803 - Forbidden Fruit

Director: Loni Peristere
Writer: Manny Coto
KingKobraElisa

Comments

• alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    edited September 27
    In case other people wanted to google it during the commercial break:

“[Snake venom] almost always need to be injected into the blood stream and thus carried round the body to be effective.  If ingested, the acids and enzymes contained in both saliva and the stomach will break [venom] down to harmless chemicals very quickly.”
    CodyHarris821MichelletelephoneofmadnessA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Thought this was the best episode of the season. It moved fast and wiped out most of the cast to move us to the next chapter of the story. I do hope they show us next week how they reprogrammed the 3 witches from Coven.

I guess the second act with be Coven vs Michael? We know the witches are powerful enough to match with him, but to beat him? The final battle would be the bridge to “part 3”?

It was a nice little flash of “real Michael” when battling  Mallory. This would explain why he hasn’t really aged “normally”.  We also got to see his ceremony to get answers, and likely get some of his powers. 

Im still not sold on the Kathy Bots character, but I’m going with it for now. 
    alina_macMichelleElisa
  • So many questions!

Does this mean that the teens were just a red herring?

Where did Billy Eichner go? Is he still in the bunker somewhere? 

What happened to all the other greys? And the very tall henchman? 

Where are Queenie and Zoe? They were actually alive at the end of Coven. Weird that myrtle and Madison were there and not the other two living witches. 

Are Venable and Cordelia the same person? Cordelia didn’t show up until Venable died... and how did she know exactly where to go?
    maybe that has something to do with only dead witches showing up!

Elisa
  • @divinemissem13

i had the same question about Billie and was coming back to add that question.  He disappeared again after killing Leslie. I’m guessing he’ll show up again as a “surprise”. 

There are peolle who will play multiple characters this season, so hopefully they don’t do the dead, but alive for them. Hopefully they are two distinct characters. 
    MichelleElisa
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    edited September 27
    @divinemissem13

billie eichner killed the tall henchwoman and took her key card. 

Have you seen season 5 Hotel? Also Langdon said during his ritual that he thought he killed all the witches, so if no other witches show up that might be why.  
    KingKobradivinemissem13MichelleElisa
  • Just as a heads up to @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Cecily it looks like FX+ is making episodes available early (might be same day). Might make things a little more difficult, but it seems most here watch live.  
    Cecily
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Just finished recording and I think we're really hitting our stride here. Before listening please have your credit cards ready to invest, invest, invest!
    KingKobraMichelleElisa
  • So many questions!

Where are Queenie and 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    The fly thru shot of vomit everywhere with Bread - Baby I a Wanna was so great. Ryan Murphy cracks me up man.

MichelleElisa
  • So many questions!

Where are Queenie and 
    Hmmmm it seems you may need a reboot :p maybe that’s what happened before erhe end of your post? :D
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 28
    Mind= blown.  Awesome episode so far.
    BUT that bloodletting ritual with Michael got a bit much when he was almost writhing in ecstasy as he ran his blood-covered hands over himself.  
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    So Langdon told Bates-bot that her design and memories came from a woman who took care of him when he was a child. Do we know who that is? My memory of Murder House is a little foggy but I think Langdon's mom is Connie Britton and she died, right? And Jessica Lange (Constance) was taking care of him at the end? Is Bates-bot meant to have Constance's memories? 
    Michelle
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Also i loved that they killed all the new characters. Most of them were pretty uninteresting, except for Ms Venable but I'm even glad she's gone because it would be weird to have her and Cordelia onscreen together. (I don't think the show would do a thing where the two meet, notice, and acknowledge in-universe that they look alike.) 

Emma Roberts is my favorite thing in anything she does. She's the only young actress on AHS who can really go up against the heavy hitters like Sarah Paulson and Jessica Lange and I'm excited to see more of Madison and her backstory this year. 
    Michelle
  • edited September 27
    ::Edit:: I didn’t listen to Cecily and A.Ron’s recap prior to sending my thoughts. Sorry for the duplication!!

The arrival of the witches raise so many questions. Is the show trying to tell us that they were possessing and/or inhabiting the bodies of Coco (Myrtle), Mallory (Madison), and Dinah (Cordelia)? Was it only by the hosts’ deaths could they be released?

