October Spooktacular 2: The Spookquel

CecilyCecily Cincinnati
I caught these trailers today, and I'm getting really excited for our next Halloween podcast!

Haunting of Hill House: 
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: 
Apostle: 

Does anyone have any movies, new or old, they're hoping to see covered by us this year?  Currently, these are the movies that I've seen that are definitely making the cut:

The Forest
Raw
KingKobracdrive

Comments

• Not sure if you guys have seen "The Shrine" but it's one of those horror films that have stayed with me for years, and is good on rewatch
  • Raw is good. The Transfiguration is excellent, but depressing.
    Cecily
  • Really looking forward to this...

Here’s my list:
    Jacob’s Ladder
    Candyman
    In the Mouth of Madness

More Recent movies:
    As Above, So Below
    Devil

While it would be awesome to hear a movie the club threw out covered, I’m cool with being surprised as well. I don’t want you are ARon to feel obligated at all. 
    MattyWeavescdrive
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    My wife and I are excited for all those, Netflix appears to be nailing Halloween again.

Revenge on Shudder was quite good, Triangle also on shudder was good and caused a lot of discussion between us.

We just saw Terrifier on Netflix, and it was one of the more fucked up movies I've seen in a long time. It was weird and gory and unpredictable. There were at least two things that I've never seen in a horror movie.

If I had to make one suggestion, my current broken record recommendation is The Devil's Candy. Short and to the point, I cared about the leads, and the music was all hard rock and it worked so well.
    cdriveCecily
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited September 30

A Field in England

Creep

Those 3 trailers you threw out are new to me and that’s why I’m excited for whatever happens in Spooktacular Dos! Man I love this month. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Terrified (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7549892/) has gotten pretty good reviews at fantastic fest, and should be dropping on Shudder in October. 
  • Creep is so good.

The Wailing and Don’t Breathe are pretty dece too
    cdrive
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 1
    Have you or Aron seen Salem's Lot?  It was released in 1979, filmed here in Humboldt County (Ferndale, to be exact).

gguenotKingKobraTaraC73
  • House (1977, Japanese horror film; very campy and Tarantino-y)

Suspiria (they’re remaking it this year with the director of Call me by your name; this original has one of the best horror movie soundtracks I’ve ever heard)

both are foreign language so either sub or dub, but they’re both classics of the 70s.
    cdriveBhorten1
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^ @Walnut Frey  Hausu!  Goddammit that's so good that should've been mine.   :D

• kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    This one is on Netlix currently I watched recently. Pretty creepy.

MattyWeaves
    Some recent one I've seen that I have enjoyed:

Hell House LLC (1 and 2), and Revenge on Shudder
    Lake Mungo and The Town that Dreaded Sundown on Prime
    V/H/S 1 and 2, I think 2 is better.

I am big fan of any found footage style horror films.
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    @hitmy have not seen The Shrine, but adding it to the list!

@KingKobra don't worry, even if we were obligated we don't act like we are...

@MattyWeaves A.Ron and I have seen Triangle, and it seems to be a source of contention for a lot of couples.  This would be a great time to talk about it as well as The Devil's Candy (I've seen that one)

@JoshTheBlack That's the second time I've seen terrified mention, so definitely worth serious consideration.  This is a very serious podcast, after all.

@gguenot THANK YOU!  Don't Breathe is the other one that we have seen together this year that we'll definitely be talking about.

@Michelle We have not seen Salem's Lot, but I thought it was a Stephen King adaptation?  Haven't watched your link yet but the screengrab suggests otherwise...

@Walnut Frey No language barrier can stop this movie buff

@kuman07 I love found footage movies as well, but after The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity it seems to be about covered.  I guess maybe I don't like them as much as I claim.  Have you seen Banshee Chapter?  We might talk about that one.

*whew* Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner but this is quality stuff!

gguenotKingKobraMichellecdriveMattyWeaveskuman07stevenduran1240
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Cecily Salem’s Lot is for sure a King adaptation.  Granted, it was filmed in about ‘78 so the effects aren’t super high-quality, so take that for what it is. It is legit scary in a few places though, definitely at least worth a watch.
    Cecily
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited October 2
    Me when I get a mention from @Cecily

Antm Excited GIF - Antm Excited Enter GIFs

Michelledjcaudle01CecilycdriveDoubleA_Ronalina_mac
  • edited October 2
    I'd recommend:

[REC] (2007) - A Spanish found-footage movie about a TV reporter following firefighters who are responding to a disease outbreak in a hotel.

The Orphanage [El Orfanato] (2007) - A Guillermo Del Toro film following a woman who experiences strange events after purchasing the orphanage she was raised in.
    Bhorten1
    @Cecily I have not seen Banshee Chapter, I am going to add that to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Cecily
  • I'd recommend:

[REC] (2007) - A Spanish found-footage movie about a TV reporter following firefighters who are responding to a disease outbreak in a hotel.

The Orphanage [El Orfanato] (2007) - A Guillermo Del Toro film following a woman who experiences strange events after purchasing the orphanage she was raised in.
    Speaking of del Torro The Devil’s Backbone and Cronos are two that are recommended and Criterion collection movies. 
  • Can you all cover Hereditary??? I thought this was the scariest film of 2018. 
  • Can you all cover Hereditary??? I thought this was the scariest film of 2018. 
    I think ARon was meh on it, they did a mini review on a BMTV or lunch recently. I believe it was mentioned as a possibility of making it, so we may get more in depth. I know for sure this was brought up in the Heredity thread. Just giving some insight by what was said already, not poopooing your choice :) 
  • I usually enjoy those disturbing movies, but for some reason Hereditary was too much for me. The decapitation and severed head was just too real. Maybe it’s because I’m recently a father to a daughter, idk. 
    Cecily
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

This movie was shot for something like 50k and a lot of the dialog is improvised but I loved it. It's a good movie and really shows how much effect something as simple as glow sticks can have if you get creative enough.

telephoneofmadness
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Can you all cover Hereditary??? I thought this was the scariest film of 2018. 
    The @a.ron & @Jim did a cover of Hereditary the night it came out. I loved that movie despite their review so I'd love to talk about it more this year!
    KingKobra
  • Cecily said:
    Can you all cover Hereditary??? I thought this was the scariest film of 2018. 
    The @a.ron & @Jim did a cover of Hereditary the night it came out. I loved that movie despite their review so I'd love to talk about it more this year!
    A point counter point would be gooooooddddddd
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It's my favorite horror movie in a really long while, since The Witch definitely. But I tend to like divisive movies. 
  • gguenot said:
    I usually enjoy those disturbing movies, but for some reason Hereditary was too much for me. The decapitation and severed head was just too real. Maybe it’s because I’m recently a father to a daughter, idk. 

I completely understand where you are coming from. What I love about the movie is it’s interpretation of family, how different generations interact with each other, mental illness, and of course what we pass down/receive from our family members. 
    gguenot
    One more I want to throw out there that just started streaming on Shudder called Satan’s Slaves. It is an Indonesian film with subtitles but they also have an English dubbed version. I watched the original and thought it was really good. There are some good jump scares but also a good story and character development. 
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    @darwinfeeshy I second [REC] (2007). I came here to mention it but you beat me to it.

I've heard a lot of buzz this season about The Changling (1980). My coworker mentioned it to me first and just talking about it was giving her goosebumps, and then I saw it on one or two of those Underrated Movies You Haven't Seen lists.