Weed!

kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
I found a shop that sells weed and other products has opened within a couple blocks from my house. I had some questions about these new products that have come out since I stopped buying. I used to smoke in the late eighties and into the early nineties. I stoppedj around the time Jerry Garcia died. No reason just got tired of it. I wasn’t interested in the whole medical thing. Now I’m curious and I want to listen to some Hawkwind while being ablitorrated. 
So I bought some 300mg “sugar stoned” candies. I was wondering if anyone knows about these and what products they might recommend. Anyway feel free to comment.
MattyWeavesdarwinfeeshy

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I would definitely say when it comes to edibles, be conservative when eating. It's very easy to eat too much and if you're not used to it, you might have a bad time. They can also be very slow to come on so definitely take your time.

I would also recommend some kind of disposable vape pen. Usually those things are very good at giving you regulated dosages and it hits you pretty quickly so it's easier to judge how much you'll need. Good luck!
    kingbee67darwinfeeshy
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @Murderbear thanks, I’m going to take it slow, real slow. I’m trying to stay away from smoking because I cough a lot, I mean a lot. Also I’m trying to avoid nicotine and from what I remember weed has some nicotine in it. 
    Murderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited November 8
    I was in Cali over Labor Day weekend and went for a low THC CBD pen (got it from MedMen in West Hollywood). I think it was around 4%. Loved it. Basically hit it constantly and never got stoned. Just a super mellow, functional high. Barely even there, just the way I like it. Was a heavy smoker back in high school and right after (to this day when people ask me why I hardly ever smoke, I always fire back with "I've smoked enough for all of y'all!"). I took a break at some point, and to this day, it's never been the same again. Still love a good high every now and again, but can't stand being stoned. That shit is the worst.

On a somewhat related note: If you think Texas has fucked up laws when it comes to weed, wait until you read up on concentrate/extract laws. Basically, you might as well be walking around with cocaine or meth. Crazy to me how many people I see around town being so cavalier about it.
    kingbee67
  • I like the mints that are like 5mg thc per mint. 1 mint to chill out a bit, and you can take another 1 or 2 if you want to get stoned (depending on your tolerance etc.) Plus they travel well.

kingbee67Kate23
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @MrX the mints sound like a good idea.
    I looked at the package of candy a little closer and it looks like 10mg per candy. I also read some thing also warning about edibles on some web page mostly what Murderbear was sayin and I’m like I don’t wanna go running screaming into the night. But I ate the whole bag of shrooms in 120 degree desert and lived to tell. So I should be ok I guess.
    The vapes I'm taking about are oil based and shouldn't have any nicotine in them. But if you're wanting to avoid coughing, definitely stick with the edibles.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited November 9
    The vapes I'm taking about are oil based and shouldn't have any nicotine in them. But if you're wanting to avoid coughing, definitely stick with the edibles.
    True story: Meth can't make you chief.

edit: Is "chief" insensitive? I've been out of the weed smoking game for a long time. Back in my day "chief" was what you said when you coughed.
    I always knew chiefing as hitting something hard. Like chiefing on a blunt.
  • @kingbee67

Weed doesn't contain nicotine, but if you're not comfortable with inhaling smoke, then edibles are the way to go!
  • I can’t wait for the east to catch up. Some countries are starting to rethink their position and we might get medicinal marijuana in the next 5 years. 

If i told you a Korea released a memorandum to their citizens saying they would be arrested for having THC in their system when coming back from countries that legalised marijuana I would bet 99% would say it’s North Korea....

nope. South Korea legit warned their citizens when Canada legalised it. And they will arrest you simply by having it in your system. They have the right to drug test you on arrival in customs. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hatorian said:
    I can’t wait for the east to catch up. Some countries are starting to rethink their position and we might get medicinal marijuana in the next 5 years. 

If i told you a Korea released a memorandum to their citizens saying they would be arrested for having THC in their system when coming back from countries that legalised marijuana I would bet 99% would say it’s North Korea....

nope. South Korea legit warned their citizens when Canada legalised it. And they will arrest you simply by having it in your system. They have the right to drug test you on arrival in customs. 
    And traces stay in your system for around 30 days, if memory serves.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Because for some reason NY is way behind on this, I don't have access to edibles or the like, so I'm just throwing another option out there in the event you want to "smoke" actual weed.

