VOTE!!!

LETS GO PEOPLE!  This is a big election! Get your lazy siblings out, your friends who arent interested in politics, slash the tires of your uncle who you disagree with on politics! (dont do that). 

Whether you're liberal or conservative, everyone needs to vote!

(republican voting day is Wednesday, right?)
MrXTravisMichellemajjam0770Kela15Flukeshisdudeness915weeniegirl

Comments

• Nope, liberals vote tomorrow, and good luck ;)
    gguenotMichelle
  • I voted like a week ago, so I think that makes me better than those who haven't voted yet. So either vote today or forever be worse than this jackass. 
    majjam0770
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited November 6
    First time to ever vote. Went ahead and early voted, party line Democrat all the way. Not that I would call myself a Democrat, or even a fan of Beto O'Rourke (not not a fan, he just doesn't wow me). I just fucking hate Ted Cruz, and the current state of the GOP is so fucking disgusting that I'll vote for bitch ass liberals just to take it down. Just kidding about the bitch ass liberals part. I'm pretty liberal for the most part. Just don't have a huge problem with guns, and believe in less government (would prefer better government, but that's even more improbable than less government). I actually try to see both sides of most positions, and keep an open mind. If anything, I'm the voter that can be swayed with a good enough argument. It really is a testament to how batshit crazy the right has gone. They actually drove me to go vote, and to vote Democrat without even researching the candidates (other than Beto, but that was a formality. Fuck you, Ted Cruz!). I'm literally voting just to crush The Right down in hopes that they rebuild into something better. Big reason I haven't voted in the past, is that I thought the contention between the right and left met well enough in the middle to keep the ship steady and moving forward towards a utopia. Anyways, cheers to Texas turning into a swing state! That would be good for moving the country back to a more reasonable political climate, right?
    gguenotA_Ron_HubbardMichelleLordByrusskellymajjam0770Alkaid13MurderbearFlukesLeahra821and 2 others.
  • edited November 6
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Always cool to see first timers, Freddy! It's like a slightly less violent version of Game of Thrones, that you can play from 18-death.
  • Early - about a week ago.  Taking my 19 year old later.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Voting after work!  

Also, wtfg Freddy!  Way to get out there and make your voice heard in the polls. :star:

And lastly, I can't wait for the next two years to pass quickly so that we can vote a new President in!  

majjam0770gguenotKela15
  • What’s sad is how many are blindly voting. Voting ain’t enough, you need to educate yourself.  
    Michellerhcoop
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Straight ticket Dem. Since 2000. GOTV!
    gguenotMichelleFreddy
  • What’s sad is how many are blindly voting. Voting ain’t enough, you need to educate yourself.  
    Regarding that education, i recommend not watching Fox News.
    Michellegguenotrusskellyhisdudeness915Freddy
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 6
    I do generally recommend people use sites like Vote411 or Vote Smart to educate themselves on the various issues at stake given how many politicians are just fragrantly lying about their positions. Make sure your official is actually for the things they say they’re for and not just bullshitting you. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I don’t wanna hear a bunch of whining about some group losing when that demographic didn’t vote. So just go now! I’m talking to you 18 to 25!
    gguenot
  • MichelleMichelle California
    tom_g said:
    What’s sad is how many are blindly voting. Voting ain’t enough, you need to educate yourself.  

gguenothisdudeness915MattyWeaves
  • russkelly said:
    Straight ticket Dem. Since 2000. GOTV!

My first election was also 2000! I've also always voted straight-Dem, with the exception that I may have voted for Olympia Snowe for Senate in Maine in 2000 (I honestly can't even remember now), back when moderate Republicans were actually moderate and reasonable.

russkelly
    There's a lot of truth to this. I made the mistake by blindly voting for a local school board member because I didn't know anything about the candidates. I saw a woman's name "Sandee Everett" and thought-- shes a woman (so probably a Democrat), nice sounding name, I'll vote for her. Little did I know that I had voted for an evangelical, far right, monster who has caused a lot of grief and turmoil on our local School Board and district. Ever since I realized the error I made, I make it a point to be as informed as possible so my vote aligns with my values and helps the community as a whole. Otherwise, I skip voting on a section or topic entirely if I'm not familiar with the candidates or the propositions so I don't make the same mistake again. 
    MichelleFlukesGiovanni
  • I voted my conscience. It's probably not the same as many people here, but I still voted. 
    gguenotMichelleLordByFlukesFreddy
  • tom_g said:
    What’s sad is how many are blindly voting. Voting ain’t enough, you need to educate yourself.  
    You mean, CNN, lol
  • tom_g said:
    You mean, CNN, lol
    Nope, I meant exactly what the fuck I wrote.
    johnnytruantUnderwoodasmallcatFlukesrusskellyMichellegguenothisdudeness915MattyWeavesKela15and 1 other.
  • tom_g said:
    You mean, CNN, lol

I don't think CNN is particularly great (in fact it's often pretty bad), it's certainly well above the Fox News propaganda machine in terms of bias and providing fair representations of the news.

