810 - "Apocalypse Then" - SEASON FINALE!(?)

Directed by: Team Cecily
Written by: Team A.Ron
hisdudeness915djcaudle01Michellecdrivexulsolar22alina_macElisa

Comments

• The beginning of the end of the beginning...of the END!!!     
    alina_mac
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Thought this was a great season finale to a season that was falling off big time. Alright, I’m all aboard the AHS train again for the upcoming seasons.
    Elisa
    I started to fall off after the murder house episode (im ready for the hate) and really contemplated giving up after the halloween one. Luckily my wife never gave up so I stuck it out and I’m glad I did. A fantastic wrap up, great ending, and loved the cast. 
    Just wish there were a bit more papa legba, thought he was always a great character who never got enough screentime.
    Elisa
  • So is there just always bound to be an anti-christ? Or did they visit the murder house and have sex? I thought the reason why Langdon was born was partially due to the house. 
    Now that everyone’s had a chance to catch up, I’d like to just vent for the sake of venting...
    I HATE TIME TRAVEL AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES ALONG WITH IT.
    thank you, that is all. 
    alina_mactelephoneofmadnessElisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    gguenot said:
    So is there just always bound to be an anti-christ? Or did they visit the murder house and have sex? I thought the reason why Langdon was born was partially due to the house. 
    Ryan Murphy is cackling maniacally at the thought of us asking these questions, as if he has pondered these details for a single second.

If I were Malllory, I would always question if I am just in an alternate timeline, and Michael is still ruling the Earth with all of my sisters being dead in the timeline I travelled from. Is that version of them still in Hell or purgatory in that timeline? Does it really matter?
    gguenottelephoneofmadnessElisa
  • edited November 15
    Huh, dare I say banger? The first half of this episode was super enjoyable! But the back half just seemed rushed. I don’t understand why they would have the ‘mediocre’ Halloween episode of filler when it left them having to jam pack the last episode. In my opinion, they could have easily  made this a cliffhanger / continuation into next season or just don’t have a filler episode. I’m curious to know if A.Ron and Cecily would agree?

Regardless, probably my favorite season of AHS and I’m hoping Murphy continues to connect seasons moving forward. Bring on the Aliens!! #TeamCecily 
    cdriveTBINKANSASElisa
    I was a bit confused on how the kids were going to produce the anti christ but my wife said maybes it’s because they really ARE the twins from season 2. Fingers crossed they bring back the aliens.
    blue_sleevealina_macElisa
  • edited November 15
    So do we think this is a clean wrap up or that we’re gonna come back for an ultimate battle next season (or the season after) where Mallory is stronger?

I don’t understand her not warning about the antichrists existence and possible return. They all could’ve been working to banash his energy somehow. He ages rapidly so just because he was born later doesn’t mean they can’t stay on a similar timeline.

Was the plan behind the teens to birth a new antichrist in the event of michaels death? I wonder what the marker for “Antichrist genes” is but maybe they tested michaels genes at some point to figure that out. We may never know.

Also I wonder how many times she’ll go through the cycle of destroying the antichrist. Need to know if they’ll continue this story after this season 

alina_macElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Interesting! Looks like our opinion on the finale is not perhaps in the mainstream? 
    Elisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Banger. Total banger.  Angela Bassett, Jessica Lange. Sarah Paulson moist upper lip. Just deserts Dinah Stevens.  Cordelia going Obi-Wan. Myrtle’s hair is a mystery never to be understood.  
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 15
    Sarah Paulson's bottle blonde hair and extra dark brown eyebrows are distracting me.   Pick a lane!
    But lol @ Myrtle coming up out of the apocalyptic ground looking like Pippi Longstocking.

25 min. in and really into this.  I will say though, the identity spell sequence was a little eyerolly.  I was expecting Coco to say "omg, you got glitter in my eye you bitch!"
    Elisa
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    Banger finale! Except for the epilogue about the teens which undid the season and created more plotholes....

