U.S. Politics Vol. 7: A Dream of 2020

Yeah yeah I’m back to making these threads I guess. Everyone knows how to behave by now so I shouldn’t have to repeat myself, but as always don’t be an asshole or I’ll ban you and I don’t care if you’re making some high minded argument or not. 
CretanBullDeeweeniegirl
«1345678

Comments

  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 8
    To catch everyone up to speed: Midterms done, Jeff Seasions fired, Trump still Trumping. 

    Also I will be keeping this thing a little more civil so that means I’ll actively remove any comments that are too pointedly directed at any forum members. Even if you think someone’s being an asshole just report them to a mod and we’ll take care of it, and I do mean that this time, I’m implementing a strikes policy and if you fuck around I’ll seriously ban you. 
    MegGryffindor
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I am officially throwing my name in the hat for the 2020 election. I have no idea where I strand on the issues or what my policies will be but if you would go vote for me, that would be great.
    Kate23
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited November 8
    Good ol’ another shooting in the US. This time 2 miles from where I live, at a bar I used to go to a lot. And the cherry on top- RBG in the hospital 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 8
    Democrats won the "Osoff" seat! i.e. Newt Gingrich's and Tom Price's seat. Lucy McBath is an inspiring candidate. Her son was murdered in a hate crime in 2012 and she became a gun control activist and decided to run this year.

    Overall the house is looking really good, have picked up even more close races since Tuesday night, and there are still some out there that haven't been called.

    hisdudeness915Deeweeniegirl
  • gguenot said:
    Good ol’ another shooting in the US. This time 2 miles from where I live, at a bar I used to go to a lot. And the cherry on top- RBG in the hospital 
    Ugh. Bring on the giant meteor already. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 8
    I see that the existential threat that was the migrant caravan has suddenly been solved now that midterms are no longer an issue because it sure seems like everyone warning us about it have grown oddly silent about that topic. Almost seems like it was a bullshit political stunt all along. 
    hisdudeness915JaimieTrustywright4
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I see that the existential threat that was the migrant caravan has suddenly been solved now that midterms are no longer an issue because it sure seems like everyone warning us about it have grown oddly silent about that topic. Almost seems like it was a bullshit political stunt all along. 
    Almost!
    I linked my son (submariner) to the military PowerPoint about troops to the border, and how the MLCOA labels the biggest threat, the minutemen massing there in their surplus store camo yelling "murica, fck yeah!" And, oh yes, them stealing stuff from the military. 
    Many eye rolls ensued.
    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-administration-migrant-caravan-border-troops-1196855

    support the troops by making them work harder

  • Mueller should immediately leak that the Whitaker appointment is being investigated as an extension of the obstruction aspect of the probe, forcing Whitaker, by DOJ guidelines, to recuse - just as Sessions had to.  It would be poetic justice to have the frustration continue in exactly the same way!


    That would be brilliant 
  • Kate23 said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    I see that the existential threat that was the migrant caravan has suddenly been solved now that midterms are no longer an issue because it sure seems like everyone warning us about it have grown oddly silent about that topic. Almost seems like it was a bullshit political stunt all along. 
    Almost!
    I linked my son (submariner) to the military PowerPoint about troops to the border, and how the MLCOA labels the biggest threat, the minutemen massing there in their surplus store camo yelling "murica, fck yeah!" And, oh yes, them stealing stuff from the military. 
    Many eye rolls ensued.
    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-administration-migrant-caravan-border-troops-1196855

    support the troops by making them work harder
    "Operation Faithful Patriot"

    Ok, who else is playing bullshit pro-USA word salad bingo, cause I'm only one word away now! 

    Also, someone needs to tell the army about the minimum readable font size on a power point presentation. Pretty sure I saw some 10 point in there. 
  • Ok, so this thing Jim and A' A-Ron (K&P reference) talking about the manipulation of video in our political landscape is coming to fruition. Did anyone see Sarah Huckabee Sanders use an infowars doctored clip of the Jim Acosta (CNN reporter)? They added frames and made it appear as if he was aggressively pushing her arm down prior to her taking the mic. Someone showed side by side frame per frame of how the original footage was changed. This is getting out of hand. I don't know when it will stop. On a side note, it's kind of a sad state of affairs that I've completely changed my world lens view of essentially categorizing angry and non-negotiable and unwilling to talk to people...people into Republicans. And higher intelligent, willing to talk things out, logical people into the Democratic category. It's astonishingly very accurate, i'd say over 85%. Now, am I crazy? I've never viewed myself as a Democrat until around the 2nd Obama administration (due to the mass amount of hate created on the Repub side during his first 4 years). Granted, I'm also in a midsize Texas town (100k or so), and we had about 80% of votes turned in from our county as Republican. I feel like I'm almost to the point to where I'm just fed up and want to pack the kids up and head north (not quite Canada, but close in case I need to)

