Bohemian Rhapsody (spoilers)

MichelleMichelle California
edited November 2 in Movies
I thought we could use a dedicated thread to talk in depth about this phenomenal film without spoiling anyone who hasn’t seen it.  I’m on such a Queen high after this movie.  I’m sure it will wear off after a while but god, this movie was SO damn good!   Loved the guys’ podcast/review also, but I was surprised that they didn’t bring up Littlefinger being the band’s first manager.  :smile:

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard here’s the answer on whether or not Rami Malek actually sang in the movie:  https://www.nme.com/news/film/rami-malek-actually-sing-bohemian-rhapsody-2395072
  • Thanks, Michelle.  I was looking for a place to mention Littlefinger in the podcast but never found one.
    Michelle
    Jim said:
    Thanks, Michelle.  I was looking for a place to mention Littlefinger in the podcast but never found one.
    lol, when he first appeared on the screen the man sitting behind me said “ah, fuck this guy” & a few people laughed.  He’ll just always be Littlefinger.  
    JimNaugustine
    ARon mentioned feeling like he was actually watching Freddie Mercury in the movie (Rami was that good).  I felt like that a few times but at the end, during the entire Live Aid concert scene, it looked to me like every once in a while it was actually a shot of Fred and then it’d go back to being Rami (especially when he was shot from behind or at a good distance).  I mean, it probably wasn’t but how cool would it be if they had actually done that? 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited November 2
    I thought Malek was excellent, but I didn’t love the film overall. Thought the script was pretty terrible tbh. I’ll link my review in case anyone is interested!

https://ohthatfilmblog.com/2018/10/27/bohemian-rhapsody-2018/
    OpusWho
  • As a Queen die-hard the time-jumping of songs and some events was really annoying. I understand your squeezing 20 years into 90 minutes and certain things have to get in there but at least they could have synced up the music better...the Fat-Bottomed Girl montage being one of my main issues. I really liked the movie though.
    Here's the original Live Aid performance.  They really got it right in the film, even down to the Pepsi cups on the piano.  

TaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    In reading reviews today, it seems to be true that the more you know about Queen, and/or the more you identify with queer culture, the more let down / disappointed you were in BR. Obviously both of these are kind of blind spots for Jim and I. 
    TaraC73Natter Cast
    edited November 4
    This is why I don't read critics' reviews.  Everyone has their own opinion, and one person's opinion isn't law.  I know more than one person always reviews a movie (or tv show, or album, or whatever the media happens to be) and several may all agree with one another - but if I happen to like it, that's all that matters to me.  I'm not going to either not watch something because a critic said it wasn't good, or rethink my opinion afterward if I have already seen it.  All art is subjective.  

EDIT:  this opinion does not count for @Jim & @A_Ron_Hubbard reviews.  I trust their reviews more than any critics.  Just felt like I needed to throw that out there!  :smile:
    amyja89DoubleA_Ron
    What an opening weekend!  And Sunday’s numbers aren’t even in yet.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bohemian-rhapsody-makes-rockin-world-165425146.html

Going again today with my bestie.  I can’t wait!  Has anyone else seen it yet?
  • Not sure if you've seen this interview, but if you are a fan of Remi Malek I recommend to check it out:

It made me a bigger fan of Remi Malek.
    Michelle
  • So I saw it earlier today, and I was blown away. While I've long considered Freddie Mercury the best rock front-man ever, I also considered myself a casual Queen fan. Had no idea Freddie was of Middle Eastern descent. No idea he had a wife. Went in with low expectations, despite the positive review from BM and a friend or two. Honestly, I was failing miserably at holding back tears by the end of the movie. It wasn't that I felt sentiment for Freddie's fate or anything...It's just that he was a singular TALENT and the beauty of his voice just overwhelmed me the longer the film went on. It was honestly like that moment in Shawshank Redemption when the music comes on in the prison. It was just a realization that this person was unbelievalbly talented.

I think the movie struck the perfect tone between truth and this feels like it should be true. It was true enough for me to believe it, and it had enough warts on it to make me believe that it wasn't just making people look good. There was a lot of stock rock and roll "bi-opic" stuff (including arguments in the rain), but it all hung together really well. I didn't believe Rami was Freddie at first, but by the time he gets to the mustache look, I was sold. I found myself oddly transfixed by how good the actor playing Brian May was. 

There are a few things that I didn't love. I got a weird vibe about some of the peripheral characters and Freddie's sexuality. I originally didn't care for the tone because it felt (at times) like his sexual preference was a vice chasing him (like drugs for other rock stars). But I think I gradually accepted that part of it is Hollywood, and part of it is that Freddie was dealing with intimacy / promiscuity issues, which happened to cross hetro-norms-norms. Not that his preferences were the actual issue. I mean, he treated his wife like a cat.

So glad I saw this in a theatre with a boomin system.
    majjam0770
  • I haven't seen this, I just wanted to pop in and say how funny it was that a biopic thread was labeled "spoilers" =P
    majjam0770
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I don't really know anything about Queen other than hearing some of their hits and that's probably why it worked so well for me. It sure did seem like it was how the band saw things, I bet if Freddie was involved some of that would have been told differently. This movie was more of a celebration of Queen and their music than an in depth look at the life of Freddie, which is fine, but I would love to see an actual bio pic on him someday.
    amyja89
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited November 13
    Overall it was Queen-mania. Thought Malek was great. He's very appealing and I was with him all the way as Freddie. And I liked the other performances, too. Enjoyed every given five minutes of the film.

BUT...

Not enough is earned and there were no risks taken. "Hey, guys, we've got 30 minutes, let's throw some coins in some pots and record it!" Five seconds later: We Are The Champions. It would have been nice to see more actual artistic struggle. It seemed like Freddie and Brian could just strut and pose their way into brilliant poetry.

It would have been nice to know more about his fiance and her experience. He comes out as bisexual and she tells him he's gay. How did she get that impression? It's not impossible to imagine that she'd have that insight, of course, but all we've seen is her sitting there with cats while Freddie tours. It would be nice if she had some sort of thing that she wanted out of life that Freddie was a mixed bag at providing and so there would be some conflict or struggle in her choice to leave him. That could be a thing. Make a woman, you know...a character. I know this is Brian Singer we're talking about, but everyone has to stretch sometime.

The tour montages felt slap-dashy. "We love you, Atlanta! We love you New York! We love you Chicago! We love you LA!" all look like they were shot at the Olympic theater. If you're doing a Queen movie, you gotta try to make the US tour more impressive than This Is Spinal Tap.

Live Aid wasn't bad, but the real performance is so much better that it's distracting. I think I would have taken an indy film chance and cut to the real footage at the end, right when he sits at the piano. Malek sits down, he hits the first note, bam, switch over to the real thing: not a dry eye.

And list bit of shade: the story of Live Aid seems like it would be really compelling. But it's tough in the final act, where we should be emotionally fixated on Freddie's tragic diagnosis and repairing his relationships with friends and family, to have something that much bigger and more important happening. 

B-