Methodology here: https://www.adfontesmedia.com/methodology-posts/
    Alkaid13Elisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Always cool to see first timers, Freddy! It's like a slightly less violent version of Game of Thrones, that you can play from 18-death.
    To be fair, the players in the Game of Thrones are welcome to contend until death. It's just usually a pretty short playing career.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited November 6
    Honestly, I think that's a mistake. Their are uneducated voters on all sides, the amount of education required to make an "informed" vote is vastly overstated. I'm a political junkie, but I could sit down with vote411.org for an hour, as an example, and be more informed on issues and candidates than 90% of my peers.

Also, you don't have to fill out a whole ballot! Educate yourself on a few candidates that speak to you, vote for them, leave everything else blank if you're that worried about ruining the Republic. 

Also, with things as polarized as they are now, it's never been a better time to vote straight ticket. Fuck it. If you believe that climate change is the most important issue, of our day, you'd be well advised to vote straight democrat. Similarly with healthcare, labor, shoring up our existing entitlements, etc. There are tons of issues that you really don't need to do much research on beyond whether they have an (R) or a (D) by their name. Sad, but true.

Sure, educate yourself, everyone should. But go vote either way, unless you think the side you oppose is going to keep their ignorant dumb-asses on the bench (they won't).
    Alkaid13MarciTravis
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    CNN is fine. I don't watch any of the cable news channels anymore, but I'll probably background watch MSNBC while playing RDR2 tonight for fun. But for good old fashioned whole coverage, you gotta go with PBS or C-Span.
  • tom_g said:
    tom_g said:
    You mean, CNN, lol
    Nope, I meant exactly what the fuck I wrote.
    Good for u
    Honestly, I think that's a mistake. Their are uneducated voters on all sides, the amount of education required to make an "informed" vote is vastly overstated. I'm a political junkie, but I could sit down with vote411.org for an hour, as an example, and be more informed on issues and candidates than 90% of my peers.

Also, you don't have to fill out a whole ballot! Educate yourself on a few candidates that speak to you, vote for them, leave everything else blank if you're that worried about ruining the Republic. 

Also, with things as polarized as they are now, it's never been a better time to vote straight ticket. Fuck it. If you believe that climate change is the most important issue, of our day, you'd be well advised to vote straight democrat. Similarly with healthcare, labor, shoring up our existing entitlements, etc. There are tons of issues that you really don't need to do much research on beyond whether they have an (R) or a (D) by their name. Sad, but true.

Sure, educate yourself, everyone should. But go vote either way, unless you think the side you oppose is going to keep their ignorant dumb-asses on the bench (they won't).
    I’m not a political junkie but voting blindly is a mistake.  Voting by ticket only leaves questions about the candidate standing behind the ticket itself.  Just casting a vote is ignorant in my opinion.  But sitting on your ass and not voting at all is as ignorant as it gets.  
    rhcoop

• MrX said:
    tom_g said:
    You mean, CNN, lol

I don't think CNN is particularly great (in fact it's often pretty bad), it's certainly well above the Fox News propaganda machine in terms of bias and providing fair representations of the news.

I’m sorry, but they are all biased.  Not one source is down the middle.
    edited November 6
    @walkthesky
    I mean what news source do you use though? Gotta offer some alternatives if you’re going to say all news is biased. 
  • Generally a little from everywhere.  I can’t stand cable news lately.
    edited November 6
    Not a big fan of cable news at moment. Too interested in the hits and not interested enough in telling how it is. Guess that’s capitalism at work but I’d like a little less of it in my reporting. I feel like big money is a large part of why both news and politics are so bad right now. This is more apt for the politics thread though. 

Get out and vote people!!!!!
  • Getting my lotion and tissues ready for tonight when I watch Steve Kornacki do his thang Image result for steve kornacki gif
    weeniegirl
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada

MrX said:
    tom_g said:
    You mean, CNN, lol

I’m sorry, but they are all biased.  Not one source is down the middle.
    Out of curiosity, which part of Ms. Otero's methodology do you take exception with? I read this chart as agreeing with your point of view to a large extent. The vast majority of media she attempts to quantify leans one way or the other. 

At the very least it she's taken the time to try to quantify bias and quality in a reproducible way. She also does not claim that the sources in the middle of the horizontal axis are unbiased - they have minimal or balanced bias. That does not mean that every article is perfectly neutral.