How are Madison and Myrtle “alive”? At the end of Coven, Madison had been strangled to death by Kyle and Myrtle was burned at the stake. Here are my thoughts:
    - Cordelia has the power of resurgence. It is plausible that she brings Myrtle back to life similar to how Misty Day did (with or without magic swamp mud). According to Cordelia, Myrtle was her true mother and she burned her at the stake begrudgingly and only at Myrtle’s demand. If you recall, Myrtle killed the two other council members by poisoning them and scooping their eyeballs out (gross). When Cordelia became the new Supreme, Myrtle didn’t want her presence taunting Cordelia’s new rule and insisted on being shown justice for her crime. 
    - In the episode 4 promo, we see a presumably younger Langdon addressing a Madison dressed in a grocery store uniform stocking shelves. Could this be Madison’s personal hell that Langdon is able to visit considering he’s the anti-Christ and can flit between hells? Is it possible that Langdon could have released Madison from hell? Madison wasn’t exactly the model human being (or witch) while alive. Did Langdon try to recruit her to be on Team Evil? Perhaps using her to track down other witches so he could kill them? He mentioned in his prayer scene after the interaction with Mallory that he missed one. 
    All that said, why then would Madison be strutting in with Cordelia and Myrtle now as part of Team Witch? Is she an undercover Langdon agent or did Cordelia get to her in time?

I got a totally twisted Disney vibe from this episode:
    - Mallory as Cinderella with Coco and Mr. Gallant as the two ugly step sisters. 
    - Snow White with the poisoned apples. 
    - Beauty and the Beast featuring Coco and Brock. Except a version where the Beast stabs Belle in the head. 

I liked the way they transitioned from Ms. V to Cordelia by the former’s death. Does this open up the possibility for Evan Peters to come back as Tate Langdon?

I agree with previously said comments that Ms. Mead is modeled after Constance and I can’t wait to see the flashbacks on that!!

Overall it was a super cool episode that made pumped to see what happens next!
    Elisa
  • @Cecily I am with you not sure how @A_Ron_Hubbard season it as the babysitter. His grandmother (Constance) is the one who raised him. Why would the baby sitter who had such a short window have that deep of an impact. #TeamCecily 
    CecilyElisa
  • young Kathy Bates as Jason Bourne is definitely the show I never knew I needed
    CecilyMichelleElisa
  • So I looked up the year that Vivienne gave birth to Michael, and it looks like she gave birth to him in March, 2012.

In Langdon's emails, the latest one was sent on October 20th, 2021 (my birthday yay). But that means that Langdon would only be.... 11 years old? 

Now for my shitty theory: The only event in this entire show that has ever introduced time-fuckery was season 2, when Alma and Grace were inside the aliens' ship. I really think season 2 is going to play an even bigger role than we thought. Especially since the Angel of Death and the demon that possessed Mary Eunice are more relevant than ever in this setting. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I kinda agree with Cecily. Adina, Billie and Leslie could be the reincarnation of Queenie, Zoe and Misty, perhaps? Langdon did mention something about killing off witches. His talk with Adina was kinda odd too. Billie has super powers. Honestly the first episode when they were talking about DNA and such, I thought everyone was a witch other than Kathy Bot and Sarah. 
    Michelle
  • Thought I had after listening to the feedback podcast: The snakes that are rampant throughout the Outpost are from Langdon right? When he did his ritual devil conference with Mr. S, tons of snakes left his body. Is it safe to assume he’s done this a few times? That could explain why there are masses amounts of snakes in a world where life has been destroyed by nuclear disaster.

PS I love listening to you guys! When you have little pockets of laughing fits during the cast, I just love it. Thanks for all y’all do!
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • KingKobra said:
    @Cecily I am with you not sure how @A_Ron_Hubbard season it as the babysitter. His grandmother (Constance) is the one who raised him. Why would the baby sitter who had such a short window have that deep of an impact. #TeamCecily 
    Yeah, the first thing my wife and I said while watching that scene was that Michael is definitely talking about his grandmother Constance Langdon and we got excited about Constance Langdon flashbacks, either from Langdons perspective of Robo Bates's memories she's given access to. Michael brutally murdered his caretaker as a toddler and laughed about it. Why would she mean anything to him?

