This Is Us- Season 3

Since there was a thread on Season 2 and didn't see a thread about the current season, figured I'd start one.

Thoughts so far on this season?

For me, I've been enjoying it so far.  It was interesting to watch nothing but a Jack episode in going to Vietnam and watching how they made Jack's father become a "bad" dad because of alcohol (or at least, that seem to be the interpretation from showing Jack's dad at the hospital saying that he doesn't drink). 

Also, because it's tv world, do we think that Kate is going to a) get pregnant and if so, b) have a successful pregnancy and her and Toby will have a baby?

For Kevin, I'm not really sure why they have him kind of flipping out about not knowing about his dad's time in Vietnam.  As a young child, you're probably not going to ask and maybe when you're in high school and studying about the war, then you might ask but it's also possible that you don't really think or care to ask.  And then with Jack dying so young, it's not like Kevin could have talked about it with Jack when they're both adults.  So, i don't think it's that weird that he doesn't know anything about Jack's time in Vietnam.  If anything, Kevin should be able to go to his mom and ask her what Jack told her because even though Jack didn't like to talk about it, at some point in their marriage, they probably did eventually or should have talked about his time there.  But if they never did, i could kind of understand that.

And now that Beth got fired and Randall doesn't have a job, exactly what is their source of income?  Did Randall get like a years pay as part of a severance package or something?  Just seems like they live an upscale lifestyle and not sure how they can really afford to do so with no apparent income (unless the show goes the Friends route and just doesn't feel the need to address it).

Comments

• edited October 2018
    I’m also enjoying this season. It’s not so much a giant cry fest every week and it’s still holding strong as one of my current favorite network shows. 

I think Kate will get pregnant and have a baby. If she survives the pregnancy seems up in the air to me. With the flash forward of Randall calling Toby looking super depressed and not wearing his wedding ring I believe they do have a baby and that is why Toby would still be in contract with Randall even if he and Kate are no longer married. And because it’s This Is Us Kate would absolutely be dead not divorced from Toby in the flash forwards. 

I think Kevin flipping out about not knowing about his father’s time in Vietnam is basically a reminder to people there is no set time limit on grief. You can think you have moved on and everything’s going great and then one day BAM!!! Back to square one with something else and your grief over the loss of that person. It can be something big like being asked about something you didn’t know about that person or the series finally of a show you and the departed both loved and that hole is open once again. I got my dad into watching Scandal. After he passed away I found it hard to watch the first few episodes of the first season he wasn’t alive for. Then when the show go canceled it took me three attempts to watch the finally because it was like ending a chapter of my life I shared with him. Grief is a funny bitch sometimes. 

Randall and Beth are definitely going the Friends route as far as income goes. That or if Randall really is going to run for a city council seat in the district where his biological father lived maybe they have to move there so they live in the district? But I think the show is going to ignore both of those aspects, he’s gonna still live in the suburbs and somehow not foreclose on his house while having no income to speak of and get s city councilman seat in a district he doesn’t reside in. 
  • I'm also enjoying it so far. I started the thread for season 2 last year and many commenters seemed to have kind of soured on the show so I wondered about a season 3 thread. But yay, I'm not the only one who still likes This Is Us!
    While it definitely doesn't have the emotional impact of season 1, I realize that keeping that up would be impossible, and also improbable - not even the Pearsons have *that* much drama going on. But it was such a strong start that I guess I'll always be interested in the characters.

I'm not too worried about the money issue until the show tells me it's an issue. And with a Hollywood star in the family I don't think it should be (though Randall might be too proud to take money from Kevin).

Normally I'd say the show doesn't have the guts to kill off one of the triplets, but with so many flashbacks it's doubtful we'd ever get completely rid of them. Somehow I still don't think Kate is dead in the future. I can't wait to find out who they're going to see in the flashforward, it really could be anyone, but if I had to bet I'd say Rebecca.
  • The show definitely could not sustain the drama that it had in the 1st season but i think they're kind of trying to go that route with diving into Jack's time in the Vietnam war.  We'll see.  We obviously know that Nick dies, just a matter of how and if Jack could have saved him or not.

