Netflix's - Marvel's DareDevil

You guys should watch this. It's great. Best super hero show ever made.  

Much better than Gotham (but that's not hard!), and most TV shows in general.

Comments

• Michael_CMichael_C The great white north
    So far I've watched the first two episodes. Its pretty fantastic. The acting and the way the action is filmed are what have impressed me most so far. Hopefully it keeps up for the rest of the season. 
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 2015
    I am watching the first episode now and so far all I'm seeing is Owen from Boardwalk Empire. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it's kind of distracting.

Spotted two Australian actors so far - oi oi oi.
    steph_b
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I'm super excited for this.  I've got a bunch of travel and kid birthday parties this weekend, and Mad Men and GoT to take in, but I for one really enjoyed the Ben Affleck take on the mythos (the only real problem for that movie was Colin Farrel's Bullseye), and I think DD would fit the small screen very well. 
    fathergeorgeDrew
  • As a fan of the Frank Miller era of Daredevil I am really looking forward to watching this series. 3 episodes in and I am very pleased. Shit just hearing the name Matt Murdock gave me chills. The casting of Foggy Nelson is perfect and very happy to see Baby Vamp Jessica gainfully employed.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Just about to dive in...
  • This show is a great addition to the MCU! I like the subtle references to the movies.

*SPOILERS EPISODES 1 - 4*

How they refer to the destruction of NYC from the Avengers as "the incident"
    and in episode 4 how there's a comment about how a regular Joe like Murdock keeps defeating the grunts without something like an iron suit or a magical hammer.

Great stuff. It's already ruined every other super hero TV show for me. It's great how Matt actually gets hurt and takes those Ls and they affect him instead of him just getting up and being magically alright all the time, and how the bad guys keep getting back up and don't just go down in one hit. Matt has to work to keep them down. Also this show gets pretty bloody too. Really refreshing. 

*END*
    fathergeorge
    It's not perfect, but after 4 episodes it's beginning to heat up. Vincent D'Onofrio is amazing as usual, and I love the fight choreography he did in ep 4. Foggy is a little annoying; he would be my bet to be the one who dies to Make It Personal for the hero.
    hypergenesb
    I'm sure he's been in other stuff, but I recognized the reporter as the Not Economically Viable guy from Falling Down:

hodgatola
  • BransformerBransformer North Carolina
    I'm finishing up ep 6. This show is damned amazing. Who's watching and what do u think? Best Netflix show so far?
  • BransformerBransformer North Carolina
    This show is fantastic
  • One episode in - I am enjoying it.  The Frank Miller Daredevil series was the thing that got me back into comics in my teens.  My wife (who isn't a comic book fan, but open-minded enough to give any series a fair shake) pointed out that the "suspension of disbelief factor" is low for a comic book franchise.  Consequently, she has bought in.  The good news is - I have someone to watch it with.  The bad news - our busy schedules will limited viewing opportunities.  I'll have to work hard to stay spoiler free. 
  • Call me crazy but I really like Foggy.
    SlytherinSister
  • Would this show be ok to watch with my 8 year old son?
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't let my 9 year old watch it, having seen 3 episodes now. I'd say it's a notch below Game of Thrones in terms of gore, though it's visually darker which helps a bit. Lots of crunchy limb breaking and it gets bloody here and there.

**On second thought, just watched some more and I'd say definitely not. 
  • This show is better than the wire ! There is said it !
    Frakkin TtrippyJim
    Is it just me, or was episode 7 basically a ripoff of Nolan's Ra's al Gul/League of Shadows storyline? Come to think of it, there is a lot of Batman influence here. It's not necessarily bad because I am still having a great time watching. 
  • I really like this show. I'm a huge marvel fan and am actually looking forward more to seeing DD, Power Man, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist fight together in this world than I am the Avengers 2. It's very refreshing. Hope they make Punisher and Blade with Netflix too now.
    Just finished the pilot, it was excellent! Plus, I'd totally forgot she was in it and got unexpectedly Deborah Ann *Swoll*. I too really enjoyed how the show fits within the larger marvel universe.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I've watched the first four.  I'm really liking Charlie Cox, and Toby Leonard Moore also.  The acting all-around is solid, even if the characters are thinly drawn.  Not a fan of Foggy, but I don't dislike him either.  It has that super grimdark feel of Nolan's Batman and could use some levity, but the action is well-choreographed and the production values are stellar.  I love it when things that are set in NYC are actually filmed in NYC.  Hell's Kitchen does feel like a character in the show.  (Well, the show's version of Hell's Kitchen, anyway.) 

