Did anyone watch The Connors? (No spoilers from me but if people want to get into it, we can)

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
I was always a fan of the show Roseanne. John Goodman is practically a saint in my eyes and Laurie Metcalf is also amazing. Roseanne's return earlier this year was alright. It still had a lot of the great characters  I've always loved but something about it just didn't feel right. The first few episodes were rough but by the end I do feel like they were hitting their stride.

And of course we all know what happened next.

So when The Conners returned, I was kind of excited to watch just to see how they handle it. Like the proverbial car crash you just can't look away from. And I think they handled it, surprisingly well. They actually took it in a direction that I didn't think they would. The aforementioned John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf gave great performances. (Although I will say that John Goodman, while fantastically trim, is looking very, very old. Something about the way he moves, I don't know) And Sara Gilbert did a lot of heavy lifting this episode too. I thought she was great.

But now that I've seen this episode and the handling of Roseanne's character, I don't know if I'm going to stick around.
russkellyMichelle

Comments

• It was intriguing and nuanced in its approach. Clearly the Darlene character (the natural successor to Roseanne in terms of being just like her but being slightly more responsible and mature) and Dan (John Goodman the most distinguished actor on the show) are set to take the reins. It’s similar to what the Walking Dead is doing with Andrew Lincoln the only difference being that show isn’t called the Rick Grimes Show. 

I watched it and I confess I didn’t hate it. Political discussion is suppose to be omitted now due to the abscence of Roseanne (yawn, that was what make it unique to me) but social commentary on issues is still prevelant. I could see the show succeeding assuming it’s core audience doesn’t feel spited by the political discourse surrounding Roseanne’s departure. 
    MurderbearMichelle
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I just watched it. I liked it. I agree with you, Murderbear, about Dan and Jacky. I thought the exchange between Dan and Marcy Bellinger was really great. I think I can like this show.
    MurderbearMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It was as good as it could have been. It’s not anywhere near as good as Roseanne (the show) was, and there’s a huge hole where Roseanne (the character) was. It wasn’t bad, it was just there. 

Roseanne’s (the actress) statement about it was stupid - it was too grim, it should be a happy family show. Wtf? Roseanne was a trailblazing show when it came to addressing serious issues (anyone remember when Fisher was beating up Jackie?). I think it’s very fitting that they would have the character die the way she did, and it also ties in with the season last year that was setting up a story about opioid addiction. 
    MichelleMurderbearrusskelly