I don't seem to recall that i was bitter about Season 2.  I know the way they killed Jack off was kind of dumb (or mainly that the hospital was grossly incompetent which can happen but seems doubtful) and I think some of the characters were getting annoying but I still think overall i enjoyed the season (although could just go back and check the thread for my comments and see, maybe enough time passed where i just forgot too much, :) ).

For this season, i'm not sure they kill off any of the big 3.  But with flashbacks and such, they've shown a way to get around that and such.

Also, I really enjoyed Beth's comments about her and Miguel having a txt thread talking about the family.  That's actually very true to life.

As for Randall living out of district, maybe because he owns property in that area, that's how they can get around that. 

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Let me start by saying I’m a big fan of the show. But I am not a fan of the latest episode. An entire hour on Vietnam knowing it won’t be done as artfully as a Deer Hunter, for example, meant it was very cliche. And yes there was two interesting reveals - drunk grandpa and meek brother - that did not require an entire episode to tell. But the most important reveal for me is that Jack can’t carry an entire show. He is an ensemble actor. 
  • edited October 2018
    So this is weird...my wife watches this show. Being a tv snob, I wanted nothing to do with a network show. Been disappointed by all of them since Lost. I saw something about a Vietnam episode somewhere, and was intrigued. The Emmys intrigued me. The actors...

So I watched the Vietnam episode with my wife, and I was impressed. Didn’t really know the premise, and was expecting some kind of melodrama, but found the whole thing well done. 

So so I watched the pilot, and it was damn good. I still have a few ideas where some of the cracks may be. When I get caught up, I'll be interested to see what others' criticisms might be. 
    DeeMichelleJTKIII
  • edited October 2018

@rkcrawf, that's interesting that you picked up the show from the Vietnam episode.  Mainly because that episode didn't feature the other main characters.  I think the first season is excellent so hope you enjoy what you see.

As for this past episode, I found it interesting to see how Kevin's relationship with Zoe and her figuring out if she really wanted to date a white guy but at the same point, you can tell that he cares about her.  Was happy that Kate got pregnant but then also thought that her getting pregnant is big but her actually being able to carry the pregnancy out is the real challenge because we already saw her have a miscarriage.  As for Randall, was glad that we got the scene with him and the restaurant owner.  Thought it was just going to be a "you're not one of us" as oppose to "we owe this guy our livelihood so we'll never turn against him".  Lastly, when they showed the scene of Jack and Miguel, I really thought Miguel was going to talk Jack out of signing up for life insurance and that's why he felt obligated to help because of guilt of knowing that life insurance would have helped out the family.  But instead, it was more about just being a good friend.

• I’m guessing I should have stopped reading after the first paragraph? @dochielomn
  • Yeah, probably.  But since you picked up the show in the middle of the season (even if it was only about Jack in Vietnam) and this thread is labeled about season 3.  Apologies for any spoilers.
  • giardinellogiardinello Long Island, NY
    edited October 2018
    rkcrawf said:
    So this is weird...my wife watches this show. Being a tv snob, I wanted nothing to do with a network show. Been disappointed by all of them since Lost. I saw something about a Vietnam episode somewhere, and was intrigued. The Emmys intrigued me. The actors...

So I watched the Vietnam episode with my wife, and I was impressed. Didn’t really know the premise, and was expecting some kind of melodrama, but found the whole thing well done. 

So so I watched the pilot, and it was damn good. I still have a few ideas where some of the cracks may be. When I get caught up, I'll be interested to see what others' criticisms might be. 
    You sound exactly how I felt before ever watching This Is Us. A network TV drama? No thanks.

It was around this this time last year, my cousin kept talking about the show and I was in a Hulu free trial. I decided to give it a shot.

I watched the entire first season and maybe half of the second season. It was far better than I expected. It still has a corny feel to it, but I still liked it for what it was. 

I was also really interested to find out how Jack died, which is what kept me pushing through season 2. Then after the episode aired, it got spoiled the next day by two idiots talking about it in my office. That really turned me off and I also thought it sounded pretty stupid (the big tragic cause of death being caused by a crockpot?). Granted, I haven’t watched the episode, so take my words with a grain of salt. 

