Laura (1944)

edited October 2 in Movies
This podcast reminded me of a blog post by Anna Biller (director of The Love Witch) where she writes something to the effect that movies made in the 1930s--1940s were less sexist than more recent movies (e.g. the female characters were more realistic). This is it:

http://annabillersblog.blogspot.com/2018/02/lets-stop-calling-movies-feminist.html

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Should I read this before or after I listen to the podcast? I was surprised by the choice of movie (who commissioned that?), but it’s a good one, and I’m keen to listen to their thoughts, though part of me is a little worried that Jim’s thoughts will just be “Zzzzzz”, since I know he doesn’t like old timey movies much. 
  • Dee said:
    Should I read this before or after I listen to the podcast? I was surprised by the choice of movie (who commissioned that?), but it’s a good one, and I’m keen to listen to their thoughts, though part of me is a little worried that Jim’s thoughts will just be “Zzzzzz”, since I know he doesn’t like old timey movies much. 
    Maybe don't read it -- having read it again, it's more ranting and less interesting than I remembered. I think there was a point in the podcast where A. Ron was surprised that Laura is supposed to be a high-flying ad executive in the 1940s (because the character doesn't come across as convincing?). According to Anna Biller it was common for women to be depicted in those sorts of roles before the 1950s, and wasn't considered a big deal (whereas today, supposedly, it is, and I think Biller is bemoaning that it isn't just taken for granted any more). I'm not familiar enough with movies from that era to judge.
    Dee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Dee said:
    Maybe don't read it -- having read it again, it's more ranting and less interesting than I remembered. I think there was a point in the podcast where A. Ron was surprised that Laura is supposed to be a high-flying ad executive in the 1940s (because the character doesn't come across as convincing?). According to Anna Biller it was common for women to be depicted in those sorts of roles before the 1950s, and wasn't considered a big deal (whereas today, supposedly, it is, and I think Biller is bemoaning that it isn't just taken for granted any more). I'm not familiar enough with movies from that era to judge.

I was watching a documentary about the history of the LGBT community in America and things were liberal in the 20s and got majorly conservative after the war, especially the 50s. I haven't seen Laura, but I can understand if we haven't gained back everything we lost.