Indiana jones trilogy

What does everyone think about these films? I recently rewatched temple of doom, it was always my least favorite growing up, but I watched it by itself recently without rewatching Raiders first, and I found myself really enjoying it, and not as dark as I remember, and definitely not the step down I always imagined.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    You say "trilogy" because there never was a fourth one, right? That is the lie we have agreed upon? Temple of Doom when viewed in a vacuum is not bad at all. Canonically it is a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. And if viewed as such, it is perfectly fine pulpy fun. But Raiders is clearly the better film (to me). 
    mjmullady
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited October 15
    Yeah, Raiders is by far my favorite, it’s in my top 10 of all time, but I’ve heard of TOD as a huge step down from Raiders, and I no longer agree w/ that. I’m ignoring the fourth film, because I don’t believe it’s anyone’s favorite. If it is anyone’s favorite, I’d love to hear about that.
  • edited October 15

One of my favorite lines comes out of Last Crusade-

"you lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMV2ud3uypU

seanrayFreddyJovial_Falcon
  • I recently rewatched these because I found one of those “movie by minute” podcasts on them. Solid action/adventure movies all around. Raiders is obviously superior but TOD and LC held up well on revisit. 
  • If anyone is interested, the Blu-ray and dvd collections have a hell of a bonus disc of 20-30 minute behind the scenes documentary of all 3 films, it’s great hearing from Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford about how the films came to be (esp. Raiders)
    Jovial_Falcon
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I recently rewatched these because I found one of those “movie by minute” podcasts on them. Solid action/adventure movies all around. Raiders is obviously superior but TOD and LC held up well on revisit. 
     I think it is worth noting that many people find TOD at the very least to have an unfair characterization of Indian culture. 

I will say for me personally, I rewatch the three movies fairly regularly.  LC may be my favorite of the three.  Im unsure how hot that take is.   Less hot than the Temple of Doom perhaps?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 15
    Oh there’s some straight up racism in all three movies. TOD is just the most obvious about it.  For example, John Rhys-Davies playing Sallah. 
    groovydooley
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I love all three. I watch them often. Temple of Doom is my favorite hands down.
    groovydooley
  • russkelly said:
    I love all three. I watch them often. Temple of Doom is my favorite hands down.
    Hands down?   That take is so hot this thread is on fire!
    russkelly
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @Alkaid13 it wasn't straight up racism in these movies it was just movies in the 80's, they always cast people in roles that didn't match their ethnicity. Gandhi was played by a white British dude, there are 2 Hispanics in all of Scarface (F.Murray Abraham played a guy called Omar Suarez), Willem Defoe playing Jesus and Sean Connery as Russian Sub Captain. 

Whilst there are definitely some racist elements in all 3-4 movies depending on if you want to acknowledge the existence of Kingdom I don't think the casting is one it was just a case of being from that time. It doesn't excuse it but we also know it wouldn't happen now but then again Johnny Depp was cast as Tonto, Liam Neeson as Ra's  Al Ghul, Jake Gyllenhaal as the Prince of Persia and basically any biblical casting like Russell Crowe in Noah or anything in Exodus: Gods and Kings so maybe Hollywood hasn't fixed itself up. 
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    T.O.D is probably the one I have watched the most as we had it on tape as a kid but I would stop on any of the movies including K.O.T.C.S if they were just on TV. I love the series and whilst in retrospect are all maybe 15-20 mins too long i wouldn't cut too much out of them. 

I think the biggest issue with K.O.T.C.S is that no one really needed the film, I mean it still has a 77% on Rotten Tomatoes so it cant be that bad. Raiders is the best movie but i think Last Crusade is the funniest of the series but probably because there is a lot more slapstick in that movie
    russkelly
  • davemcb said:
    I think the biggest issue with K.O.T.C.S is that no one really needed the film, I mean it still has a 77% on Rotten Tomatoes so it cant be that bad.
    Never have I seen better evidence against the significance of a Rotten Tomato score.