Since then, I just haven’t found the time (I technically have time, but there’s a ton of great TV out there) nor been in the mood to revisit the Pearson’s. 

So that’s my This Is Us experience. If you’re a fan of This Is Us, I can almost guarantee that you’ll also like The Haunting of Hill House. The family-centered storytelling, coupled with contextual flashbacks, makes it feel similar. Hill House is technically in the horror genre, but it’s so much more than that. I actually see the horror element of the show as being an allegory for a family dealing with trauma, whether internal (e.g. mental illness) or external. Hill House was the surprise show of the year for me —came out of nowhere with no fanfare, but turned out to be amazing. 
    TaraC73rkcrawf
  • I was also really interested to find out how Jack died, which is what kept me pushing through season 2. Then after the episode aired, it got spoiled the next day by two idiots talking about it in my office. That really turned me off and I also thought it sounded pretty stupid (the big tragic cause of death being caused by a crockpot?). Granted, I haven’t watched the episode, so take my words with a grain of salt. 

@giardinello, the crockpot is just part of it.  The blame really lies with the hospital and the EMTs that treated him right away.  Basically, his death should have been totally preventable and guaranteed that in today's time, the Pearsons would have sued the hospital and gotten good chunk of change for Jack's death.
    TaraC73
  • So, with the winter finale done, are we to believe that Nick intentionally faked his death?  Or was it something that just happened for real and then he decided to use it as an escape?  Either way, I'm not a fan of Nick still being alive.  Mainly because if he did die and the army thought he died, then wouldn't they have sent something official to the Pearson's house announcing that Nick was KIA?  Or is the story going to be that Nick was never actually confirmed dead but everyone just thought he was but he was only listed as MIA?  Just seems a little too convoluted.

Also, I'm not sure how every college works, but i thought credits expire after awhile (usually after 4 ot 5 years)?  At least they did in the college I went to.  So, is Kate taking a class or two to graduate or is she starting all over from the beginning?

Also, not a fan of Randall sleeping on the couch.  I get that his wife wants him to quit and that he's going back on his word, but seriously, they're in that big of a fight now because of this?

Still enjoying the season though, :)

• So, with the winter finale done, are we to believe that Nick intentionally faked his death?  Or was it something that just happened for real and then he decided to use it as an escape?  Either way, I'm not a fan of Nick still being alive.  Mainly because if he did die and the army thought he died, then wouldn't they have sent something official to the Pearson's house announcing that Nick was KIA?  Or is the story going to be that Nick was never actually confirmed dead but everyone just thought he was but he was only listed as MIA?  Just seems a little too convoluted.

Also, I'm not sure how every college works, but i thought credits expire after awhile (usually after 4 ot 5 years)?  At least they did in the college I went to.  So, is Kate taking a class or two to graduate or is she starting all over from the beginning?

Also, not a fan of Randall sleeping on the couch.  I get that his wife wants him to quit and that he's going back on his word, but seriously, they're in that big of a fight now because of this?

Still enjoying the season though, :)

I had a feeling that nick wasn’t going to be dead or something major similar to that was going to come out of this. As for the logistics I don’t think that matters. We should just assume(until further shown) that jack knows, his parents knew and then he told the lie to Rebecca who didn’t push a dead son thing on jacks parents when jack refused to talk about it. Also as far as we know she rarely if ever went and met jacks parents. We know that he dad was mostly out of the picture I forget about what happens with the mom.

For Kate I think the show is just going to ask us to overlook credits expiring. She needs something to do to make her feel good before this pregnancy either kills her or some how divides her and Toby.

For Beth and Randall I agree with him being on he couch as weird. I would have liked to see the fight if it was going to end up there. She was clearly upset that he wasn’t quitting but to have no discussion about it and then have him on the couch seemed out of place. It also seems like they tried to shove the they are divorced in the future thing but I have a feeling that it was just shot like that to feel shocking. Having your daughter call your wife when you are on your way somewhere isn’t that weird. 
  • I had a feeling that nick wasn’t going to be dead or something major similar to that was going to come out of this. As for the logistics I don’t think that matters. We should just assume(until further shown) that jack knows, his parents knew and then he told the lie to Rebecca who didn’t push a dead son thing on jacks parents when jack refused to talk about it. Also as far as we know she rarely if ever went and met jacks parents. We know that he dad was mostly out of the picture I forget about what happens with the mom.

