This Is Us- Season 3

Since there was a thread on Season 2 and didn't see a thread about the current season, figured I'd start one.

Thoughts so far on this season?

For me, I've been enjoying it so far.  It was interesting to watch nothing but a Jack episode in going to Vietnam and watching how they made Jack's father become a "bad" dad because of alcohol (or at least, that seem to be the interpretation from showing Jack's dad at the hospital saying that he doesn't drink). 

Also, because it's tv world, do we think that Kate is going to a) get pregnant and if so, b) have a successful pregnancy and her and Toby will have a baby?

For Kevin, I'm not really sure why they have him kind of flipping out about not knowing about his dad's time in Vietnam.  As a young child, you're probably not going to ask and maybe when you're in high school and studying about the war, then you might ask but it's also possible that you don't really think or care to ask.  And then with Jack dying so young, it's not like Kevin could have talked about it with Jack when they're both adults.  So, i don't think it's that weird that he doesn't know anything about Jack's time in Vietnam.  If anything, Kevin should be able to go to his mom and ask her what Jack told her because even though Jack didn't like to talk about it, at some point in their marriage, they probably did eventually or should have talked about his time there.  But if they never did, i could kind of understand that.

And now that Beth got fired and Randall doesn't have a job, exactly what is their source of income?  Did Randall get like a years pay as part of a severance package or something?  Just seems like they live an upscale lifestyle and not sure how they can really afford to do so with no apparent income (unless the show goes the Friends route and just doesn't feel the need to address it).

Comments

• edited October 20
    I’m also enjoying this season. It’s not so much a giant cry fest every week and it’s still holding strong as one of my current favorite network shows. 

I think Kate will get pregnant and have a baby. If she survives the pregnancy seems up in the air to me. With the flash forward of Randall calling Toby looking super depressed and not wearing his wedding ring I believe they do have a baby and that is why Toby would still be in contract with Randall even if he and Kate are no longer married. And because it’s This Is Us Kate would absolutely be dead not divorced from Toby in the flash forwards. 

I think Kevin flipping out about not knowing about his father’s time in Vietnam is basically a reminder to people there is no set time limit on grief. You can think you have moved on and everything’s going great and then one day BAM!!! Back to square one with something else and your grief over the loss of that person. It can be something big like being asked about something you didn’t know about that person or the series finally of a show you and the departed both loved and that hole is open once again. I got my dad into watching Scandal. After he passed away I found it hard to watch the first few episodes of the first season he wasn’t alive for. Then when the show go canceled it took me three attempts to watch the finally because it was like ending a chapter of my life I shared with him. Grief is a funny bitch sometimes. 

Randall and Beth are definitely going the Friends route as far as income goes. That or if Randall really is going to run for a city council seat in the district where his biological father lived maybe they have to move there so they live in the district? But I think the show is going to ignore both of those aspects, he’s gonna still live in the suburbs and somehow not foreclose on his house while having no income to speak of and get s city councilman seat in a district he doesn’t reside in. 
  • I'm also enjoying it so far. I started the thread for season 2 last year and many commenters seemed to have kind of soured on the show so I wondered about a season 3 thread. But yay, I'm not the only one who still likes This Is Us!
    While it definitely doesn't have the emotional impact of season 1, I realize that keeping that up would be impossible, and also improbable - not even the Pearsons have *that* much drama going on. But it was such a strong start that I guess I'll always be interested in the characters.

I'm not too worried about the money issue until the show tells me it's an issue. And with a Hollywood star in the family I don't think it should be (though Randall might be too proud to take money from Kevin).

Normally I'd say the show doesn't have the guts to kill off one of the triplets, but with so many flashbacks it's doubtful we'd ever get completely rid of them. Somehow I still don't think Kate is dead in the future. I can't wait to find out who they're going to see in the flashforward, it really could be anyone, but if I had to bet I'd say Rebecca.
  • The show definitely could not sustain the drama that it had in the 1st season but i think they're kind of trying to go that route with diving into Jack's time in the Vietnam war.  We'll see.  We obviously know that Nick dies, just a matter of how and if Jack could have saved him or not.

I don't seem to recall that i was bitter about Season 2.  I know the way they killed Jack off was kind of dumb (or mainly that the hospital was grossly incompetent which can happen but seems doubtful) and I think some of the characters were getting annoying but I still think overall i enjoyed the season (although could just go back and check the thread for my comments and see, maybe enough time passed where i just forgot too much, :) ).

For this season, i'm not sure they kill off any of the big 3.  But with flashbacks and such, they've shown a way to get around that and such.

Also, I really enjoyed Beth's comments about her and Miguel having a txt thread talking about the family.  That's actually very true to life.

As for Randall living out of district, maybe because he owns property in that area, that's how they can get around that. 

