide crush it

• bennytube said:
    Okay, just finished the full podcast 30 minutes ago, and I've already forgotten the German word for the 2nd hand cringe inducing discomfort feeling.  I probably need to see it spelled out anyway.  Please help!

(LOL on looking for the German word for encountering the same new word twice in 24 hours)
    Just google German for douche chills.
  • bennytube said:
    Okay, just finished the full podcast 30 minutes ago, and I've already forgotten the German word for the 2nd hand cringe inducing discomfort feeling.  I probably need to see it spelled out anyway.  Please help!

(LOL on looking for the German word for encountering the same new word twice in 24 hours)
    Just google German for douche chills.
    Ha, my Google thought that was French. Good to know though.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fremdschämen
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Brett68 said:
    I get mad whenever they end the insider cast with some one doing their  best "Better Call Saul!!"

Noone can crush the delivery.....even bob barely gets it, and they always clap like the person nailed....

The more I listen to that podcast the more insufferable it gets. I've been listening since the Breaking Bad days, but it is just obnoxious. That ending is pretty obnoxious too, you always hear Villigan say "That was a good one" and I shudder. 
    tom_g said:
    Could BCS end with a flash forward of Elwood - Gene, picking up 'Joliet' Jake - Kim after a stint in federal prison, stemming from this scheme?
    #SheCaughtTheKimmie #LeftMeAMuleToRide
  • edited September 2018
    Listened to the podcast today.  I think ARon and Jim need a break.  Can we go one week without hearing about how “indulgent” the montages are? Jim said they should have cut out the guy asking for a seat on the bus.  I timed it, that was a 21-second scene! Maybe they have too many shows to watch and cast on these days, so they want a cliff notes version of the show?
  • Anyone else wonder if Vince Gilligan is actually some sort of passive aggressive douchebag, even though he sounds like a cool dude on the podcast?

Brett68 said:
    I get mad whenever they end the insider cast with some one doing their  best "Better Call Saul!!"

The more I listen to that podcast the more insufferable it gets. I've been listening since the Breaking Bad days, but it is just obnoxious. That ending is pretty obnoxious too, you always hear Villigan say "That was a good one" and I shudder. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I did the 10 second skip skip skip through most of the bus montage. It seemed to go on forever. I’m not as down on this season as Jim and Aron seem to be, but I agree with a lot of their criticisms. 

I did love the “Something Stupid” montage last week, though. (Am I the only one who thought that was Eartha Kitt, btw?) 
    Kela15
  • In the podcast, the guys said it would have been better/more interesting to see Jimmy and Kim stage a protest in order to keep Heull out of jail.

I'm not American, so I am not 100% in tune with your current political climate.... but wouldn't it be rather insensitive to portray a social/racial injustice protest as a Slipping Jimmy scam?

• Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    I'm with Jim and A.Ron. I cannot seem to get Slippin' Kimmy. This development in her character strikes me as odd. I thought her boredom and uneasiness with the Mesa Verde work was down to her guilty conscience: what she and Jimmy did to Chuck which eventually lead to his suicide. Now it seems to be some existential crisis that can only be addressed by breaking bad. So, that's what attracted her to Jimmy after all? The fact that he was (is) a con artist? Hmmmmm......
    Dee
  • I suspect that J & A's lack of enthusiasm for this episode comes from the inevitable self consciousness of respected podcasters being wrong footed. Back in the day they would have revelled in the sidesteps. I really enjoyed this episode.
    In the podcast, the guys said it would have been better/more interesting to see Jimmy and Kim stage a protest in order to keep Heull out of jail.

I'm not American, so I am not 100% in tune with your current political climate.... but wouldn't it be rather insensitive to portray a social/racial injustice protest as a Slipping Jimmy scam?

