Top Chef

MichelleMichelle California
I think I remember several of us mentioning Top Chef as one of our favorite programs.  I saw this article posted on Facebook - one more month until the new season!   What are some of your favorite seasons/cheftestants/moments?

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/tom-colicchio-on-bravo-top-chef-season-16-kentucky?cid=soc_fb_TopChef_TopChef_Dish&fbclid=IwAR3QWR54wxYWdZWVeQTprj7iFrnXDQgx4WQ-TPFxCKnl-GLOIE_fsDEfTEM

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Really, no one?  Okay then.  :smile:
  • Sorry Michelle -  I only watched this show the Seattle season and liked it but it never became a show that I watch all the time.   I also am off cable now so likely won't start watching it.  But I hope you and others enjoy the new seasons.  There is just too much TV out there to watch it all :)
  • Was a Harold fan.

Big Marcel and his foam fan, disliked Ilan....

I was a Hung Fan
    Fabio and Carla Hall!

Super sketchy Angelo Sosa.

And Fatima seemed like such a fun person, it's just very sad that she's so ill.  
  • I haven’t seen it for a while. I think the last time was watching they had a bunch of former contestants. 
  • I watch with my wive, as its one of the few shows we both enjoy. I recall Chris from last year bc he's from Philly and got to go to the Super Bowl. I've learned never to try short ribs or risotto when you're short on time, but the seasons blur for me. Every now and then, I'll see someone from the show on another cooking show, and remember their face. 

I ❤️ Padma. Easily #1 on my list.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm in! i've watched every season (can't believe there's been 15 seasons and counting!). my favorite season was Vegas with the Voltaggio brothers.

Kentucky for S16! can't wait to hear Padma's soft soothing voice say 'today you will be cooking with what else? bourbon. as you know Kentucky is known for it's bourbon yada yada yada..'

MoonMan13
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 12
    I was randomly staying at the then new M in Vegas when they were filming, and I asked Padma to move her stuff off one of the weight benches before I realized who she was.  Had no idea they were there.

onlyChinaski said:

Kentucky for S16! can't wait to hear Padma's soft soothing voice say 'today you will be cooking with what else? bourbon squirrel as you know Kentucky is known for it's.... rustic cuisine.

FTFY :)
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Kentucky for S16! can't wait to hear Padma's soft soothing voice say 'today you will be cooking with what else? bourbon squirrel as you know Kentucky is known for it's.... rustic cuisine.

I have ancestors from Mason County!  I resemble this remark :lol:
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 12
    Well, I have watched Harlan County, USA, all of Justified and I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so I feel well qualified to opine on all things Kentucky.

:p 

Michelle said:

I have ancestors from Mason County!  I resemble this remark :lol:

Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    i'm in! i've watched every season (can't believe there's been 15 seasons and counting!). my favorite season was Vegas with the Voltaggio brothers.

Kentucky for S16! can't wait to hear Padma's soft soothing voice say 'today you will be cooking with what else? bourbon. as you know Kentucky is known for it's bourbon yada yada yada..'

Vegas was the Kevin Gillespie season, wasn’t it?  The one that loves pork & had a pig tattooed on his arm?  I love that guy!
    Was a Harold fan.

Big Marcel and his foam fan, disliked Ilan....

I was a Hung Fan
    Fabio and Carla Hall!

Super sketchy Angelo Sosa.

And Fatima seemed like such a fun person, it's just very sad that she's so ill.  
    Love me some Fabio!
  • Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

Vegas was the Kevin Gillespie season, wasn’t it?  The one that loves pork & had a pig tattooed on his arm?  I love that guy!
    Oh yeah, I forgot about him until you mentioned it!.  That was quite the season with Mike Isabella and Jenn Carroll too....
    Michelle
  • I also really liked the Voltaggio bros season. Although since then it's come out that Isabella is a dirtbag.

I remember Season 4 being really good, with Stephanie Izard and Richard Blais (and also Antonia).
    Chinaski
    Working from home today & started a season 6 rewatch.  Loving it so far.  And yeah, Mike Isabella is a dbag.
    Chinaski
    MrX said:
    I also really liked the Voltaggio bros season. Although since then it's come out that Isabella is a dirtbag.

I remember Season 4 being really good, with Stephanie Izard and Richard Blais (and also Antonia).
    since then? he was shady AF back then too.

yeah S4 was good too. my sister met Stephanie Izard right after she won, super rad person apparently. and i've been a fan of Antonia Lofaso since.
    Michelle
  • I somehow missed that season....
  • Chinaski said:
    MrX said:
    I also really liked the Voltaggio bros season. Although since then it's come out that Isabella is a dirtbag.

yeah S4 was good too. my sister met Stephanie Izard right after she won, super rad person apparently. and i've been a fan of Antonia Lofaso since.

Yup:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/04/06/heres-the-fallout-so-far-for-chef-mike-isabella-after-sexual-harassment-allegations/
    MrX said:
    Chinaski said:
    MrX said:

Yup:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/04/06/heres-the-fallout-so-far-for-chef-mike-isabella-after-sexual-harassment-allegations/
    what a piece of crap. not surprising.
    Yeah, in the first episode when they're doing the mis-en-place competition, he comments in his confessional "no offense, but a girl shouldn't be at my level".  I'd forgotten about that and I gave him the most evil side eye when I heard it earlier (background watching).  
  • Chinaski said:
    MrX said:
    Chinaski said:
    MrX said:

Yup:
    what a piece of crap. not surprising.
    Wellp, not that surprising but I didn't know that....
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Chinaski said:

Haven't caught up with it yet but as a Kentuckian I'm certain they will do a great deal of this kind of thing. BUT my hope is they can move past it and really dig into some of the more exciting aspects of the cuisine, historic and contemporary. Don't ask me what those are specifically, I just know we are more than bourbon and horses! If I were to venture into it I guess it would be the cultural influences around the state: Native American and Appalachian cultures, and being centrally located, Kentucky has influences from the coast, and from immigrant populations (French, German etc) moving into and through the area. Contemporary international influences from businesses (Japan for example) and from horse racing. Very excited.
    Chinaski
  • They've already done a Mint Julep challenge liquor pairing challenge some season, haven't they?
    just got home and my DVR is telling me that the new season started tonight! what a pleasant surprise!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    just got home and my DVR is telling me that the new season started tonight! what a pleasant surprise!
    Gah!  After all this I had forgotten its premiere date!  Watching now on the Bravo app.  Who should I be looking out for as a possible superstar this season?
    Chinaski
  • Take home message of this episode. 

Always go to Italy for a year when you have the chance. 

Chinaski
    i enjoyed the premier, gonna be a good season. Toms initial reaction and final thoughts on David's soup was great! also, Kelsey's deviled egg looked fantastic!

did you guys see the 'next time on Top Chef' preview?
    Chinaski said:

looks like I get that from Padma next week haha.
    Michelle
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Not a bad start. Feel bad for the Cincy contestant, first one off and then lose last chance - bummer.