I just watched The Pilot for the first time...(Spoilers for it all!)

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited January 16 in Following The Leftovers
I've obviously heard the guys gushing about The Leftovers forever and I just never got around to watching any of it. I was looking for something to watch and saw it on HBO On Demand and figured, what the hell? Let's give it a go. I thought it was great. Really bummed that I didn't give this a chance when the guys were currently covering the show. I think I'm still going to listen along as I watch.

Which leads me to why I made a topic about this. For the pilot episode, they didn't do the typical "full cast" treatment with a breakdown of the plot scene by scene. I assume with how much they ended up loving the show, they eventually do though, right? I'm obviously interested in what they have to say about it but I'm not as big on the meandering type of coverage like that. If say, they start it in Season 2 or something, I may just power through this season of the show, catch the season 1 recap, and then go back to listening to as I watch.

Also, I guess listening to a podcast from 2014 I should have expected it but the Amazon ad caught me off guard. At first I was sad that they lost that, but then I realized that it was what ended making Bald Move bigger and better in the long run. So it's funny now hearing their playfully worded ads about stealing money from Amazon.

Comments

• They stick with this format for the entire run of the show.  Some episodes they end up covering more or less chronologically, but alot of times they take it character by character.  As someone who generally prefers the full recap, I gotta say the looser format kinda works for this show.  Shit gets pretty crazy sometimes on this show, and the freedom to skip around a bit works to their benefit.  In my opinion this is their best podcast aside from maybe GOT, so stick with it.  
    MurderbearCretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, I am also a huge fan of the sequential recap and didn't even realize they didn't do that here. Maybe that means you'll get used to it? 

Enjoy episode 3, one of my favorite hours of television.
    MurderbearCretanBullsbench2
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's definitely not a deal breaker or anything, I just prefer the recaps. Thanks for the info!
  • Dramas like this and Fargo they only do the “half-cast” format because of the amount of scenes that are essentially just someone emoting in silence. Doesn’t make for a great scene by scene breakdown when every third scene is five minutes of “Kevin looks forlornly at a picture and hears a noise that he investigates.” 
    CretanBull
  • A lot of what this show does is experimental in nature, just go with it - trust me the rewards are there!  It never goes totally off the rails weird - but when it does go weird, it stays grounded in the reality of the show.
    Murderbear
  • edited October 2018
    Dramas like this and Fargo they only do the “half-cast” format 
    At least for Fargo Season 1 they officially called it the "half-assed podcast". Let's be precise about that.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    JaimieT said:
    Enjoy episode 3, one of my favorite hours of television.
    Yeah, this was a great episode! I actually agreed with A.Ron that it allllllllmost makes me want to go back and watch the Eccleston Dr. Who episodes. (Spoiler alert, I'm not going to do that.) But he was amazing in this episode.
    JaimieT
    Wowee. I just finished season 1 last night and I loved it! Super regretting not watching this when it aired but damn glad I am now. I am so excited to see where it goes. It's a shame I started this right before Red Dead 2 came out but we'll see...

Also, I was glad to now know the context of the jokes that were going around after the penultimate episode of Better Call Saul about that clerk they tricked had to have had rocks in her head. Jesus what a brutal scene. Definitely the hardest part of this season to watch.
    JaimieTA_Ron_HubbardDummyOpusWhorusskelly
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    There, there, it's good you now care, Murderbear... a caring bear... there should be a show.

Season 1, while still great, is the "worst" season of the show.
    MurderbearReniCretanBull
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited October 2018
    Cory said:
    Season 1, while still great, is the "worst" season of the show.
    This is one of those facts that sounds unbelievable, but is nevertheless true.
    djcaudle01
  • POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW!!!  (but not really)

here is something in The Leftovers that I have never heard discussed...

In S1E7 the kids talk about a boy who was in the refrigerator when the departure happened...please consider his potential situation in light of the revelation at the end of the season finale where (you know who) says that on the other side 98% of the population departed.

Is he still in the refrigerator on the other side decomposing? Did he get out? Did he think his friends abandoned him because how would he know there was even a rapture and even if he did have his cell phone, what are the chances that he knew someone close enough to him that departed that could get to him in time...

He most likely died not knowing there was a sudden departure and thinking his friends murdered him by omission...saddest death by refrigeration ever!!!

Hopefully someone in that group departed with him...

• I am so jealous that you get to watch this for the first time
    MurderbearOpusWhohisdudeness915
  • Wowee. I just finished season 1 last night and I loved it! Super regretting not watching this when it aired but damn glad I am now. I am so excited to see where it goes. It's a shame I started this right before Red Dead 2 came out but we'll see...

Also, I was glad to now know the context of the jokes that were going around after the penultimate episode of Better Call Saul about that clerk they tricked had to have had rocks in her head. Jesus what a brutal scene. Definitely the hardest part of this season to watch.
    You don't have to admit it, but I'm taking full credit of you watching the show because of my dumb joke in the episode thread. You're welcome.  :)

Also, the closest thing to a consensus on this board is that season 2 is the best season. I hope you watch it soon because it's worth it. 
    Murderbear
    @Dummy It's definitely a show I've been wanting to start for a long time but I would be lying if I said that your joke didn't spark that interest in me again. So, yeah, thank you!
    Dummy
  • Mild dick-sucking alert. I love the podcast because it reminds me of how awesome it was seeing the show for the first time...also a perfect intro to J & A...much to do with the GR plot. Enjoy season 2...its amazing.
    Murderbear
  • @Murderbear Hello sir..curious on how its going? where are you in the series and what do you think? Ive started re-watching and listening to cast...again.
    Welllllll, I watched episode 1 of season 2. I was slightly confused with the opening and then the cheery new title theme and a whole new city and family but then by the end of the episode I felt very good about it.