That ship kind of sailed with Reverend Foghorn "Who Dis?" Leghorn.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 2018
    At least I think you can plausibly argue Odenkirk was doing a white southern accent....
    (Though if we're being honest, the odds of Huel Babineux's people attending an integrated church in East Derpistan, Louisiana seem small.)
    In the podcast, the guys said it would have been better/more interesting to see Jimmy and Kim stage a protest in order to keep Heull out of jail.

That ship kind of sailed with Reverend Foghorn "Who Dis?" Leghorn.

•             If you are looking for intelligent, deep-dive discussion and analysis about Better Call Saul, look elsewhere. Bald Move’s Jim and Aron do Better Call Saul (BCS) a disservice with every episode of their podcast. Not only do their analyses completely miss the mark, often laughably, the hosts spend most of each episode complaining about the show in general. Obviously, it is fine to dislike the show, but why would anyone put out 2 hours worth of content every week devoted to discussing a show that they don’t like? Furthermore, why would any fan of the show want to listen to a 1½ hour podcast dissing a show that they love?

Why Better Cast Saul is bad (for brevity I will focus only on a recent Instant Talk about Coushatta – however every episode Better Cast Saul is teeming with these types of problems)

BCS is a master-class in subtle, character driven drama, as any fan knows. It revels in the small moments. Jim and Aron not only do not like this type of storytelling, they straight up don’t get it. One example of this was their utter shock at Kim’s heel-turn in Coushatta. In the Instant Talk episode for Coushatta, Jim and Aron complain that this move was unearned by the writers. According to the hosts, “This stuff is wildly out of character for Kim” and “They’re kind of fucking up the character.” They have managed not to pick up on any of the signals laid out in the previous 3 seasons that Kim’s attraction to Saul was rooted in her attraction to risk and danger. Mind you these hints are subtle, but are clearly there, as evidenced by her enjoyment of being Giselle in the season 2 opener and by her attraction to Jimmy in general. It is certainly surprising to see her begin to embrace her bad side in Coushatta so wholeheartedly, but it is far from unearned. Every episode of Better Cast Saul I’ve heard includes lots of discussions that grossly misunderstand and misinterpret the Kim character.

The hosts also discuss their dismay that Werner, rather than Kai, turned out to be the weak link on the underground lab team. Seriously? Guys, when an episode or series doesn’t go in a direction that you expected, it doesn’t mean that it’s bad or poorly written. In fact, in the case of BCS, it’s quite the opposite. God forbid the writers do something unexpected. If you want predictable series that telegraph all their moves, watch and podcast about something else.

Also in the Instant Talk one host says of Lalo, “Who are you? Why are you here? And why should I care?” Okay, if you don’t know who Lalo is and why he is important, I’m not surprised you don’t like or understand the show. And again, this would be fine if you didn’t purport to be BCS experts with valuable insight - by making a long, analysis-based podcast on every episode of BCS. They do include a correction at the end of the episode, so it would seem someone later informed them of their glaring oversight.

Regarding the brilliant episode of Coushatta as a whole, one host says the biggest problem with Coushatta is  “I don’t actually like it, I don’t think this episode is very good.” Great analysis guys, kudos. Again, I submit that neither host actually understands what he is watching.

Jim and Aron seem not to like BCS because it’s not Breaking Bad

They are very different shows and are obviously intended to be. Nevertheless, Jim and Aron point this out over and over like it's a bad thing, by constantly comparing the two.

Finally

A show that is as thoughtful, deliberately paced and carefully constructed as BCS deserves an equally thoughtful podcast devoted to it. Avoid this dreck at all costs if you're a fan of BCS, unless you just want to hear two people try to discuss something that is over their heads.