Pros:
    Angela Fuckin' Basset!
    The Kathy Bots Explosion!
    Cons:
    Chekhov's radiated Billy Eichner.
    Chekhov's "My death will be her strength" trope that they have literally been talking about all GD season

But seriously about the teens (aka twins). How did Michael presumably know they could birth a back-up antichrist? Why are they special enough to create an antichrist to begin with, especially without the aid of the Murder House's portal to hell??? 

It just seems like every Supreme should use Dr Xavier's Cerebro every few years to find the next antichrist and kill that baby. Yes, the witches should get into the habit of killing babies because apparently this is going to keep happening because time is a flat circle and none of this matters! Ugh!
    Elisa
  • alina_mac said:
    Banger finale! Except for the epilogue about the teens which undid the season and created more plotholes....

Pros:
    Angela Fuckin' Basset!
    The Kathy Bots Explosion!
    Cons:
    Chekhov's radiated Billy Eichner.
    Chekhov's "My death will be her strength" trope that they have literally been talking about all GD season

But seriously about the teens (aka twins). How did Michael presumably know they could birth a back-up antichrist? Why are they special enough to create an antichrist to begin with, especially without the aid of the Murder House's portal to hell??? 

It just seems like every Supreme should use Dr Xavier's Cerebro every few years to find the next antichrist and kill that baby. Yes, the witches should get into the habit of killing babies because apparently this is going to keep happening because time is a flat circle and none of this matters! Ugh!
    Everything after your pro/con list is why I was disappointed with the finale. Very rushed and didn’t make sense. Why didn’t Mrytle hypnotize the two tech bros to make them screw up their apocolypse plans? Time travel saves the day? Time travel needs to be fleshed out and all of its rules explained in order for there not to be 10 head scratching questions and I feel like they didn’t do that. 

Bassett coming back was really cool and the showdown was fun, but I thought it was a poor finale 
  • I'm going to toss this out there:

Michael was not the Anti-Christ.  I think he was a distraction.

It would explain why his "father" would never talk to him, and why he really did not seem to have any actual direction.  He was just really trying to be the Anti-Christ while being manipulated by others who were way more competent.  He said throughout the entire season that he didn't know what his father wanted him to do.  Also, what was the end game?  Play Bunker with a bunch of rich SOBs?  I was really disappointed in that, that's really the Fallen Angel's final goal?

Oh, Michael is really, really evil.  He is born of a demon.  But I think he may have been the John the Baptist to this kids actual Anti-Christ.  Mistaken by many to be the thing that he is actually a portent of.

And, if you are evil incarnate, you throw your misbegotten son (Michael) at the witches and see their entire game plan for defeating you.  They've shown all their cards and strategies and thrown it all away on a practice run.

Sorta makes evil a little smarter in this universe than I was going to go for.

djcaudle01Elisa
  • "Evil truffle pig."

If Mallory went back in time, shouldn't there be two Mallorys in the new timeline? Also, if there can only be one Supreme, why doesn't Cordelia-Supreme die as soon as Mallory-Supreme arrives in the past? Also, why does Antichrist 2.0 have to be born in California, where the witches are? Seems risky. Etc., etc..

Anyway, I hope the next season is self-contained.
    TBINKANSASdivinemissem13
  • I just thought of something. If Mallory changed history then Moira never got the happy ending where Madison and Behold freed her spirit. 

telephoneofmadness - that's a good point about there being 2 Mallorys, since she would already have been born at the time she traveled back to. 

I think most of the first two episodes were basically a waste of time - they never explained about the mutants or why they fed them their horses, for example. They never really explained the thing with the snakes, either. They also made it seem like Michael hand-picked all the survivors but we were originally told that rich and powerful people bought themselves spots in the bunkers.

