True Detective teaser + premiere date June 21

pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
edited April 2015 in Other TV
HBO said Summer 2015, June 21 is the first day of summer, so good on them.

Season 2 teaser trailer
Cory

Comments

• UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Just read on yahoo season two premieres June 21st! Here's the article with a trailer.

http://news.yahoo.com/true-detective-season-2-premieres-172943016.html;_ylt=A0LEVvC_uSZV.BkAV0EnnIlQ
    I just made discussion on this too haha, but the trailer looked good. I really don't think this season can be good as last season, but definitely still pumped for it.
  • Was about to make the thread but saw it here. Looks pretty good. June 21, Hannibal and, OITNB are also in June. This year is great for TV. 
    Jovial_Falcon
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I merged the threads and also came to say that this looks awesome, and I am so excited to be covering this when it comes back.  Man, looks like June's already filling up.  True Detective, Orange is the New Black, and Hannibal too.  If they announce Fargo for June/July I'm going to cry.
    ksa1001Underwood
  • edited April 2015
    The Leftovers is probably starting in June as well, right?

Colin Farrell's mustache, FTW!
    ksa1001historicstork
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Rachel McAdams lookin' all tough is working for me.
    steph_bUnderwood
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Can't wait!!!
  • So stoked. Looks like a dark but different tone :)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I think it looks really generic - it has none of the impact of the first season's trailer. I was excitedly anticipating the first season for months based on that trailer. This one just looks like every other cop show out there. I'm disappointed.

And Colin Farrell is just rank. He looks like he would stink to high heaven and be proud of it.
    pavlovsbellhypergenesbjoschman
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    AntManBee said:

The Leftovers is probably starting in June as well, right?

I don't think so.  HBO usually keeps their original series spread out, especially their heavy hitting sunday dramas .  Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Dee I agree.  The first season's major draw for me was the Southern Gothic setting and the general atmosphere that crawled up under my skin and stayed there.

@A_Ron_Hubbard  I think we would have heard something about The Leftovers season 2 production by now if they had started it, but there hasn't been anything since the announcement that they are moving the location and dumping most of the non-leads.  I would be really surprised if it returns before Fall 2015.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Dee said:

I think it looks really generic - it has none of the impact of the first season's trailer. I was excitedly anticipating the first season for months based on that trailer. This one just looks like every other cop show out there. I'm disappointed.

And Colin Farrell is just rank. He looks like he would stink to high heaven and be proud of it.

You know, I've seldom liked Colin Farrell. I was so puzzled for about 3 or 4 years where it seemed like he was in everything. Always felt onscreen like there was no "there" there, but it seems like I was in the minority. I did like him In Bruges, and the otherwise cheesy Phone Booth. 
  • Teaser definitely got me excited. Really looks like the actors are bringing their A games.
    I'm interested in how well told this seasons story can be. There's no way this years cast can match mcConaughey and Woody. Still excited though!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @chrisk Someone somewhere is desperately trying to make Colin Farrell happen and I'm just not buying it.
    hypergenesb
  • Dee said:

I'm with @Dee. I thought this was incredibly uninspired. I'm not expecting Carcosa again (that the fungus growing somewhere on Colin Farrell) but this did not get me excited. 
  • I'm surprised how many people are shitting on the trailer.  It's a teaser, people.  It says nothing about what the show is.  Also, I'm a big fan of grimy Colin Farrell.  What I can't stand is the ever-present smirk on Vince Vaughn's face.
    UnderwoodFrakkin ThistoricstorkHatorianksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Jim Well yeah, but a teaser is supposed to tease. It's meant to be enticing and I am not enticed. ;-p
    hypergenesb
  • Who are you covering Hannibal with @A_Ron_Hubbard?
  • historicstorkhistoricstork Detroitburbs
    edited April 2015
    I wasn't turned on to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or most other shows because of the teasers. It was the public radio & podcast interviews that piqued my interest. The True Detective teaser does a good job of showing that it will still be a well-produced show, and I think we'll be seeing some of these actors' best performances. It looks like the new season will be more of an ensemble cast. I think the larger cast will help to keep the show fresh. The last thing I want to watch is another police procedural.

As far as the trailer goes, I don't think its subdued tone necessarily reflects a major shift in the show's direction. Season 1 was a lot of brooding punctuated by dramatic events. I think we can expect the same this year.

FWIW, here's the first season's trailer:

AntManBee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 2015
    @historicstork My gosh, that S1 (full) trailer still gives me chills. It makes me want to immediately sit down and watch it all again.

This is the one I first saw that had me hopping up and down impatiently for months waiting - it's just a teaser:

historicstorkpavlovsbell
  • Don't think its real fair to compare the teaser trailer of S2 to trailer of S1. Especially considering all of the best moments were Rus quotes and S2 trailer has 0 dialogue. 

"We keep the bad men from the door"
    "At the end of a dream theres a monster"
    "something deep and dark"

those are epic quotes that got me excited and curious. hopefully s2 next trailer will have something similar. 
    historicstork
  • I had a lot of prejudice against Farrell being in this but this trailer got me stoked, just glad to be diving back into the bleak gritty True Detective universe. I'm optimisitic about it being good.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I love Vince Vaughn. LOVE HIM.... Can I watch season 2 without having seen season 1? (Like American horror story, disconnects seasons?)
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited April 2015
    @TaraC73 I thought Vince Vaughn was a great shout for this, think he'll do dark well. 

But yeh the two seasons are disconnected so watch away. I doubt i'm the first to tell you season 1 is some of the best TV made IMO,  and only 10 hours - not too daunting to embark on, so well worth a watch if you can squeeze it in :)
    TaraC73
  • Colin Farrell looks like he's just escaped "Deadwood", Al Swearengen in slightly cleaner clothes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    For what it's worth, IMDb says September 2015 for S2 of The Leftovers.
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    I really hope they keep what makes a season "true detective" extremely vague if you know what I mean. My biggest fear for season 2 is that they try to format season 1 and focus too much on what made season 1 great and original and force themselves to copy that.

I.e., I don't need Colin Farrell to play a Rust clone or any of the S2 characters to have Rust/Marty characteristics. They have a very capable cast so the material just has to be there and it will be great.

The only thing I want them to take from season 1 is the style of mystery and the dedication to solid realistic drama. Even if they wanted a more upbeat season that would be fine with me. This doesn't have to be 4 seasons of mentally unstable depressed pessimistic alcoholics to be good is all I'm sayin'.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Thanks @FlashGordon !! I may try and watch season one at some point. I'm elbow deep in breaking bad and soon to start mad men and better call Saul :)
    historicstork
  • @Dee Fair enough.  If you're not enticed, you're not enticed.  Frankly, I wasn't enticed either but I rarely am by trailers or teasers.  I'll definitely be watching when it airs though.