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Let me start by saying I’m a big fan of the show. But I am not a fan of the latest episode. An entire hour on Vietnam knowing it won’t be done as artfully as a Deer Hunter, for example, meant it was very cliche. And yes there was two interesting reveals - drunk grandpa and meek brother - that did not require an entire episode to tell. But the most important reveal for me is that Jack can’t carry an entire show. He is an ensemble actor. 
  • edited October 25
    So this is weird...my wife watches this show. Being a tv snob, I wanted nothing to do with a network show. Been disappointed by all of them since Lost. I saw something about a Vietnam episode somewhere, and was intrigued. The Emmys intrigued me. The actors...

So I watched the Vietnam episode with my wife, and I was impressed. Didn’t really know the premise, and was expecting some kind of melodrama, but found the whole thing well done. 

So so I watched the pilot, and it was damn good. I still have a few ideas where some of the cracks may be. When I get caught up, I'll be interested to see what others' criticisms might be. 
    DeeMichelle
  • edited October 25

@rkcrawf, that's interesting that you picked up the show from the Vietnam episode.  Mainly because that episode didn't feature the other main characters.  I think the first season is excellent so hope you enjoy what you see.

As for this past episode, I found it interesting to see how Kevin's relationship with Zoe and her figuring out if she really wanted to date a white guy but at the same point, you can tell that he cares about her.  Was happy that Kate got pregnant but then also thought that her getting pregnant is big but her actually being able to carry the pregnancy out is the real challenge because we already saw her have a miscarriage.  As for Randall, was glad that we got the scene with him and the restaurant owner.  Thought it was just going to be a "you're not one of us" as oppose to "we owe this guy our livelihood so we'll never turn against him".  Lastly, when they showed the scene of Jack and Miguel, I really thought Miguel was going to talk Jack out of signing up for life insurance and that's why he felt obligated to help because of guilt of knowing that life insurance would have helped out the family.  But instead, it was more about just being a good friend.

• I’m guessing I should have stopped reading after the first paragraph? @dochielomn
  • Yeah, probably.  But since you picked up the show in the middle of the season (even if it was only about Jack in Vietnam) and this thread is labeled about season 3.  Apologies for any spoilers.
  • giardinellogiardinello Long Island, NY
    edited October 28
    rkcrawf said:
    So this is weird...my wife watches this show. Being a tv snob, I wanted nothing to do with a network show. Been disappointed by all of them since Lost. I saw something about a Vietnam episode somewhere, and was intrigued. The Emmys intrigued me. The actors...

So I watched the Vietnam episode with my wife, and I was impressed. Didn’t really know the premise, and was expecting some kind of melodrama, but found the whole thing well done. 

So so I watched the pilot, and it was damn good. I still have a few ideas where some of the cracks may be. When I get caught up, I'll be interested to see what others' criticisms might be. 
    You sound exactly how I felt before ever watching This Is Us. A network TV drama? No thanks.

It was around this this time last year, my cousin kept talking about the show and I was in a Hulu free trial. I decided to give it a shot.

I watched the entire first season and maybe half of the second season. It was far better than I expected. It still has a corny feel to it, but I still liked it for what it was. 

I was also really interested to find out how Jack died, which is what kept me pushing through season 2. Then after the episode aired, it got spoiled the next day by two idiots talking about it in my office. That really turned me off and I also thought it sounded pretty stupid (the big tragic cause of death being caused by a crockpot?). Granted, I haven’t watched the episode, so take my words with a grain of salt. 

Since then, I just haven’t found the time (I technically have time, but there’s a ton of great TV out there) nor been in the mood to revisit the Pearson’s. 

So that’s my This Is Us experience. If you’re a fan of This Is Us, I can almost guarantee that you’ll also like The Haunting of Hill House. The family-centered storytelling, coupled with contextual flashbacks, makes it feel similar. Hill House is technically in the horror genre, but it’s so much more than that. I actually see the horror element of the show as being an allegory for a family dealing with trauma, whether internal (e.g. mental illness) or external. Hill House was the surprise show of the year for me —came out of nowhere with no fanfare, but turned out to be amazing. 
    TaraC73
  • I was also really interested to find out how Jack died, which is what kept me pushing through season 2. Then after the episode aired, it got spoiled the next day by two idiots talking about it in my office. That really turned me off and I also thought it sounded pretty stupid (the big tragic cause of death being caused by a crockpot?). Granted, I haven’t watched the episode, so take my words with a grain of salt. 

@giardinello, the crockpot is just part of it.  The blame really lies with the hospital and the EMTs that treated him right away.  Basically, his death should have been totally preventable and guaranteed that in today's time, the Pearsons would have sued the hospital and gotten good chunk of change for Jack's death.
    TaraC73