The Haunting of Hill House

Five episodes in. Shit this is one dark show. A bit too tropey in some aspects for me but otherwise good acting, story, and set design. 

Episode 5 is some fucked up shit though. Didn't see that coming. 
cdriverhcoopElisamjmulladyken hale

Comments

• Dude. Ep 6 is incredible.
    ElisaTxSandMan
  • Boys need to cover this one
    DancesWithWookiesElisa
  • Yeah I really think they should, specially considering its October and all.
    rhcoopElisa
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    It's been a lot stronger than I expected.  I was worried it would have the typical Netflix mid season meandering episodes, but I've been happy with it. 
    Elisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    We binged all 10 episodes this weekend. Surprisingly emotional, scary, creepy, and all around good story telling. Wife and I both loved it.

Anyone writing this one off as just a horror show and not watching is really missing out.
    Elisamjmullady
    Also, as a completely rational human, we slept with the door to the hallway closed this weekend and I hugged my 4 year old little girl and let her sleep in our room Saturday night.
    mjmulladysaraej319
  • Damn, y’all beat me to it! 
    Excellent show, and I hate jump scare shows. yeah I hide under the blanket.
    5 episodes in.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I’m taking it slow because I’m a scaredy-cat but loving the show so far. The psychological perspective, the processing of grief and the effect and focus on the children, even as adult children, is really well done. 
  • I sorta half saw this in the netflix stream and thought it was some other dumb "haunting" movie, of which countless have been made over the last decade.

Will have to check it out
    Elisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Checked out the first episode last night after hearing mostly amazing things. I really loved the pacing. Especially the ratio of family drama-to-horror. Some really great story-telling.
    Elisa
  • Pavkey88Pavkey88 Florida, the home of beautiful beaches and meth addicted face-eaters
    Just finished the series last night and was bummed about how it ended. No spoilers but it was so strong until the last episode. Curious if anyone else felt the same way
    The ultimate ending was just kind of predictable. The twists in the story telling and how it got to that point throughout the finale episode I thought were strong.

I didnt really have a problem with the predictability, because if I predicted it, then it made sense to me as how it should go down.
    edited October 17
    Oh yeah, I just watched the 1999 remake of The Haunting, based on the 1963 movie The Haunting, which was based on the book titled The Haunting of Hill House.

The 1999 version with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Lili Taylor, and Owen Wilson is... is.. well, it is still a horrific movie that had almost no actual scares and a bad script. The names in the movie are the same as names in the Netflix series, and the house looks similar, but that's where the comparisons stop.

• rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Pavkey88 said:
    Just finished the series last night and was bummed about how it ended. No spoilers but it was so strong until the last episode. Curious if anyone else felt the same way
    I enjoyed the show, but I agree, the last episode didn't have a ton of juice for me.  I just thought the end was kind of there.

The ride getting there was great, but it ended with more of a whimper for me. 
  • I just finished it and thought the show was incredible, one of the best of 2018. Was not disappointed with the finale, my guess was wrong lol. Sad that its over now :(

The acting was spectacular though. The only thing I didnt like was the dads incredibly blue freaky eyes. What was up with that???
    Elisa
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    edited October 19
    I watched the first episode thinking it was a movie, and thought he production and acting were great, but the pacing was just sooo sloowww. And then I was confused at the ending. That's it? I guess that's an ending.

Then the prompt comes on to play the next episode. 

I'm an idiot.
  • Through five episodes and this is some dark stuff.  It really evokes emotion. Looking forward to the last five episodes.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Just finished episode 5. Not sure how I’m to interpret that ending. I know what was shown but I don’t know how to fit it in with what the other characters have seen. 

Was a little unsure after episode 2, but if it holds steady from here it might be the best Netflix show yet outside of Stranger Things. 

Elisa
    Rotten Tomatoes just posted this:

HEAR US OUT: THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE EPISODE 6 MIGHT BE THIS YEAR'S BEST HORROR MOVIE

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/hear-us-out-the-haunting-of-hill-house-episode-6-might-be-this-years-best-horror-movie/
    Elisa
  • I can’t stop hearing the Winterfell Theme when they play that soft melodic music in each episode 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Finished it tonight finally. That may be one of the single best seasons of television I've seen. It doesn't replace the Leftovers, but it's certainly top 5 material.

I've seen a lot of horror related things and I've never been this emotionally invested in the characters. Every single one of them.
    All the ChickensElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited October 21
    Just saw the pilot... I really want to watch the non-horror version of this. Creepy, just no jump scares. I hope the show backs off of jump scares...
    ken hale
  • It’s basically the horror version of This Is Us
    KellyAnneBMoonMan13ElisaHanaHeat1
    Real question: Does anyone actually enjoy jump scares? I dislike them before, during and after... But they had to come from somewhere well-intentioned. Maybe they only work in group settings, like, you are entertained by other people getting scared.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    JaimieT said:
    Real question: Does anyone actually enjoy jump scares? I dislike them before, during and after... But they had to come from somewhere well-intentioned. Maybe they only work in group settings, like, you are entertained by other people getting scared.
    I like jump scares. In a crowded theater, they are entertaining and solo I enjoy the thrill of them.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I think jump scares are ok when they aren't clearly for the camera. There's been a few movies the last decade or so where it's clear the ghost thing is screaming at the camera, not the characters.
    I think jump scares are ok when they aren't clearly for the camera. There's been a few movies the last decade or so where it's clear the ghost thing is screaming at the camera, not the characters.

That's a good distinction. I think the reason I don't like them is they take me out of the movie/show, and the reason I'm especially annoyed with them right now is because this show is (1) poignant and (2) more of a time investment than I've ever given jump scares.
    gguenot
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Having finished this show, I feel like they did a really good job of balancing the jump scares with building tension.  There was much more atmospheric tension created by things hidden in the background and out of focus than there were traditional jump scares.  Most of the jump scares that do exist felt like they had been earned and were played to the characters.  
    gguenotElisa
    I'm halfway through episode 7 (the trick to stop bingeing a good show is to stop in the middles) and I have to say... this show started out with 20 jump scares an episode and now there's like, two.
    MattyWeavesgguenot
  • Break neck lady was a solid episode, same with ep. 6
    JaimieTElisa