Happy 10/17 to the Canadians out there

edited October 17 in General
To those who don't know, Canada has legalized marijuana across the country today. 30 grams are allowed on any person over the provincial age limit. It can be consumed in any legally designated place. As well as 2 plants are allowed per household.

I'm from Saskatchewan which is one of the more conservative areas of the country and here it has been met with some grumbles. However I think a lot of the concern has been the cause of misinformation and the fear of losing traditions. There is some legitimate concern over impaired driving. This province does have unfortunately high drunk driving rates. I'm not sure if legalizing marijuana will affect the amount of people who smoke and drive already though. 

Any thoughts, concerns, celebration plans?

Travis

Comments

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I don't smoke, but I don't really think it's a big deal. It was extremely easy to get before today, and you weren't going to get in trouble for it unless you were already a sketchy person. And I'm pretty sure I read that the price is going to be higher and the new Quebec doofus wants to raise the age to 21.

Hopefully, they make enough in taxes to start to balance out the massive debt that's coming to Alberta with the Olympic bid.
  • Hunkulese said:
    I don't smoke, but I don't really think it's a big deal. It was extremely easy to get before today, and you weren't going to get in trouble for it unless you were already a sketchy person. And I'm pretty sure I read that the price is going to be higher and the new Quebec doofus wants to raise the age to 21.

Hopefully, they make enough in taxes to start to balance out the massive debt that's coming to Alberta with the Olympic bid.
    21? Wow. Do you think that will actually happen?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 17
    Sounds like another example in which the Canadians have once again beaten us to the punch of meaningful progress. Meanwhile, our Attorney General continues his inane crusade against the devil drug that is marijuana. 
  • Hunkulese said:

Or if the police didn't like you. Or, if the department was racist, if you were a minority. Or if they wanted an excuse to stop and search you. Or if you'd previously been convicted of a crime.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    asmallcat said:
    Hunkulese said:

Or if the police didn't like you. Or, if the department was racist, if you were a minority. Or if they wanted an excuse to stop and search you. Or if you'd previously been convicted of a crime.
    Whether weed is legal or not isn't going to change any of that.