904 - The Obliged

Directed by Rosemary Rodriguez
Written by Geraldine Inoa
cdrive

Comments

• Yeah that’s right I’m back, somehow this show won me back despite my better judgment so I guess I’ll stick with it at least until Rick dies and/or leaves. That would normally be a spoiler except for AMC themselves mention it at every commercial break so this thread will be as spoilerish as people like. 
    BrandonTheBardrustywright4
  • Rosemary has previously directed “Sing Me a Song” and “The Damned”. This is Geraldine’s first episode, which may be a good thing because most of the usual writers on this show aren’t very good. 
  • Thank you @Alkaid13, you’re doing gods work. 
    Alkaid13Murderbearbnelson78
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It was an okay episode. The Negan stuff wasn't really interesting at all. The montages were boring but whatever. I like Michonne and I want her to be the fierce warrior too but I guess she saw the preview for next week ahead of time and knows all this shit falls on her.

Speaking of, I mean, I guess the cliffhanger itself was okay but it seems odd to IMMEDIATELY after, put on the screen NEXT WEEK, RICK GRIMES' FINAL EPISODE. I know the secret was out so they have been embracing it all season in the advertising but it just feels weird. It might actually be a good episode though with the weird flashbacks. I'm pretty sure I saw the back of the head of some big lobed sumbitch in a squad car with Rick.
    Alkaid13Kela15
  • Looks like it will have a Christmas Carol vibe to it, but zombies instead of ghosts...
  • Let’s watch this thing I guess. 
  • Man what the fuck are you even saying right now Jesus? You of all people can’t be talking about how someone needed to die with the shit you’ve pulled. 
  • Oh god it’s Eugene, pretty soon this dumbass is gonna become a main character once all the real actors are gone. 
  • Of course he doesn’t have faith in you Darryl, you’re betraying him right now!
  • Oh god, we couldn’t go one half season without more of this garbage plotline huh. 
  • Well I guess that’s how the main character of TWD is going to go out huh? Maybe It would seem like a suspenseful cliffhanger if AMC hadn’t told me that next episode he was gonna die literally right after the end. 
  • Welp, another decent episode, proving once again that TWD could and should have been a better show long before Season 9 but whatever, probably too little too late to actually make a difference for the ratings. Next episode looks interesting so it seems we may in fact get 5 good episodes in a row which hasn’t happened in literal years on this show so that’s an exciting premise. Jury’s still out whether we can maintain this level after next week but we’ll cross that bridge over troubled water when we get to it I suppose. 
  • Weeks in which TWD has not devolved into a complete dumpster fire: 4
    Kela15GruffyWintersMichelle
  • Amazing what you can accomplish when you have: a decent writing staff, a competent showrunner, and a studio that isn’t dicking you over at every turn. 
    Michelle
  • So rick obviously is going to have flashbacks next episodes since he has passed out at the end. I just don’t see any plausible way he’s saved though. Those walkers are like 10 yards from him. 
  • Also he has disgusting dirty rebar poked through his abdomen. Even if he gets rescued from the walkers he's gonna die a horrible death from infection. I liked most of the episode except for the Negan parts and the Anne and Gabriel stuff. I didn't even mind Eugene....he made me LOL a bit. 
    rustywright4Michelle
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    It's unfortunate that the quality did drop off after the first three episodes sent to reviewers early.

Rick run through with rusty rebar...really?

Even if he gets rescued from the walkers he's gonna die a horrible death from infection.

Nah, Enid will amputate.

• Oh this season is by no means must watch television, I just have a historically low bar for this show after last season so this has just crossed my threshold of “watchable”. I expect this show will once again take a meteoric dive by the mid-season finale and I can once again go back to ignoring its existence. 
  • I thought this episode was the best so far. You can tell the writers are worlds better than in prior years. Last couple of seasons Darryl was a whatever character for me, after this episode I’ve bought in for the post Rick. Rick and Darryl’s dialogue made the show, totally understood where both of them were coming from and both of them were right!
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Alkaid13’s Live-Angry-Posting to the new TWD episodes is quickly becoming my new fav thing on the Bald Move forums. 
    Alkaid13MichelleDee
  • Even if it’s better now, TWD still has some frankly silly shit and I gotta call them out on it. 
    cdrive
    I'm 2 episodes behind. But when I watch them I'm going to be scrolling through the 903 and 904 thread. haha.
  • I thought this episode was pretty bad. However, I've been critical of the show for a long time, and at this point can't see anything but crap. 
  • This was a weird one and for me it was the strongest while simultaneously the worst episode so far this season. On one hand you have this pretty thoughtful and for that matter necessary conversation between Rick and Daryl (and they brought it that day). On the other you have an overly extended introspection scene between Michonne and Negan (acting not terrible but the writing doesn't help). If they really want to surprise me then they can start by threading in the other plot lines with Rick's final episode, but knowing this shows history...yeah I have a feeling were in for a slightly better/nostalgic Tara centric episode.  
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited October 30
    gotta admit, this is a great image from next weeks previews:

Michelle
    edited October 31
    So I'm caught up now....  TWD coinkydinks are coming in strong! "Go big or go home!" 

Imagine that, the rotted-out porch plank just so happens to be right in front of a boarded-up front door holding back walkers. 

Imagine that, a random hole for Rick and Daryl to fall into.  
    Rick: "PULL OVER! THERE'S A HOLE HERE"
    Daryl: "HERE?!"
    Rick: " NO UP A WAYS MORE.....HERE! PULL OVER HERE!  OK LETS WRASSLE!"

Imagine that, a perfect little pile of broken up concrete and bent up rebar in the middle of nowhere for Rick's horse to throw him on.  Right as 2 herds merge towards him, natch.  

Wtf is wrong with Jadis?  She was just going to torture-kill Gabriel for no reason?  I didn't get that AT. ALL.  

We're getting a lot of Daryl "nnnaow"s lately which is great.  

Still on board....

Kela15Giovanni
  • cdrive said: 
    So I'm caught up now....  TWD coinkydinks are coming in strong! "Go big or go home!" 

Imagine that, the rotted-out porch plank just so happens to be right in front of a boarded-up front doorr holding back walkers. 

Imagine that, a random hole from Rick and Daryl to fall into.  
    Rick: "PULL OVER! THERE'S A HOLE HERE"
    Daryl: "HERE?!"
    Rick: " NO UP A WAYS MORE.....HERE! PULL OVER HERE!  OK LETS WRASSLE!"

Imagine that, a perfect little pile of broken up concrete and bent up rebar in the middle of nowhere for Rick's horse to throw him on.  Right as 2 herds merge towards him, natch.  

Wtf is wrong with Jadis?  She was just going to torture kill Gabriel for no reason?  I didn't get that AT. ALL.  

We're getting a lot of Daryl "nnnaow"s lately which is great.  

Still on board....

You said this so much better than I could have, lol. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    cdrive said:
    @Alkaid13’s Live-Angry-Posting to the new TWD episodes is quickly becoming my new fav thing on the Bald Move forums. 
    Same! It’s the only reason I read this thread. He should have a YouTube channel where he watches crappy TV shows and just bitches all the way through it. Or be on Gogglebox.
    cdrive
  • The fuck is a gogglebox?
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alkaid13 said:
    The fuck is a gogglebox?
    It is literally a TV show where people sit and watch TV and make comments about what they’re watching. It’s huge in the UK and pretty popular in Australia, for reasons that baffle me.
    MichelleKela15