612 - "Collateral"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Michael Pressman
Writer: Chris Provenzano & VJ Boyd

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Everyone's favourite episose I see?  Lots of feel with Constable Bob almost not dying and poor Zacharia dying after a long, long 5-6 episode stretch.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    @Cory  No, I thought it was extremely well done.  It was action-heavy, though, so I didn't feel compelled to immediately write anything.  It was great to have Constable Bob back with his barking Ava's name, apologizing for being "untoward," and asking Raylan to keep him conscious with Indiana Jones Trivia.  Bob is incorruptible and possibly the closest thing to an innocent on this show, and I liked that he was the tether to Raylan's humanity.

"Your teeth glow in the dark."  That nighttime shootout as a deconstruction of Raylan and Shea Whigham's (Shea Whigham!) deconstruction of Boyd were my standout scenes, but Tim's telephone version of live-tweeting Vasquez's meltdown and Boon's gunslinging demonstration were also excellent.  So we now know that Boon is wicked fast, but also that he goes for risky shots.  And he keeps that chamber empty.  Yeah, there's no way he's going to take down Raylan.  But I still want Loretta to take him out.
    AmeliaOriginal_Josephksa1001Travis
  • Ok, no way Boyd lives after this episode. They've done a good job of reminding the audience how much of a bad guy he really is, despite his charm and fancy speaking. So, I'm defintely expecting him to die. But, that scene in the woods between him and Raylan was damn good.
    Also, how does this rank in terms of all time favorite Justified episodes? Personally, I love the season 2 finale (can't remember the title). Or Decoy.
    AmeliaOriginal_JosephTravis
  • I loved the episode. Many badass moments from the supporting characters: Zachariah almost taking Boyd out in a spectacular manner, Wynn Duffy getting away with Katherine's jewels, Loretta standing up to Avery, Constable Bob thinking he could resist Ava if she tried to seduce him (wishful thinking there...)

I now have a new prediction regarding the inevitable Raylan versus Boon showdown. Boon manages to outdraw Raylan, aims for the head, and only manages to shoot off Raylan's hat. So he symbolically dethrones Raylan as fastest gunman but gets killed in the process. .

ksa1001Travis
  • What was the name that the local asked Boyd about in the cab?

I don't have any words - there were probably five scenes where I couldn't look away from the screen for a second.

It seems like the shoe has to drop on Vasquez's boss's murder - we're running out of suspects (Unless it's Art!). Maybe that's how Raylan gets away at the end.

Vasquez was one of my favorite characters - I'm a little sad they're making him into kind of a dick in the last few episodes.
    Travis
  • @Original_Joseph
    Wynn Duffy admitted he was the rat and the one who had Vasquez's boss murdered. Duffy was lying when he asked him, because nobody knows, or can prove it.
    Cory
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited April 2015
    Liked the episode. Interested to see how quick Raylan will be released to continue after his "capture" at the end there. Sorta wish I didn't watch the "next week on" as it showed a bit much. Glad they did show Boon at work, as I'm sure he won't best Raylan. I thought Wynn Duffy was going to get away clean, but it seems that he thinks he will end up with the 10 Million and I'm sure that will be his eventual undoing.

There was a fun sit down with the cast last night that you can watch here.
    TravisAmelia
  • I really enjoyed Raylan's Ron Swanson style will.

trippy
    Listening to the podcast...I think they made it more than clear in the last episode that when Art said Raylan had 48 hours he was full of shit/trying to stall for time and Raylan knew right away. That's why Art was there right away because he was planning on coming after Raylan the whole time.
    Original_Joseph
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Zachariah just plain sucks at killing Boyd. Was that attempt number 3?
    ksa1001TravisAmelia
    @chrisk That's what happens when you shop at "ACME" like my friend here...

trippyTravispavlovsbellAmeliaOriginal_Joseph
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    Boon carries a Colt Single Action Army revolver.  "The gun that won the West."  Of course he would carry that.  Apparently you have to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.  Wikipedia goes into more detail:

AmeliaTravis
  • edited April 2015

Some thoughts following the podcast:

Regarding Boyd’s line about
    having won already, I do believe it refers to Raylan’s corruption. If Raylan
    chooses to pursue Boyd over helping Bob, a personal vendetta over saving the
    life of an innocent, it does prove that Raylan is as morally corrupt as Boyd.
    Furthermore, Boyd feels superior to Raylan because he at least is not a
    hypocrite; he openly and proudly admits he’s a bad man. They really turned Boyd
    into a traditional Western villain in these final episodes, selfish, driven by
    greed, killing innocents without remorse.

The title of the episode, “Collateral”,
    probably also refers to Raylan and Boyd. Even though they are not blood
    relatives, they do descend from the same cultural roots. Both had criminal
    fathers, grew up together, worked in the mines together. Their paths diverged
    when Raylan left Harlan, but they still have a lot in common. Most importantly,
    they share a darkness, something that Boyd now completely embraces while Raylan
    is still trying to overcome. The fact that Raylan chooses to save Bob, not just
    call for help but actually drive him to the hospital, risking to get caught, proves
    there’s still hope for Raylan.

Travis
  • I read "I've already won' very similarly to @Amelia.

Boyd was trying to get in Raglan's head, and when the shot about Arlo didn't hit, he tried out " Why don't you just say it Raylan - 'I WANT TO WIN!' "

IMHO, the "I've already won" was more pathological warfare - Boyd meant that if Raylan knowingly let a lawman and a loyal ally die just to get Boyd, then Raylan wouldn't have proved anything except that he was a better outlaw.

As for the truck guy, my reading was Boyd was pretending to himself that he might let him walk home, and that he sort of resented the guy calling him on it.
    AmeliaTravis