902 - The Bridge

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
God help me I’m probably gonna watch this damn thing tonight.   WHO’S WITH ME!?!? 

Director - Daisy Mayer. Oh em gee director of Party Girl, lowkey one of the best movies evar!

Writer - David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (Orphan, Conjuring 2 and 3)
russkellyMichelleNervousRhinoPangs

Comments

• Demian Bichir voice: The Bridge?!
    cdriveDeek_Fasay
  • The action scenes still need some work but overall it continues to be better than what it was the previous 2 seasons IMO.

Good job to Kang for cleaning up some of the writing issues. It was a hot mess to inherit but she seems to be doing a decent job so far. 

I just someone would take like the scene with Henry knocking that guy (Justin?) down with the stick and say “Eh ya know that looks kind of eye-rolling on film, maybe we should adjust that.” Or the Rick shooting at the rope scene and think maybe we should put him a little farther back so it doesn’t look like he’s wasting time and ammo taking shots at a rope he could easily run up and hack with his blade. 

One step at a time. 
    Deek_Fasay
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Pretty sure Jadis went down down down on Father Gabriel. 
    NervousRhino
  • These first two episodes are better than 90% of the last jeez-HOW-many-seasons of misery and degradation. Things aren't rosy but it's nice to have "normal" strife and not sadistic psycho stuff.
    Gotta keep an eye on that Maggie, though...
    I'm liking this again. Actually looked forward to watching. Not disappointed.
    NervousRhinoMichelleDeek_Fasay
  • Big thumbs up! No complaints at all. The dumb stuff was not that annoying and there were so many good moments. I love that they are talking through problems and making plans. Also Ezekiel was adorable and Daryl continues to be badass but now I can understand him when he talks. This is such a relief to not be angry after a TWD episode.
    Michelle
  • It's good to see all our characters getting air time in one episode. It's a definite improvement 
    over the last 2 seasons. Some may say it's a bit slow but they're building up to something 
    here. And it's a dam shame we know what that something is.

So, thumbs up to Kang so far - She's doing a good job.
    NervousRhinoMichellecdriveGruffyWinters
  • jtmy92jtmy92 Independence, MO
    Dare I say it... this season is actually interesting??
    MichelleGruffyWintersDeek_Fasay
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I was nursing a pretty good hangover yesterday and I guess I was hating myself because I watched last week's episode in the afternoon and.....actually enjoyed it. So then I watched last night's, even though I said last year I was done if the guys weren't going to cover it. (I also quit the show two years ago and caved) This show man. This fuckin show. I don't know why I'm so compelled to it. I guess it's that whole sunk cost fallacy thing makes me think I've already invested so much time, it would be dumb to give up.

I will say though, I didn't hate the last two episodes. Still some dumb things here and there but overall, you can definitely notice an improvement. The time jump was kinda weird but alright. Maggie wasn't showing at all last season and suddenly we've jumped ahead long enough for to have given birth and have a GIANT baby, yet no one else seems to have aged much outside of Rick. But that's television I guess.

It would be hilarious though if this season just got better and better after we have no coverage around here. But, I don't blame them whatsoever. There are so many more wonderful things for them to cover and it's just not worth the risk anymore. I'll probably stick around till Rick is done and see how I feel.
    Kela15NervousRhinoMichellejtmy92cdriveGruffyWinters
  • I hear you @Murderbear. I had quit the show in season 8 then caved because I didn’t like listening to the coverage without seeing it. Then I was for sure done with it all year but I’m now a victim of there being nothing else on Sunday night and wanting to root for Kang. 

One day I will escape this show! 
    MurderbearMichelle
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    The first three episodes were made available to some reviewers early so I would expect any quality decline to happen after them.

Are various deaths going to make Daryl more inclined to stick around?  Can't see the show splitting into him and a few others running around separately while Eugene, et. al. rebuild civilization.  Would like to see Daryl and some others go on increasingly dangerous scavenging missions for the communities.

Z Nation is back on, BTW.
  • Weeks in which TWD has not devolved into a complete dumpster fire: 2
    BrandonTheBardGruffyWintersMichelle
  • Holy fuck this episode was awful. 