But in the end, they answered a lot more of my questions than I expected them to, so I'll give the show credit where it's due. 
  • Did Stephen King write this season? So much “character building” and side quests for a slap-dash rushed ending. “Shit, we only have 2 episodes left. Let’s throw in some time travel and then run over the Big Bad with a car. That’ll do it! Pass me more cocaine.”
    Elisa
  • Schlitz said:
    Did Stephen King write this season? So much “character building” and side quests for a slap-dash rushed ending. “Shit, we only have 2 episodes left. Let’s throw in some time travel and then run over the Big Bad with a car. That’ll do it! Pass me more cocaine.”
    I was literally thinking the same: seemed like a King ending (I love King but it’s rare that he has a satisfying ending)
    Elisa
  • "Evil truffle pig."

If Mallory went back in time, shouldn't there be two Mallorys in the new timeline? Also, if there can only be one Supreme, why doesn't Cordelia-Supreme die as soon as Mallory-Supreme arrives in the past? Also, why does Antichrist 2.0 have to be born in California, where the witches are? Seems risky. Etc., etc..

Anyway, I hope the next season is self-contained.

The answer to 2 Mallory’s would be that she just went back “into herself”...any other way to view time travel is just too much to wrap your mind around...

Another way to look at is the Russ Cole idea of sentience flowing back and forth through your whole existence at will, Mallory’s sentience is what went back, not her body.
    Elisa
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    I wish I wasn't too busy last week, I can't claim my internet points. I was shocked when A Ron thought that the introduction of time travel made it *more* certain it would be multi-season arc. I thought the exact opposite. As the episode was progressed, I knew I was right!

But then they showed the end with the teenagers, and I thought I was a fool! A Ron was right! This was all going to be a prequel because Cecily was also right and the two teenagers were from Season 2!

And then we got the real end. For a brief moment in time, I couldn't have been more happy that I was about to be proven wrong.

I was also sad that the idea that the Illuminati was fake and the Mutt and Fister had just stumbled upon manipulating the anti-christ through their robotic invention turned out to be wrong. I think that would have made the anti-climactic "Hit'em with a car!" final blows much more satisfying. Stupid anti-christ gets fooled by tech bros and then in a battle of witches, he just gets a hit and run to finish him off.

With all that said, I still loved the episode. The time travel makes sense. They kept on mentioning how Michael was too powerful now, trying to plant seeds that he wasn't too powerful before, so of course something as simple as a hit and run would work.

The only thing I didn't like about the episode was the final tie in with the teenagers. 
    Elisa
  • I JUST FIGURED OUT MUTT AND JEFF. 
    When Myrtle didn’t kill them (or Miss Veneble) at the beginning of this episode, she instead mind wiped them and gave them new personalities, designed to help suppress Mallory’s confidence!
    this is why Madison dropped Mallory and Coco at the hair salon and why she drove like a crazy person - since Coco was modeled after Madison, she knew that her reaction to bad hair would be to put Jeff/Gallant on retainer. 

I still dont understand why Joan Collins played two characters - maybe she was set up to keep Gallant in line? But that seems weak, especially given the way she died. 

All said, I would have MUCH preferred an extra 5 minutes of Myrtle mind wiping these idiots and explaining more to the thing at the end with the new anti-Christ. 

Elisa

• The answer to 2 Mallory’s would be that she just went back “into herself”...any other way to view time travel is just too much to wrap your mind around...

Another way to look at is the Russ Cole idea of sentience flowing back and forth through your whole existence at will, Mallory’s sentience is what went back, not her body.

ala Wolverine in X-men: Days of Future Past
    djcaudle01
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I was thinking about this and I'm sure I'm missing something, but why did they bother with the whole identity spell hide the witches in the bunker thing? Couldn't they have just kept all the witches in whatever underground thing/spell Sarah Paulson and crew climbed out of? They had to be alive to come and break the spell and whatnot anyway, so what advantage did they get by putting two of the witches in the bunker that were powerless until the rest of them showed up?
  • I needed to mention that Def Leppard's Joe Elliott clearly spawned Michael Langdon.  The resemblance is clear.  Ergo, Satan is the lead singer of Def Leppard.  We must contact the PMRC immediately. 
    Michelle