I have a Pax vaporizer that heats up, "dried herbs." It's expensive, but it was an investment for me a couple years ago because I didn't see it being legalized here anytime soon and I personally don't like the liquid stuff. It's safer than smoking a joint/pipe/bong what have you in terms of smoke, and the smell doesn't linger because it's not actual smoke (unless this has been proven false and I haven't noticed.)

It also doubles as a hand warmer in the colder months.

Oh and just because I've read many things about people claiming it doesn't work. I've literally ground up weed into very fine crumbs and baked them into blueberry muffins. It was super powerful and they tasted no different. I did find myself in Michael's looking at the paint supply and suddenly realizing I was way too stoned to talk to the cashier. So I hung out looking at art supplies for twenty minutes.
    MurderbearFlukes
    @MattyWeaves I have the Fez vaporizer that does the same thing and it's wonderful! 
    MattyWeaves
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'm interested in knowing what's important when comparing pen vaporizers like these. The Fez is about $180 CDN whereas the Pax 2 is $200. I have no idea if that's a good price. Can anyone with experience lay out what's a useful feature and what's a waste of money?

Commercial edibles aren't legal yet in Canada. They're still working out the legislative side. My wife had discussed some sort of edible might be nice as a sleep aid or just chill out on a weekend night.
    I got mine on sale for $89 two years ago. I like it because it's easy to carry, is semi discreet and I feel like the high I get off of it is cleaner than most other ways. It's perfect for one or two people. There is a little bit of maintenance but it is just taking a brush to the screen under the mouthpiece occasionally when it gets clogged.

It was my Christmas present to myself that year and it might not be for everyone. I enjoy experience different ways to smoke. There is a slight learning curve to it on how much to grind your stuff up, what heating setting you like but once you dial it in, I think it's great.
    Flukes
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    When I visited a dispensary in Seattle over the summer, the employee that I talked with was extremely helpful when it came to helping me find what I needed.i was looking for something for pain and anxiety, not recreation. But I bet they’re just as helpful for recreational use. They can definitely tell you which strands/types are best for you if you have different conditions (like if you have anxiety you don’t want to use this type because it could make you more anxious) 

lots of good advice here too :) I had a lot of help from
    the BM community when I inquired before my trip! 
    FlukesMurderbear
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I would say the above is literally my review for the Pax as well. But I'll add a bit of my experience.

Depending on the bud type and how well it grinds, my biggest advantage is how much I get out of it. I'd say roughly one full packed Pax 2 is equal to two joints. Not in terms of amount of weed but how much I smoke out of it in terms of puffs.

When you factor in losing a little bit in a J to burning, and maybe not wanting to smoke the clip when it gets low, I'd say I save some money with the Pax.

I've tested the smell a few times as well. My wife says it does give off a scent when heating up, but it doesn't linger. I've taken a few puffs before people come over (that don't smoke) to see if they smell it, and they never have.

It's also loads easier to clean than a pipe or anything else I've smoked out of.

And @Murderbear that fez looks quite intriguing.
    Flukes
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I hit up a dispensary while I was in Vegas. I know my way around herb, but the candies and oils are a totally new thing for me. The store was very chill (which, you know, makes sense) and informative and spend a good 15-20 minutes with me helping me make my selections.

Man, we could have had that in Ohio back in 2015, but the old folks and the libertarians* tag teamed it to kill it, and now the state legislature has made it nearly impossible to get it back on the ballot through a citizen initiative. And Ohio legislature passed medical back in 2016, and there are still no legal ways to get it in state. We'll have to wait for national legislation now. Which, while we're discussing it, I can't believe the democrats don't just run legalization as a national platform and take over the country.

* = If that seems crazy, it's because they didn't like that the bill's sponsors carved out a few years exclusive growing rights in the bill. Which fair enough, but goddamn, we'd have been eligible to expand the growers start of this year. 
    TaraC73