Stan Lee has died at 95

Comments

• Just saw this as well.  Sucks.  Guess no more cameos in the marvel movies.  Definitely an all time legend in the comic book/superhero world.
  • He lived a long life and was still quite scrappy when I saw him here at Salt Lake Comic Con in 2014. He accomplished a lot in his years, but still sad to hear that he’s gone.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I got to sit about 8 feet from him and hear him give a speech at Heroescon in Charlotte about 5-6 years ago.  It was cool to be in the presence of someone who had so much influence on the industry with Jack Kirby's help.  

Those 2 guys wrote/drew 5-6 books a month when Marvel first got started. That output is mindboggling today.  That first 50 issues of the Fantastic Four is some of the most creative and important comic runs in the silver age.

I posted this on another thread, but I worried about him when his wife passed away last year.  They were together a LONG time.  

He loved comics and he loved his fans, Excelsior!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/12/entertainment/stan-lee-obit/index.html

• Not many people can redefine an industry mostly through their moxie and brain power, he certainly did.  Even with all the creator shenanigans that went on with work for hire, it's nice that he got to see his creations explode into the mainstream the way they have the last 10 years.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Aside from Christianity, Stan Lee is probably the second biggest shaper of my morality and ethics. He lived a full and rich life, and is beloved by millions. What can you say, except "excelsior"? 

Murderbearhisdudeness915HatorianAww_PHuuCk
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man, what a hit. He lived a good long life and was instrumental in forming how I view the world and what I expect of myself, similar to what @A_Ron_Hubbard said above. 
  • I’ve taken a day to gather my thoughts before reacting to Stan Lee’s passing. Comic books have been such an important part of my life and his work in particular has had a massive impact on me.

When I was a little kid, I lived in an English part of Montreal – all of my friends and family were English – but when I started school I was sent to a French immersion school. That was my first real exposure to the French language. I hadn’t spoken a word of French before I started school. It also happened to be at a time of political turmoil and many of my teachers had little patience for an English kid and refused to speak to me in a language that I could understand. My 3rd grade teacher -a horrible woman named Ange DuPuis - told me that I was stupid. Not surprisingly, I was horrible student, straight Ds barely passing each year.

My first breakthrough in learning French came from comic books – European comics from France and Belgium like “Asterix” and “Tin Tin”. Being able to match words with pictures made it easier for me to learn French, at least enough where I could get by at school.

When I was 11 my family moved to Toronto – no more French to struggle through! – but I quickly learned that as a result of my French schooling, I was way behind in my level of English reading. When I left Montreal, I was reading 10 page “Dick & Jane” books. My first week in Toronto I was assigned a copy of “Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang” and told I had two weeks to read it. I was lost.

Comics saved me again. Once again I dove into comic books, English Marvel comics this time. It was this world created by Stan Lee that changed everything for me. I went from being a terrible student who could barely read to a straight A student would couldn’t find enough things to read. The kid who thought of reading “Jacob Two-Two” as an impossible task became a kid living in a room that was over crowded with books (something that is still true to this day!).

It isn’t just my love of reading that I owe to Stan, there’s so much more…my intellectual curiosity, my love of science, technology, NASA, space exploration etc all have their roots in Stan’s writing. Even my politics and social views were shaped by Stan (Marvel’s “mutants” were thinly veiled stand-ins for the Civil Rights Movement). His influence on me and who I became are so enormous that I can’t imagine who I’d be had I not discovered his work, but I’m certain I would have been much different...and worse off for it.

Rest in peace Stan.

darwinfeeshy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 14
    Aside from Christianity, Stan Lee is probably the second biggest shaper of my morality and ethics. He lived a full and rich life, and is beloved by millions. What can you say, except "excelsior"? 

Yea. Stan Lee is one of those exceptions of someone I never met but had a huge impact on my life.