And then the video game Red Dead Redemption 2 came out... So that has been my obsession as of late. I've probably already put well over a hundred hours into it since it came out and while there is still SO MUCH left for me to do, I've been wanting to get back into watching The Leftovers again.
    OpusWho
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    That 2nd season title theme is my favorite. I still sing that song for fun sometimes.
    Doctor_NickOpusWho
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    That Iris Dement song is really the best. Her voice is an acquired taste, but I'm happy that I love it. She has a number of songs that bring me to tears, notably 

• That Iris Dement song is really the best. Her voice is an acquired taste, but I'm happy that I love it. She has a number of songs that bring me to tears, notably 
    I got to see her live a few weeks ago, and it was such a cool experience. She seems so nice, and thoughtful but also has this sadness to her.  She closed with "Let the Mystery Be", it was really special.
    JaimieTGarthgou81OpusWho
  • just checkin... @Murderbear apparently Im really invested in your impression of The Leftovers
    Murderbear
    Dammit. I have been ignoring it for no good reason. But, this is good motivation. I have a couple off nights this week and weekend so I'm at least going to finish season 2 this week. I haven't watched anything since that first episode and now is the time to get back into it!
    ChinaskiOpusWho
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @Murderbear needs to HBO GO n chill! gather some pizza rolls, doritos, and hibernate like a true bear. do it! 
    MurderbearMichelleOpusWhohisdudeness915
  • @Murderbear try to take a break every now and then to listen to the appropriate BM podcast(s) - I think it will enhance the experience.  The end result will be much better than a simple binge.
    MurderbearOpusWho
  • I did that with True Detective S1, binged the series and the podcast at the same time. It was both intense and therapeutic at the same time  :)

MurderbearOpusWho
    I just finished episode 2 of season 2 and it was wonderful. I had only watched the first episode of the season and that was back in October. I was slightly confused at first when the "previously on" starts up and it's covering like alllll of season 1 and I'm thinking "I put the right episode on, right? Yup, episode 2...why are they recapping all of...oh, I see, now we're in Miracle." And they did that so they could show what happened between season 1 and 2. And that made that kind of a perfect episode to come back to after a break. I especially loved Patty saying to Kevin (paraphrased) "Nice family. Hard to tell if they're part of your story or you're part of theirs." It's interesting so far how they are weaving the stories together.

I feel like him pretty much getting off scot-free for the Patty thing was sliiightly too convenient. It makes sense in the world since the Guilty Remnant are a bunch of assholes but still. Patty following him around though. She's so menacing it's wonderful. And him waking up at the end with the cinder block tied to his leg?? What the shit? Dammit why wasn't I watching this show? Ha I'm hoping to squeeze another one in tonight.

Also, the theme song surprised me on episode 1 and listening to it again, I do really enjoy it. It definitely threw me off the first time around but I feel like it's such a perfect season 2 theme. If this would have been the theme in season 1, I honestly don't think I would have taken this show as seriously. But after going through what you go through in season 1, it's a beautiful change to make and I like it a lot.
    ChinaskiOpusWhoCoryDummyMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA

LordBy said:
    I am so jealous that you get to watch this for the first time
    i need to repeat this cause i totally felt like this when i read Murderbear's last post.
    MurderbearLordBy
    Okay, I just knocked out episode 3 and thought it was a great episode. Emotions were running strong throughout Susan's story for me. Her kid seeing her again and running to her was beautiful and her driving her family into an oncoming semi was appropriately devastating. I don't ever care about admitting when a show or movie makes me cry but this was like full on punch you in the face cry. I think two episodes a night is probably a good number to stick with just because this shit is so heavy. But I can listen to the guys tomorrow and I think this will be an easy way to do both.

But damn, Laurie is cleaning her car everyday cause she's running GR over? Crazy!

Meg rapes Tom, douses him with gasoline and threatens to burn him with the same lighter his mother tried to give to her daughter?? Holy shit! And he has Wayne's power? Man oh man, I'm loving this.
    OpusWho
    On episode 6. Is this that Bird Box everyone is talking about lately?
    russkellyhisdudeness915Shumtom_gDummyOpusWhoReniChinaskiMichellematts
    Screw this show. I decided last night that I would only watch two episodes a night. Listened to the boys today at work, really enjoyed their talks about those two episodes. And then I came home from work today and I watch my two episodes. And they were amazing, of course. And then I watch a third. And then a fourth because I have no self control. Look, the point is, I don't know if you all remember what happens at the end of episode seven, but it's the one where Kevin decides to go back out to grandpa's trailer for a solution to the Patty problem. Whhhhaaaaaaaaatttttttt. I guess I have to watch the next one now. I was hoping to space these out a little more but this show just HAD to be fucking riveting to watch! Thanks a lot Damien!

Actually, no. I'm going to save 8-10 till tomorrow. I want to decompress a little, listen to more podcasts and soak it in some. It really is a heavy thing to binge. Plus you all who watched it live back then had to wait an entire week to see what happens to Kevin's unconscious body...I guess I can wait a day. Ha!

Just out of curiosity, when you watch the credits, do you think that the people that are gone, is their photo of the exact moment that it happened? I happened to notice that essentially every photo is taken during the day. Maybe except for like one or two that are inside but they all seem to be during the day. I could even see the argument that they were all around the same time of day too. Just wondering if people view them as the moment, or just a photo that a loved one would have kept of that person.

(I'm assuming this has been talked about before but besides the podcasts, I'm not really looking around to see what people have said or were saying back then because I want to enter these episodes as pure as I can)
    OpusWho