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but if A.Ron believes that he is WROOOOOOONG

ElisaKingKobraCecily
  • Props on the new sponsor :D 
    A_Ron_HubbardhypergenesbCecily
  • I *loved* this episode... Michael's morph into his true form and Mallory's instinctive answer to it by calling the Flames... WOW!  And the Kathy Bots vs Terrorist fight scene was truly an epic work of art, including her answering the door and the kids thinking it was makeup... perfect.  And mah Witches!  <3

Cecily and A.Ron... I absolutely LOVE your podcast - you guys (and Jim!) are my favorite.  You also have some of the best podcast equipment because you sound like your in the same room with me every time.  Unlike the vast majority of other podcasts I attempt to listen to, where I have to turn my volume up to blasting levels and they still sound slightly muffled.  Anyway.  Just some quick praise.  <span>:smile:</span>

And speaking of the podcast... I just want to make a note that yes - witches being the "brides of Satan" is definitely Christian propaganda.  True/real witches are much older than Christianity and have absolutely no association with the Devil, which is purely a Christian concept.  Now that said, the term "witch" is actually a broad label which is typically applied to those who follow an Earth-based spiritual path (even if they do not practice the craft), or those who honor the "old ways".  But in the context of AHS and the season of Coven, the witches there seemed to follow a path that was a conglomerate of Wiccan, Hoodoo, Voodoo, Folk Magic, Hedgecraft (also known as Green Witchery), and Kitchen Witchery (which could be lumped in with Folk Magic).  All of those paths have absolutely no connection to any Christian concepts and are their own religious and/or spiritual paths.

As a Hedgewitch, I like to explain this whenever I can.  I'm not a fan of the move The Witch due to its portrayal of witches being companions of satan.
    telephoneofmadnessKingKobraElisaA_Ron_HubbardCecily
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 28
    I just realized, Brock stabbed Coco in the head the way you would if you were killing a zombie.  Is this just a little snark from Murphy, saying that Coco is brain-dead (aka a total idiot)?  Or, probably more on the nose, that she is the walking dead, since she ended up being a witch who was later resurrected by Cordelia et al?
  • I'm with A. Ron! Kathy Bots was the babysitter!! I went back and looked at the end of Murder House and she looks very much like the young Kathy Bates in flash backs. Perhaps she was killed and became a robot killer for the government, it would explain her super strength when fighting that guy on Halloween. She kills him and without much emotion just goes to the door to hand out candy. 
    Elisa
  • I'm still crying over that read for the new sponsor. #baldbutt
    MichelleKingKobragguenotA_Ron_HubbardCecily
  • I'm still crying over that read for the new sponsor. #baldbutt
    Incredible  :D
  • Anyone else bothered by the whole resurrection thing?

I mean if a character is killed, but can later be brought back to life, how is there any certainty that someone's "death" is the end of that character's storyline?

How does one truly "end" a character's involvement?
  • Lido said:
    Anyone else bothered by the whole resurrection thing?

I mean if a character is killed, but can later be brought back to life, how is there any certainty that someone's "death" is the end of that character's storyline?

How does one truly "end" a character's involvement?

AHS has never been one to concern itself with things like "stakes" or just generally not doing whatever wild nonsense they feel like at any given time.
    KingKobra
  • Elisa said:
    I kinda agree with Cecily. Adina, Billie and Leslie could be the reincarnation of Queenie, Zoe and Misty, perhaps? 
    I don't want to go too far down a rabbit hole with who might be possessed by who (yet). There's already enough going on without speculating whether the characters we're watching are really other characters, IMO. At this point, I'm willing to take it at face value. Murder House already established that the dead walk the earth freely on Halloween, and Coven already established that The Supreme can resurrect the dead. I don't see any reason (yet) to rationalize how Myrtle and Madison can be alive, or how Dinah, Mallory, Coco are alive again. They just are.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I noped out of the show at the end of this episode. I was psyched to see Robot Bates shoot and kill Sarah Paulson, and then to just have her walk right back into the show as a different character? *eyeroll*

I’ve never been a fan of witches, I find them boring. I didn’t watch coven, so maybe I am missing some badass witch storyline. But I really wanted to see an apocalypse story, and this ain’t it.