Lowriders (2017 movie. Spoilers and some heavy subject matter)

FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
edited October 2 in Movies
Just dropped today on HBO Now/Go. I clicked on it and skipped about 30 minutes in just to see if there was anything there. Pretty much how I handle checking out any movie that I've never even heard a whiff about. Surprisingly good movie with a ton of heart. It has some pacing issues, mostly in individual scenes. There are some other flaws, but by no means is it a bad movie. Definitely recommend it if you want something that's a break from the norm.

Now onto why I made this thread: This movie is for the most part about SoCal Hispanic culture, and really paints a picture of how and why lowriders, tattoos, graffiti, etc. are so important. Most people see a lowrider and think "goofy car I wouldn't be caught dead in", and certainly can't fathom why people would wrap their entire lives up in something so ludicrous. By the end it explains it perfectly, and manages to do so while telling a compelling drama about a broken family. Which leads me to the "heavy subject matter" part...

The main characters and center focus of this film are a recovering alcoholic father and his two sons. The older of which just got out of prison after 8 years, during which time his father never once visited. On top of that, the father used to beat the ever loving shit out of him. Like most people in this community (I hope all), I come from the school of thought that hitting people for any reason other than self defense or competitive sport is just plain wrong. This movie really doesn't dive deep into the beatings aspect, and I think that its because beatings are a cultural thing in some regards. In fact, the biggest issue the son has with his father is that he was absentee and didn't visit him in prison. They make it a point that the father was abusive, but don't focus on it much at all. So I guess my question is: are beatings of children cultural? Are they an often overlooked aspect of a lot of cultures? I don't know. It was something that stuck out to me because of how many friends, relatives, and friends' relatives I know that grew up being beat. And a lot of them just sort of accept it as a part of their childhood. Plenty of them don't even hold it against their offender (mostly fathers). I want to make it clear, most, if not all of them, are pretty well adjusted people who refuse to continue the trend. Not sure where I'm going with this. I don't know, "discuss" I suppose. Ha ha.

kingbee67

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Sounds interesting, I would like to see a detailed documentary on that. I grew up around that culture but never understood what or why it was. I would like to see about zoot suits and cholos and that whole thing.
    Freddy
  • edited October 1
    I think not beating children is a recent Anglosphere thing. I wasn't hit often as a child. My Dad had been badly beaten as a child and he didn't want to inflict that on me, but he did hit me once (totally justified). I had another family member who would hit me for trivial reasons, and I do resent that.

I think there are definitely scenarios where hitting children is justified. I think it can be a good instructive tool, and a good preparation for violence later (I can't imagine how shocking it would be for an adult to encounter violence for the first time without having experienced it in their childhood). But with any kind of punishment it's important that the child understands why they were punished.

In my experience being hit as a child was nowhere near as traumatic as the psychological warfare I experienced with psychopaths/narcissists then and as an adult.
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    ^^^I was spanked, but never even close to beaten. Even that stopped when I was pretty young. I don't resent my parents for it. I resent them for being beatniks, and my dad specifically for failing us financially after the divorce. Disowned him after he stole from me (actually wrote him a letter explaining that he no longer had me as a son). Relatedly enough to this movie, his failures and transgressions were pretty much all rooted in alcoholism. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m from an era where children were hit and no one thought anything of it. I still remember complaining to my mum about the teacher hitting me with a metre long ruler for talking in class, and my mum saying, “Well, that’s what you get for talking in class.” When we misbehaved, she would hit us across the back of the legs with a wooden spoon.

It hasn’t caused me any trauma and I don’t look on it as having been beaten or anything, but having said that, I am 100% against hitting children. (I never use the word spanking, as I think it’s just a way of softening what’s really happening). If it’s not socially acceptable to hit a grown up who is pissing me off, why should it be socially acceptable for me to hit a child who is pissing me off. 
    FreddyKingKobra