Unforgiven

Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
edited October 8 in Movies
This movie is so Muny...and it doesn't even know it. 

Unforgiven highlights for me the major problem with Westworld. It makes sense that 1970 Richard Benjamin would be interested in vacationing in an old west theme park because he would have grown up on cornball westerns of the 50s. It's not clear to me that anyone would want to spend $40k/week (/day?) to live in Unforgiven.

I see a parallel between the ending shootout and English Bob's monologue about the majesty of royalty. America doesn't have kings, but we do have gunslinging legends like William Muny. When all the "little dog" deputies are discussing Little Bill and the tough towns he worked we see the kind of awe that Bob was talking about. Little Bill ends up losing when a bigger, badder, literally more awesome specter enters the town.

Looking forward to the JFK cast .. cuz if you're a general who has decided to murder the president, you can't do any better for an A Team than a crew of rent boys, closeted businessmen and Joe Pesci. That is one reliable group of secret keepers.

seanrayKate23

Comments

• @Natter Cast I commissioned JFK also. Love that film. I miss old Oliver Stone who had guts to do the controversial political film.
  • My memory of seeing "Unforgiven" in a theater when it first came out was, that movie was so darkly lit I missed most of the important scenes. I liked it very much then but haven't seen it since—but I may have to rewatch because the podcast was really good!
    I'm somewhere between Jim's and ARon's reactions. It's not a knock to say I put Unforgiven in a kind of "western myth" category...even though there are gritty realistic settings and plot situations you have characters and dialogue that are rich and satisfying, and a story like a full meal. These movies kind of depend on a collective unconscious idea of "the west," which was in modern times created by movies, so a weird looping thing. But they're all kind of very satisfying in a way, even if they don't have a completely happy ending. 
    The best way to describe that western myth category though is to name a movie that isn't, like, The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford. That movie was really, really unsettling, but in a good way. It's one of just a few movies that have completely dropped me into time and place the entire time. The sparseness, the lack of "stuff"; the dialogue; virtually feeling the weather; even the idea of pointing a pistol just feet away from someone and missing; the "realness" of the movie has always stuck with me. I'm not sure it can even be called a western. Anyway I like it just as much as Unforgiven but those two movies couldn't be more different in depicting a similar time period. 
    I especially liked the talk about Munny's character. Personally I think the main reason he is sympathetic at all is because he can say Ned is his friend. If someone like Ned is willing to leave his home and go with Munny, Munny can't be all bad. Then you put Morgan Freeman in that role and you've got the audience firmly on your side. It's a completely different movie without Ned. 
    Natter Cast