906 - Who Are You Now? (Fan Edition)

Written by Eddie Guzelian (811: Dead or Alive Or; 814: Still Gotta Mean Something)
Directed by Larry Teng (807: Time for After)
russkelly

Comments

• Well alright folks, since this is a deeply silly show I thought I’d try out an equally silly experiment for these last few weeks. This will be the “Fan” thread for 906, what that basically means is constructive criticism like “I really think the show is good but I wish they would give Darryl more lines” etc. is ok but hating “fuck TWD and fuck AMC” is not. Fortunately I have created a separate thread for all you who like to hatewatch this show and we will all do our level best to keep the two separated. 
  • This will also be a non spoilers thread unless I receive feedback from you all that you don’t care. Anything AMC releases publicly is fine but show leaks or comic spoilers beyond vague hints are not. 
  • If the Fan Editions do not receive a noticeable amount of comments over the next three weeks I will discontinue them for 9b so this is a trial run for all you people who don’t like to see the overly negative comments on this show. 
  • Bump now that episode is on. 
  • Pretty decent episode, some typical TWD style contrivances but overall about what I’ve come to expect from the improved quality of this season. 
    blue_sleeve
  • Notably, not written by one Scott Gimple, ruiner of shows, who is also not writing on the rest of this season, which is a good sign. 
  • edited November 2018
    My thoughts remain the same as last week. Somehow, Angela Kang has managed to pull me back in and I’m really digging this time jump/storyline. It’s refreshing and at least for now, I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes. (A feeling I have not had since before the savors.). Also, Carol continues to be a badass and I love it!!
    Alkaid13tonyp1222sebbin_up
  • Also, I am all on board the timejump train which has single handily renewed my interests in this show for at least two more weeks. Should be a fun ride. 
    bnelson78blue_sleeve
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 2018
    I am actually hyped to see what Jesus, no not that Jesus, the other Jesus, looks like after tenish years to grow out those lucious locks. If Darryl is any sort of estimate it should be glorious and I cannot wait. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Also, I am all on board the timejump train which has single handily renewed my interests in this show for at least two more weeks. Should be a fun ride. 
    Are those 2 weeks culminating in the halfway point of S9 or the finale???

(I am assuming halfway based on previous seasons but so much has changed that I wasn’t sure?)
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Also, I am all on board the timejump train which has single handily renewed my interests in this show for at least two more weeks. Should be a fun ride. 
    Are those 2 weeks culminating in the halfway point of S9 or the finale???

(I am assuming halfway based on previous seasons but so much has changed that I wasn’t sure?)
    I believe the halfway point. Like previous years, it will pick pack up in the spring.
  • I liked pretty much everything about this ep, not the least of which being Ezekiel and Carol's bed and the color of their wall. LOVE Carol 2.0, love Eugene 3.0, love the new people (and the scene where we learn more about them is one of the best in the last 4 or 5 years.) Loved Darryl's encounter with who and/or what I will call Harold and the circle-of-life-on-acid moment. And I imagined a laugh track (and/or "Kramer!" applause) behind a discussion regarding math. 

Love Michonne's "I'm older" cheeks and touch of grey in her hair.
    Had forgotten Rosita existed. There's a character named Terry too, right? Is it Terry? Something with a T... ah, no matter. 
    Some of the new cast was on Talking Dead. They're very energized, engaging and endearing. 
    If there was anything bad enough for me to notice, I didn't notice. I'm just happy to be watching this show and not feeling miserable for these fictional people.

blue_sleeve
  • On balance, a good episode.  The council meeting was painfully drawn out and I hope Judith takes a back seat for the rest of the season.  But an episode where the plot is meaningfully advanced and people go places and do things?  More of that, please.  I know it won't happen but played right the new bad guys could be a solid 1.5 seasons of entertainment.  I'm afraid they'll rush through them as the comics did or worse, though.
  • I’m confused with Michonne. I’m sort of phone watching the show cuz it’s not good enough to keep my full attention. But does she have a kid now? And is that supposed to be ricks kid? Also is that X supposed to mean she gave up a kidney or had a transplant or something? I mean she did have blood on her arm that episode which was weird. 
  • Holy shit. Carol is Kayser Soze.

