Side Hustle Suggestions?

Hi! 

I just started my first year of my PhD program, and while the funding is actually pretty good compared to other programs in my field, I need a side hustle! During my undergrad I did lawn care/maintance and also helped people start and maintain their own backyard bee hives (I was a beekeeper for about 5-6 years) But, now I live in a major city and there is a lot less opportunity for those kinds of things. I'm looking for a new side hustle, and was wondering if anyone here had suggestions? My biggest hurdle is advertising. I used to just do work for friends of friends, but I don't know anyone here. I've been thinking about pet care/sitting or even entering the  convenience economy, running errands and doing laundry for people, but I don't know how to advertise. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    If you’re in a major city and you have an appropriate car, you can try uber/lyft/sidecar/Amazon flex/etc. I do uber and lyft about 30 hours a week and usually make about $600 in Atlanta. The mileage on the car is a little rough and you have to hold your own taxes, but all said it’s not a bad side hustle. 
    Murderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited October 8
    When I'm not working on wiretaps and assets investigations I make furniture for dollhouses.
    cdriveDoctor_NickDummyApril_May_JuneDoubleA_RonGiovanniFrakkin TFlukes
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Freddy said:
    When I'm not working on wiretaps and assets investigations I make furniture for dollhouses.
    Out of teeth?
    hypergenesb
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited October 8
    Long time college town guy here - I've done both:  tutor for athletic dept.; and work game day (men's football and basketball) traffic/parking.  I've also been a soccer official.
  • It beats being on the boat....

Freddy said:

DummyApril_May_June
  • The pet sitting, pet care, dog walking game is supposedly super strong. 
  • May not work for you but my neighborhood has a pretty active Nextdoor site and people are always looking for or offering odd job type services on there. Would be a good way to advertise in a new community. Everything from cleaning to yard work to babysitting to more skilled labor. I hired someone for a small sewing job from the site once and found a good electrician. 

I think the Uber/lyft idea is a pretty good suggestion too. Should work in any good sized town and flexibility is unbeatable. 
    voodoorat
  • I think all the ideas posted above are great ideas for a side job!   :)

I'm honestly not trying to open a can of worms by saying what I'm about to say.
    That being said, please be careful of any sort of get-rich-quick gimmicks, or MLMs/pyramid schemes.  Most people actually lose money while involved.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Any job that asks you to pay something upfront to 'sign up' is most likely a MLM.  There are new ones popping up all the time, so be sure to research it you're unsure.

Sorry, I just had to say that.  Good luck in your search!   :)
    JoshTheBlackFlukes
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Get a box of candy, pretend you’re raising money for your basketball team, and accost people outside of the subway. 
    April_May_June
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @majjam0770 already suggested it, but i was gonna say nextdoor site/app assuming that you're now somewhere in suburbia.
  • Your PhD wouldn't happen to be in chemistry? 
    telephoneofmadnessApril_May_June
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    When I'm not physically bringing the customer's specs to the software engineers, or having my secretary do it, I'm at home making Jump to Conclusions mats...which could hopefully be the next big thing like the pet rock.  

April_May_JuneFlukes
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Hi! 

I just started my first year of my PhD program, and while the funding is actually pretty good compared to other programs in my field, I need a side hustle!

Just FYI in general: https://aspiritech.org/

Is your undergrad degree/PhD in something used in the business world or other institutions (museums, etc) in the city?  You might be able to find a part-time/internship for more money than a usual side hustle.  Most places have websites with careers sections which could get you a contact form or email.  You can also contact staffing agencies in the city but I suggest trying the direct route first.

I can recommend this podcast on side hustles: https://sidehustleschool.com/

Best of luck with your search and degree!

• edited October 10
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! 

I am going to try to do some tutoring on the side. At my university, every undergraduate has to take a writing course at some point, and most (especially the science majors) really struggle with it. I am a pretty strong writer, both in scientific and humanities contexts, so I think I might be able to carve out a small niche for myself that way. Some of the people in my department actually teach for the writing course, so I am thinking of advertising at way. 

I really do want to start some kind of pet care/dog-walking, etc. service, but I'm less certain of how to advertise for that. 

I don't know how I feel about Uber/Lyft, honestly. I feel like I would be losing more money in terms of milage on my car, and gas (which is very expensive here) than I would probably make back. I just paid off my car, and it is currently in very good condition. I am really hoping to not have another car payment at least until I am done my PhD in 5-6 years. It is more important to me to keep my car in good condition, and the mileage low than to have some side money. 

April_May_June
  • cdrive said:
    When I'm not physically bringing the customer's specs to the software engineers, or having my secretary do it, I'm at home making Jump to Conclusions mats...which could hopefully be the next big thing like the pet rock.  

I deal with the god damn customers! i have people skills!!
    cdriveApril_May_JuneFlukes