TL;DR

The hosts of Better Cast Saul vastly misunderstand the show they purport to analyze

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'm not sure I understand the motivation behind going to a content creator's website just to slag them off. If you don't like, don't listen. All you're gonna do by posting stuff like this ^^ is not make friends. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    AirOn said:

If you are looking for intelligent, deep-dive discussion and analysis about Better Call Saul, look elsewhere. Bald Move’s Jim and Aron do Better Call Saul (BCS) a disservice with every episode of their podcast. Not only do their analyses completely miss the mark, often laughably, the hosts spend most of each episode complaining about the show in general. Obviously, it is fine to dislike the show, but why would anyone put out 2 hours worth of content every week devoted to discussing a show that they don’t like? Furthermore, why would any fan of the show want to listen to a 1½ hour podcast dissing a show that they love?

Why Better Cast Saul is bad (for brevity I will focus only on a recent Instant Talk about Coushatta – however every episode Better Cast Saul is teeming with these types of problems)

BCS is a master-class in subtle, character driven drama, as any fan knows. It revels in the small moments. Jim and Aron not only do not like this type of storytelling, they straight up don’t get it. One example of this was their utter shock at Kim’s heel-turn in Coushatta. In the Instant Talk episode for Coushatta, Jim and Aron complain that this move was unearned by the writers. According to the hosts, “This stuff is wildly out of character for Kim” and “They’re kind of fucking up the character.” They have managed not to pick up on any of the signals laid out in the previous 3 seasons that Kim’s attraction to Saul was rooted in her attraction to risk and danger. Mind you these hints are subtle, but are clearly there, as evidenced by her enjoyment of being Giselle in the season 2 opener and by her attraction to Jimmy in general. It is certainly surprising to see her begin to embrace her bad side in Coushatta so wholeheartedly, but it is far from unearned. Every episode of Better Cast Saul I’ve heard includes lots of discussions that grossly misunderstand and misinterpret the Kim character.

The hosts also discuss their dismay that Werner, rather than Kai, turned out to be the weak link on the underground lab team. Seriously? Guys, when an episode or series doesn’t go in a direction that you expected, it doesn’t mean that it’s bad or poorly written. In fact, in the case of BCS, it’s quite the opposite. God forbid the writers do something unexpected. If you want predictable series that telegraph all their moves, watch and podcast about something else.

Also in the Instant Talk one host says of Lalo, “Who are you? Why are you here? And why should I care?” Okay, if you don’t know who Lalo is and why he is important, I’m not surprised you don’t like or understand the show. And again, this would be fine if you didn’t purport to be BCS experts with valuable insight - by making a long, analysis-based podcast on every episode of BCS. They do include a correction at the end of the episode, so it would seem someone later informed them of their glaring oversight.

Regarding the brilliant episode of Coushatta as a whole, one host says the biggest problem with Coushatta is  “I don’t actually like it, I don’t think this episode is very good.” Great analysis guys, kudos. Again, I submit that neither host actually understands what he is watching.

Jim and Aron seem not to like BCS because it’s not Breaking Bad

They are very different shows and are obviously intended to be. Nevertheless, Jim and Aron point this out over and over like it's a bad thing, by constantly comparing the two.

Finally

A show that is as thoughtful, deliberately paced and carefully constructed as BCS deserves an equally thoughtful podcast devoted to it. Avoid this dreck at all costs if you're a fan of BCS, unless you just want to hear two people try to discuss something that is over their heads.

TL;DR

The hosts of Better Cast Saul vastly misunderstand the show they purport to analyze

Gosh, that was a lot of words just to say, “You just don’t get it”, like every other TV show stan out there who thinks that someone else not slobbering all over something they love is a personal affront. 

You’re certainly entitled to your opinions (that’s what this is, by the way - it’s not objectively true that BCS is “a masterclass in subtle, character-driven drama”), but why subject yourself to the torture of downloading and listening to a podcast that is clearly painful for you? 
  • AirOn It is unfortunate that you are experiencing such a severe narcissistic injury due to the opinions of podcasters who simply do not have the same subjective view of a television program as you do.  I can only imagine how challenging your personal and professional relationships are, given this reaction.  Funny, you remind me of a specific 'Better Call Saul' character...