GiovanniTaraC73Kela15Schlupp
  • Hatorian said:
    I’m confused with Michonne. I’m sort of phone watching the show cuz it’s not good enough to keep my full attention. But does she have a kid now? And is that supposed to be ricks kid? Also is that X supposed to mean she gave up a kidney or had a transplant or something? I mean she did have blood on her arm that episode which was weird. 
    The kid is Ricks based on the last conversation they had in bed about the future or something like that. The goop on her arm i took to be remnants of her nightly going out to kill walkers fest. The only think i can think about the X is that it is a prison scar. She knew about Magna's prison scar now all of a sudden she has a scar none of us have ever seen before. 

lengmoKela15Hatorian
  • The time jump was awesome. This was probably the best walking dead episode ever.
    GruffyWinters
  • The time jump and finally moving forward in the story has pulled me back into the show.   I was ready to quit after the last couple of seasons.   Glad to see that Carol is still a bad ass.   Was I the only one who went “aw” when Michonne talked to RJ and Judith calling her Mom?    The odd scar on her back makes no sense, though.   Here is hoping they continue on their present trajectory of telling some actual story this year.  
    blue_sleeve
  • Yeah, that scene where the new characters gave their back story was like, actually done quite well and with some art to it. 
    blue_sleeve
  • That was a great scene and I really like the new folks. They're a lovely tight-knit group for 4 people with nothing in common. There's a nice familiarity among them, and an equal share of power it seems. 

So... how are that all going to be ruined? lol.... 

• i'm unsure about the kid now. He really isn't old enough to be Rick's child. That little kid was not 5 years old. Anyone think he is all in Michonne's head? Other than Magna seeing him through the window (and we don't know what she actually saw) nobody else makes any reference to him. He doesn't have a nanny like little kid Judith always had and Michonne seems to come and go without any of the plan-making a parent of a small child would be doing. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    He is definitely michonne and ricks. You figure michonne was 5 minutes pregnant when Rick blew up last week. 10 months pregnancy, plus a 5-6 year time jump. Absolutely that kid is real. I turned on the captions when she was in the dark kitchen with him because I couldn’t figure out what she was saying to him - she called him RJ. I ASSume Rick jr?  But yeah, after some math I am cool with this kid being here and ricks.
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Many will hate my guts for having the nerve to say this, but I feel losing Rick Grimes will be a great thing for this show since it'll give us far more Michonne and Carol being badass 'n stuff and thangs.
    TaraC73GruffyWintersDemic
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    You have a point @Kela15!
  • That X on Michone isn’t definitely not prison relateD. That’s a scar not a prison tattoo. 
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Hatorian said:
    That X on Michone isn’t definitely not prison relateD. That’s a scar not a prison tattoo. 
    Indeed. Located just at kidney level. That can't be a pre-apocalypse scar though, not with that shape. Could organ transplant be even possible in the apocalypse??? Seems highly unlikely.
  • Kela15 said:
    Hatorian said:
    That X on Michone isn’t definitely not prison relateD. That’s a scar not a prison tattoo. 
    Indeed. Located just at kidney level. That can't be a pre-apocalypse scar though, not with that shape. Could organ transplant be even possible in the apocalypse??? Seems highly unlikely.
    Yea. I don’t know. It’s the same exact spot where Rick got impaled though...
  • Maybe there is ssomething to the fact ricks kid looks like 3-4 years old and Michonne just happens to have a nasty scar in the same spot where Rick would need some sort of transplant from that injury...
    Kela15lengmo
  • I should have said “prison mark”. Obviously it’s not a tattoo. No organ transplants in the zombie apocalypse. They are tough to do now plus require lifelong medication to prevent rejection. Memorial scar? Maybe, but how would she know he was injured in that spot? She was across the river and in a panic. As for little RJ, I’ll chalk it up to bad casting. The child looked too young but maybe when we finally see him dressed and in the light and interacting he’ll turn out to be 5years old. 
    Kela15
  • Nancylyn said:
    As for little RJ, I’ll chalk it up to bad casting. The child looked too young but maybe when we finally see him dressed and in the light and interacting he’ll turn out to be 5years old. 
    Or maybe the show runners are more concerned with RJ looking too old in a couple of seasons, so they cast someone on the young side.
    TaraC73HatorianDeek_Fasay