The Thing - Modern Cult Classic

Hi @jim and @aron just listening to the Thing commissioned podcast (great analysis again thanks) and you were pondering slow burn movies from the early 2000's and I Offer Donnie Darko as a fine example :) ..
FreddyNatter CastKingKobra

Comments

• IIRC they did one of the tentacle effects by blowing compressed air through them.
    Jovial_Falconbazjenster
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I was blown away when a friend made me watch this. I was expecting some ridiculous 80s movie and I got an awesome horror movie to add to my ever growing horror list.

Also...

Jovial_FalconNatter CastbazjensterA_Ron_Hubbard
  • @MattyWeaves, I was about to post the same pic! Lol!
    @A_Ron_Hubbard how could you forget this hat! Lol
    MattyWeavesbazjensterFreddyA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    "Surely you noticed the hat?!?"
    "What hat?"

- A Conversation I Literally Never Thought Anyone Would Have About 'The Thing'

#BadHatHarry
    bazjensterFreddyseanray
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited September 24
    The radio didn't work because it was receiving interference from the alien spacecraft. That there is some head canon...complete with spider legs.

On "does the Thing know it's the Thing?" : there were a variety of interpretations. The actor who played Norris played him as a Thing that didn't know, but suspected. That's why he doesn't take leadership when offered. He's confused about his own loyalty and motivation.

Never seen the Escape Froms? Okay, guys, you gotta reopen the commish list...pronto :)

• seanrayseanray Texas
    edited September 25
    I don’t think The Thing is necessarily a “cult”
    classic anymore. I think it’s elevated to a classic in its genre. A cult classic I would think is a movie that has a rabid fan base, but is ignored by the masses. (My favorite being 2006 version “Miami Vice”) But The Thing has become loved by critics and fans alike over the past 20-30 years.
    bazjenster
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I was blown away when a friend made me watch this. I was expecting some ridiculous 80s movie and I got an awesome horror movie to add to my ever growing horror list.

Also...

I'd argue that it's the best horror movie.
    bazjenster
  • Jim- His hat! Surely you noticed his hat!

A.Ron- WHAT HAT?!

I’m cracking up just thinking about that!
    :)
    gguenotbazjensterJovial_FalconNatter Cast
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think I didn't realize that was Kurt Russel? Because, yeah, that hat is kinda gandalf level.
    seanray
  • So glad you liked the movie @A_Ron_Hubbard. I hope you and Jim enjoy Unforgiven and JFK
    MattyWeavesgguenotNatter Cast
  • Love JFK. Talk about a soundtrack
    Michelleseanray
  • I want to clarify, I hope they enjoy Laura and Star Wars Ep. 3 special features also, sorry, I commissioned Unforgiven and JFK, so I’m biased towards those films.