As a comic book superhero television show, it's the best I've seen, but as a television show in general, it's typical Netflix: competently-made and pretty but ultimately hollow (so far).
    hypergenesb
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Watched three so far and I think I'm hooked.  The action choreography is probably my favourite thing about this show.  I'm a sucker for that almost-drunken-master messiness in my fight sequences.  You get the impression that DD is relying on instinct and sheer endurance.  My favourite superheroes are the ones without super powers.
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    This show doesn't kid around. Wasn't expecting this level of violence. Pretty cool.

Was watching it more as background noise to doing work though, so gonna have to start from the beginning to really follow it.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    It's a different show than House and Orange, but I do like it. Saw the first 2 episodes, will definitely watch the entire season. That tracking shot at the end of episode 2 was great.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

This show is better than the wire ! There is said it !

Slow down there buddy..different universes.

Watched the first two, really like it so far, will be binging the season soon.
    I keep thinking how amazing Jon Bernthal would be as Matt's father.
    fathergeorge
  • For those of you saying it feels like a Nolan/Dark Knight rip I'd have to say you've got it backwards. This is heavily inspired by by Frank Millers Daredevil from the early 1980s.
  • JasonCage5JasonCage5 Delray Beach
    edited April 2015
    This season was amazing. One if the few shows I've binged from start to finish on a season. Marvel has finally dished out a fantastic and evil villain like Loki. Once you're introduced the Kingpin you're going to be hooked. I can't name a lot shows where I don't care who's on the screen. The acting is great. Every character has some type of back story, giving you a reason to like or dislike them.

Also, the fight scenes are amazing. Matt Murdock gets his ass handed to him multiple times and I love how you can see him getting tired trying to take down the same three thugs because it doesn't take one punch to knock someone out.

Even though this is an ABC production and they don't say fuck, they don't hold back with violence or gore. I felt like I was watching what I imagine when I read a PG-13 rated comic book. Can't wait for season 2!
    fathergeorge
    I watched the second episode last night, and that fight scene was amazing, very Banshee-esque.  Cecily mentioned that it reminded her of Old Boy, then she found out I hadn't seen Old Boy, then she made me watch Old Boy, then I curled up in a fetal position and spent the rest of the night sucking my thumb.  

I didn't get to binge as much as I wanted to, haha...
    pavlovsbellFlukes
  • I watched the first 6 episodes over the weekend (yeah, Jim watching super hero stuff, what?).  I thought the first couple episodes were incredible.  The fight choreography and the flashback stuff.... wow. I intended to background watch it while I played some games and found myself losing because I couldn't stop watching the show.  Maybe that says more about the games I'm playing than the show but I loved it.

Episodes 3 - 6 were good, just not quite as good.  I haven't been as engaged by the Kingpin storyline as I would have hoped.  The most interesting thing they did with Kingpin is slowly reveal how he and Daredevil have similar goals ("clean up the town") with similar motivations ("father-related childhood trauma") but it drives them to different ends.  I liked that a lot.

Of course, there are LOTS of liberties taken with the idea that he's blind and his other senses are supernaturally heightened but I guess I'll just have to get over that.

Overall it's a thumbs up from me, which is rare for super hero shit.
    pavlovsbellFlukesPiilaniJR
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    The Oldboy homage is fantastic.  I thought for sure there were some hidden cuts, but  apparently it was a single take with the occasional switch between Charlie Cox and the stunt guy.  I appreciate how they captured his increasing exhaustion, and then how he remembered to remove his mask and soften his demeanor for the scared kid.  Impressive stuff.
  • I wanted to see the whole thing before commenting, just finished. I liked it very much, definitely my favorite show of its genre. To my mind it's what shows like Arrow wish they were. It had just the right amount of self awareness about its absurdities. I did think there were a few too many unnecessary acrobatic flips and twirls and whatnot but it generally wasn't too distracting. I do hope that season 2 has a lot more lawyery stuff. 

**very minor spoiler below**

I did have one minor unforgivably dumb part in the last episode when Fisk is in the armored vehicle. They're in a goddamn armored vehicle and the driver gets headshotted with a stupid little M4 or something. Completely absurd. If they wanted to write it that way just put him in a Suburban or something, or at least have one of the attackers have a Barrett .50 BMG and just disable the vehicle altogether. That would accomplish the exact same thing and be 100% realistic.