For Kate I think the show is just going to ask us to overlook credits expiring. She needs something to do to make her feel good before this pregnancy either kills her or some how divides her and Toby.

For Beth and Randall I agree with him being on he couch as weird. I would have liked to see the fight if it was going to end up there. She was clearly upset that he wasn’t quitting but to have no discussion about it and then have him on the couch seemed out of place. It also seems like they tried to shove the they are divorced in the future thing but I have a feeling that it was just shot like that to feel shocking. Having your daughter call your wife when you are on your way somewhere isn’t that weird. 

I thought there was a scene where the dad made a remark about how Jack had 1 job (to protect his brother) and failed.  Presuming that it meant that since Nick died in Vietnam, that it helped divide the family even more.  It also seems very out of character if Jack knows that his brother is secretly alive but doesn't try to have a relationship with him.  Jack doesn't seem the type to just let it go and leave his brother be.  So, I have to think that Jack really thinks that Nick is dead and that's why he doesn't want to talk about it.  But obviously, i could be wrong.

Yeah, i get that with Kate.  Was just asking because i had a friend in college who was taking so long to finish that his credits from freshmen year were starting to expire so i think he actually didn't end up graduating partially because of that (or at least, that didn't help him with trying to graduate).

Beth and Randall just seem to escalate really fast.  There's argument/fight and then there's a real divide.  For all of the stuff we've seen them go through, to force him to the couch just seemed a little too quick.  And yeah, i do agree, I wouldn't be surprised if they are not divorced in the future and this was just an intentional attempt at swerving the audience.  Or at least, Randall doesn't seem the type that would sacrifice his marriage and him and Beth do seem like they legitimately do love each other.  We'll see i suppose.

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2018
    I've been super deep into this season and not posting much about it, but now that we've hit the midseason finale I must say, WOW.  This show is just unbelievable in the best way possible.  Kevin's storyline is so well written and so beautifully shot.  And I love the other storylines that are being explored:  Nick and PTSD, the horrors of war, social justice and Randall's desire to effect change in William's old community, Kate and Toby and their fertility struggles and their IVF and subsequent pregnancy (which I am hesitantly nervous about), and last but definitely not least, Tess' coming out to Kate, her grandmother (although Kate told Rebecca, that one wasn't Tess' doing), and then to her parents - which, I was so impressed with the writing of that scene and how touchingly it was performed by all involved.  

I'm dying for January and can't wait for Kevin to find Nick!

Re: Beth and Randall - this show has never been one to show us exactly what is happening when we hit a cliffhanger or something similar.  It's always a misdirect.  Remember how we all theorized about how Jack died, and it ended up being something no one expected?   I don't think that Beth and Randall are divorced in the flash forward.  @Duckofdoom and @dochielomn are right that having Randall sleep on the couch seemed out of character for the two.  I get Beth feeling like she needs some support with Deja's and Tess' situations, but Randall can run for council *and* provide support at home.  She had even super recently been ride or die with Randall's council run, but now all of a sudden, after what turned into a successful debate (despite early polls), she wants him to drop out and disappoint an entire community?  That's not the Beth that we know.  I'm not really on board with this at all and I have to say, I'm #teamrandall on this.

I do think that the 'her' that they are going to see in the flash forward is definitely Rebecca, as Beth said ("we're all going to see Randall's mother"), but I think that the Pin the Tail on the Donkey game is the key clue here to why they're going to see her.  It's just such a random thing to throw in that it has to be significant.  We know per flashbacks that the Big 3 played it at their birthday when they were younger.  Maybe it's Rebecca's birthday?  Maybe, because she's already in her 60s in the present timeline - which would make her in her mid-but-probably-late 70s in the flash forward - she's experiencing dementia or Alzheimers and they are trying to trigger memories with her.  At the same time, that doesn't explain Toby alone in bed with no wedding ring on when Randall called him at that time.  Maybe something horrible and tragic happened to Kate and she lost her memory, so they're using the game to trigger memories with Kate.  That would explain why Tess said "I'm not ready to see her" when Randall picked her up and asked if she was ready to go.  Tess and Kate have started to form quite the bond lately.  I don't know, but again - misdirects.  It really could be anything and is probably nothing that any of us have been theorizing on.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    @Michelle, not sure if I should say it, but since the thread is spoilers abound, it has been confirmed by post mid-season finale interviews that the "her" they are going to see is Rebecca.