    Anyways, there's just some random thoughts. I love you guys (in a completely platonic manner), been a listener since I started watching Game of Thrones live around the middle of Season 4. I can listen to you guys talk about anything. Thanks for all you do!

    Troy
    tom_gMattyWeaveshisdudeness915DeeMarciweeniegirl
  • adobo1148 said:

    Mueller should immediately leak that the Whitaker appointment is being investigated as an extension of the obstruction aspect of the probe, forcing Whitaker, by DOJ guidelines, to recuse - just as Sessions had to.  It would be poetic justice to have the frustration continue in exactly the same way!


    That would be brilliant 
    America - you are welcome.
  • kuman07 said:
    I am officially throwing my name in the hat for the 2020 election. I have no idea where I strand on the issues or what my policies will be but if you would go vote for me, that would be great.
    This > Trump :)
    kuman07
  • earman22 said:
    Ok, so this thing Jim and A' A-Ron (K&P reference) talking about the manipulation of video in our political landscape is coming to fruition. Did anyone see Sarah Huckabee Sanders use an infowars doctored clip of the Jim Acosta (CNN reporter)? They added frames and made it appear as if he was aggressively pushing her arm down prior to her taking the mic. Someone showed side by side frame per frame of how the original footage was changed. This is getting out of hand. I don't know when it will stop. On a side note, it's kind of a sad state of affairs that I've completely changed my world lens view of essentially categorizing angry and non-negotiable and unwilling to talk to people...people into Republicans. And higher intelligent, willing to talk things out, logical people into the Democratic category. It's astonishingly very accurate, i'd say over 85%. Now, am I crazy? I've never viewed myself as a Democrat until around the 2nd Obama administration (due to the mass amount of hate created on the Repub side during his first 4 years). Granted, I'm also in a midsize Texas town (100k or so), and we had about 80% of votes turned in from our county as Republican. I feel like I'm almost to the point to where I'm just fed up and want to pack the kids up and head north (not quite Canada, but close in case I need to)

    Anyways, there's just some random thoughts. I love you guys (in a completely platonic manner), been a listener since I started watching Game of Thrones live around the middle of Season 4. I can listen to you guys talk about anything. Thanks for all you do!

    Troy
    Most conservatives are generally reasonable and thoughtful folks so I would be wary of lumping them all in with the GOP in its current state.

    The arguement for smaller government with lower taxes and less interference isn’t irrational and that is what the libertarian wing of the GOP stood for. Environmentalism is a natural aspect of conservatism (conservation...) and the EPA was created under Nixon who couldn’t be described as a liberal progressive.

    The movement has been sold out by some initially fringe elements (I’d include Goldwater in this) and then sold out more by some cynical alliances to become a viable national party. They adopted the old “Southern Strategy” after the Democrats abandoned it with JFK/LBJ bringing a lot of racist elements to the table. They hugged the Christian Conservatives in the 70s/80s bringing in a lot of anti-gay, anti-choice, anti-drug, views into the party even while they conflict with a more libertarian philosophy. They made the environment a party issue just to oppose the Democrats and to collect some sweet corporate cash that was just sitting on the barrel head. The immigration thing is hard to figure out given Saint Reagan’s amnesty for millions and GWB’s compassionate conservatism attempts to address the problem in the 2000s.

    The healthcare thing really just looks like racism at this point with the ACA being founded in conservative market principles with the necessary evil of a mandate required to address the preexisting condition problem (otherwise any sane person would just buy insurance when they got sick and not bother with it otherwise). The lie if it being a small government arguement was exposed with the GOP embrace of preexisting condition coverage without any way to make it work (abetted by the weird blanket military spending exception to shrinking the government).

    The current GOP has become the party of anti-truth with fringe conspiracy theories now mainstream and denial of any evidence against its positions as fake becoming standard operating procedure while a bunch of philosophically conservative folks hold their noses and engage with people they would not associate with in order to put some wins on the board.