Oh boy. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 15
    But tell us how you really feel, no really I base my entire opinions on how good or bad TWD is entirely off of the opinions on the forum. I refuse to watch another episode. 
  • surprised no one has mentioned Georgie. Her asking Maggie to join her? Sounds like a good way to have a character leave for a bit....
    Michelle
  • saw it last night, quick takes:

• I want more big city trips, so sick of the normal locales and "walkers walking in the woods" scenery
    • still better than anything in probably last 4 or 5 seasons
    • people made dumb decisions in the episode, but at least they were mostly understandable
    • I'm glad the episode wasn't single focused, and multiple plotlines were progressed
    • it's clear at this point that it was a REALLLLLLLLLY bad decision putting Daryl in charge of the sanctuary.
    • It's really only been 34 days since the end of the war?!?
    • Obviously the missing sanctuary folk are rallying together to go guerrilla, or make some commando raid on Alexandria to rescue Negan. The long-haired "give me more water kid" guy is obviously gonna live, and is going to give us an introduction to this group next week or the week after 

And finally, it's kind of funny, Negan's last line "You're preparing the world for me" (something like that), considering how Rick has a handful of episodes left.
    jtmy92
    @hitmy I think it's been 34 days since last week's episode and Maggie hung Gregory. She's had a baby since well after the war ended.
    Deek_Fasay
  • ah, ok. that makes more sense
  • probably what through me off here was that I didn't really catch on that the "hanging of Gregory" was a big deal. Like, it's surprising that he wasn't hung already. Off-season death for extreme traitorous douchbaggery.
    I definitely wasn't sad to see him go. Amazing he lasted as long as he did.
    Michelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Just wanted to drop by and say I'll be joining Jason on The Walking Dead 'Cast next week! 

http://www.walkingdeadcast.com/
    jtmy92telephoneofmadnessMurderbearlengmoMichellecdriveAlkaid13Kela15GruffyWintersDeek_Fasayand 3 others.
  • Just wanted to drop by and say I'll be joining Jason on The Walking Dead 'Cast next week! 

http://www.walkingdeadcast.com/
    fuuuuuuuck yeah!
    Deek_Fasay
  • edited October 17
    I must not watch TWD. TWD is the mind-killer. TWD is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will resist watching TWD like Reg's cold-rolled steel resists the slaps of 10,000 walkers, and Maggie's uterus resists tearing when she jumps off buildings, and Rick resists acknowledging the size of his daughter's earlobes.
    Shumate BSGiovanni
  • hitmy said:
    saw it last night, quick takes:
    • Obviously the missing sanctuary folk are rallying together to go guerrilla, or make some commando raid on Alexandria to rescue Negan. The long-haired "give me more water kid" guy is obviously gonna live, and is going to give us an introduction to this group next week or the week after 

That last point I think is what you're supposed to think, but if the 'big bad' this season is the same as in the comics the writers are actually doing a good job at some subtle tension building without just hitting us over the head with plot.

For Daryl, my guess is there will be a sub-plot of him just bugging out for a while. He will run across Dwight and they'll hash out their shit and fold his character back into the group and end up being the head Savior guy.

Anybody else actually shocked by Aaron's log accident? Was the first time in a long time I was a bit taken aback by a scene in TWD and actually felt bad for a character.Probably the first time since the S05 opener with our heroes lined up at the slaughter trough.

lengmo
    @redlancer I have to say, I was pretty surprised by Aaron's injury. Not that I want to see limbs getting chopped off or anything but there has been a surprising lack of that in this world. And I don't understand how you don't beat the hell out of the dudes that saw the zombies and just straight dropped a giant log on your ass. Have some composure man!

Also, Enid is a doctor now? Whut?
  • Enid’s been apprenticing under Siddiq, I assume, for the length of the time jump. Only makes sense that he would train other people. 
    Yeah, it makes sense to have a backup doctor/medic but it just felt odd that she was suddenly that person. (If they showed that last season, I completely forgot, my apologies) Like last week when she was attacked and hit her head and then was in a wheelchair with no explanation. And now she is fine. I enjoy that they have the confidence to show and not tell every little thing but every once in a while when a show does that, I kinda wish they had for certain things. But, you can't have it both ways so I should stop complaining! Ha
    edited October 16
    Godamnit @A_Ron_Hubbard now I have to watch another episode of this garbage show. I refuse to catch up on the previous two episodes so we’ll see how well the third episode holds up with no prior context for the season. 
    telephoneofmadness
    edited October 16
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-walking-dead-just-had-its-worst-ratings-ever-1829785539
    And the award for least surprising development in television this week goes to....

Wonder how AMC feels about those 10 more seasons right about now. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • This means they’re going to to hype-up the upcoming “Rick dies this week, please oh please come back and give us another chance!” episode, thus removing any uncertainty about when it will happen other than on or before the mid season finale.

They’re apparently writing Maggie off without killing her to keep the door open for a comeback, but that means there will be little excitement about that event as it will just be some kind of sappy retrospective with a long tearful goodbye.

You reap what you sow, and they’ve sowed a lot of apathy toward the property over the last several years.