Oh, and I had the exact same thought as you in regards to the pin the tail on the donkey game and using it to trigger memories for Rebecca because she had dementia or Alzheimers!  It would be a pretty poignant twist for a main character of a show based on flashbacks that can now no longer access old memories :(

As far as Kate and Toby in the flashforward, although it would be so sad, I'm thinking that they successfully have the baby, but then maybe end up losing the child when it's very young which ultimately leads to their divorce.  However, Toby would still be like part of the family, hence the call to go along to visit Rebecca but he is no longer married to or lives with Kate.
    Michelle
  • A little over a month after starting, I’m caught up!!! It’s funny that the last network show I watched was Lost. The only other person I could see as playing Jack Shepherd is Milo. 

Anyway, a pretty good show. It hits a lot of emotional touchstones for me, even though I feel like the writers take some ridiculous left turns with no foreshadowing. For me, it’s somewhere between great TV and a guilty pleasure. Like Hall and Oates. 
    Michelle
  • This last episode! Wow. It was the first one since I can't remember when that made me cry. Kevin used to annoy the hell out of me and now he's probably my favorite. It was so well edited at the end when little Kevin got the "a child either repeats his fathers mistakes or corrects them", and then adult Kevin turned to go back to Nicky. Full waterworks here.
    Michelle
    Oh!  I was just coming to the forums to see if anyone had revived this thread after last night's episode!  Oh man, I cried!  I love the change in Kevin - he's truly taking the lessons that Jack taught him all those years ago and making something of them.  And I love when he turned left toward Bradford rather than going home and leaving Uncle Nicky alone in his own misery like Jack did all those years ago.  And his hand on Nicky's shoulder at the end - something Jack never did, the comfort of family saying "we got you, we're here for you, we care".  

What really made me cry was seeing young Jack and Nicky walking down the trail to go fishing, Nicky talking about all of his hopes and dreams for his future - and seeing how totally opposite to those his actual future became, from one accident.  

Speaking of the accident - I really felt for him, and seeing the boy's mother crumple onto the beach, wailing in sorrow, just was so awful.  He really made a severe lapse in judgement, because he never should have had that boy around those grenades in the first place.  Also, why didn't he grab the boy and jump off the boat with him rather than yell at him to get off the boat, knowing the boy didn't understand English?   Severe lack of judgement, a mistake he is paying for for the rest of his life, one that has sunk him to his lowest of lows.

I can't wait to see Nicky back home with the family, cleaned up - haircut, shaved or trimmed beard, better clothes, away from that trailer of self-hatred.  I'm so glad they reached him before he did something with that gun.
    Reni
    I love the aftershows that they do.  Here's the aftershow for last night's episode:

• Finally got around to catching up.  Definitely a good episode.  @Michelle, you're correct, Nicky really should have just grabbed the kicked or knocked him into the water to get off the boat.  But alas, he didn't and the poor kid didn't get what was happening (although, who goes fishing using grenades?).

I wasn't a big fan of Jack driving all the way to see his brother only to just leave him there and not hear his brother out.  I can get Jack saying how he didn't want to go back, but at times, you need to listen to someone else if they feel the need to talk.  What I don't quite get is, do Jack's parents know that Nicky is still alive?  They would have had to, right?  Because it seemed like in some other flashbacks, they acted like Nicky actually did die in the war as oppose to just being psychologically/emotionally messed up from it.

The previews for this week episode seemed a little weird as it appeared to me that Rebecca had some hostility towards Nicky or was acting very serious in that "we need to talk" manor.