    It has also become the party of grievance where owning the Libs is a goal instead of a happy side effect.

    It’s sad really. The real debate about taxation, regulation, the role of government, the goals for society, inequality, safety nets, etc. is drowned out by outrage grounded in fiction.

    We are cooking ourselves with climate change. Wealth inequality is skyrocketing. The deficits are exploding. The healthcare system is a bad deal compared to everywhere else. Higher education is out of reach for many unless they want to mortgage their futures while jobs for the undereducated are drying up and paying less. Immigrants, documented or not, really do commit less crime than native-born Americans. Where are the real solutions from the right?
    walktheskyGiovannisgallagher
  • LordBy said:
    earman22 said:
    Ok, so this thing Jim and A' A-Ron (K&P reference) talking about the manipulation of video in our political landscape is coming to fruition. Did anyone see Sarah Huckabee Sanders use an infowars doctored clip of the Jim Acosta (CNN reporter)? They added frames and made it appear as if he was aggressively pushing her arm down prior to her taking the mic. Someone showed side by side frame per frame of how the original footage was changed. This is getting out of hand. I don't know when it will stop. On a side note, it's kind of a sad state of affairs that I've completely changed my world lens view of essentially categorizing angry and non-negotiable and unwilling to talk to people...people into Republicans. And higher intelligent, willing to talk things out, logical people into the Democratic category. It's astonishingly very accurate, i'd say over 85%. Now, am I crazy? I've never viewed myself as a Democrat until around the 2nd Obama administration (due to the mass amount of hate created on the Repub side during his first 4 years). Granted, I'm also in a midsize Texas town (100k or so), and we had about 80% of votes turned in from our county as Republican. I feel like I'm almost to the point to where I'm just fed up and want to pack the kids up and head north (not quite Canada, but close in case I need to)

    Anyways, there's just some random thoughts. I love you guys (in a completely platonic manner), been a listener since I started watching Game of Thrones live around the middle of Season 4. I can listen to you guys talk about anything. Thanks for all you do!

    Troy
    Most conservatives are generally reasonable and thoughtful folks so I would be wary of lumping them all in with the GOP in its current state.


    They lump themselves in with the GOP. They keep voting the crazies in. 
    MegGryffindor
  • Generally speaking I think some conservative principles have merit on the face of it. It just seems the party leaders have abandoned those in favor of race baiting and appeals to ignorance because they’ve decided that winning the culture war is more useful to them than implementing useful policy. I don’t think this is emblematic of Republican voters as a whole but the mainstream Republican politicians have certainly swung hard towards extremist viewpoints and have abandoned many of the principles they previously touted. 
    DoubleA_Ron
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 8
    I mean the Jeff Sessions firing is perfectly emblematic of the failings of the GOP. I think Sessions is a horrible man with a horrible worldview but he did more to advance the agenda that Trump promoted on the campaign trail than any other member of cabinet and as soon as it was convenient to Trump he fired him anyways. Not because he was doing a bad job, by current GOP standards he was doing great actually, it’s because he wouldn’t literally obstruct justice and break the rule of law to help Trump. The party of Trump isn’t about conservative policy or principles or anything substantial, it’s about Donald Trump and how much he thinks you’re personally loyal to him. The party runs based on the whims of Donald Trump and that’s profoundly sad and troubling. They’ve set themselves up as a cult of personality behind an out of touch old man who has at most 6 more years of political power ahead of him. 
  • asmallcat said:
    LordBy said:
    earman22 said:
    Ok, so this thing Jim and A' A-Ron (K&P reference) talking about the manipulation of video in our political landscape is coming to fruition. Did anyone see Sarah Huckabee Sanders use an infowars doctored clip of the Jim Acosta (CNN reporter)? They added frames and made it appear as if he was aggressively pushing her arm down prior to her taking the mic. Someone showed side by side frame per frame of how the original footage was changed. This is getting out of hand. I don't know when it will stop. On a side note, it's kind of a sad state of affairs that I've completely changed my world lens view of essentially categorizing angry and non-negotiable and unwilling to talk to people...people into Republicans. And higher intelligent, willing to talk things out, logical people into the Democratic category. It's astonishingly very accurate, i'd say over 85%. Now, am I crazy? I've never viewed myself as a Democrat until around the 2nd Obama administration (due to the mass amount of hate created on the Repub side during his first 4 years). Granted, I'm also in a midsize Texas town (100k or so), and we had about 80% of votes turned in from our county as Republican. I feel like I'm almost to the point to where I'm just fed up and want to pack the kids up and head north (not quite Canada, but close in case I need to)

    Anyways, there's just some random thoughts. I love you guys (in a completely platonic manner), been a listener since I started watching Game of Thrones live around the middle of Season 4. I can listen to you guys talk about anything. Thanks for all you do!

