I just watched The Pilot for the first time...

I've obviously heard the guys gushing about The Leftovers forever and I just never got around to watching any of it. I was looking for something to watch and saw it on HBO On Demand and figured, what the hell? Let's give it a go. I thought it was great. Really bummed that I didn't give this a chance when the guys were currently covering the show. I think I'm still going to listen along as I watch.

Which leads me to why I made a topic about this. For the pilot episode, they didn't do the typical "full cast" treatment with a breakdown of the plot scene by scene. I assume with how much they ended up loving the show, they eventually do though, right? I'm obviously interested in what they have to say about it but I'm not as big on the meandering type of coverage like that. If say, they start it in Season 2 or something, I may just power through this season of the show, catch the season 1 recap, and then go back to listening to as I watch.

Also, I guess listening to a podcast from 2014 I should have expected it but the Amazon ad caught me off guard. At first I was sad that they lost that, but then I realized that it was what ended making Bald Move bigger and better in the long run. So it's funny now hearing their playfully worded ads about stealing money from Amazon.

Comments

• They stick with this format for the entire run of the show.  Some episodes they end up covering more or less chronologically, but alot of times they take it character by character.  As someone who generally prefers the full recap, I gotta say the looser format kinda works for this show.  Shit gets pretty crazy sometimes on this show, and the freedom to skip around a bit works to their benefit.  In my opinion this is their best podcast aside from maybe GOT, so stick with it.  
    MurderbearCretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, I am also a huge fan of the sequential recap and didn't even realize they didn't do that here. Maybe that means you'll get used to it? 

Enjoy episode 3, one of my favorite hours of television.
    MurderbearCretanBullsbench2
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's definitely not a deal breaker or anything, I just prefer the recaps. Thanks for the info!
  • Dramas like this and Fargo they only do the “half-cast” format because of the amount of scenes that are essentially just someone emoting in silence. Doesn’t make for a great scene by scene breakdown when every third scene is five minutes of “Kevin looks forlornly at a picture and hears a noise that he investigates.” 
    CretanBull
  • A lot of what this show does is experimental in nature, just go with it - trust me the rewards are there!  It never goes totally off the rails weird - but when it does go weird, it stays grounded in the reality of the show.
    Murderbear
  • edited October 22
    Dramas like this and Fargo they only do the “half-cast” format 
    At least for Fargo Season 1 they officially called it the "half-assed podcast". Let's be precise about that.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    JaimieT said:
    Enjoy episode 3, one of my favorite hours of television.
    Yeah, this was a great episode! I actually agreed with A.Ron that it allllllllmost makes me want to go back and watch the Eccleston Dr. Who episodes. (Spoiler alert, I'm not going to do that.) But he was amazing in this episode.
    JaimieT
    Wowee. I just finished season 1 last night and I loved it! Super regretting not watching this when it aired but damn glad I am now. I am so excited to see where it goes. It's a shame I started this right before Red Dead 2 came out but we'll see...

Also, I was glad to now know the context of the jokes that were going around after the penultimate episode of Better Call Saul about that clerk they tricked had to have had rocks in her head. Jesus what a brutal scene. Definitely the hardest part of this season to watch.
    JaimieTA_Ron_HubbardDummyOpusWho
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    There, there, it's good you now care, Murderbear... a caring bear... there should be a show.

Season 1, while still great, is the "worst" season of the show.
    MurderbearReniCretanBull
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited October 26
    Cory said:
    Season 1, while still great, is the "worst" season of the show.
    This is one of those facts that sounds unbelievable, but is nevertheless true.
    djcaudle01
  • POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW!!!  (but not really)

here is something in The Leftovers that I have never heard discussed...

In S1E7 the kids talk about a boy who was in the refrigerator when the departure happened...please consider his potential situation in light of the revelation at the end of the season finale where (you know who) says that on the other side 98% of the population departed.

Is he still in the refrigerator on the other side decomposing? Did he get out? Did he think his friends abandoned him because how would he know there was even a rapture and even if he did have his cell phone, what are the chances that he knew someone close enough to him that departed that could get to him in time...

He most likely died not knowing there was a sudden departure and thinking his friends murdered him by omission...saddest death by refrigeration ever!!!

Hopefully someone in that group departed with him...

• I am so jealous that you get to watch this for the first time
    MurderbearOpusWhohisdudeness915
  • Wowee. I just finished season 1 last night and I loved it! Super regretting not watching this when it aired but damn glad I am now. I am so excited to see where it goes. It's a shame I started this right before Red Dead 2 came out but we'll see...

Also, I was glad to now know the context of the jokes that were going around after the penultimate episode of Better Call Saul about that clerk they tricked had to have had rocks in her head. Jesus what a brutal scene. Definitely the hardest part of this season to watch.
    You don't have to admit it, but I'm taking full credit of you watching the show because of my dumb joke in the episode thread. You're welcome.  :)

Also, the closest thing to a consensus on this board is that season 2 is the best season. I hope you watch it soon because it's worth it. 
    Murderbear
    @Dummy It's definitely a show I've been wanting to start for a long time but I would be lying if I said that your joke didn't spark that interest in me again. So, yeah, thank you!
    Dummy
  • Mild dick-sucking alert. I love the podcast because it reminds me of how awesome it was seeing the show for the first time...also a perfect intro to J & A...much to do with the GR plot. Enjoy season 2...its amazing.
    Murderbear