• Was anyone else half expecting that when Kate walks into Kevin's hotel room and sees the alcohol that she would let loose a classic "nnnnnnooooooooo!"

Had to laugh at Randall at telling Beth to let go of her dream and that she exactly pointed out that he gets to keep his.  Also had to laugh that Randall seem to complaining about the cost of a babysitter but next thing you know he's able to jump on flight across the country last minute (guessing that can't be cheap).  Also, props to the magic powers of tv traveling that Randall can immediately find a cross country flight (assuming non-stop) and get to Kate's hospital after only 10 hours.

Lastly, i felt really bad for the guy that asked out Rebecca (selling her the new video camera recorder).  Mainly because the look she shot him after he suggested coffee was like that if he had just gruesomely violated her.  I know it was more of shock to her because she either a) wasn't ready to date or b) never even considered the notion of dating again, but still, it was an innocent request on the guy's part.

I am so not team Randall with this one.  He should have had open dialogue with Beth about them both finding a solution, not claiming that she give up on teaching dance.  It was selfish and insensitive for him to do so.  I have to wonder if they're divorced in the flash forwards that we've been seeing.

I've been pondering what will happen with Kate and the baby.  In a recent interview (can't cite direct link - I read this info secondhand), she had said that this storyline is something that will not have been explored on network tv before.  Some people have speculated that her baby will have Downs Syndrome, but that was done on Life Goes On (not with the child as a baby though).  We see in the preview for next week that the doctor tells the family that the longer the baby stays inside to develop, the better and also, Toby tells the family that Kate's just been taken into emergency surgery.  He doesn't say in the preview what it's for though, so it could maybe not be for a c-section but for something else.  I've been wondering if maybe she goes into a coma during or after surgery and they keep her on life support, and decide to allow the baby to continue to develop in her womb while she's in her coma.   Another possibility is that she has the baby via c-section but since it's so early (8 weeks early), the baby is in the neonatal ICU for an undetermined amount of time.  In the flash forward, when Randall calls Toby, Toby is in bed alone with no wedding ring, and the opposite side of the bed is still nicely made - so, no Kate.  Either they're divorced, or she's passed, or she's in a coma and on life support at the hospital.   I mean, it could really be anything.  

I definitely think Zoe will find out about Kevin's relapse and will leave him.  I don't know if this separates them for good though.  I really hope he gets back to meetings though.  I have to say, I love that they've taken this narcissistic character from the first season and have given him such complex emotions and insecurities and real issues to deal with.   And I hope we haven't seen the last of Nicky.

Lastly - Mandy Moore's portrayal of Rebecca's raw grief in this past episode was heart-wrenching.  Seeing her really show that emotion all over her face, not being able to breathe, just losing it - I wanted to cry right along with her.   And the guy who hit on her at the electronics store was not right to ask her out at that time.  It had only been 4 months since Jack had died, and he even said "I've been meaning to reach out" - so then you ask her out when she's buying a video camera so she can film her kids' graduations on a day that she'd naturally be emotionally imbalanced?  Dude, wrong place wrong time.

Really looking forward to Tuesday night.
    Reni
  • Best line of the last episode is when Toby finally came out and said that Kate asked to see Miguel first.  Had to pause and almost fell off the couch from laughter.

I kind of call BS with all of the waiting that was going on with no info.  Either something was happening with Kate or it wasn't.  If nothing is happening, then at the very least, Toby could have been texting the family some updates, if not, the family could have been in the room with Kate (or at least one of them).

I also was guessing that something was going to happen to Rebecca.  Thought maybe she was going to do down or something since they kept commenting on how she wasn't eating and then she was feeling light headed.

Lastly, the problem with Miguel's chocolate or ranch game is it's totally subjective.  For instance, i could throw out strawberries and obviously the answer is chocolate.  But maybe there are people out there that love chocolate but think the combination of chocolate on strawberries is totally disgusting. 

Michelle
    @dochielomn did you make the connection between Rebecca not eating and her being in her feelings about her memories of being in the waiting room when she took Jack in after the fire?  She went to the vending machine to get that candy bar and that's when she lost him.