    Troy
    Most conservatives are generally reasonable and thoughtful folks so I would be wary of lumping them all in with the GOP in its current state.


    They lump themselves in with the GOP. They keep voting the crazies in. 
    I agree, and that is the sad part.

    The party of values now values winning for winning’s sake and triggering the libs above all else.

    If you believe the alternative is a party of secret communist Muslim infiltrators funded by Jews (they would say “globalists”) our to turn “your” country into a fusion of the old Soviet Union and the current Venezuela under Sharia law while banning Christmas and giving your job to a brown-skinned foreigner. This is why the abandonment of truth is so dangerous. You can justify anything when you believe the alternative is the worst thing you can imagine.

    Social Democrats want to transform the country into Scandinavia, not Venezuela, and they should own that. Higher taxes? Yes. Slower growth? Probably. Happiest countries on earth despite the weather? Yup.

    Governing to maximize shareholder value gives you the Gilded Age and that was only good if you were a Rockefeller (Vanderbilt, Morgan, Hearst, etc.)
    Giovanni
  • This sure doesn't seem like a party that thinks they can win elections if everyone shows up and has their vote counted.

    "The lawsuit alleges that signature verification must stop when polls close, and seeks an injunction to stop the counting of such ballots that have been verified after then. It's unclear how many of these votes still remain outstanding, but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema."

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona-senate-race-gop-sues-mail-in-ballots-martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema/
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    earman22 said:
    I love you guys (in a completely platonic manner)

    Well, fuck. I got my hopes up.
    gguenotKate23Flukesweeniegirl
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 8
    Anyways, while I enjoy this kind of intellectual circle jerk every now and then I suppose it would be more productive to get down to the business at hand, which is currently either debating the merits of presidential candidates or organizing protests to the flagrant abuses of power by the Trump admin. Like this one:
    https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response-events/search/
    JaimieT
  • With get out the vote successful it’s time to get out the protests!
  • Let’s just keep it classy. Shouting people out of restaurants and chanting threats outside of Tucker Carlson’s house may feel good, but it isn’t helping.

    Large peaceful protests are good. If you want to go after Tucker for being a racist D-bag, organize an add boycott rather than scaring his family.
    Jovial_Falconrustywright4
  • Yeah protesting people’s family homes is both classless and counterproductive. Instead go protest outside Fox News or boycott their advertisers. 
  • I was just thinking that at least Senators elected this year, of either party, know that they won’t ever have to run in an election with Trump in the middle of it again since they won’t be up until 2024 when even a second term for him would be ending.

    Then it occurred to me: if Trump gets a second term, then you know that Don Jr. will be running in 2024...
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    LordBy said:
    I was just thinking that at least Senators elected this year, of either party, know that they won’t ever have to run in an election with Trump in the middle of it again since they won’t be up until 2024 when even a second term for him would be ending.

    Then it occurred to me: if Trump gets a second term, then you know that Don Jr. will be running in 2024...
    If Trump gets a second term you need to just burn the country to the ground and start again. 
    gguenot
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited November 8
    We survived Obama for 2 terms. I’m sure we’ll
    survive a (possible) second term of Trump. I don’t know who the Democrats have to run against him. Sanders? Pelosi? Warren?
    Jovial_Falcon
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    No comparison, but go off, I guess. 
    SnarlingNikki
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited November 8
    I totally agree no comparison. Our economy is fantastic, we have new judges confirmed, roll back of regulations, the tax cuts , the list goes on and on.
    DeeFlukes
  • I mean the good economy isn’t something attributable to Trump (in fact his frequent trade wars will probably hurt the economy), those roll backs will mean more toxins in drinking water like an increase in mercury and lead, and that tax cut was primarily aimed at people far richer than you which they planned on paying for, had they won the house, by massively cutting healthcare, Medicaid, and Medicare which they then openly lied about despite admitting to this fact mere weeks before the midterms; but sure, looks great to me. 
    DeeJaimieTKate23
Sign In or Register to comment.